News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!  (Read 63329 times)

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
Re: Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!
« Reply #100 on: February 8, 2017, 06:44:36 AM »
Looking great Ynnead. Reavers are sooooooo good. They are not easy to run, but they are a fantastic unit as DE-Guru Lawrence from TTT has proven time and time again. Very interested to see how you paint them.

Also the Hellion JB's look good too. I think Modern Synthesists stuff is really great. His painting skills are sick too.

Anyway great stuff man can't wait to see how you paint those bikes!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #101 on: February 8, 2017, 08:05:59 AM »
Thanks man :) yeah it's reading about Lawrence and Skari's cheeky barsteward tactics using them that's persuaded me to break my jetbike bias :) something about turbo-boosting your Reavers right up to the face of a Rhino so the squad inside physically can't disembark, and then nuking it with Caltrops on your next turn just appeals to the inner sneaky git in me ;)

As for painting them, I'm weighing up either the standard Warplock Bronze for the jetbike itself highlighted with Runelord Brass, or Runelord Brass for all vehicles shaded with Flesh Wash/Warplock.

What do you think?
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #102 on: February 8, 2017, 08:15:00 AM »
Oooh... cool scheme. I'd go with Warplock Bronze as the base though. Runelord Brass is gonna be pretty bright... I like Warplock because its dark... the metallic effect is subtle and in certain light it'll play as a normal color with just a glint of metal. I that'll give a really sinister and lethal look to the models. Thats just my preference though!

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #103 on: February 8, 2017, 08:35:08 AM »
Sold! I was leaning towards that anyway for coverage purposes :)

Warplock Bronze with a healthy dose of blood-spatter along the Bladevanes :)

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #104 on: February 9, 2017, 08:58:16 AM »
Well, the story for Fracture of Biel Tan has finally made it out into the public domain! It's a hell of a read I must say, and has assuaged many concerns I'd had about the direction of the fluff and the general tone of the 40k universe :) link's here if you haven't seen it:

https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/717304.page

That does mean that I get to wheel out my Craftworld's reaction to it all, nicely coinciding with some work I've just done on my decade-old Guardians :)

An account of the final days of the Crone Cycle, as written by Farseer Bellatheral of the Angvai
As word filtered through the webway of the fracture of Biel Tan, great swathes of Angvellaith's population were leaving to join the burgeoning Ynnari death cult. However, the seers did not welcome this with open arms. Since the fall they had learnt bitter lessons regarding strangers bearing gifts. Long had they listened to the heartbeat of the Dead God. Of late, worrying glimpses of its consciousness had crept into their vision.

Despite the growing voice among their populace asking the Craftworld to pledge allegiance wholly to the near-born saviour of the Eldar, they preached caution. Emissaries would be sent with words of friendship and alliance to this new faction, but also agents placed among the throng of converts, reporting back to the high seers of Angvellaith.

Unique among the craftworlds the Angvai could stomach these losses, their dark pact with the Commorrites ensuring they could be replaced given time. However, their latest batch of Warborn was yet to arrive. Knowing well the troublesome nature of their cousins, Fueduin, Autarch of the Angvai, would undertake the perilous journey to the Dark City, tasked with uncovering the source of the delay.

Despite initial skepticism, I'm definitely excited about the plot moving forwards :) so many opportunities for cool narratives :)

As for actual models, I've always had the idea in my head that I would just paint my models as well as I could accomplish quickly at any particular point, and then go back and do some touch-up work as and when my painting had improved. First on the list for improvement is the ancient Guardians I'd painted well over a decade ago!

Before and after:

Just a quick dab of Reikland Fleshshade in the recesses and to shade underneath some of the bumps in the armour, some embellishment on the bases and a quick wash over the cloth elements. Hope it's done the trick!

Also, one thing I do not miss in the slightest is the tendency for the old Skull White spray paint to occasionally produce a really bumpy surface. New stuff is much better. Good riddance!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #105 on: February 10, 2017, 06:42:24 AM »
Looking good Ynnead! Always love seeing Eldar in really pale colors... I love the more ghostly look especially for Craftworld models. Great stuff man...

Right there with you as far as the old Skull White, the new paints are amazing. The longer I do this comission painting thing, the more amazed I am at the quality. The yellows are simply crazy... I can't believe how easy it is to paint white and yellow.

