News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Tyranid model list  (Read 5108 times)

Offline SeriousCallersOnly

• Brother Sergeant
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • This is not a Space Marine
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Tyranids
Re: Tyranid model list
« Reply #20 on: January 9, 2012, 02:16:39 PM »
Hive Guard and Zoanthroapes (especially in a Mycetic Spore) are THE Elites to get.  The rest pretty much suck or have little use

Disagree on this one. Ymgarls are awesome - I never leave home without them. Beware of using too many though, as they can be difficult to deploy, particularly if your chosen cover is occupied by the time they become available. No 'offical' models, but normal genestealers with the feeder tendril head would work. Or use older models, which is what I did.

Agree though that Hive guard and/or zoanthropes are usually pretty essential.
« Last Edit: January 9, 2012, 02:18:45 PM by SeriousCallersOnly »

Offline spiderbite

• Armies: Tyranids
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2012, 07:32:02 PM »
As for the elite slots, while I certainly agree that Zoanthropes and Hive Guard are the way to go and perform well, don't underestimate using a Venomthrope. I have used them to great effect (and my relief) while slogging with Carnifexes. I have found that they are often the target of as much heavy weapons fire as the enemy can muster, so that invulnerable save shouldn't be overlooked.

Offline The Last Melon

• ***PERSONALITY IS FOR THE GUARDSMEN***
  • Armies: Tyranids, Chaos Space Marines
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2012, 06:10:50 AM »
I agree.  Never neglect a venomthrope on the loose, plus they increase the survivability of the Gants.

Pyrovores and Lictors have also saved my bacon more than once, and they can be a very nasty surprise for an opposing player, especially in a mycetic spore for Pyros.  In fact all the Elites are deadly when used right, so you may want to ask your friend what playstyle they want.  (Zoanthropes are still my favorite.  I have to face several tank-happy armies...)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 06:13:53 AM by The Last Melon »