News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Rogue Trader-esque Warbands and Character Conversions, and anything else I fancy  (Read 48664 times)

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
Dude! WOW! John Carter conversions?! Are you kidding me!? I LOVE THEM! Dude.... so sick... I love the John Carter books... Edgar Rice Burroughs is one of my all time favorites. Incredible, incredible work. I've got to show this to my brother! Damn man... insane work as always! You truly are reaching legendary territory my friend. Keep up all the great work. Truly astonishing. TarsTarkas4Life!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
Ynnead, I'm continually impressed by your imagination and your skills to bring that imagination to life. Excellent work as always.
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
@Cav Haha glad you like them! I've been wanting to do Tharks for ages, but was mulling over the best way to do them :) I've seen them done with Kroot before, but they didn't seem to have the connection to Mars I was after. Plus, having them be gene-altered humans just feels very 40k to me ;)

I would like to call them by their alternative title though. 'How to turn two £6 Ruststalkers into one £12 Ruststalker' ;)

@Loosh Thanks man, you genuinely flatter me :) now if only I could paint like you I'd be set!
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Little update too :) I got some paint on someone!

What's that son? Oh, he's our Crow...
...No he's not one of us. Comes from over the hills to the north somewhere...
...No they usually wander around alone. Sometimes five or six get together and talk in their scratchy Crow-speak...
...I'm sure Abhiru would say they're plotting something. Bit excitable that boy. Not sure myself. All I know is they've got damn good eyesight. Now shh, hear that convoy approaching? Get your rifle ready. You'll see why we keep him around.

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
He's cool Ynnead! I also love the little fiction piece too, it really speaks to my love of Westerns.

Once again, you've hit all the right notes with your modelling, painting and fiction, creating something truly fresh and exciting. Great work!
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Saim-Dann

Niiiiice!
-The John Carter modelling style: You've wielded the bits and pieces of Skitarii like a pro, mate. Have brought them up to your usual standard.

-The painted model: What an eye catching piece. The detail in the bag is perfect. Keep it up, Ynneadwraith. Your one of my favourite modellers on the forum.   

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Thanks guys!

@Loosh I hadn't even thought of making it sort of western-y. I'll have a think of how to lean on that a bit going forwards :) I've got a load more planned, but they're sort of nomad waste scavengers. The crow-scout would go really nicely as the native guide for a gun-slinging bounty hunter ;)

There's a brilliant guy on Ammobunker where a lot of the INQ28 stuff happens who's doing a bit of a Wild West thing with creepy servo-horses. Here's where he's up to:

Really nice stuff :)

@Saim Dann Thanks man! Glad the paint's done the trick ;) must get some more done :)

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
Dude.... killer! Oh man you are slaying these conversions. We gotta have a "best conversions" award next year because these deserve recognition! Brilliant work as always Ynnead. Keep rolling bud!

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Haha thanks dude! I'm sure you'll place well in that as well ;)

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
@Looshkin you've got me thinking now. While they were originally going to be nomadic scavengers i'm now thinking something Western-y might be fun to do.

What do people think?

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Finally got round to painting my Knight Errant :) I had been umming and arring about what paint scheme to paint him in but ultimately plumped for the same one I always do ;) the idea behind the sector is that it's been ravaged by Nurgle so every planet is uniformly desertified. I could start a new place, but if any of the models end up together the basing will be disparate. Plus, this way he can be doing his errant travelling through the same sector :)

"Excuse me good sir, can you point me to the nearest...wait...do n't do that...my friend here needs his skull to live. No I would not like to be sacrificed to the hungering gods. Just point me towards the nearest Prometheum vendor please."

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Had a little fluff idea that I just couldn't leave alone so the little pack mule got painted up pretty quickly!

The Pilgrim's Guide to the Galaxy: Salazar's Scar
A most curious region of space. Salazar's Scar, as it's known to the locals, is located on the very eastern fringes of the Imperium. Discovered by the eponimous rogue trader in 651.M37, it was promptly marked down as an area of little economic interest, with a limited population and only a passing trade in eldar artifacts.

The Scar itself is a crescent-shaped reach of star systems comprising 50 or so habitable worlds. Habitable in this case is a generous definition, for each and every life-supporting world is comprehensively desertified. Only a few worlds sport hives, which mostly operate as individual polities rather than forming any sort of interstellar government. Space travel is limited, although there are a few shipping lanes that run between the more heavily populated worlds and derelict orbitals. Most inhabitants are techno-tribal in nature.

