News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Cursed Founding Chapters (different to below)  (Read 1811 times)

Offline dijit80

• errmmm...I am Bananaman!
    • Crimson Dusk
Cursed Founding Chapters (different to below)
« on: June 25, 2005, 11:33:00 AM »
Has anyone played with the Cursed Founding Chapters, I'm considering getting a Space Marine Army, but because they are 10 to the dozen I would like to do something a different, I'm also a reasonable converter, so a cursed chapter could be a way ahead, has anyone played them and any ideas.
I'm thinking of mixing skeleton pieces with normal marines, to have either something like the sons of antaeus (loyal plague marines sounds great!) or the Legion of the damned.
Crimson Dusk - Sci-fi rules in development, free to download:
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/Crimsondusk/

74th Scotia Highland Regiment Blog:
http://highland74th.blogspot.com/

Offline Tarantulus

• Aspiring Painter
  • That is not dead which can eternal lie
Re: Cursed Founding Chapters (different to below)
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2005, 04:00:31 PM »
I'm also a newbie LotD player, PM me and we'll have a chat, i've yet to play with mine but it seems they are quite a well balanced force... although i'm thinking of switching to using traits instead of the chapter approved rules cos everyone refuses to play against them.

they look great when painted though, i'll get my commander up in the painting forum as soon as I get time to finish him

Offline Pyro_00001

• Brother Captain of the Damned, Mr. Red | Veteran (really!)
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Scars are tattoos with better stories
  • Armies: Legion of the Damned
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2005, 04:33:23 PM »
A full army of converted Legion of the Damned marines will be my project while I am in iraq. I've foudn that the converions themselves are actually very easy to do well, so long as you have planed what you will do before the first cut.

Guessing there's a few LofD players here, how do they play? Are they worth it other than for the cool factor?

I can't really tell you how well they work, this will be my first SM army. They don't have special rules anymore, since the release of the new codex, but the old rules were really cool.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2005, 04:36:27 PM by Pyro_00001 »

Offline Tarantulus

• Aspiring Painter
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2005, 07:28:22 PM »
so have the old CA rule been made redundant now?? can you not use them in 4th ed?

Offline Pyro_00001

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2005, 08:27:23 PM »
Since the policy is that the latest material is always what is correct, then I'd have to assume that yes, the CA rules for the cursed foundlings are no longer legal for tourny play.

In a frendly game though, who cares about legality. Knock yourself out.

Offline dijit80

• errmmm...I am Bananaman!
    • Crimson Dusk
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2005, 11:26:45 AM »
Ok, I'm going to be brave and go for a Sons of Antaeus army and twist the Death Guard to fit (i.e. no daemons, daemonic gifts, nurgleish type stuff), until GW get around to producing new rules for the cursed foundings, it could possibly work. Does anyone please have any ideas? Or know anyone who has tried it (or something similiar)?
(also other ideas how to do other cursed foundings might be interesting and useful for other folks)
Crimson Dusk - Sci-fi rules in development, free to download:
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/Crimsondusk/

74th Scotia Highland Regiment Blog:
http://highland74th.blogspot.com/

Offline radeon182

• I *LOVE* EO and 40K.ca
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2005, 05:34:05 PM »
i have played the Cursed founding chapters in 3rd and fourth edition..

I currently have a Legion of the Damned army and a Black Dragons force.

Legion of the Damned, which is defently my favorit chapter since I played second edition, is really dificult to play. Do to poorly worded special rules you have to explain them to your opponent before every game. Personally I am lucky enough to play in a store the no one objects to chapter approved armies much.

as far as a gamming army goes. You put yourself at a disadvantage as soon as you pay 20 points for a marine that losses "and they shall know no fear!" even though they are undead ghosts! they get scared hehe..

now the deployment is very dificult.. You would think being able to place anywhere on the board besides the enemies deployment zone would be easy.. its not.. its scary! you can really put you units close to each other (risk them crashing on top one another) but you dont want to be to close to the table edge.. cause in warhammer world.. the world is flat..and goin off the table opens a rift in the space time continuem and thats not good :P jk.

with my legion of the damned I have always used lots of vehicle transports.. and I love the Abominations lead by chaplins..  I think its a very good idea to use rhinos.. they can come with hunter killers which helps a ton if you want them to deepstrike late in the game as a one shot wonder with their squad..

