News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: digging out the 3rd edition aliens - CC my list please - rejoining the hive mind  (Read 986 times)

Offline The Quiz-at Haterak

• Archon of Kabal of the Dripping Blade
Tyranids were my first army and they were kewl. I loved but moved on. Digging around in my shed I had a "shed load" more than I realised. It inspired me to buy the codex and I liked what I read so started putting together a list. It includes some models I don't have but hey ho.

Anyway any advice would be greatly appreciated

2 flyrants, hive commander, old adversery, adrenals, 2 * twin linked devourers

death leaper
7 ymgrall steerler
3 zoanthropes in spore with VC

7 steelers + broodlord
1 tervigon
15 gants in spove with vc
3 warriors in spore with vc

3 spore - spore min cluster

Trygon prime with adrenals.

1750 pts

I am looking at an all reserve list so I believe that 2 hive commanders is mandatory. I love tricksies so deathleaper, ymgrals were a must for me. This is also why spore mine cluster is in to annoy and deny deployment. And the trygon looks wicked so I am going to have to pick him up.

steelers and gants only non multi wound creatures so I think I have saturation covered.

Concerned about anti tank and relying some what on getting rear shots on rhinos via all the deep striking. as for all the av 13 that necrons will be bringing to the yard well "le sigh"!

feedback please peeps? gimmie som'in to work wit!
If at first you don't suceed. Skydiving was never for you!

Offline Travellar

• Lieutenant
  • Hey Farley, call headquarters.
1) all reserves/deepstrikes lists can be fun, but they won't win you any games.
2) Mysetic spores automatically shoot the closest enemy... with whatever they have... even if it's a blast weapon more likely to scatter onto and hurt your own units. beware.
3) those Tyrants are really going to cost you.  Their rules don't stack, so you may want to trim them down a bit.
4) if it's the sounds of screaming you enjoy, consider a Mawloc.  Also, consider looping the soundtrack for the movie "Dune"
"he's either the most brilliant troll ever, or he's crazy." -Bloodhawk

Offline GaleRazorwind

• Hormagaunt
  • Ziltoid Lives!
  • Armies: Nids, BA, CSM
My philosophy is that you should never run just one Trygon. You should always have at least two of them, and do what you can do to make sure they both come in on the same turn. A single DSing Trygon is a high priority target and will likely die to concentrated fire. On the other hand, it is far more difficult to try and bring down two of them at once, let alone three.

As Travellar said, Hive Commander doesn't stack with itself, and the Lictor/Deathleaper Pheremone trail won't stack until turn 3, assuming he gets on the table on turn 2. With my personal experience, I've found that most of the time, all you really need is a single unit with +1 to reserves, typically either a Tyrant or the Swarmlord, to be effective, unless you are playing a very large game.

It would be worth reading the Tyranid FAQ. There are some important things in there.

Honestly, I've tried all of the special characters, but I have found that, for the most part, you're better off with other choices. The Doom was broken pre-FAQ, but now he is pretty lackluster. The Deathleaper generally doesn't do enough with his special rules to justify his points cost and the Elites slot he takes up. Old One Eye has a speed problem. He is basically no more survivable than a regular Fex, doesn't have Fleet, can't take a Spore, and can't hide in another unit. The Parasite is mainly a "fun" choice. Against most opponents, you'll be lucky to spawn any Rippers at all, although I feel with the release of the Necron codex, he is going to be more popular as the perfect anti-scarab unit (lol 5 attacks hitting on 3+, wounding on 2+ with S=2xT and Rending, and then a 4+ to spawn Rippers. I'm dieing to test my theory >^_^<). The Swarmlord has the most potential to be useful right now, although you really need to build the list around him.

You're experiences may vary, of course...
Ziltoid is so omniscient, if there were to be two omnisciences, he would be both!

Offline The Quiz-at Haterak

• Archon of Kabal of the Dripping Blade
just read the faq - its the main retailer of nerf from nerf street in nerfville, nerfdom. thanks for pointing this out to me.

So what does win games - tieried advancing lines with venomthropes? or just hive guard and tervigons?

Well glad I don't have to take the second hive tyrant - I'm not a big lover of copying units for the sake of it!

Dune!mmm;-)

« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 09:42:56 AM by The Quiz-at Haterak »
If at first you don't suceed. Skydiving was never for you!