News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Beginner Tau list for review:  (Read 1068 times)

Offline 2112et

• I *LOVE* EO and 40K.ca
Beginner Tau list for review:
« on: June 18, 2004, 10:49:41 PM »
I'm trying out 40k for the first time after spending a few years away from Warhammer Fantasy and I picked up on Tau mainly because of their look and story and also because its a newer army.  I'm still learning the finer points of the 40k rules and I put together this list along the way.  Since I was drawn to Tau because of their gundam styled look my list focuses on the mechanised aspect of the army (which is a topic I see brought up a lot on here).  I'm aiming to build up to a 1500 point army, and I've roughly followed Wiggus' guide for equipment selections, so here is what I have so far:

HQ:

Shas'o:  plasma rifle/missle pod/shield gen/HW multitracker/HW drone controller/2 shield drones - 167 points

2 Bodyguards:  plasma/missle pod/multi tracker/bonded - 160 points

Troops:

2 Fire Warrior squads:  12 per squad, half of each with pulse carbine/photon grenades/team leader/marker light/bonded/Devilfish with 2 seeker missiles - 524 points for both squads

Elites:

Crisis Suits:  single unit with 3 models, plasma rifles/missle pods/multi trackers/team leader/drone controller/shield drone - 217 points

Heavy Support:

Hammerhead:  railgun/SMS/multi tracker/decoy launcher/target lock/2 seeker missles - 200 points

Broadsides:  three in a single unit, standard weapons/target lock - 225 points, lacked points for other upgrades

If I did my math right it should come out to 1493 points.  If I made any rule violations with the equipment or didn't add up the points right let me know.  Also looking for any general suggestions concerning the unit choices/tactics.  I was thinking of gearing one of the crisis suit squads for CC, but I'll leave that open to debate.  I also want to make sure that everything will work effectively in the 4th edition ruleset.  Thanks in advance for any suggestions  :)

Offline Frgsinwntr

• Sisters burn
Re: Beginner Tau list for review:
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2004, 01:15:42 AM »
34 models is not alot in 1500 pts.... you may want to get more FWs

also split your crisis suits into 3 units of 1 each this way you can save points AND make it easier to hide them in cover.

Your broadsides same deal  you don't need to spend points on the multiple target gear if they are in 3 squads.

drop the photon grenades drop

try to make your hammer head cheaper :)
Chain swords are awesome.  The only way would be cooler is if they had tits and were on fire.

Offline 2112et

• I *LOVE* EO and 40K.ca
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2004, 10:20:39 PM »
I re-tooled the list a bit, the major change is that I took out a Broadside and fit in a Gun Drone squad with the points.  I came across a few things I needed advice on however... I'm assuming that I should put a target lock on the Shas'o, which I didn't have in the original list.  Also, is having two shield drones on top of the shield generator overkill or should I go with both?  Are carbines worth the range reduction for should I go all rifles with the FWs?  I have the Gun Drone squad there now but they will probably be used for deep striking when possible.  The Hammerhead has 3 seeker missiles on it now so I could put them on other models if that is a problem point wise.

Here is the adjusted list:

HQ:

Shas'o:  plasma rifle/missile pod/shield gen/HW tracker/HW drone controller + 2 shield drones/HW target lock - 177 points

2 Bodyguards:  plasma/missile/tracker/bonded - 160 points

Troops:

2 Fire Warrior squads:  half with carbines/team leader/marker light/bonded/Devilfish with 2 seeker missiles and decoy launchers - 510 pts for both

Elites:

1 Crisis x 3 units:  plasma/missile/tracker - 195 pts for 3

Heavy Support:

Hammerhead:  railgun/SMS/3 seekers/tracker/decoy/target lock - 210 pts

1 Broadside x 2 units:  SMS/tracker - 150 pts for both

Fast Attack:

Gun Drone squad:  8 models - 96 pts

comes out to 1498 pts.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2004, 10:23:10 PM by 2112et »

Offline The All Powerful Oz

• Veni, vidi, vici.
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2004, 11:14:12 PM »
In my experince... Hammerhead's are worthless. More than half the time they miss. 2 hooked up broadsides are cheaper than the hammerhead once you hook that up.

