News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: The Foot Clan!: Using Inquisition on the Ground  (Read 1272 times)

Offline dnanoodle

• Rollin' 2d6 Deep
The Foot Clan!: Using Inquisition on the Ground
« on: November 11, 2011, 08:44:19 AM »
First I'd like to start with the most basic question: is it even viable to run these guys without any vehicles. Neither their armour nor their move-and-fire weapons support being on the ground. They're not tough and the assault models don't have grenades. Compounding that problem, there is the issue of numbers. Even with Coateaz we can't take them en masse like the IG can do with platoons. So with 6 troops slots and points being as they are, throwing away units on speed bumps isn't an option.

Despite these problems, I think the answer is still yes. It's just that certain squad compositions support foot lists better than others. Let me lay out a few I have in mind.  Some are obvious, net-established units but please bear with me as I'll make a case for their use in foot lists, something that I think is not obvious.

The 80pt Deathray
-8 Psykers. That's it. We're just paying for 8 bodies with one gun, but what a gun! They have quite good range and the best S and AP you can get, with a large blast too. I think they work in foot lists because of their range and versatile LOS. They can fire from any model so you can easily hide the bulk of the unit with one or two guys getting LOS. This also allows them to get multiple angles.

Guns, guns and...oh right, GUNS!
3 Servitors (user's choice of Multi-Melta or Plasma Cannon) and two Jokaero to start.  From here I see a couple variations.  7 Psykers makes for a potent and versatile shooting unit.  If you attach Coteaz 3 melta or plasma Acolytes may be a good way to take advantage of the I've Been Expecting You because the range matches up well.  And going that route 1-2 DCAs and 1-2 Crusaders may give some guys to take saves with and some others to provide a little CC defense at great initiative.  They work in foot lists because of the sheer fire power involved.  No matter how you equip them, their guns are frightening.  Coteaz is an awesome addition for the aforementioned reason, but an Ordo Hereticus Inquisitor with Psyocculum should be considered as well as any unit even containing a single psyker can be shot at max BS, hitting on 2s and rerolling for 2s.  Plasma Cannons and the Psyker Blast will deviate a maximum 2 inches.  It's kind of ironic how broken this is against Grey Knights.

Detachable pe...er Melta!
3 Melta Acolytes.  Yup a free kill point.  But if you don't mind that and you're facing an IG parking lot, maybe it wouldn't be so bad to use a Grand Master to make them outflank.  If they're too disposable for your liking, add more Acolytes and use them behind GKTs and PAGKs.  They're still cheap that way and can get a cover save.

I see you've played knifey spooney before!
A mix of DCAs and Crusaders.  I think the key to using these guys on the ground is going heavy on Crusaders for their saves.  I also like a Banisher (with Eviscerator if points allow) and a Mystic if you run with GKs that can DS in to support you.  You now have a unit that has pretty solid defense, little need for cover, support potential, and incredible CC ability.  They lack grenades, so that limits them to counter assaults and charging units that come out of transports.  Might be better to take GK units to assault with, but this is how I've felt about these guys.

Those are the four (with some variations included) that I'm consistently drawn to when list-building.  I'd really like to use Daemonhosts but I haven't tried to make them work because the task seems so daunting with their random abilities.

I don't really see any lists posted for Inquisition without vehicles.  Maybe that's because it just doesn't work against tough lists.  If that's the case, post up and let me know :)  I'd love to hear what others' experiences are like.  If possible let me see lists you've had success with, or that you think might work. I'll post two of mine sometime soon.
"We didn't land on the The Eye of Terror, The Eye of Terror landed on us!"

Have a look at my blog, Rollin' 2d6 Deep for
articles on gaming, modeling, painting, supplies, fiction and more

Offline Azonalanthious

• Biker Nob | KoN Veteran
  • When in doubt, use more explosives.
Re: The Foot Clan!: Using Inquisition on the Ground
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 09:55:55 AM »
While a bit odd to think of them that way, acroflaggelents are actually a nice defensive model in a foot shooting squad -- you will generally stick such a squad in cover anyways and feel no pain stacks very nicely with the cover save to give it the best 'save' of any henchmen model, even if not quite as all-weapon reliable as the crusader's invulnerable.

Offline dnanoodle

• Rollin' 2d6 Deep
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 10:33:21 PM »
Say, that's right!  I hadn't noticed at all hehe.  They cost the same, so it doesn't save points, but against anything that won't ignore FNP it gives a better save and a ton of above-average S attacks should you get assaulted.

When I was thinking about this stuff at work I had mixed GK/Inquisition armies in mind.  I think Terminators and Paladins especially add a lot to these foot lists.  Here is a 1500 list that I came up with.

