News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1500 pt Footdar list for your review  (Read 2225 times)

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
1500 pt Footdar list for your review
« on: June 2, 2015, 01:45:57 PM »
Ok, it's been a while since I've posted anything, as I've been holed up in a corner being disgruntled having just bought the 6th edition rulebook and 6th edition codex to have it obsolete only a few months later. But I've finally bit the bullet and ordered the new BRB and codex. I took the shrink-wrap off two days ago and have lost a lot of sleep trying to wrap my head around some of the changes.

Luckily for me the 40konline community is here to help fill in the gaps and I'm coming around to not being such an old stick in the mud.

Low and behold; a new competition. And look at that, we're starting out with footdar, my all time favourite list to build. The carrot has been presented and graciously accepted.

Combined Arms Detachment
HQ
Autarch                        (103)
(Warp Jump Generator, Fusion Gun, Scorpion Chainsword, Mandiblasters)      
Troops
Dire Avengers x 10                    (130)
Dire Avengers x 10                   (130)
Dire Avengers x 10                   (130)

Fast Attack
Swooping Hawks x 6 plus Exarch                (137)
(Sunrifle)

Heavy Support
Wraithlord (Flamers x 2, Shuriken Cannon x 2, Ghostglaive)   (155)

Lord of War
Avatar of Khaine                  (195)

Aspect Host (WS+1)
Striking Scorpion x 9 plus Exarch             (210)
(Scorpion's Claw)
Howling Banshees x5 plus Exarch               (98)
(Executioner)
Warp Spiders x 9 plus Exarch      (Autarch Joins)      (210)
(Powerblades)

Total 1498

With the great boosts to close combat presented by the Avatar buffs, the scorpions, banshees, and wraithlord will be a force to be reckoned with on the battlefield. The plan is to keep the scorpions, banshees to either side of the Avatar to hopefully used to either counterstrike or hopefully alphastrike the opponent in close combat. The Avatar and wraithlord will walk up the field hand in hand, popping transports and tanks and wrestling any monstrous creatures that come their way, all the while soaking up much of the enemies firepower. The dire avengers will do what they do best and battle focus in and out of range, unleasing deadly volleys of shuriken fire, staying just behind my MCs. The hawks and spiders will either deepstrike or move up the table edges on either side depending on enemy deployment, with reserve rolls being assisted by the Autarch if we deepstrike. The hit&run, flickerjump, and iron resolve will make the spiders a very hard unit to kill and will be a very strong unit when joined with the Autarch. The hawks will be on flyer and vehicle duty and then focus on infantry with the help of the exarch's sun rifle.

I generally played this list in the 1750 to 2000 points range with more wraithlords and a farseer and this is my first rebuild of the list since 6th edition.

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
Re: 1500 pt Footdar list for your review
« Reply #1 on: June 2, 2015, 01:51:03 PM »
This list is similar to one that I posted for the competition and is suffering from something I struggled to get right. It is lacking dedicated Anti-armor. The cannons and spiders can handle lighter armor, but anything above AV12 is going to be rather difficult for you. The Hawks can haywire a land raider, sure, but they need to be able to assault it which won't be that easy given they will be a priority for your opponent in that situation.

Offline DCannon ForLife

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #2 on: June 2, 2015, 07:13:02 PM »
Welcome to 7th! :)

You will get some criticism for taking Mandiblasters instead of a Banshee Mask on your Autarch. The benefits of taking a mask are obvious; you might have to do some convincing to get people to allow that the blasters are 'better'.

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #3 on: June 2, 2015, 10:28:30 PM »
Thanks for the critiques so far.

@Partninja - the idea of the army is to be extremely aggressive, moving to the enemy lines as quickly as possible, rather than holding back and trading fire. Eldar are squishy and footdar have a real hard time winning wars of attrition, especially when their opponents bring armour. Taking advantage of fleet and battle focus will allow me to bring the fight to my opponent, use my cover to the best of my ability and allow me to land the punches on my terms. At 1500 points I've never really seen much AV14. I know there are plenty of lists on the net with lots of spam, but I've only encountered one land raider in this points range. I have the Avatar's wailing doom and smash attack, the wraithlord's smash attack, Autarch's fusion gun, and scorpion exarch's claw (for AV13 only), the close combat attacks assisted by the furious charge. All the anti-armour is dependent on close range or close combat, hence the need to get to the opponent's forces as quickly as possible. If the AV14 armour wants to run away, I'm perfectly happy letting my opponent wait their turn firing only snap shots.

@DCannonForLife - Thanks for the welcome back! I definitely agree the Banshee Mask is awesome, if I am planning on getting into close combat and expecting a lot of overwatch, with an opposing unit with low leadership and likely to fail a test. The autarch is joined to the warpspiders to take on some nasty in my opponents army, who most likely has a pretty high Ld and limited amount of overwatch fire. I would much rather have a 50% chance of causing an automatic wound than 5%-10% chance the my opponent fails a test that just gives me a +1 advantage in placing a hit, that still needs to wound. (hopefully that was vague enough in the rules, but clear enough to get the point across). Banshee masks are great, against low leadership or units with lots of overwatch potential. The beauty with Eldar, is I get to pick my battles on the battlefield and let my avengers take care of mobs like that.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #4 on: June 4, 2015, 05:51:48 PM »
Nice list, have you considered beefing up the Banshee's a bit, something like

7 Warp spiders
8 Banshee's

Offline Grizzlykin

• Run little eldar, run! ... And KILL THEM ALL !
  • Armies: Eldars, Tau, Necrons
« Reply #5 on: June 4, 2015, 06:31:03 PM »
Will need to read everything in depth but something caught my eyes, you can't flicker jump when the autarch is attached to a warp spyder unit, i have the same problem with my spyder.
The Grizzly's Arvandor Craftworld!

Quote from: Cavalier
ALL HAIL THE TORNADO! The legend is REBORN.

Quote from: Alienscar
The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #6 on: June 4, 2015, 06:53:06 PM »
Argh! I totally didn't see that with the flickerjump. I hope that gets faq'd soon. @Grizzlykin.

I really wanted a full squad of banshees, but with just opening the codex and 7th BRB two days ago, I've been obsessed with trying to wrap my head around these formation things.

I think I might just start over and repost a new list tonight.  :-[