Drop the target lock on the Shas'o. You will want to concentrate all of your fire with your HQ squad at one place. I usually put shield drones on both my Shas'o(w/shield generator) and the bodyguards. This way these guys are beefed up with all those invo saves.

You deserved to be slapped if you ever take a Devilfish. It's worthless. You are better off letting your opponent come to you. I only use carbines if I know ill be doing a Mega-battle myself. the 18inch range just doesn't cut it. You will be better off just taking the pulse rifles. Team leader and marker light are pointless aswell. Just take Fire Warriors and bond them... And your set. I usually field small squads of multiple Firewarriors... Usually multiple 6 man squads that I can spread out to cover most of my table side.

My game experince has shown that Stealth Suits are one hell of a fun time. I always field a 5 man squad to get a total of 15 shots a turn...

Gun Drones... My god are these worthless. I have never had them do a single thing in a battle when I use them. They are usually the first to die.. Simple because they will be up with your fast moving guys and they dont have the benefit of the range of your suits or certain ones with stealth abilities...

Offline Frgsinwntr

• Sisters burn
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2004, 02:21:56 AM »
Oz, Drones are really good when used by someone with skill. you really have to play missions and know which targets to take out/pin and they become almost neccesary

the devil fish is great but you need to have it in a list where it can fit the play style.  when used properly, to transport a unit to capture a location/ flank an opponent they can be essential!  4th edition rules will make this great

i like 6 squads of 8 fws each, it provides a big firing base and its accuracy by volume :)

the hammer head... i kinda agree it is a risk, but it can be worth it, its alot more mobile then the broadsides, which any opponent who knows what he is doing will outmanuever with Ease.  plus with the new 4th edition rules, it becomes even more deadly

Chain swords are awesome.  The only way would be cooler is if they had tits and were on fire.

Offline The Orange

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2004, 03:18:56 AM »
With a hammerhead, 2 broadsides, and a couple of crisis suits to boot, i think you have enough anti-armor units. The seeker-missles are probably a waste, as well as the team leaders and marklights they carry.  I say drop them and get more troops.
I personally would drop the bodyguard, this would then give IC status to your HQ, and let him join other squads which would make him harder to kill (like a drone squad).
And 36 models in a 1500pt battle is laughable.  Even necrons will probably outnumber you, and as great as crisis suits are at killing stuff, they probably wont make thier points back agiant an army that uses mass tactics, espically when they only have BS3.
Your shas'o is way to expensive, i mean look at it. It cost more then its 2 bodyguards, and it cost more the the 3 regular crisis suits.  Do you really believe he will accomplish more then those 2 other units?  Getting 2 shash'el's (though still expensive) is probably a better bet then getting that single shas'o.  A shas'el with PR, MP, FB, and hard-wired MT will probably run up to about 100pts.  And if you want to add drones, have him join a small squad of drones, instead of using a drone controller.  In fact one of these shas'el's and 4 drones are still cheeper then your shas'o, they have more wounds, will get more shots off, have the posibility to pin a unit, can take down armor, wont suffer a LD test every turn when all the drones are killed, and are better at killing units with high armor saves, then that shas'o. 
But your main concern should be to get more troops.

Offline 2112et

• I *LOVE* EO and 40K.ca
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2004, 09:17:31 PM »
Changed the list up some, this is what it looks like now:

1x Shas'o: plasma/missle/shield gen/hw tracker
1 Crisis Suit x 3 units: plasma/missle/tracker
1x Hammerhead: railgun/sms/tracker/decoy/target lock
1 Broadside x 2 units: tracker
12 Fire Warrior squad x 3 units: leader/bonded - 2 Devilfish
8 Gun Drone squad x 2

1452 I think, still need to fill out those last points.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2004, 09:19:18 PM by 2112et »