News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Final FAQ's- Thoughts?  (Read 2910 times)

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
Final FAQ's- Thoughts?
« on: November 23, 2016, 09:23:46 AM »
Hey gang. So the Final FAQ's are beginning to drop, starting with general rules. What do you guys think?

Myself their are a couple of things I'm happy with. The fact that occupants upon jinking transports do NOT have to snapfire is huge for Dark Eldar which I like very much.

Scouting after Seize is now gone which I was a fan of, despite the fantastic benefits it gave the already immensely powerful White Scars and Ravenwing army. I liked the reactivity it gave my Scorpions, Rangers and Hornets. I liked it for purposes of playing little head games if nothing else. It allowed me to be a bit more gutsy with those units, but I suppose its for the better especially when trying to Alpha Strike those deadly White Scars and Ravenwing after a successful seize. 

Squads only being able to use a single grenade in the assault phase makes NO sense to me whatsoever. I really thought they were going to reverse the Draft FAQ ruling on this. Paying out massive points for melta bombs, haywire etc is now a total waste and really stinks for Tank Bustas, IG Veterans and even Fire Dragons who come with them stock.

The ruling on Void Shields is a bit puzzling as it as states that Void Shields on buildings are NOT affected by Grav. This would mean the Void Shields provided by a Void Shield Generator would not be affected by Grav which would be fantastic. Meaning that only Void Shields generated by units such as Titans would be affected. That would be an odd ruling, but one I would gladly take any day of the week. Drop Grav-Centurions are just so brutal and constantly having to plan around that Alpha-Strike is wearying. Forcing Imperial players using Drop-Grav to at least employ some other type of weaponry to take out the VSG before unloading with Grav is a good thing in my book. What do you guys think?

Overall I like it though their are a few things I disagree with. I feel like the FAQ is largely thorough enough me at this stage.

What do you guys think? Has any of this affected you to any significant degree? I'd be fascinated to know
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 09:25:06 AM by Cavalier »
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
Re: Final FAQ's- Thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2016, 12:02:22 PM »
The biggest consent I have is about the grenades.  It makes no sense and is in direct contradiction of the rules.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2016, 12:09:35 PM »
Knights took a huge hit, with restricted arcs of fire for it's weapons. Which I like. Dreadnaughts will gain a new lease on life, with only one grenade being tossed at them.

I like how void shields took a hit, as they are far too good for their cost.

I also like that attacks like psychic shriek don't need a hit roll.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2016, 01:20:48 PM »
The only thing that annoys me is the grenade thing, really. Everything else I either already knew, or it isn't such a big deal.

Seems like Preferred Enemy is now explicitly applicable to Gets Hot rolls on blast weapons. Fair enough.

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2016, 03:15:10 PM »
@Killersquid- It seems you are pumped about Gauss, Haywire and Melta working on the actual Voidshields, but are you cool with the grav-ruling on Void Shield Generator? I am, but I don't use Grav so its a pretty strong bias. I agree with VSG is too cheap.

Didn't see restricted Firing Arcs on Knights.... OUCH. That sucks and I don't like it... But yeah the grenade thing does help Dreadnoughts, but Dreadnoughts are so BEAST now (which i love). It really hurts armies like Orks though who struggle mightily against Knights. Tankbustas are hurting right now... not that I hardly see anyone playing Orks. But I feel for those who do, especially my fave bat-reppers on youtube.

@Everybody- Nice to the rest of you guys seem to be on board. I haven't seen to much "Sky is Falling" responses which is nice. At least in the circles I run with. I'm pretty stoked and I'm looking forward to the Codex faqs as well.

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2016, 04:37:19 PM »
Best thing, imho, is that bombers can drop a bomb on their way into ongoing reserve.

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2016, 07:08:16 PM »
Knights took a huge hit, with restricted arcs of fire for it's weapons. Which I like. Dreadnaughts will gain a new lease on life, with only one grenade being tossed at them.

I like how void shields took a hit, as they are far too good for their cost.

I also like that attacks like psychic shriek don't need a hit roll.
That actually brings something up.  How would you base the standard on what the restricted arcs are for their weapons?  Is it 45 degrees assuming the weapons were facing forward, or is it 45 degrees from where the weapons can pivot to?  I mean, the weapons on my knights are totally mobile.  They aren't stuck in one place like a Dreadnought's.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2016, 08:40:11 PM »
The FAQ says the weapons are front facing. Seems pretty clear that it's 45 degrees from the front.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2016, 10:02:56 PM »
I must have missed that part.  That is rather lame, tbh.
I knew I had fans!!!

Offline haunt

• Aspect Warrior | I Won the Eldar Army List Competition, and All I Got Was This Title!
  • Play and have fun.
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angel, Tyranids, Necrons and Tau
« Reply #9 on: December 8, 2016, 08:27:50 AM »
Kinda makes no sense, since Titans can rotate their torso just like dreadnoughts, right?