Amalgams
Amalgams are a curious tradition among the Knight Worlders who inhabit certain reaches of the Scar. In their basest description, they're composite servitors, constructed from a number of different individuals rather than a single vessel. Not too dissimilar to chimerics the galaxy over, really. However, it's their social function that's most fascinating. Members of Noble Houses, and some of the more powerful Ignobles, exact tribute from those who they have bested either in single combat, martial enterprise, or political manouevering. The lattermost is frowned upon as unchivalrous somewhat, although that in itself might be a ploy by the more manipulative Lords.

Basically, it works like so. The victor in a tussle of any sort is provided with a servant from the losing party. This servant is incorporated into, or forms the beginning of, the composite-servitor known as an amalgam. These amalgams form a living display of one's victories, and an indication of one's social standing. Particularly powerful victors, or those who win particularly decisively, may demand a particular servant be donated. Or, rather, they may make a suggestion it would be most unwise to refuse. Thus, not just the size but also the intricacy of an amalgam is impressive. There is tremendous artistry involved in creating the most impressive amalgam, the better to display your societal standing.

This practice has bled out into the other cultures in immediate contact with the Knight Worlders, so it's possible and even probable that one would encounter such creations in the populated sections of the Scar. It's important to keep alert to the presence of them, lest you be surprised by the true political standing of an individual you are liaising with.

At first, Thibaut didn't realise the creature in front of him was an amalgam at all. It appeared to all the world to be an ordinary servitor, albeit a very finely made one. However, from this close, his optical bionics noted the fine lines of stitching criss-crossing its skin. With this revelation a shiver ran down Thibaut's spine. What colossal edifice of political and martial might would be required to be able to acquire the donations of...over 330 his bionics implied...tributes of such close physical and genetic similarity as to be almost indistinguishable from a single being? His own amalgam, cobbled together from three hodge-podge tributes he was quite frankly lucky to have acquired, was quite pathetic in comparison really.

He glanced around the receiving-hall and spied at least two dozen similarly adorned servitors. Now that he knew what to look for, the stitching was easy to find. Sweet merciful Salazar what had he gotten himself into? Suddenly, going Errant didn't seem like such a good idea after all...

Offline Saim-Dann

G'day Ynneadwraith!
Really enjoyed this post, mate. What at first seemed to be just a description has turned into a great little yarn. Well done! The modelling and painting, as always, matches your penmanship/typingship. I always look forward to your posts, Ynneadwraith. When there's a list of replies, I always leave yours till last... Be well!

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Thanks dude you flatter me ;)

I've found I'm relatively good at starting yarns but relatively bad at making them go anywhere. There's hope yet i supppse though ;)

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
Love this little dude! I've got a Cyber-Mastiff for my Dark Angels that I love. I gotta finish up his base. The warrior looks great too. These'd be great for a RPG. Great stuff Ynnead!

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
Such a fantastic fluff piece Ynnead. It's like I was reading it write out of a GW codex. Keep it coming.

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Thanks a ton guys! I've got another little fluff piece written up for this guy, but i need to come up with an Inquisitor first. Can't wait though!

Until then, I thought it was high time to get some paint on the Techno-Greeks :)

+++Access Astropathic Burst Dated 257.057.M42+++
---Estimated Point of Origin: Antigonos System---
---Callsign: Unknown Archaic Designation 'Diadochus'---
---Flagged: Problematic---
+++Recall Excerpt+++
At last, the yoke of the Astartes has been lifted. Harried and overstretched, they have not the might to contain us. Join me and sail to the stars oncemore. Join me and reforge the empire taken from us. Join me and Antigonos shall rise again!
+++End Excerpt+++
+++Redesignate following pict-captures: Hostile, Retaliate With Prejudice+++

+++Cease Access and Distribute+++

Offline Saim-Dann

Hey Ynneadwraith!
You've heard this from me before, but I don't recognise anything but the power shields. With them on your pieces, I'm assuming they are more of your custom assembly..... Niiiiice!
I'm really liking the helmets. Well done,mate! 

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Thanks man! They're mostly Kairic Acolytes from AoS, with Stormcast heads, Ruststalker Taser Goads and the aforementioned Storm Shields :)

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
Looking good bud! These guys could be proto-Thunderwarriors. Imaginitive as always, keep it up!