News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Which General's Handbook to buy?  (Read 1673 times)

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
Which General's Handbook to buy?
« on: September 15, 2018, 02:36:43 PM »
So, I've got the 2nd Edition Core Book, read it, liked it.

Do I need to get *both* General's Handbooks, or can I get away with the newest one only? What is in each one?

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
Re: Which General's Handbook to buy?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2018, 02:46:28 PM »
So, I've got the 2nd Edition Core Book, read it, liked it.

Do I need to get *both* General's Handbooks, or can I get away with the newest one only? What is in each one?

GH 2018 should be all that you need, Wyddr. Each edition of the GH includes in-depth looks into Open, Narrative, and Matched Play respectively. The biggest change from book to book is the updated list of points cost for every unit in the game, at the back of the book. Allegiance abilities and battalions for factions that do not have a battletome or simply need more battalions are also included, but I think all of that stuff in the GH 2017 have been transferred into the newest 2018 Edition.

The only real change that I think doesn't translate between the GH 2017 and 2018 editions are some of the battle plans that games are based around. All of the battlepans with the new, refined mechanics are in the GH 2018. Such as heroes who are wizards or have artefacts can actually score on certain maps, etc.

Personally, I would just use the GH 2018, which is what I'm doing :).

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2018, 03:16:03 PM »
You only need the 2018 one. It completely replaces the 2017 book. Each years book replaces the previous years.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 11:02:57 AM »
Yep, you’ll be fine with just the 2018 one.  Though I think I may have read somewhere that anything in a GHB (like artefacts or alligence abilities) that isn’t replaced by a newer GHB entry remains valid.  I could be, nay, probably am, completely wrong about that though. 

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2018, 11:30:15 AM »
Yep, you’ll be fine with just the 2018 one.  Though I think I may have read somewhere that anything in a GHB (like artefacts or alligence abilities) that isn’t replaced by a newer GHB entry remains valid.  I could be, nay, probably am, completely wrong about that though.

No, older versions of the book are completely invalid. It's like an updated codex.

There is no reason to try and buy an out of date generals handbook, besides nostalgia. Even the matched play missions from the previous handbooks are now in the 2018 handbook and core book.

Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria