News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: W40K FAQs  (Read 4436 times)

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
W40K FAQs
« on: November 17, 2017, 04:35:54 PM »
Where may I find them?
The FAQs and questions are currently located here: FAQs - Warhammer Community

How often are they updated?
Usually not long after a Codex has been released, say two-three weeks then whenever a significant whoops is discovered.

Great, may I post within this thread when a new FAQ is released to alert others while gaining great glory for myself, my family, and my nation?
Of course, feel free. However, better to discuss how a particular FAQ works within the appropriate army board to get the better more focused brain trust.

Why isn't this thread on the sticky list?
No-one reads those.

Why am I typing in bold?
Because you're a terrible person who will never know the company of others.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Online Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
Re: W40K FAQs
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 04:37:52 PM »
Why isn't this thread on the sticky list?
No-one reads those.
But if it is stickied, then we can just link and be done with it.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 04:41:21 PM »
See, the only way I realised you'd replied was because this wasn't a sticky thread. As new FAQs are released the thread will bop up and down like a happy puppy presented with an arse flavoured tennis ball.
Drink
Knights Tippler

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2017, 05:05:24 AM »
Until they stop releasing FAQs, or there is a long gap between releases, at which point it will need to be stickied, otherwise I will bet all the beverages in your fridge that someone will still start a new topic because they didn't scroll down the page to see this one ;).
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2017, 02:08:11 PM »
Your lack of faith in our fine, fine, members is disturbing. However, if such an infraction does occur, we all know who to turn to.

Drink
Knights Tippler

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 4, 2017, 10:57:16 PM »
Tyranids and Grey Knights, you've been selected for correction. You know where to go.
Drink
Knights Tippler

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2017, 01:49:11 PM »
They're going for a new strategy.
1 - Errata a few weeks after a codex drop like now.
2 - Six monthly big lad FAQs
3 - Annual Chapter Approved release.

More importantly to you lot:
To make this is super-easy, we’ve created an email inbox just for Warhammer 40,000 rules related feedback.

40KFAQ@gwplc.com

They're also proposing to change how Smite works.

Longer form here:
The Future of FAQs and Chapter Approved - Warhammer Community
Drink
Knights Tippler

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2017, 02:26:13 PM »
The two beta changes are great. They shouldn't be beta changes, as they fix a lot of abusive army builds.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2017, 02:40:47 PM »
Putting a structure in place is a very good idea and is going to help to alleviate the problems of not being able to appraised of all the updates, so I like what I'm seeing in this regard.  In addition, the new e-mail address is a very interesting development, although I have a feeling that they may come to regret it, depending on the quality of some of the suggestions that they are sent ;).

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2017, 02:45:38 PM »
Such as 20+ page manifestos going into before unforeseen detail and analysis why something should be 2+ rather than 3+ and how the game as a whole suffers greatly because of it? No one would do such a thing.

If they are going to reply to emails I hope they publicly publish them on the community page or Facebook else we get into the age old "GW told me that I'm right!" arguments with no proof or consistency.
Drink
Knights Tippler

Offline Irisado

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2017, 05:58:58 PM »
That or at least publish the generic question that was asked, so that the answer has some kind of valid context.  Proof and consistency will be essential for this to work, I agree.

The other point which still remains unclear in my mind is whether they are going to update the core online rules to reflect changes made in Chapter Approved, or whether these rules will only be available in Chapter Approved.  I'm guessing that it's going to be the latter, but I would like to be mistaken.

Online Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2017, 07:03:06 PM »
The two beta changes are great. They shouldn't be beta changes, as they fix a lot of abusive army builds.
I'm already hearing complaints about the proposed changes to smite from the "non-competitive players in the area.

It's kinda funny actually.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Blazinghand

• Warlock | Master of the Ravenwing
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Die for the Emperor or die trying!
  • Armies: Eldar, Orks
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2017, 07:13:31 PM »
I'm already hearing complaints about the proposed changes to smite from the "non-competitive players in the area.

It's kinda funny actually.

I like the smite change that is proposed because it doesn't affect most players who use smite once or maybe twice per round but does affect smite spam. My group has decided we'll start using these rules immediately as house rules until they are in effect. I do wonder about how some smites which are supposed to be weak and common and are therefore nerfed (like Warlock Destructor) fit into this.
Quote from: Howard Zinn
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2017, 09:22:12 PM »
They're still casting smite sadly so they're affected. My warlocks are busy casting other powers anyway.

Offline Blazinghand

• Warlock | Master of the Ravenwing
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Die for the Emperor or die trying!
  • Armies: Eldar, Orks
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2017, 09:39:47 PM »
They're still casting smite sadly so they're affected. My warlocks are busy casting other powers anyway.

Yeah, as it so happens Warlock Smite is already really bad so I have only cast it 2 or 3 times across over a dozen games. So probably not an issue for me.
Quote from: Howard Zinn
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2018, 04:30:46 PM »
Blood Angels, Dark Angels, and Space Marines have all recently been updated.
Drink
Knights Tippler

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2018, 06:38:31 PM »
Chaos Daemons, Chaos Marines, and Death Guard - come on down for corrections.
FAQs - Warhammer Community
Drink
Knights Tippler

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2018, 11:38:35 AM »
Codex: Adeptus Custodes time. Also forgeworld preliminary rules.
Drink
Knights Tippler

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2018, 10:57:46 PM »
Thousand Sons, you know the drill.
Drink
Knights Tippler

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
Fall FAQ out
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2018, 05:27:17 PM »
The big fall FAQ(s) are out. Be sure to check out the codex specific FAQ's, as well as core book FAQ and Errata's for all the changes.

