News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Necrons (RTT, 1850)  (Read 4076 times)

Offline prot

• Infinity Circuit | KoN Veteran
  • Prot ZA113
Re: Necrons (RTT, 1850)
« Reply #20 on: February 7, 2013, 01:15:28 PM »
Well it had skyfire, and it would pop up and with twin linked devourers (?), he had a ton of glances/pens every round. I really didn't have an adequate defense for it.

I admit he completely caught me off guard with it.  ;)

Offline Wuestenfux

• Veteran Force Commander
  • Ancient
  • Calculator of Off-Chances
« Reply #21 on: February 7, 2013, 01:34:18 PM »
Well, I've not yet played vs Nids in the 6th ed. In our local meta there seem to be none at the moment.

Offline Chuckles, The Space Marine Clown

• Can't Touch This; Captain; Swarmlord - Tyranid Sweatshop Operator; 40KO's Official WMD; "No American orphans, please"
  • Ancient
  • I kill, maim and torture because I care
« Reply #22 on: February 7, 2013, 02:17:12 PM »
Well it had skyfire, and it would pop up and with twin linked devourers (?), he had a ton of glances/pens every round. I really didn't have an adequate defense for it.

Well if you'd shot it a couple of times with one of your Night Scythes it would very possibly crash, take a wound and then be stuck on the ground where you could have finished it off with any amount of decent shooting.

Dakka flyrants are totally awesome, and they are indeed excellent for popping flyers, but they are also pretty easy to kill...with flyers. Or at least flyers can very easily ground them and set up the kill from the rest of your army.
The forum rules are fair and just. *twitch*

Offline Foxfire

• Necron Lord of 40KO | KoN Veteran
  • Ancient
  • The picture is a werewolf
  • Armies: Necrons and Orks
« Reply #23 on: February 7, 2013, 03:04:59 PM »
Having a few reservations about flying in general myself, in that the game doesn't seem to have really hit its stride in terms of balance (it has an unfinished feel, too many people with too few options creating obvious niches for future additions to their armies).  Not having played enough to see the kind of brokenness you're describing, I can still say that I've felt a bit uneasy thinking about such expensive models being popped as easily as Rhinos once flyer-counters are more prevalent.  It may be really nasty right now, but it seems ripe for a reversal since the only thing protecting Scythes is how difficult they are to hit? 

As for the Swooping Tyrant, I've played against one of them and it didn't seem terribly broken on its own, but I was sweating bullets up until it charged one of my units and got caught in the open (and on the ground) the next turn.  I can see how--in more experienced hands--that might have been a much less pleasant experience.

Offline bebe

• In Canada no one hears you scream
« Reply #24 on: February 7, 2013, 03:28:27 PM »
I can still say that I've felt a bit uneasy thinking about such expensive models being popped as easily as Rhinos once flyer-counters are more prevalent.

Facts do not support this. Necron scythe spam with MSU was widely used in 5ed and quite a potent list as was wraithwing. There were a plethora of counters in 5ed an the new rules - exploding scythes do not destroy passengers. embarking on a scythe - exacerbate the issue. 

I'm not sure how those dakka flyrants went unmolested to do their work. I've played flyrants and I agree they are strong but they are also quite vulnerable when targeted. Necrons have the tools.
Big man, Pig man, Ha ha, charade you are

You well heeled big wheel, Ha ha, charade you are

Offline Foxfire

• Necron Lord of 40KO | KoN Veteran
  • Ancient
  • The picture is a werewolf
  • Armies: Necrons and Orks
« Reply #25 on: February 7, 2013, 03:59:46 PM »
Sad to say I never played the new 'dex in 5th, so I'm not familiar with the tactics that were in play, though Wraithwing has been around since forever.  As for the 'dakka flyrant' being free to hit my lines, I didn't have anything to deal with it since it was my first game with the new codex and my list was mostly just a bunch of models I already owned to see how they'd play in the new age of 40K.  Suffice it to say that without anything more capable than Gauss Cannons to take it on, I decided to ignore the damn thing until it landed, then poached it with Gauss Cannon fire once it had its fill of Necron Warriors.