I can see if their unable to fire to their rear, but can still shoot at rear arcs.
This is where Death rejoices, as he teaches the living.

Hoc est ubi mors gaudet, quod ipse docet vivis.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
  • I tread the hidden path.....
  • Armies: Eldar, Raven Guard, Slaanesh
« Reply #10 on: December 8, 2016, 09:27:31 AM »
The grenades thing does bother me, it just doesn't seem to make any real sense at all. If you've got the grenades hanging from your belt you aren't going to try and hit a tank with the butt end of your bolter.
The not having to roll for Psychic Shrieks is a huge help for me, both with my Eldar and with my Chaos.
I am very glad that they have allowed to passengers of jinking transports to shoot normally, although strictly it doesn't really make much sense it really helps Dark Eldar out and they need the help!
+++ VICTORUS AUT MORTIS +++

My Army Blog (Corsair & Raven Guard: Here

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #11 on: December 8, 2016, 09:38:20 AM »
Yeah the grenade thing drives me nuts too. The jinking thing I agree doesn't make sense. If anyone has ever played the video game Grand Theft Auto shooting from a moving vehicle isn't easy even in a game! But yeah I think GW realized it was a big problem for a large group of their players and tossed Dark Eldar players a bone.

• Ancient
« Reply #12 on: December 8, 2016, 03:15:22 PM »
The 40k rulebook is fairly specific that a unit can only use one grenade per phase, so it's not like the rule is changed, folks have just been playing it wrong the whole time.

Kinda makes no sense, since Titans can rotate their torso just like dreadnoughts, right?

I can see if their unable to fire to their rear, but can still shoot at rear arcs.

Dread's can only fire 45 degrees in front of them as well. Torso turning isn't a thing. Well, It's represented in combat as you can only hit front armour.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #13 on: December 8, 2016, 04:27:32 PM »
Not really a big deal on the VOID shields. All it will mean is a little bit of heavy fire is used before the centurions start firing.

The grenade rule I'm in two minds about, I can see why the restriction is in place for infantry vs infantry. Perhaps they should have moved Melta and haywire into a another group so they could be used on mass, but make them single use items.

The clarification on witch fires was good.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: December 8, 2016, 08:18:09 PM »
The 40k rulebook is fairly specific that a unit can only use one grenade per phase, so it's not like the rule is changed, folks have just been playing it wrong the whole time.
Except the subheading for each grenade has a different description depending on whether it is for shooting or assault.  Specifically, it is the shooting that has the restriction of "throw one grenade per phase,"  and assault does not.
I knew I had fans!!!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #15 on: December 9, 2016, 07:07:57 AM »
Yeah GML's right on the wording for grenades. Its really more of an errata... for some reason I think they want this. For some reason they responded to the Dark Eldar players outcry on the Jinking/Transport thing... but not on this one. At least I cannot imagine a large subset of player crying out for this to be a finalized ruling... especially Ork players who have no other means of tackling Imperial Knights.

Very questionable ruling... had it really effect me a number of time when trying to melta-bomb things with my Fire Dragons (in particular a hovering deathwatch flyer who jinked all my fusion gun shots). It was really brutal though I nailed it later by firing off my Serpent shield. Of course its hardly a blip on the radar for Eldar players... but I can't imagine how it effects IG player relying on Demo-Charges, guys who play Tankbustas etc. Its really rough

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2016, 04:13:19 AM »
Very questionable ruling... had it really effect me a number of time when trying to melta-bomb things with my Fire Dragons (in particular a hovering deathwatch flyer who jinked all my fusion gun shots). It was really brutal though I nailed it later by firing off my Serpent shield. Of course its hardly a blip on the radar for Eldar players... but I can't imagine how it effects IG player relying on Demo-Charges, guys who play Tankbustas etc. Its really rough

It hurts on the tournament scene, of course; but in friendly play I'd always propose playing the rule as it was. Hopefully the other guy would be cool with that because, as you say, it really hurts some players that really on anti vehicle from a particular source and more importantly, makes no sense.
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2016, 07:55:26 AM »
I'm right there with you Loosh. I hope in time, I'm able to build up my own gaming group where we can all vote on various house rules. I've always wanted to treat 40k, like I'd treat a roleplaying game where no one blinks an eye at house-rules. I mean on one of the latest articles from GW's community page they talk about just house ruling for studio play, the Cataphractii terminators to have Space Wolves chapter tactics after doing some great conversions. I really like that kind of stuff.

Of course I understand that doesn't exactly work for pickup games, and pickup games are a big part of the appeal of 40k... especially for me. But I have no problem playing the game one way with my group, another way at the store.