FAQs - Warhammer Community

Most notable changes.

1) No deepstrike turn 1 at all. Strategems which allowed reserve deployment turn 1 (like which Ravenguard and Alpha legion have), are changed to a free move before the game begins instead.

TACTICAL RESERVES

Instead of being set up on the battlefield during Deployment, many units have the ability to be set up on teleportariums, in high orbit, in ambush, etc., in order to arrive on the battlefield mid-game as reinforcements. When setting up your army during Deployment for a matched play game, at least half the total number of units in your army must be set up on the battlefield, and the combined points value of all the units you set up on the battlefield during Deployment (including those that are embarked within Transports that are set up on the battlefield) must be at least half of your army’s total points value, even if every unit in your army has an ability that would allow them to be set up elsewhere.

Furthermore, in matched play games, units that are not placed on the battlefield during deployment in order to arrive on the battle mid-game as reinforcements cannot arrive on the battlefield during the first battle round.
Finally, any unit that has not arrived on the battlefield by the end of the third battle round in a matched play game counts as having been destroyed.

2) You can only gain 1 CP per turn, so CP farm is gone (thank goodness). If you have an artifact, or warlord trait, which lets you gain more than 1 CP at once (like Harlequins Twilight Warlord Trait), you get all those CP, but the ability only works once per turn.

There are several Warlord Traits, Relics and abilities that give you a chance to gain or refund Command Points when you or your opponent either use a Stratagem or spend Command Points to use a Stratagem. In matched play games, each player can only gain or have refunded a total of one Command Point per battle round as the result of such rules, regardless of the source.

This does not apply to the Moment Shackle or the Seven-fold Chant abilities, or to or the Player of the Twilight Warlord Trait – in these cases, the ability/Warlord Trait can refund or gain the player more than 1 Command Point if the Stratagem used cost 2 or more Command Points to use, but once any Command Points have been gained as a result of the rule neither it, nor any similar rule, can be used to gain any more Command Points until the next battle round. Also note that this does not apply to Command Points that are gained or refunded as specifically instructed on Stratagems (e.g. Feeder Tendrils, Agents of Vect, etc.).

3) Units which can fly, or have fly-like abilities, can only use that ability in the movement phase. Units can no longer ignore models and terrain when charging.

4) Psychic Focus, Battle Brothers, and Targeting Characters are no longer Beta Rules, t1 deepstrike still is, with the new changes.

5) New Beta Rule strategem for players going second.

PREPARED POSITIONS
Stratagem 2CP
Use this Stratagem at the start of the first battle round, before the first turn begins. Until the end of the first turn, all units from your army that are wholly within your Deployment Zone, other than Titanic units, receive the benefit of cover, even while they are not entirely on or in a terrain feature. A unit that is already receiving the benefit of cover gains no additional benefit from this Stratagem.

6) a number of Strategems had their CP cost increased, to make them harder to pull off as often.

Codex: Chaos Daemons, page 126 – Warp Surge Change the rules text of this Stratagem to read: ‘Use this Stratagem at the start of any phase. Select a unit of Daemons from your army; until the end of the phase, you cannot re-roll saving throws for this unit, but its invulnerable save is improved by 1 (to a maximum of 4+).’
The following Stratagems appear to be too effective. As a result, we are increasing their Command Point cost by 1 each. These changes appear in the respective errata documents, but are shown below for convenience.
Codex: Blood Angels, Page 136 – Upon Wings of Fire Change the Command Point cost of this Stratagem to 2CP.
Codex: Imperial Knights, Page 109 – Oathbreaker Guidance System Change the Command Point cost of this Stratagem to 3CP.
Codex: Imperial Knights, Page 111 – Order of Companions Change the Command Point cost of this Stratagem to 3CP.
Codex: Imperial Knights, Page 111 – Our Darkest Hour Change the Command Point cost of this Stratagem to 3CP.
Codex: Drukhari, Page 120 – Agents of Vect Change the Command Point cost of this Stratagem to 4CP.
Note also that the Agents of Vect Stratagem has received an errata. This change appears in the Codex: Drukhari errata document, but is shown below for convenience.
Codex: Drukhari, Page 120 – Agents of Vect Change the final sentence of this Stratagem to read: ‘This Stratagem cannot be used if there are no Kabal of the Black Heart units from your army on the battlefield, and cannot be used to affect Stratagems used ‘before the battle’ or ‘during deployment’.’

These are pretty much the biggest changes. In my opionion, I think they are all healthy changes to the game. CP battery and the strategems which made a lot of Imperial armies super powerful are addressed, as well as Vect, which is probably the strongest strategem in the game.

The new Beta rule for going second helps prevent Alpha Strikes, which the game needs too. Overall, I am very happy with this!

What do yo folks think?

Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria