News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: MVP Primary HQ?  (Read 1421 times)

Offline Hive Fleet Bahamut

• I like to play with my food before I eat it!
MVP Primary HQ?
« on: June 12, 2012, 08:04:03 PM »
Usually I run the Swarmlord (I like Genestealers,) or the Prime as my Primary HQ.  It seemed obvious that a Troop Tervigon (only have one model at the moment,) is optimal but had never really considered using it as HQ.  I notice the Prime generally has minimal impact, and the Swarmlord with Guard costing an arm and a leg in points for a unit that generally gets shot to ribbons long before combat.  I have only run the Tervigon as HQ for one game so don't have extensive know how. My first impressions are that I have invested into HQ instead of adding wounds to a warrior squad (or whatever Prime grabs,) or buying a pointsink death-star of slow.  I have yet to use the Parasite so I can not account for his rating, but the question is this, does the Tervigon take MVP for Hq as Primary?  If not what is your choice?

I almost can't justify cheap as an excuse with the Prime anymore, sure he CAN help win battles, but the Tervigons help is more consistent in my experience.  Same goes for Swarmy, wreck face in cc, but 400+ points is hard to watch wander around all game even with the reserves benefit. 

1. Tervigon
2. Swarmlord
3. Prime
4. Tyrant
N/A Parasite
Tyranid assimilation brought to you by the letters "Om nom"

Offline GaleRazorwind

• Hormagaunt
  • Ziltoid Lives!
  • Armies: Nids, BA, CSM
Re: MVP Primary HQ?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 01:51:01 AM »
I typically only take a Tervigon as an HQ in medium points games. Between 1250-1500. I almost always play at 1850, so I almost always field them as a troops choice.

My HQ choice depends on the list I am running, but usually ends up being a Hive Tyrant. In my triple Trygon+double troop Tervi list, I run a vanilla Tyrant with HC for the reserve bonus, and I will occasionally use it to outflank one of my two Gant squads (the other gets put in normal reserve for late game objective capturing). It happens to be the cheapest way to get the reserve bonus for turn 2, and the Tyrant can still fight decently enough as is. In my Flying Wing list, I go big with him: my Super Old Adversary Dakka-Flyrant (AG+2xTLDev's). He typically stays at the back of my cover phalanx, but springs forward as needed to support my Shrikes/Raveners. Jumping over vehicles and blasting their rear armor is always fun, and with OA and AG, he is a fearsome foe in combat. One giant glass cannon to add to the collection featured in that list.

I have actually fielded the Parasite on several occasions. He can be extremely fun to play with, particularly against GEQs. There is something just priceless about a lone Parasite in combat with an enemy squad, and then BAM, they are completely surrounded by Rippers. How much good those Rippers actually do is debatable, but it certainly gives a nice psychological effect. He is more expensive than a Prime but cheaper than a properly equipped Tervigon/Tyrant, and he usually prefers a squad of Shrikes or Gargoyles to accompany, but if your Troop Tervies happen to spawn a good squad of Gants, he can stick with them for a little while and jump out at an enemy squad when they get close.
Ziltoid is so omniscient, if there were to be two omnisciences, he would be both!

Offline SeriousCallersOnly

• Brother Sergeant
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • This is not a Space Marine
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Tyranids
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 04:07:47 PM »
Personally my first pick is usually the Prime, then a troop tervigon, then if I'm playing over 1500, the tyrant. Almost always. I've not used the swarmlord yet, though. Now that the extra arms are available, I may well give him a go. I've not used an HQ tervigon either. I can't really see the point, as he's so much more valuable as a troop unit.

Offline Hive Fleet Bahamut

• I like to play with my food before I eat it!
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 10:13:05 PM »
So it seems that my consensus was about right.  I need another Tervigon.  Now my 2x Tyrants can be paperweights again. 

Tyrant chuck 12-72" S9 AP-  Assault 1, loss of model.  Opponent may return throw if still conscious. In this case opponent is required to laugh and say you throw like a gaunt.
Tyranid assimilation brought to you by the letters "Om nom"

Offline Master Bio-Titan BT

• Armies: Chaos Marines and Tyranids
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2012, 10:45:49 AM »
I haven't used a Prime or Warriors yet, they are collecting dust on sprues.

I only use the Tervigon as a Troop because she is too valuable as an objective holder and spawning Gants to maintain a defensive line and multi-objective holders.

I always play 2k points, no less, unless its a Tourney.  So, I am using a SL with 2 TG in most of my army composition because I play a deepstrike and outflanking GS heavy armylist.  The SL is too valuable to getting those units where you want them.  If your SL is getting gunned down then you need to utilize cover better.  Remember, that if you put 2 TG into terrain, then the whole unit benefits from a cover save, including the SL!  Otherwise, if only the SL is in cover then you will need to obscure him 50% and have a TG in cover.  Its all in the arrangement of your models!  Get those cover saves!!  Take advantage of Shield Wall!

I do use The Parasite with Gargoyles as well.  Works well in smaller point games.  In large games like 2k they end up getting shot to pieced with the Parasite left to fend for himself.  Hasn't been to successful for me, but fun and different.  The Parasite cost too much points IMO.  He CAN be a good IC killer but thats it.  He has to Rend to take advantage of the Implant attack ability. ???  He is squishy, so if first attempt fails, he is not likely to do anything as most other IC will kill him first attempt.

The HT is good too, but I would rather take advantage of the few extra points for a SL who has a better effect on the table.  You have to kit out a HT for her to be effective, gets expensive quickly.

2008 CSM Poster of the Year

My CSM Conversions & Tutorials (Updated 12-22-12) 

My Tyranid Conversions & Tutorials  (Updated 12-23-12)