News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Some question about 6th ed. and nids  (Read 1945 times)

Offline siggi28

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Some question about 6th ed. and nids
« on: July 17, 2012, 06:08:18 AM »
1. If Doom exchange his psychic power for perfect timing (ignore cover) in Divination section would then spirit leech ignore cover?
2. If MC use smash rule are the attacks rounded up or down?
3. Does MC only get one dice now for Armour pen.?
4. Can all/any unit try to use "Deny the witch" ?
5. Can you now change psychic power for psychic disciplines allowed in normal games/tournament?

Offline Chuckles, The Space Marine Clown

• Can't Touch This; Captain; Swarmlord - Tyranid Sweatshop Operator; 40KO's Official WMD; "No American orphans, please"
  • Ancient
  • I kill, maim and torture because I care
Re: Some question about 6th ed. and nids
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 06:23:58 AM »
1. Not really an issue, as Perfect Timing is a Divination power and Tyranids can only gain access to powers from the Biomancy, Telepathy and Telekinesis disciplines.

2. This is yet another area GW have failed to consider. I would say roll a D2 (1-3 or 4-6) for it.

3. Correct, unless their attacks have the Armourbane special rule MCs no longer get an additional D6 for armour penetration.

4. Yes.

5. I don't quite understand this question. If what you're asking is, can Tyranids with psychic powers from the Codex exchange them for powers from the main rulebook in a friendly game or tournament, the answer to both is yes.
The forum rules are fair and just. *twitch*

Offline Benis

• 77 Shades Of Decay | Lazerous Penguin | Death to the Emperor with a Pulse!
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Getkilling
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 06:40:48 AM »
2. This is yet another area GW have failed to consider. I would say roll a D2 (1-3 or 4-6) for it.

Quote from: BDB p. 5: General Principles: Dividing to Conquer
On occasion, you'll be called upon to divide the result of a dice roll, a characteristic or some other value. Where this happens, any fraction should always be rounded up. [emphasis mine]

Don't be too hasty with your judgement on what GW did or did not consider. ;)

Offline Chuckles, The Space Marine Clown

• Can't Touch This; Captain; Swarmlord - Tyranid Sweatshop Operator; 40KO's Official WMD; "No American orphans, please"
  • Ancient
  • I kill, maim and torture because I care
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 06:49:52 AM »
My bad, looked in the wrong place. Scratch that answer then.
The forum rules are fair and just. *twitch*

Offline Travellar

• Lieutenant
  • Hey Farley, call headquarters.
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 11:19:36 AM »
Thanks Benis, I've been looking all over for that. 

3) MCs have the smash ability, which allows them to trade half their attacks for the 2D6 we know and love.  Also doubles their strength to a maximum of 10, making a Trygon very nearly equivelent to a Carnifex in destroying stuff.  (I see no need for a Carni to use smash)
"he's either the most brilliant troll ever, or he's crazy." -Bloodhawk

Offline GaleRazorwind

• Hormagaunt
  • Ziltoid Lives!
  • Armies: Nids, BA, CSM
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 12:20:18 PM »
Actually, even Smash does not give you 2D6 armor pen, but it does let you re-roll the 1D6.
Ziltoid is so omniscient, if there were to be two omnisciences, he would be both!

Offline Locarno

• Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Could I interest you in a small bribe?
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 01:58:21 PM »
I see no need for a Carni to use smash

When facing something like a land raider, monolith or bunker, it's still worth it - a charging carnifex does 5 attacks with a 1/3 chance of hurting armour 14 (1.67 hull points), whilst a charging carnifex using smash does 3 attacks with a 3/4 chance of damaging (2.25) - even ignoring the significantly improved chance of explodes/immobilized/collapses/etc, it's still not a bad choice.

Against anything with rear armour 10 or 11, yeah, just go nuts with normal attacks...
Stories to read....
Songs of Earth
The Will to Survive Series

Tervigon Army List:
Games Played: 35
Termagants expended for the Hive Mind: ~2685

Offline siggi28

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 07:57:04 PM »
If hive tyrant charge armour 10 or 11 he'll get 5 att and he will need to roll 4 or 5 to glance which is not so good odds. Lucky to get 2 pen! but if you use smash you will get 2,5 attacks and round it up to 3 attack. And at armour 10 you will get 100% penetrating =100% success rate.
And at armour 11 you will get 84% pen and 16% glance =100% success rate. If you roll at normal strength and attacks you can become lucky but also very unlucky, but with smash you are guaranteed that the attacks will do some damage :)