News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1500 Point list. First 6th ed game  (Read 1398 times)

Offline St. Louis

1500 Point list. First 6th ed game
« on: April 19, 2013, 04:59:23 PM »
After a very long hiatus from Warhammer I’m finally deciding to dive back in. This is my first attempt at a 6thed. game as well as my first experience with the new codex so I defiantly feel like I have a lot of learning to do. This is the list I plan on using soon. If anyone has had any experiences that give them some incite positive or negative into my choices I’d love to hear them.

Commander, 123
Twin Linked Plasma Rifle, Plasma Rifle, Advanced Targeting System
My commander is going to become attached to the two man crisis team. He is clearly designed to be an Infantry killing machine. The ATS will allow him to pick of dangerous models as well as allow him to make sure my opponents can’t shuffle multi wound models around to keep them alive

Crisis Team, 195
Shas’ui
Twin Linked Missile Pod, Plasma Rifle, Marker Drone
Shas’ui
Shas’ui
Twin Linked Plasma Rifle, Missile Pod

Crisis Team, 195
Shas’ui
Shas’ui
Shas’ui
Twin Linked Plasma Rifle, Missile Pod

Crisis Team, 138
Shas’ui
Twin Linked Plasma Rifle, Missile Pod, Marker Drone
Shas’ui

My Crisis Teams have the same job as before, Stop enemy mobility then clean up on infantry. Right now I have one TL Plasma Rifle in each squad just to make sure that I do have enough on an infantry punch but if I encounter any problems with transports they will be changed to TL Missile Pods

Fire Warrior Team, 189
11 Fire Warriors
Devilfish
Disruption Pod

Fire Warrior Team, 198
12 Fire Warriors
Devilfish
Disruption Pod

I haven’t run any Fire Warrior teams above 6 man in a very long time. This will be my first 6thed. Game and I am very curious to see how they do in the new rules. I still think that Devilfish are important to have even if you’re not transporting anything in them but time will tell. I honestly am very close to scraping them and getting a load of Kroot but for now Ill see if I can get by on mobility and Firepower

Piranha Squadron, 150
Piranha
Fusion Blaster
Piranha
Fusion Blaster
Piranha
Fusion Blaster

Piranha Squadron, 50
Piranha
Fusion Blaster

I think Piranha have become incredibly useful given the upgrade to the Pulse Carbine. Also they are now our best option for killing heavy vehicles. In the game they will be disengaging their drones at the first opportunity. Right now the Piranha are in a 3-1 configuration to maximize Markerlight usage but they may be better in a 2-2 formation

Gun Drone Squadron 84
6 Gun Drones
Marker lights

Mobile Markerlights like these could be very damning to my opponent. Again they fit more with the mobile theme of this army then pathfinders would but time will tell.

Long Strike Hammer Head 175
Disruption Pod
I really felt that I needed something that could reliably destroy heavy vehicles at range and this was the best option. He is expensive but if used properly could buy valuable turns for my army.

I really feel like this list has around the right ratios of Firepower for what I want to do. I feel a bit lacking in scoring units and with time I may take a second look at the mobility approach and decide to include more foot units.  I’m set for a battle with Chaos Space Marines sometime in the near future I’ll be sure to post the results.

Offline Plastikente

• Back Online!
  • Armies: Craftworld Eldar, Dark Eldar, Tau
Re: 1500 Point list. First 6th ed game
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 04:03:18 AM »
Welcome back to 40k!

My first thought on your list is that you're very light on scoring units. In 3 of the 6 standard missions, only troops can score, and with 1 Heavy Support choice there's a fourth you're not much better off in.

Personally, I would drop one of your big Crisis teams to get 2 more foot squads of 10 FW. Pulse Rifles still give you plenty of anti-infantry fire, and you overcome power armour by weight of fire instead of low AP. You do lose a little-anti-transport fire (although FW can still knock down Ork Trukks and DE Raiders), but I think it's a reasonable trade.

Also...
Gun Drone Squadron 84
6 Gun Drones
Marker lights
Unlike pathfinders, drones don't carry carbines and lights - marker drones just carry 1 markerlight. They are more mobile than pathfinders, and can play move-shoot-move games, but their lower BS means you'll get fewer hits from them than a unit of pathfinders.

Offline Shas Oh dear

• When life gives you lemons, PLASMA EVERYTHING!
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 08:10:08 AM »
Pretty much as Planetstrike said, in 6th troops are key and transports are much less common (though that will vary depending on your local meta) which means combined with our recently reworked codex we have a lot more options. Fireknife-6/7's are still likely to work but they aren't the only choice any more. With more troops your list is looking solid but be careful with those piranha's as they are pretty flimsy and constitute the majority of your anti' Av13+.

The only other concern is Hordes as I'm not sure you will have the kind of quantity of fire needed to deal with them especially as you have no form of template weapons, adding the submunition upgrade for the Railhead is definitely worth the small points cost.

One final caveat; your 2 firewarrior squads are undercosted by 5pts and your longstrike hammerhead is under by 10.
What's WS got to do with anything?

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2013, 11:04:42 AM »
I'm generally an opponent of the idea that 'more troops = better army', so long as the rest of your army operates under the idea that you will be killing the enemy troops or contesting objectives and only plan on claiming one objective yourself. I run with 2-3 scoring units (two mounted FWs and maybe a team of Kroot), and I've never really had a problem.

If you're going to run like that, though, you need more stuff that can put a big hole in infantry. My list (for the old book) featured a pair of hammerheads and 6 flamers plus a Airbursting Frag Projector. For the new book, I'd recommend getting more blast and template weapons into the list somewhere, either with a Riptide, another Hammerheads, or alternate crisis suit builds. You probably won't need as many missile pods as you have there and could probably use a bit more weight-of-fire type stuff, ranging from Stealth Teams to alternate crisis suit builds to footslogging Firewarriors or something.