News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 3 mawlocs a good idea?  (Read 1228 times)

Offline nawari

• Ork Boy
  • There is a bit of wulfen in all of us.
  • Armies: Space Wolves, Orks, White Scars
3 mawlocs a good idea?
« on: April 10, 2012, 01:47:23 AM »
hey all.

my mate just gave over his tyranid army to me to keep hold of. since he is too busy for the hobby and all. so im thinking of adding to the collection and making a new list for myself to use.

my question is are 3 mawlocs are viable option? my plan was to have them start on the board and then borrow first turn so i have 3 pie templates coming up second turn.

my list will also have genestealers along with ymergal. a hive tyrant with wings, with 20 or so gargoyals. i'm thinking hive commander upgrade to help with my reserves.

anyway this is all just speculation. im not after a super competative army, but i dont want one that will get creamed either.

what do you guys think?
Wish i had my own pet thunderwolf! Then i could ride into work and people will be like "Dayymm he so awsome right now!"

Offline NecronCell2131

• KoN Veteran
  • Mindshackle Scarabs Abuser
  • Armies: Necrons, Vampire counts
Re: 3 mawlocs a good idea?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 04:19:43 AM »
If you face greyknights its both a good idea and a terrible idea, they deepstrike and make lovely little circles for you and then force poke your monster dead.

Id suggest 1 or possibly 2 if you want but run trygons there just better for more phases of the game.

But once again if you play greyknights go hordes of little guys! Biggies get squashed  :'(
My Tesseract Labyrinth Collection:
 1xDreadknight
 Enemies Doored by Monolith:
 1xBlack templars dreadnought,1xChaos lord,1xEmperors champion,1xDante,1xBelial,4xMelta guns that failed to kill it,1xWolf lord,1xStraken

Offline Master Bio-Titan BT

• Armies: Chaos Marines and Tyranids
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 05:44:56 PM »
At least have one start on the table that way you have alternating pie plates.  Otherwise, your opponent need just simply hide in cover on turns 2, 4, and 6.

Your really not gonna get positive feedback regarding them, they are not that popular but they have a role on the table.  Too pricey for an average of 3 AP2 pie plates in a game for a single Mawloc, then there is scatter and cover saves, so not really that great of a unit as they can be easily avoided to decrease damage dealt. 

They kinda suck in CC, no scything talon re-rolls although they have them physically, just not in their profile, and they have a low amount of attacks, so you would be lucky to assault a moving vehicle and get 1 hit at St7 with Adrenal Glands, but +2d6 helps for being a MC.  Otherwise he is a pop and hide kinda guy/gal.

Little influence in the game in my experience.  If you really want pie plates, consider three units of 3 Biovores, the numbers will decimate enemy units, especially GEq and horde style armies.

2008 CSM Poster of the Year

My CSM Conversions & Tutorials (Updated 12-22-12) 

My Tyranid Conversions & Tutorials  (Updated 12-23-12)

Offline bebe

• In Canada no one hears you scream
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 12:02:13 AM »

If you are playing GK anything that needs to DS - spores, mawlocs, etc., is affected by the warp quake rules. You have to drop outside the 12". Now that isn't terrible for units that have a 24" shooting range but for everything else (most of our codex) it is bad.  It means we waste a turn getting into position and leave ourselves open to be blasted off the table. Now outside of that it is not terrible taking Mawlocs although two is plenty - just know they can be very inconsistent. You have the means in your list to cluster them though. Genestealers keep them away from board edges and Ymgarls away from terrain. Add some spore pods and you really can mess with your opponents deployment.
Big man, Pig man, Ha ha, charade you are

You well heeled big wheel, Ha ha, charade you are