HQ
Lord Kaldor Draigo - 27?pts
Inquisitor Coteaz - 10?pts

Elites
Vindicare Assassin - 14?pts

Troops
10 Paladins - 4 Psycannons, Psybolts, MCing Optional for Wound Allocation - 650pts w/o MC
11 Inquisitorial Henchmen - 2 Plasma Servitors, 1 Melta Servitor, 2 Jokaero Weapon Smiths, 2 Melta Acolytes, 1 Plasma Acolyte, 1 DCA, 1 Arco Flaggelent, 1 Crusader - 222pts
8 Psykers - 80pts
8 Psykers - 80pts
7 Inquisitorial Henchmen - 3 Melta Acolytes, 4 Bolter Acolytes - 62pts

This list has some room for shuffling around units according to personal taste.  Personally in testing this sometime, I'm going to evaluate the need for 2 Psyker units and the frailty of the Acolyte unit.  I also want to keep an eye on the big shooting unit as it's a big target that is pretty soft.
     In playing this I'd try to set up the big shooting unit near or on my home objective in cover.  With Coteaz attached and a good mix of plasma and melta in the unit I'm not worried about Drop Pods or infantry or Dreadnaughts at all.  The same goes for outflankers.  In positions where that is a danger, I'd put the Jokaero nearest the edges to take advantage  of their Heavy Flamers as many outflankers (Space Marine Scouts, Genestealers, etc) have armor that will be by-passed.
     The Paladins are a slow but steady offensive unit that will push against enemy positions or defend/screen Inquisition depending on the game.

Here is how I'd run that Psyocculum shooting unit that I alluded to in  my original post.

Ordo Hereticus Inquisitor - Psyocculum - 50pts
12 Inquisitional Henchmen - 3 Plasma Servitors, 2 Jokaero Weapon Smiths, 7 Psykers - 200pts (I'd consider swapping a Plasma Cannon for a Multi-Melta if I play in a GK-heavy area, as the vehicles are Psykers)
This unit is somewhat tailored against Grey Knights, but would be nice against Eldar (Farseer attached units and units upgraded with Warlocks) and many Chaos units as well (looking at you 1k Sons!).  They basically can't miss and have the firepower to annihilate pretty much anything.  There's a good chance to get +12" range with Jokaeros which would be wonderful for 36" Melta.

Offline Zilverscale

• Ork Boy
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011, 12:26:24 AM »
Hmm interresting.

But how would this list deal (in psyker regard) if 1 or both of your units suffer a perils result?

PAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline enlg

• I like editing stuff.
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011, 10:02:29 PM »
I don't play grey knights but in general I feel that non-mechanized/jump armies suffer in objectives like capture and control and in large 5-objective (tournament esque) matches. A Grand Master to make Interceptors scoring might be a nice alternative to using Paladins as a unit that can reach objectives, as it can be hard to march units across the board in every game. Also the interceptors would help take out units/tanks in cover on the other side of the board through incinerator/storm bolters/close combat.

Offline dnanoodle

• Rollin' 2d6 Deep
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 05:39:20 PM »
Zilverscale
Deal with, or die from?  Haha.  Most of the list is invested in non-psychic attacks, but for sure those 2 Psyker squads would die pretty hard from perils.  Then we're out 2 really useful AA/AI shots.  That would be a shame, but I don't think it would break the list as we still have some impressive non-psychic shooting and the Paladins.

enlargingcloud
I have a list around here that I wrote with Inquisition, Terminators and Interceptors.  I haven't played it but I'll post it anyway after work.  I definitely agree that would fill in some objective snagging movement we really need.

Edit:

HQ
Grand Master - Incinerator, Rad Grenades - 195pts
Coteaz - 10?pts

Troops
10 Terminators - 2 Psycannons - 450pts
11 Inquisitorial Henchmen - 2 Plasma Servitors, 1 Melta Servitor, 2 Jokaero Weapon Smiths, 2 Melta Acolytes, 1 Plasma Acolyte, 1 DCA, 1 Arco Flaggelent, 1 Crusader - 222pts
8 Psykers - 80pts
12 Inquisitorial Henchmen - 3 Melta Acolytes, 3 basic Acolytes, 3 DCAs, 1 Arco-flatulence, 2 Crusaders - 134pts

Fast Attack
10 Interceptors - 2 Psycannons, 2 Daemonhammers, Psybolts - 320pts

1501 Points, 7-9 KPs (depending on combat squads), 4-5 Scoring Units (also depending)

Here's another type of configuration I think might be worth while on foot.  It's intended to be used at close range and in CC.  Using cover or behind friendly units (such as the Terminators in this list), they should be able to survive enough shooting to perform one of their two roles (anti-armour or anti-infantry in CC).  I'd love to hear your thoughts on it.
12 Inquisitorial Henchmen - 3 Melta Acolytes, 3 basic Acolytes, 3 DCAs, 1 Arco-flatulence, 2 Crusader - 134pts

This isn't the exact list I had in mind earlier.  But that was was even more similar to the Paladin one I posted, so I decided to change it up some.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 05:13:27 AM by dnanoodle »

Offline Grand Master Rex Nihilo

• Victory is one part planning and nine parts Faith
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 11:47:53 AM »

12 Inquisitorial Henchmen - 3 Melta Acolytes, 3 basic Acolytes, 3 DCAs, 1 Arco-flatulence, 2 Crusaders - 134pts

These two Henchmen squads should focus there roles and become 4 henchman squads, two shooty units and two assault\cc units.
7000 points of Grey Knights
6000 points of Fire Drakes Space Marines