News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Ultramarine Movie thread - movie delayed  (Read 36556 times)

Offline Only Slightly Crazy

• Those Damm commies! Impurifing our bodily fluids!
Re: Ultramarine Movie thread - new concept art
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2010, 11:38:56 PM »
We got a planet named Mithron, which looks like a friggin wasteland. We got strike cruisers and thunderhawks, and there is references to ancient parts of Mithron. Thats all I can surmise.
DISCLAMER! Any thing offensive can be considered a joke in bad taste. Thank you!

Offline Aluinn

« Reply #21 on: April 1, 2010, 08:17:33 AM »

i wasn't aware that bolter rounds were "caseless" ammunition

I've been looking for sources that directly state that bolters are caseless, but given that they are rocket-propelled, a case is completely unnecessary. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyrojet for more info about rocket-powered guns.

If bolter rounds didn't have a casing then the gun wouldn't need an ejection port, but they have one. Also all the models that have spare ammunition on them or ammo feeds/belts depict casings, and much art shows spent casings being ejected from bolters.

I always assumed that the original charge got the bullet started at high velocity and the rocket stage just accelerated it even more or maintained the velocity throughout it's trajectory, more or less. This makes it sort of like a two-stage rocket, except, ah, the first stage isn't rocket-powered, it's just an explosion.

What's more mysterious is whether or not the barrel is rifled or the rocket part is set up in such a way as to stabilize it. The actual RL gyrojets were very inaccurate IIRC and I believe that's why the idea was nixed. If the barrel is indeed rifled, then this, and the fact that they are initially fired like a conventional round, could solve that problem, and that may be the reason for it. On the other hand GW probably never gave it this much thought :).

Offline The Ecclesiarch

• Be Pure, Be Vigiliant, Obey!
  • Armies: Forces of the Imperium, Da Boyz, CHAOS.
« Reply #22 on: April 8, 2010, 11:42:35 PM »
New video with some of the Ultramarine movie actors talking about their experience so far in being filmed with motion capture cameras, obviously they have started filming so it will probably be a while before the film is complete. Check it out people-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUuB2xLL5Dc&feature=player_embedded#

Also a blog entry from Dan Abnett, the movies script writer-

Guest blog by Dan Abnett
Frenzied howling, and more...

In Warhammer 40,000 terms, I’m something of a veteran: over a decade of work, thirty-plus novels, a good enough rep that when it was announced that I’d written the script for the Ultramarines movie, the Warhammer 40,000 community sounded reassured, because I’m a safe pair of hands (thank you for the comments, guys, you’ll make me blush). Funny thing, on the day of the voice records, I felt like a complete newbie.

For a start, it was at Abbey Road Studios in London. Let's just hear that again in italics. Abbey Road Studios. The street outside looked exactly like the classic Beatles album cover. All through the day, we could hear the distant honks of car horns because there is a constant stream of tourist pilgrims waiting to have their picture taken walking across the iconic zebra crossing in fours. It drives the local traffic INSANE.

I got there early because, well, I was eager. I was shown into the studio where the technicians were setting up. It was weird; a lot of the studio space is taken up with vast banks of sound engineering stuff, but the Image Metric guys just spread their own kit up on top of it - screens, cameras, keyboards, all very lightweight. The only thing they needed was Abbey Road’s sound-insulated space. The vast reserves of world famous recording equipment in the studio were redundant. Sound desks had become benches and tables.

There was almost something arcane about the process: the green glow of the backdrop in an otherwise dark space, the fact that the individual key functions of the keyboards they were using had been re-marked with textliners. Any minute now, they’ll be propitiating the Machine Spirit, I thought. I didn’t say this, of course, because I didn’t want to come across a total asshat fanboy.

Anyway, the voice records were spread over several days, and on the day I was able to attend, the actors working were Sean Pertwee, Johnny Harris and John Hurt. I can tell you now that it’s very weird to meet someone famous. Yes, I know you all think I must do that all the time because I’m windswept and interesting, but I don’t, and I doubt I’d ever get used to it. The recognition circuits in your brain go a little screwy. You recognise someone because their face is so familiar to you, and yet, simultaneously, you know you’ve never actually met them.

By the time the little voice at the back of your mind has started to whisper, “Look. That’s John Hurt. You’re standing in the same room as John Hurt. He’s right there...” you can pretty much forget not coming across as a total asshat fanboy.

The sessions weren’t just about voice recording, of course. If you’ve checked out the stuff on this site about what Image Metrics does, you’ll see that it’s a whole motion capture thing. Sean, John and Johnny were having their faces mapped as they recorded the lines. Though the characters they are playing will look nothing like them, their faces will move with an authentic realism to match their voices. But it’s just the faces: these gentlemen were being required to act with their voices and faces, yet not move their bodies around because that disrupted the camera line. It’s a pretty amazing process and, it’s fair to say, at this nuts-and-bolts production end of things, it’s a very unshowbizzy and comical one. Grown men, grown, famous men, sitting in green-lit booths, looking down the barrel of a camera, and being asked to make any number of strangulated noises of pain and effort, while very serious technical types study the results and say things like, “Can you give me a bit more frenzied howling, Sean?” without a touch of irony.

