News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Insights on 500, 750 and 1000 point lists  (Read 4616 times)

Offline Foxfire

• Necron Lord of 40KO | KoN Veteran
  • Ancient
  • The picture is a werewolf
  • Armies: Necrons and Orks
Insights on 500, 750 and 1000 point lists
« on: September 18, 2013, 10:37:22 AM »
Okay, so I've played nine games in 6th edition with the Necron codex so far.  The other gamers in my group have played less than this or not at all, barring one, and I'm hoping to bring them back into the game so that we can have fairly regular events again at the local game store.

To this end, I'm trying to revamp my army, get it repaired and painted (for the first time in a very long time, sadly) and field an army with no proxies.  I'm off to a good start, and finding that it's a little freeing to approach the game from a purely 'field what you have and do the best you can' standpoint, rather than taking advantage of our usual laid-back attitude regarding proxying what you want.  I've been the worst offender by far and I'd like to welcome the guys back with an army that looks as good as theirs do.

All that said, I don't want my army to get curb-stomped all the time.  Our group is casual, and I've always performed well enough that I can get away with some suboptimal choices, but our whole group hasn't joined 6th yet and I'd like your insights on how these low-points lists might perform once the rest of my group arrives.

Of my old models, the ones that I think are salvageable (read: weren't converted or built so badly in my youth that they're unfieldable) are...

Necron Lord (original with the pharaoh hat)
Necron Lord (first codex version)
Destroyer Lord (conversion, warrior with pariah scythe, DE shoulder pad and cape riding an old destroyer hover platform)
Overlord
10 old-fashioned Immortals (5 of whom are pre-codex warriors, but I've always fielded them as Immortals since they're so bulky)
5 Immortals (first codex)
25 Immortals (converted from Warriors, with gun-modifications and scarabs on their backs as a sort of 'upgrade', 10 built for Tesla)
15 Warriors
7 Scarab Swarms (misplaced a few...going with five per base I only had enough for seven)
3 Wraiths (first codex)
5 Destroyers
16 Flayed Ones
5 Pariahs (planning to convert to Crypteks...hoping to run a full anti-tank HoDestruction unit w. a Lord soaking up incoming fire)
Monolith (converted...the real thing looks awesome but how do you guys transport them?  They're enormous)
Annihilation Barge

So that's what I'm working with.  Active group members currently play Space Marines, Dark Eldar/Tau (plays both not allies), Eldar and Drop-podding Dark Angels.  Haven't seen the new Tau or Eldar codices, though.  Group members I'm hoping to suck back into the game play Tyranids, Tau, IG, Khorne-themed CSM, and Catachan-themed IG.  My intended low-points lists are follows.

500 pts
Overlord w. Weave
5 Immortals w. Gauss
5 Immortals w. Gauss
9 Warriors
3 Wraiths
--Playstyle involves using the Overlord to absorb punishment for the Warriors so that they have some staying power in claiming objectives.  I plan to fiddle around with running the Immortals as one squad or two squads, but I suspect they can survive in 5 man groups more easily than Warriors can.  The Wraiths can be used for anti-tank if needed (the the preponderance of gauss will help with that), or to confront TMC's, daemon princes, and small terminator squads, all of which I expect to run into.  Also, they'll be good for scaring the life out of my IG and Tau opponents, presuming they don't get shot down right away. 

750 pts
Overlord w. Weave
10 Immortals w. Gauss
10 Immortals w. Tesla
8 Warriors
3 Wraiths
Annihilation Barge
--Playstyle is pretty similar to the list above.  Beefier troop units, more variety of firepower, more firepower in general.

1000 Points
Destroyer Lord w. Weave/MSS
10 Immortals w. Gauss
10 Immortals w. Tesla
8 Warriors
3 Wraiths
Annihilation Barge
Monolith
--I know the Monolith isn't as tough as it used to be, but it's still my best method of moving units around the board without caving and dumping a ton of money on new flyers.  Strategy here is for the Warriors to go it alone, presumably seeking an objective that's in cover, while the Lord rushes off with the Wraiths to mess with my opponent and/or be a massive speed bump for some of the nastier CC threats.

Let me know what you guys think.  I figure there are holes I'm not seeing, given my inexperience with the edition and codex.  I'm not too worried since my friends are similarly green, but I will likely grab the odd game with strangers at the store and don't want to be laughed off the table  :P

« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 02:25:20 PM by Foxfire »

Offline Milford Cubicle

• Might I enquire about your spoons?
  • Armies: Necrons, Tyranids, Blood Angels
Re: Insights on 500, 750 and 1000 point lists
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 02:57:59 PM »
I think you're off to a pretty good start considering the models you have  :). I like that you've put considerable amount of points in troops, that's how I like to play, too. And troops take the objectives that win games.

On the 500pt list I'd swap the gauss on immortals for tesla. At such low points level you're unlikely to face heavy armor, and against Rhinos and such Tesla is as good as gauss. But the real advantage is the range. Tesla is also great on Overwatch.

The bigger lists are a logical continuum for the first, and make good sense, although the 1000pt list feels a bit underwhelming. But with those models there's little room for improvement. You may need to get some new toys to be more competitive, I'm afraid :).

Hope that helps!
Strange movements at the graveyard detected... Is the Necron board coming back to life?!

Offline Slick Samos

• Que!!
  • Armies: Tau, Dark Angels & Salamanders
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 04:36:14 AM »
I wouldn't worry so much about being competitive if your main aim is to get the group playing again.  The last thing you want to do is bring a Flyer along...  Keep painting, it's definitely worth it :)
Play more games, paint more models...

Offline Foxfire

• Necron Lord of 40KO | KoN Veteran
  • Ancient
  • The picture is a werewolf
  • Armies: Necrons and Orks
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2013, 05:26:31 PM »
Well, as of now the 500 point list has one loss on its record.  Teamed up with an Iron Hands player who seemed to be learning his way around his codex, and played a Space Marine player (also learning the new 'dex) at 500/500 vs. 1000.  It did not go well, though part of that was the mission type and another was army compositions.

My teammate took two squads of scouts with sniper rifles (not terribly useful against our foe), a dreadnought outfitted for shooting only (TL autocannons) and five assault marines in a rhino, carrying a librarian who was upgraded to use two psychic powers and had some sort of special CC weapon that made him nasty in CC without being Initiative 1.

Our opponent took...
4 tactical squads with a rather motley assortment of weapons (a plasma cannon, missile launcher, plasma gun, and a flamer),
3 bikers (one of whom had a plasma gun)
1 attack bike
5 terminators w. Assault Cannon
1 librarian with some randomized ranged attack I've never seen before

We ended up deploying first, centering our formation so our fast CC elements would be able to respond regardless of which side of the board he deployed on.  He picked a side that denied sniper access to his bikes and essentially overwhelmed us with bodies as the game progressed.  I got a bad feeling when I realized that I was standing against a 1000 point SM army with nothing but one rhino of assault marines and a generic Dreadnought at my back.

There were some epic moments, crazy charge ranges, Warriors beating terminators in combat and wraiths passing none of their saves against a certain force-sword toting Librarian, but in the end we were defeated by a rolling tide of blue-armored bodies.  Alas for my Necrons, this Iron Hands player has a reputation for choosing team-lists that minimize the threat to his own forces, and we took the full brunt of Space Marine aggression ourselves.

I don't think this game was terribly informative in terms of learning to play this list beyond the knowledge that 500 points of Necrons can't handle 1000 points of new Space Marines, but if you can think of anything that sounded like it went wrong, I've got open ears.