News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: LD shenanigans  (Read 3546 times)

Offline faitherun (Fay-ith-er-run)

• Armies: Pointy Ears and bugs
LD shenanigans
« on: October 10, 2014, 05:18:36 PM »
So, looking through our new dex I found the Archangel of Pain and the Armor of Misery. These seem like they were made for each other.

And, wait, what's that? You say I can give them both to an Archon who happens to have a PGL too? Hmm, not bad, not bad.

But this Archon, his range is not to hot with these weapons... oh look, I can take a dedicated transport for him. Not to shabby. And it seems that this puppy can take a Torment Grenade Launcher, which is basically the same thing as my PGL. Not bad at all.

But you know, flying around in a paper plane may get me there faster... but only if I can weather the storm of lead hail on my way in... maybe I should just slip out of this dimension for a tick... good thing theres this handy WWP laying about...

While I'm slipping through the Web Way though, it can get a bit lonely cackling only to myself... wonder if I can pick up my goody-two-shoes uncle and his pals. There's a bit of space in here and they like to mess with ppls minds too.

The unit: Archon, Armor of Misery, Archangel of Pain, PGL, WWP in a Venom with NS, and TGL
Joining them are 3 Warlocks and a Telepathy Farseer.

The Warlocks are hoping for a 2 - to use Horrify. One will most likely go to the priamris power, meaning that the Venom ends up with stealth and shrouded.

Assuming I get Horrify, and get it off, that means a unit within 6 inches of the venom has a -7 ld penalty, and uses that for checks against the Archangel of Pain. We can fire off the TGL and Psychic Shriek as well.

Total cost of this unit is 425 pts if I did this math correctly.

You will almost always be able to get the first shot off. After that... perhaps not so much but I see this a nigh impossible to counter except by the enemy having no units worth you pulling this trick on. As for most deathstar units though, I think this could make a suitable counter.

Thoughts?
So, what your saying is it's not your fault you look stupid by using words you don't get?
Flawless logic.

Offline Fenris

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Aeldari
Re: LD shenanigans
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 06:53:12 PM »
Why not bring a Iyanden shadow council of 4? Those spiritseers can choose between the warlock powers and telepathy.
However you may not cast blessings from inside a transport :(

I was thinking of running a shadow council of 5 with each spiritseer embarked on a venom each, with cannon upgrade and splinter racks. Each spiritseer will be able to get psychic shriek, then hope for a 4+ on the sanctic power table.
This will allow them to shoot witchfire, shoot splinter cannons twin-linked (very nice when jinking) and then have the spiritseer jump out and assault something with both flesh and armour -bane.
Neither of the non witchfire sanctic powers would be bad for this, hammerhand helps AT, +1 to inv save, yes please, or teleport yourself.

Edit: The Hemlock is not bad for LD purpose either :)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 06:56:27 PM by Fenris »
Ego in propria persona, non compos mentis.

Offline Wyldhunt

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 07:12:21 PM »
I tried something less intense (portal+angel+armor of misery) against orks the other day.  He rolled snake eyes (the jerk!) against both the angel and the nearby torment grenade launcher, but it does seem we have some potent options at our disposal.  The archangel is really nasty and works quite well with this tactic, but it's only a single use.  Be sure to load up on torment grenade launchers so that you can bombard the enemy with "leadership wounds" all game long. ;)

The obvious drawback to this plan is that many armies (marines, daemons, some chaos marines, tyranids within synapse, etc.) are largely immune to this trick, and it's semi-expensive to pull off.  Still, I may resort to using such "fear tactics" if I can't find a better way to handle the orkstar player I mentioned in another post. Scaring his meganobz has proven quite satisfying in the past...

Offline Der-Al

• Armies: Dark Eldar & Craftworld Eldar
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2014, 06:39:07 PM »
@Wyldhunt: Please correct me if I’m wrong but I’m sure daemons are not immune to PGL effects. I’m reasonably sure that daemonic instability states that they automatically pass fear, pinning and moral tests, but does not state that they automatically pass a leadership test which is the wording of soul fright rule.

But please correct me if I’m wrong, as I’ll be playing against daemons next weekend and was looking forward to scaring them to death. (Everyone else I play against are marines of one flavour or the other so I don’t have anyone else to try this on)     

Offline Starrok

• Emerhelp - IT Outsourcing
  • Armies: Eldar + Dark Eldar allies
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2014, 04:38:29 AM »
Don't want to put you down from the skies, man, but your idea has a few flaws.