the legion of the damned is very hard to use because their marines can get to the combat fast but really dont have the options to be close combat monsters.. they dont shot very well because they are very expensive.. but with the rapid deployment and the ability to be in the opponents face turn 0 it pretty impresive.. I have used a land raider before full of Abominations and a chaplin Scatter into the enemies table quarter on turn 0(before the game deployment deepstrike rule) then get the first turn and the game started with me fighting incombat.. that happens pretty regularly actually.. this is important because for ever unit that scatters where it needs to be another scatters in the opposite direction.. Thats another reason the rhino helps so much.. redeployment after the scattter..

the army itself is solid and defently not over powered.. actually it is pretty underpowered because everything costs to much and they have limitations on everything...

However the black dragons are not something that takes a rocket science to figure out.. they are probibly the best cursed founding army out there.. Given the fourth edition rules with the chaplin..

Since you can easily ally 2 squads of Black Dragon marines as fast attack to any Codex marine army.. you basicly can have 2 amazing squads for chaplins to lead.. Assualt marines with Rending Talons and Reroll all misses on the charge is extremly powerful.. the price reduction for assualt marines basicly makes the black dragon assualt marine a steel.. hes 5 points more then a regular assualt marine but he comes with a pistol and 2 close combat rending talons (because his rending talons come off his elbows they dont lose there pistol hehe :P)

I personnally recomend the legion of the damned as a fun army.. They are really awsome.. Also the best part about them is after you Convert and model them into Real legion of the damned marines They work both as Chaos Space Marines and Codex Space Marines..

Nothing like building an amazingly fluffy and fun army like legion of the damned then multi modeling them as 3 different armies! :D

Offline Void

• BLAST OFF! IT'S PARTY TIME!
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2005, 09:27:45 PM »
Nonononono, LoTD do lose the special rule ATSKNF from the 3 ed codex but wont they dont lose is the USR ATSKNF ;)
How to justify one's self: I am a spammer, therefore I believe that all you say is spam and I am therefore able to destroy your reality and substitute my own.  So there.  Nyah nyah.

Also known as Freak Ona Leash at WarSeer.

Offline blackjoker4215

• For the Greater Good
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2005, 04:42:55 PM »
They dont lose their special rules, seeing how they are new chapters according to the CA, they get their special rules and they use the codex for reference, Sorta like BA and DA.

Offline Tarantulus

• Aspiring Painter
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2005, 04:57:09 PM »
yeah, I was under the impression that the CA rules in addition to the codex rules and therefore ATSKNF still applies.... makes sense seeing as they are already dead...

oh and for those of you who care, i got myself a MIB sergeant centurius today for....... £12!!!!! (thats like $6.50 to you americans)
so i am the happiest man alive!!

Offline Locarno

• Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Could I interest you in a small bribe?
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2005, 05:08:24 PM »
I think it'd be a bit dubious trying to claim and they shall know no fear on that basis....The phrase "does not benefit from and they shall know no fear" in the Chapter approved book  makes anything else rules-lawyering to a high degree

The nastiest black dragons unit has to be a chaplain leading 9 abominations (rhino limitations)!

Think....36 attacks on charge - since your critical rolls are instant kills and "backfire" hits aren't, you really come out ahead

ignoring the chaplain's attacks (a relatively foolish thing to do, but hey...)

You get

36 Attacks
(assuming marine opponent)
12 Hits 6 Critical Hits
18 Misses

Litany adds
18 Attacks
6 Hits 3 Critical Hits
9 Misses

Total 18 Hits 9 Critical Hits
Gives you 9 extra attacks (one each!) and 12 Kills on first round (more than one each!)

you get

3 Hits 1.5 Critical Hits

Litany gives

2.25 Hits, 0.75 Critical hits

Total 5.25 Hits 2.25 Critcal hits

Thats roughly 3 more kills. Extra attacks are probably not going to do anything more

Grand total:
15 Kills vs marine-equivalent opponents!!!!
Stories to read....
Songs of Earth
The Will to Survive Series

Tervigon Army List:
Games Played: 35
Termagants expended for the Hive Mind: ~2685

Offline blackjoker4215

• For the Greater Good
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2005, 08:52:44 PM »
Yeah he is right, they DO NOT get ATSKNF.  It cleary states that.  I didnt know that they were rending though.