Anyway great stuff man. Love it!

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #106 on: February 10, 2017, 07:51:44 AM »
Thanks dude :) yeah I can't wait to get my hands on the Triumvirate and apply it to them :) I think it'd work quite nicely!

Oh yeah I remember the old yellows. Had to do about 5 or 6 thin coats just to stop the primer showing through! I think that's why I switched to a white primer as well, just because yellows were impossible! Hats off to the GW/Citadel paints team. I've yet to find a paint in the new paint range that isn't excellent :)

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #107 on: February 10, 2017, 09:00:05 AM »
Nice, subtle improvements to the guardian Ynnead. I like that you've also moved away from some of the red detailing. While it looked good, I think the 'less is more' approach works better with a pale mini. Lovely work.

Also, I second that with regard to the GW paints. I think there are duff colours in the range still, or at least a bunch of colours that don't respond well to not being used regularly, but by and large they provide tremendous coverage.
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
  • I tread the hidden path.....
  • Armies: Eldar, Raven Guard, Slaanesh
« Reply #108 on: February 10, 2017, 09:37:44 AM »
I really like the colour scheme that you've got on that Guardian, there is a real good balance of colours on it and it looks pretty natural!
Keep up the good work!  8)
+++ VICTORUS AUT MORTIS +++

My Army Blog (Corsair & Raven Guard: Here

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #109 on: February 10, 2017, 12:30:04 PM »
Thanks guys :) yeah less absolutely is more with paler schemes. Makes the few remaining rich colours really stand out :)

He's also from my 'every bump's a gemstone' phase that i'm sure every eldar painter goes through :S managed to tone that down slightly as well :)

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #110 on: February 16, 2017, 05:09:26 PM »
Commorragh Burns, 999.M41
Curious, Khaharkyth mused as he wrenched his sword from the burning corpse of a daemon. He hadn't felt this exhilarated, this invigorated, this
alive in centuries. Not since his early days in the arena. "I think it's the element of risk," the tinny voice of Wilson added from his hindbrain. "When was the last time death had a semblance of permanence to it?". Khaharkyth paused for a second, nodding sagely. The insight was well made.

"Welcome to Commorragh!" he bellowed jovially, turning to face the yawning chasm above, "I know a very nice place just around the corner. If you can make it there before I hack your legs off you can have one of my playthings."

Dysjunctions are
fun, he thought as Commorragh burned around him. We should have these more often.

Finished 5 more Kabs :) the picture doesn't show it at all, but if you look closely IRL they're covered in blood spatter.

Oh, and writing about Khaharkyth is fun :) I imagine him to be a cross between Brick Top from Snatch, Jack Sparrow when he's stuck in Davey Jones' Locker, and Hannibal Lector. Not necessarily all mashed together. More like each personality takes its turn :)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 05:14:39 PM by Ynneadwraith »

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #111 on: February 16, 2017, 06:06:45 PM »
As ever Ynnead, cool poses and sweet paint jobs to match.

How did you do the blood work? Painted on, or toothbrush flicking or something else?

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #112 on: February 16, 2017, 06:13:27 PM »
Thanks man :)

The blood spatter was done with a laden brush of Blood for the Blood God and then blowing sharply through the empty case of a byro at it :) gives a nice little spray of small blobs with the occasional streak :)

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #113 on: February 17, 2017, 06:50:49 AM »
I love it man. Just love this color scheme to death...It makes the models actually scary. Like all the wicked angles and curves are somewhat hidden by the darkness of the colors. Its that whole what you don't see, scares you most type thing. Its a great artists trick to draw the eye closer... I just love it man.

I've got a ton of Kabalites sitting around someday I may paint a unit like this and be like this is my boy Ynneadwraiths mercenaries rolling with the Lions of Asuryan... lol with your permission of course.

Anyway great stuff man I love it

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #114 on: February 17, 2017, 08:30:49 AM »
Thanks man I'm glad you like them! It's a dead simple scheme to do. Because the Warplock Bronze is so dark, and the Runelord Brass highlights have so little coverage that you can be pretty brutal/haphazard with them and it looks good because of it!