Archon, Armor of Misery, Archangel of Pain

Read the wording intently - you can only put EITHER armor of misery OR archangel of pain to your archon. Not both at once.

Venom ends up with stealth and shrouded.

Primaris of runes of battle puts shrouded on the caster, not on another unit, so no way that shrouded can be on venom. Also, the venom can't even take Night Shields, so no stealth there either. One option would be dabbling into telepathy looking for Shrouding, but then you will have to disembark and stand near the venom (which kills the whole point of it), and your venom will still have to jink to get a good save.

As an whole, I'd recommend looking at armour of misery + horrify + psychic shriek combo on a few iyanden spiritseers on your boats that fly into assault. Toss a couple of grenade launchers here and there and you have an even scarier amount of LD-based checks. Toss a Hemlock here, and it gets devastating.
Teach yourself to be the light amongst the dark;
Stream as a river by the groaning dusts...

Offline faitherun (Fay-ith-er-run)

• Armies: Pointy Ears and bugs
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2014, 03:02:00 PM »

Read the wording intently - you can only put EITHER armor of misery OR archangel of pain to your archon. Not both at once.

Venom ends up with stealth and shrouded.

Primaris of runes of battle puts shrouded on the caster, not on another unit, so no way that shrouded can be on venom. Also, the venom can't even take Night Shields, so no stealth there either. One option would be dabbling into telepathy looking for Shrouding, but then you will have to disembark and stand near the venom (which kills the whole point of it), and your venom will still have to jink to get a good save.

As an whole, I'd recommend looking at armour of misery + horrify + psychic shriek combo on a few iyanden spiritseers on your boats that fly into assault. Toss a couple of grenade launchers here and there and you have an even scarier amount of LD-based checks. Toss a Hemlock here, and it gets devastating.

All true and valid points. This is why I brought it here to check over for me so that could see if it was a valid idea or not.

Looks like I may need to borrow the Iyaden supplement to see if its worth getting and what they can do for me...
So, what your saying is it's not your fault you look stupid by using words you don't get?
Flawless logic.

Offline Wyldhunt

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2014, 12:15:05 AM »

You have brought me much sadness.  Though I shall return to my archon with your words, there will be no feast of pain to celebrate our good fortune. Instead, there shall only be a much smaller feast of pain to mourn our disappointment.  More seriously, that is a bummer.  My eldar and dark eldar fluff is tied to collecting powerful artefacts, and the relics are a good way of doing that.  I feel obligated to take the archangel on my succubus for fluff reasons.  It's too bad I'll only be able to experiment with the other artefacts on my archon or hypothetical haemonculus.

Still, craftworld psykers seem like an awesome pairing for our ld-based wargear. Maybe my warlocks will finally see some use!

Offline Starrok

• Emerhelp - IT Outsourcing
  • Armies: Eldar + Dark Eldar allies
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2014, 08:05:54 AM »
You have brought me much sadness.

What stops you from taking two archons? :) One with armour, other with helmet. That fulfills most needed roles. And besides, I believe that multiple CAD are banned only on large international championships and here where I am, so you can just take more archons? :P
Teach yourself to be the light amongst the dark;
Stream as a river by the groaning dusts...

Offline Plastikente

• Back Online!
  • Armies: Craftworld Eldar, Dark Eldar, Tau
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2014, 01:53:17 PM »
The obvious drawback to this plan is that many armies (marines, daemons, some chaos marines, tyranids within synapse, etc.) are largely immune to this trick, and it's semi-expensive to pull off.
As much as I love the idea of the new PGL/TGLs, this is their major downfall.  I tend to play pick-up games at my LGS, and so all of my lists are "all-comers" types.  I just can't afford to be throwing points at Wargear that can't even affect the most popular army out there...  :(

As an aside, I have always thought that the CWE Hemlock Wraithfighter should really have been a Dark Eldar flyer.  Sure, we don't have psykers, but the Mindshock pod and Terrify psychic power just smack of the kind of warfare we have always pursued, not the Craftworlds.  I have to try one out as an ally (I'll fluff it as a DE contraption though - maybe something the Haemonculi hvae concocted).