Sean Pertwee’s reply to that last request, I am happy to report, was the immortal, “Frenzied howling? I don’t tend to do frenzied howling.”

It was a very funny day. They got some great material, but it was very funny, and the actors seemed to relish it too. John Hurt was every bit the immaculate professional you might expect him to be. Sean had to make his face suggest the most extreme acrobatic activities. Johnny Harris kept us all in stitches. After one particularly raucous take where it sounded like he’d been smashed about most brutally, he sighed ruefully and wondered out loud over the intercom if he had maybe just “written myself out of the sequel.” Martyn, the director, compared notes with the producer, Bob. He clicked on the intercom and said “Johnny? Bob wants this take to sound like you’ve been whacked through the back of the head with a pick.”

“Love you too, Bob,” replied Johnny dryly.

Love this process. I can’t wait to see the results. The day spent watching them at work, and seeing the fine-tuning, tweaking and do-overs they had to do reminded me what a team effort it all was. Back at script stage, I had begun to get paranoid that my comparative lack of experience as a writer of screenplays was causing too many redrafts. It wasn’t that. A movie is a collective enterprise, and everybody just reworks and reworks his or her contribution until it fits the whole. If that means another redraft or another retake, so be it.

From where I was sitting that day, the frenzied howling was spot on.

« Last Edit: April 8, 2010, 11:59:27 PM by The Ecclesiarch »
+++ Ecclesiastical Proverbs +++
Blasphemy cries out for purgation from the faithful.
Blessed are the war makers.
By Bolter and Flamer we purify the faithless.
Hate sanctifies faith.
Anger and Hatred are mankind's highest virtues.
Let he who would be without sin cast the first grenade.
To be bigoted is human, to be unrepentant of thy bigotry is divine.
Tolerance is ignorance.
+++ Scribe Jack Hanson, Terra +++

Offline Gromash

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2010, 10:01:47 AM »
If bolter rounds didn't have a casing then the gun wouldn't need an ejection port, but they have one.

I'm in the non-caseless camp, but that statement is incorrect - you still need to be able to eject duff rounds not to mention unload a chambered round.
Kindly bear in mind the difference between these two words:
Cannon noun A large heavy gun.
Canon noun A sanctioned or accepted group or body of related works.

Offline Brother-Captain Uriel

• I'm still waiting to play 1-39,999 *drum roll*
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2010, 03:07:49 PM »

I always assumed that the original charge got the bullet started at high velocity and the rocket stage just accelerated it even more or maintained the velocity throughout it's trajectory, more or less. This makes it sort of like a two-stage rocket, except, ah, the first stage isn't rocket-powered, it's just an explosion.

What's more mysterious is whether or not the barrel is rifled or the rocket part is set up in such a way as to stabilize it. The actual RL gyrojets were very inaccurate IIRC and I believe that's why the idea was nixed. If the barrel is indeed rifled, then this, and the fact that they are initially fired like a conventional round, could solve that problem, and that may be the reason for it. On the other hand GW probably never gave it this much thought :).
[/quote]

I've read over at Lexicanum that the concensus seems to be that they're smooth-bore weapons. I look at bolter rounds similiar to how you do though, being a two-stage rocket and the first stage just being an explosion. So I've always just chalked up the smooth-bore bit to the unreliable narrator being used in Warhammer 40,000 or innacurate Imperial propaganda, similiar to how I view lasweapons over-taking stub weapons in popularity, Imperial propaganda or just unreliable garbage.

Offline Ends_Mouth

• By using the steaming piles of their own dead...
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2010, 03:20:46 AM »
A few years ago they released a paint/brush set that came with an expended bolter cartridge as a water pot. It could just depend on build and series, but oh well.

Offline Alpha Class Faye

• My tattoo is German for THE BART, THE
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2010, 04:22:55 AM »
is it wrong to want a ripper to burst out of John Hurt's character's chest?
I paint my chin in pva glue and wear a beard of green felt grass. Tis the only way I can fit in at the local GW. On a side note, I am not the origami killer. I just kill people who do origami.

« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2010, 09:36:35 AM »
Only if they're facing Nids.
DISCLAMER! Any thing offensive can be considered a joke in bad taste. Thank you!

Offline tryanotherone - smurfernating

• SPAMMER: I swear I am not an ad-bot!
  • Pray hard - life is short!
Re: Ultramarine Movie thread -
« Reply #28 on: May 8, 2010, 09:29:32 AM »
Here latest news on the upcoming movie. Found by reds8n

Ultramarines, the first ever full-length animated feature based on Games Workshop's futuristic Warhammer 40,000 universe, is to come under the spotlight at May's London MCM Expo, show organisers have announced. The phenomenal successful Warhammer 40,000 franchise has spread it’s legs across a multitude of medias from it’s humble beginnings as a tabletop game, including comic books, collectable card games, and of course, videogames.

Ultramarines is a tense sci-fi action movie set in the grim darkness of the 41st millennium. The film employs state-of-the-art facial capture technology and CGI animation to bring to the screen the Space Marines of the Ultramarines chapter and their adversaries in deadly combat. Screenwriter Dan Abnett, director Martyn Pick and producers David Kerney and Bob Thompson join a panel to discuss the making of the movie and share some behind-the-scenes info.