Offline DevilSquid

• Lazerous Penguin
  • I'll be...bleh.
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2005, 09:51:38 PM »
I'm a huge Legion of the Damned fan, ever since I started playing, and I've finally ammased a worthy for for them.

I have to say that if you play LotD, don't use their CA rules. They're awkward and a lot of people don't like playing against it ("Deepstriking Land Raiders? WTH?").

And I don't understand why they don't have ATSKNF, but they don't, so that's another mark against them. Plus they don't have a higher LD to counter that.

I'd use LotD as one of three armies: Nurgle (Tomb Rot!), Alpha Legion (Infiltrate) or Space Marines with Traits (See but not be seen).

And congrats on getting a cheap Centurious. He's a great model!

EDIT: Oh, there has been 'rumblings' about them redoing the Cursed Companies. Hey, a Cursed Codex would be nice, similar to Eye of Terror.

D-DS
« Last Edit: June 30, 2005, 09:56:36 PM by DevilSquid »
"While the art of conversation is not dead, it is severly wounded."

Offline blackjoker4215

• For the Greater Good
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2005, 10:24:45 PM »
They should have ATSKNF because they are too low on number to say "Heck, let's jump right back into the fray!"  And yes the deepstriking LR is a bit odd but it is perfectlly fine seeing is how the LoTD are ghosts.

Offline Raven Nevermore

• The Highborn
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Though I walk though the valley...
    • Realm of Runes
« Reply #14 on: July 1, 2005, 12:16:30 AM »
im thinking about starting a legion of the damned. for the ATSKNF rule, if you use the CA article, they don't get it, if you use the standard codex they do. that would be my interpretation of it.

i will probably use mine as a standard codex force, until they get rules as such. anyone herd more about those supposed rumblings devilsquid mentioned?

im interested in hearing for existing players, do you convert your models or buy the proper legion ones? any conversion tips, or what bits to use etc? are the actual models worth buying?

Offline Tarantulus

• Aspiring Painter
« Reply #15 on: July 1, 2005, 04:43:08 AM »
the models are too expensive, the only one worth buying is the bike conversion kit... I'm converting all of mine using skulls (kindly donated by yoda) and a tomb kings sbox of skellies i bought off ebay

plus, all the LotD models have the old stumpy flamers and bolters, they look a bit odd IMHO

Offline Pyro_00001

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #16 on: July 1, 2005, 03:59:38 PM »
I'm actually working on a mix of the old metals and converted plastics.

I'm saving up some cash to buy Ranger Astheria's old SM army, as well as all of his old skelitons.

There is a lot to be said for the actual models. The Sergents were really good, the Sergent Centuruis is amazing (damn you Tarantulus) and the packpacks are just plain cool.

And if you can find the actual LotD bolters, they are really good. The same goes for the missle launcher, lascannon and heavy bolter.

The flamer, melta and plama gunners though... They arn't all that spectacular.

Offline Raven Nevermore

• The Highborn
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • Realm of Runes
« Reply #17 on: July 3, 2005, 09:24:29 PM »
well, if i end up doing a legion army i think i will get the actual models seeing as im not that flash at converting. using the actual models, is there any way that tactical squads should be set up using the available weapons? and the only models i have seen are the tactial squads, the assault weapons marines and the biker marines. would anyone have a link to the sergeant models, or any of the other models? and who is this Centuruis?

Offline Baron von Sakamoto

• And I still !$#%ing am!
    • Hive Fleet Cerberus: Cerberus Rising
« Reply #18 on: July 3, 2005, 10:08:45 PM »
I know that this may very well be off topic. Where are the rules for the LoTD, Black Dragons, Minotaurs and Lamentors? Which one is the one that uses daemon weapons?
« Last Edit: July 3, 2005, 10:11:02 PM by Baron von Sakamoto »
No list is right or wrong.
Angry Misanthrope. Don't mess with me.

Offline Raven Nevermore

• The Highborn
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • Realm of Runes
« Reply #19 on: July 3, 2005, 10:23:57 PM »
according to the chapter approved, none of them used demon weapons, its the relictors that use them (unless im mistaken). there was an old chapter approved with trial rules for the cursed companies, but since the new edition of 40k has come out they haven't been redone and in the cursed companies section of the uk gw website it says that rules are wforth coming, but that people should use the codex list with traits that seem appropriate.