Love the idea of a bunch of these guys operating as mercs for the Lions ;) fits very nicely with my image of them being a relatively new Kabal, and a little desperate to gain power so acting as mercenaries is perfect :)

Might have to do the same thing and make an emissary from the Lions and retinue :)

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #115 on: February 17, 2017, 10:59:23 AM »
Really loving the colour scheme for those guys! So dark and brooding, the posing is perfect too. Fits the colour scheme lovely!

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #116 on: February 17, 2017, 11:47:07 AM »
Thanks man! Glad you like them :)

Post Merge: February 17, 2017, 04:54:01 PM
In the future, please use the modify button. Double posting is against the forum rules, and for that reason, the system merged your posts.

An account of the final days of the Crone Cycle, as written by Farseer Bellatheral of the Angvai - Part 2
It was the 7th day of the Serpent subcycle when they came. Draped in rags and sporting the blank face of the dead, the prophets of the Dead God filtered through the webway portal. Miracles, they brought with them. Those gifted among them they called 'reborn' walked among the Ghost Halls. Amidst a gathering crowd, they placed a hand upon the psychoplastic bulk of a Wraith before them. The touch of the revenant's palm caused a startling change in the Wraith's demenour. Suddenly it appeared to take a juddering, desperate breath. As if it had just surfaced from icy waters. Where its fellows moved languidly through the arches and boughs of the ghost hall, this awakened Wraith stared intensely at its hands, digits moving as it tested its perception. As the revenant passed on by, the onlookers saw the awareness ebb away. The movements of its fingers that had not seconds ago appeared fundamentally alive slowed as its arms dropped listlessly to its sides. Whatsmore, the eldar could feel the change. The bright spark that had flared into light at the touch of the prophet was fading to a whispering flicker oncemore.

The Angvai seers were cautious of these pilgrims. Manifold are the strands of fate, and only a very few offer any form of salvation. Through the windswept paths of the future they cast their gaze, alien intellects interpreting the actions of a thousand chess pieces on a board that extends for centuries. Methodically, they altered variables and watched them ripple through the weave of fate. Much change this new development had wrought. It would take years to chart these new seas. Years, as many paths suggested, the Angvai might not have.

Yeah :) Ynnari are awesome. If you think about it, the events of the Fracture of Biel Tan happen in only a small section of the galaxy, meaning that for the majority of Eldar the Ynnari are a pretty mysterious movement.

So, I came up with the idea that they started sending prophets and preachers through the webway to spread the word of the coming of Ynnead, like a religious cult.

As for the model itself, I wanted to try and bring a bit of a ragged look to an Eldar model, which isn't something I've really seen before, Eldar of all sorts usually being pretty clean and elegant. An Eldar Death Cult seemed like the perfect opportunity to try that out :) oh, and I managed to work in quite a few little bits from the AoS Vampire Counts as a little nod to the sort-of-necromancy the Ynnari are doing :) the stave is the base of a Grave Guard Standard, and the ragged cloak is two parts of a Wraith from the Corpse Cart stuck together :)

I've got more ideas to come with the Ynnari :) as soon as bits arrive I'll have a go at some Dire Avengers too :)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 04:54:02 PM by Ynneadwraith »

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #117 on: February 17, 2017, 07:07:13 PM »
Ynnead, your kitbashing really is superb!
I am loving this model, great choice of parts and great posing again!

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #118 on: February 17, 2017, 11:28:55 PM »
That tattered cloak is a genius idea and looks brilliant. You plainly look at bits of a model in  a different way to most people. Any chance of a picture showing the back of the model? I also really like reading your fluff pieces. One thing I am not so fond of is the models feet. For me they some how don't look like Eldar feet. Not quite elegant enough I think.
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #119 on: February 18, 2017, 03:03:58 AM »
At first I thought that this was your styling of an Outcast. I guess he kind of is, in a way.

I'll echo what AP and Alienscar have already said. He's a tremendous mini, with really imaginative use of parts. The cloak is done expertly. Depending on how you paint it up, it could look brilliant as a cloak of souls shifting around him.

The one thing I'm less sure about, the same as Alienscar, are the feet. I get that you have gone for a prophet type of look, but I think the bare feet go a little bit too far. I guess they are Wrack legs, which fit the styling brilliantly, but I'd just prefer to see some Ranger boots of him. Something like that. Although I guess that would up the difficulty quotient massively.

Anyway, tremendous work!