However, I think that we're getting a little off-topic.  This is about a list Wuestenfux posted, not general complaints about broken flyers.
« Last Edit: February 7, 2013, 04:02:22 PM by Foxfire »

Offline Wuestenfux

• Veteran Force Commander
  • Ancient
  • Calculator of Off-Chances
« Reply #26 on: February 7, 2013, 04:29:05 PM »
Foxfire, no that's fine. Dealing with enemy flyers is a big issue. Gamewise, its better to go 2nd and let the enemy bring the flyers first. Then its possible to counter them when your flyers arrive. Night Scythes are ideal for dealing with other flyers. Those tesla annihilators work wonders. Annihilation Barges can also be used for air defense. They carry the same weapon and every 6 to hit threefolds the hit making it very likely to damage the targetted flyer.

Offline prot

• Infinity Circuit | KoN Veteran
  • Prot ZA113
« Reply #27 on: February 8, 2013, 01:59:30 PM »

Well if you'd shot it a couple of times with one of your Night Scythes it would very possibly crash, take a wound and then be stuck on the ground where you could have finished it off with any amount of decent shooting.

Dakka flyrants are totally awesome, and they are indeed excellent for popping flyers, but they are also pretty easy to kill...with flyers. Or at least flyers can very easily ground them and set up the kill from the rest of your army.

I see a few people here telling me that the Night Scythe list (which I do not play anyway) is still omnipotent and that I may have done something wrong against the Nids.

I did say that I was caught off guard, but there is no doubt in my mind if you face a list with two of these, they are one of the top anti- Necron air units.

I just found a video bat-rep of a guy playing two of these things against a 6 Necron flyer army and the flyers could not take the Hive Tyrants down fast enough and the Night Scythes were almost all dead by turn 5.

In my game the Hive Tyrant (which I've been told is going to turn into 2 Hive Tyrants!) had Iron Arm. This was HUGE. Same with his Tervigons... both with Iron Arm.  After a while you are faced with the question, do you focus fire a flying Tyrant? Or do you start to work over the masses of junk running towards you? The Fly-rants were surprisngly durable... crash tests and all.

I'll tell you one thing, I've never wanted to play a total Necron air army, but seeing this in action personally, and from other people now there's no way I would take it to a tournament.

On a side note the Hive Tyrants are effective for longer because they have a 360 fire arc. So while I may be positioned in a manner that I cannot fire at a Fly-rant, the Nid player can easily pick a spot that limits your arch while giving him a shot at you. Also with nids and Gaunt spam you are limited even more so in where you can actually fit the flyer base.

Countering this isn't nearly as easy as you guys are making it sound. I strongly recommend you tell your Nid buddies about it and give it a go and see what experiences you have!  ;)

Offline BritishBill

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #28 on: February 8, 2013, 02:59:18 PM »
I am developing a Necron flier list but focusing on Deathmarks rather than Wraiths.

My other list is a Tyranid list with two Brainleach touting Flyrants, two Trygons, two Tervigons and assorted other units. The reason the Flyrants are so good against Necron Flier Lists is that if they are brought in on from reserve after your vehicles come in they get 12 re-rollable strength 6 shots which have a better than 50% chance of taking down a 3 HP flier with an armour value of 11. What makes them even more difficult is if they happen to roll Iron Arm on the Biomancy table. When they are then lucky again and become toughness 8 or 9, with a 3+ save, they become very difficult to take down. Being Flying Monstrous Creatures, they are not as fast as Necron fliers, but being able to shoot on a 360 arc and only having to move 12+, it is also easy to keep them on the table and in action.

If as the Tyranid Player I will be going first, the Flyrants start the game on the table and will probably take out all your Annihalation Barges before your fliers come on. Oh, just for good measure, my Flyrants are going to end up virtually on your board edge at the end of their turn two so you have a choice of bringing your fliers on at silly angles to target them or move to a place where you can drop your troops and get shot in the back by an evil Flyrant.

I am looking forward to completing my Necron list, but in the mean time I am really enjoying my current Tyranid list  ;D