News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Peoples Attitude to Space Marine Collectors  (Read 3737 times)

Offline Czaq

• The number one rule is to have fun.
Re: Peoples Attitude to Space Marine Collectors
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2011, 12:39:11 PM »
I have yet to meet a SM player that I don't like. I think that simply because there are more marines out there you will find more jerks playing as marines than any other army.

That being said, I have never been a huge fan of the fluff behind the space marines, particularly because they are the poster child. They're cool and ba and all, but I believe if they're supposed to be so rare and powerful than why do I see so many eh? But hey, that's not any players fault.

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2011, 01:02:09 PM »
In roughly twenty years of gaming, I've played two vanilla marine armies, and enjoyed them while they floated my fancy. I find them more interesting to play, as most of the "Named" chapters seem to box you into a certain style of play... although I know one BA player that takes all tanks and two minimum troop choices in 1500 - 2000 points, so maybe that's a flawed view. :)

I find that MEQ armies on the whole are fairly easy to mass produce, but still allow you to go all out on special models, so that's nice from a painting perspective, if you're into that kind of thing.

SM armies are common, but if you pick a scheme and go with it, they're a fun and challenging army to master. It's been noted already, they are pretty much the middle ground of everything, so you have to always adapt your tactics to your opponent's weakness... which is unusual compared to other armies that tend to be built around a single "trick". They're a true tactician's army, which is strange given that they're viewed as the starter army.  ???

Anyhow, anyone that looks down on someone for being "only" a Marine player has a case of cranial / rectal interlock, so don't worry about them. Once you've developed the mental flexibility to run them well, you'll be more than capable of taking on anybody with them. Respect for a player comes from playing them, so simply disregarding someone based on their choice of army is foolish. :)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 01:04:28 PM by GreatBigTree »

Offline Hive Fleet Dread Q'thulu

« Reply #22 on: August 5, 2011, 02:26:10 PM »
    Great big tree, rectal/cranial interlock i love it sounds like one of the people that came through my register yesterday.
          I recently started playing marines when i picked up the BA codex and AoBR box for a total of around 50 bucks its not the marine players i have a problem with its people that switch to them to win with them not because they have an idea of a great army they want to build. I'm currently working on a Soul Drinkers army.
       The people who only play marines i respect more cause they have managed to stick with that one army for a long time usually. the people that i don't like are the ones who don't respect the models as something that is expensive or something someone spent a lot of time painting. I played a new person if he had have been my age or older i would have probably knocked him out. He got pissed because he was loosing and threw his dice at my models and knocked one off the table which luckily i caught. but every body stopped and looked at me like oh snap this kid is dead. I just sat the model back up and continued to whoop his butt on the table.

Offline KJQ

• Lead, follow, or get out of the way.
« Reply #23 on: August 5, 2011, 03:19:00 PM »
@Hive Fleet Dread Q'thulu:  Great restraint on your part.  For my part, I would have insisted on at least a token apology or that would have been the end of the game, although maybe a moot point since I'm also pretty sure that in our LGW that would have resulted in his being asked to leave the store.
"Education is what remains after one has forgotten what one has learned in school. " - Albert Einstein

Offline Hades Hound

• Who needs food when you have miniatures?
« Reply #24 on: August 5, 2011, 03:42:03 PM »
Yeah, that kind of crap doesn't fly around here. No matter how the game goes, even if you can't respect your opponent, the least you can do is respect the models s/he's poured hours of love and labor into. I wouldn't have settled for a token apology, I would have simply packed up the army and found someone else to play with, so kudos to you for teaching him some tabletop manners.

Offline Heir of Dorn

• Imperial Fists 3rd Company
« Reply #25 on: August 6, 2011, 03:31:59 AM »
I haven't ever played anyone except my brother with my marines, mainly because we always proxy due to the fact that none of us has got a proper army (well, he has his Eldar that he really doesn't play that much).

I have, however, sensed something about the gaming community. People are really tired of the "poster boys", and the armies that are better than all the rest. I have been out of the loop for quite a while, but I know that Daemons used to be really good in WHFB. I know this isn't strictly related, but stay with me. In Fantasy I have a Goblin army of around 1000 points, with an orc warboss in it. It's supposed to become an orc & goblin army some day, but I only have Gobbos this far. Anyway, every time I've brought it to play (never really won with it :P), I get bucket-loads of respect for bringing them. Why?

People love underdogs. Everyone knows that Gobbos aren't all that good (at least they weren't in the last edition), and therefore people rooted for me. Even my opponent, kind of. I played a double, where I allied my goblins with some ogres and we faced down dwarves. My goblins got completely smashed and even my dreaded fanatics didn't do much - except for bringing down half a unit of Longbeards (I think they're called). Even the dwarf player cheered on that.

My point is that people don't like poster boys and they don't like the race that is currently "best". People rightly fear Marines, they are a good race to play. Add in their status of poster boys and a great lot of people will have animosites against them. People are generally sore losers and they won't forget being beat by the "newbie army".

« Last Edit: August 6, 2011, 03:37:48 AM by Heir of Dorn »
Primarch-Progenitor, to your glory and the glory of him on earth!

Imperial Fists: W/L/D - 1/0/2

Offline Ends_Mouth

• By using the steaming piles of their own dead...
« Reply #26 on: August 6, 2011, 07:02:42 AM »
I love space marines. I've only just recently started collecting them this year just because of that fact. I wanted a chapter I could really get into, and coming up with my own chapter left me feeling a bit ehh about the whole thing. Then the Space Sharks were reborn as the Carcharodons and I fell instantly in love.

I'm building an assault vanguard army because I think it suits them the best, and it's not quite legal yet (Need some heavy support), but I can't wait to put them down on the field.

Never actually seen people really get stuck into space marine players until I started visiting forums, but since then I've seen it more and more in person. I don't get it. I understand that they are meant to be rare and all, but background doesn't extend into our reality. I do get rather annoyed when a kid brings in an Ultramarine army and other dudes start giving him amphetamine parrot because he has 'SMurfs' (A really stupid term if you ask me). That's when I go on telling stories about how bad ass Mr. Calgar is, and wicked cool things they've done. Shuts them up good and proper =P

Offline jawmonkey

• My disgust for you is only matched by my rage.
« Reply #27 on: August 7, 2011, 02:56:13 AM »
Well, they are blue...

I totally agree that a player's marine chapter should be totally unique to themselves, or barring that a very spot on, faithful rendition of an existing chapter (e.g. gear matches what they should have, no He'Stan counts-as if the marines have Ultramarines iconography, etc). I think a lot of player's are just jealous of that nice stat line; it lends a certain level of flexibility and forgiveness that most other armies don't offer. Marines can take an unlucky round of shooting, where a DE player would get wiped off the table.

Now the punks that field the latest uber list circulating the forums, shows up with fully assembled, yet completely unpainted storm ravens...
Throwing feces in the eye of insolence.

Check out my terrain tutorial!, New chapter; plasticard watch tower added 11-6-11!

Also,examples of my many armies;  pics of all sorts of huge commissions