With a voice cast including Terence Stamp, John Hurt and Sean Pertwee, Ultramarines is a Codex Pictures production in association with Good Story Productions.

The London MCM Expo takes place at the Excel Centre on 29th-30th May 2010, and features the best in new movies, videogames, anime, comics and cosplay. Electronic Theatre will keep you updated with all the latest details on the London MCM Expo.

source
« Last Edit: May 8, 2010, 09:31:48 AM by tryanotherone - prepared ! »
Taking a very long break.

The Rumour Mill - bending the fabric of time and space

Remember Brimstone - legends live forever

Offline High Grandmaster smithmyster666 of the Grey Knights

• Strike from the skies brothers!!!
« Reply #29 on: May 8, 2010, 11:47:18 AM »
I know opinions aren't really what is wanted on here but this film had so much potential and now it is going to fail "for the fans and direct to dvd" are just the words that are going to cause this movie to flop, if they had just turned the battle for macragge into a film they could have been looking at beowulf level audiences and ratings but now its just underdone, such a shame to see great british actors underdone
From the skies we rain, as the emperors fist we strike against our foes, until all blood be it alien, heretic or mutant is spilled. we will not rest until the galaxy is cleansed free of these monstrosities and we hold these worlds in the name of humanity and its immortal emperor.

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #30 on: May 8, 2010, 12:00:50 PM »
I beg to differ.  Don't just look at it from a potential for being big but from the companies point of view.  If they had gone for a major motion picture it would have cost them a lot more than it is.  Also, the movie isn't long enough to warrant the "in theatre" experiance.

People that are aware of the movie will buy it, which will give GW an idea of how receptive the community is to them bring their universe to life on screen, and if they like it they will suggest it for other people to get.  Difference between 40k and Beowulf is that the majority of people have at least heard of the Tale of Beowulf, where as with 40k the reverse is true.  They might have heard of it but thye have no idea what it is.  This is a good median to get the background (which really is the best part of 40k) out to the general populace and eventually will build to a full fledged movie. 

Which also might mean that they go towards the major battles of 40k history like the Battle of Macragge or Armageddon.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2010, 06:01:40 AM »
New art for the Ultramarine movie

http://ultramarinesthemovie.com/gallery

Re: Ultramarine Movie thread - movie teaser on 29th May
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2010, 02:12:41 PM »
Looks like GW has something to show off.

Latest Announcement
ULTRAMARINES TEASER COMING SOON
We are just days away from being able to show you the first ULTRAMARINES movie teaser!

To make sure that you are amongst the first to see it, sign up for movie news on the website and check in on Saturday 29 May 2010. You will need to register and be logged in to view it.

source

Offline spiderbite

• Armies: Tyranids
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2010, 11:21:10 AM »
I will reserve all judgement until I actually see the film.

Offline Bumbles

• I supported No'Akei and all I got was this silly title
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2010, 10:06:46 PM »
I will reserve all judgement until I actually see the film.
what sort of fan says something like that??

Offline *Striker*

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • "Oh, all you have left to fire is the flashlights"
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2010, 10:30:16 AM »
Teasers up.  Not much to show IMO, text, and a close up of a standing still marine(animated to be breathing and the wind is blowing his purity seals but otherwise he's still as a statue)

« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2010, 11:09:46 AM »
And you need to register to see it. Not much good if you ask me. I would have liked atleast 1 action scene, but there is promise.

Offline Guardsman Haddock

• Blistering Blue Barnacles!
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2010, 11:25:24 AM »
Eh, the CGI work on that marine is, well...  not very impressive.

We'll have to wait and see what the finished product looks like.  Shame there wasn't an action sequence.

Offline The Black Dahlia Murder

• NRPH forever...
« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2010, 01:29:18 PM »
It was a let down but at least they are still making it. Maybe the graphics might be updated or something. Maybe like something from LOTR movies. Now that would be great :).

I bet if this movie is a hit, GW and who ever else is making this movie might do another one. Hopefully, this movie wouldn't be a let down like the scraped Blood Angels movie.

Offline The Ecclesiarch

• Be Pure, Be Vigiliant, Obey!
  • Armies: Forces of the Imperium, Da Boyz, CHAOS.
« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2010, 08:29:13 PM »
:o Im looking forward to the end result, best not to prejudge, i hope we at least get something enjoyable-

Ultramarines Teaser

Even though its not very much i like what i see, the animation looks quite dark and gothic looking.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 08:35:11 PM by The Ecclesiarch »
+++ Ecclesiastical Proverbs +++
Blasphemy cries out for purgation from the faithful.
Blessed are the war makers.
By Bolter and Flamer we purify the faithless.
Hate sanctifies faith.
Anger and Hatred are mankind's highest virtues.
Let he who would be without sin cast the first grenade.
To be bigoted is human, to be unrepentant of thy bigotry is divine.
Tolerance is ignorance.
+++ Scribe Jack Hanson, Terra +++