News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Swooping Hawks - A ripp off?  (Read 1725 times)

Offline -Zeruel-

• And They Do Know Fear
Swooping Hawks - A ripp off?
« on: August 22, 2002, 06:01:10 PM »
With 21 Points per mini, SH are damn expensive, and with that light armore and a flashligh as a weapon, they normaly don't survive long.

There are two good things about them, though.

1. Imagine there are two Squads of Space Marines. The first one is in CC with a squad of Scorps (with an Exarch of course), the second one is on the left or on the right behind them.
The Scorps win the CC and the Space Marines fall back and are destroyed because that small squad of SH catched them in Crossfire.
The Scorps can now attack the 2nd squad of the Emperor's Finest.

2. Even if expensive, an SH Exarch with powerweapon and the Exarch abilities can really be a pain in the ass for high armoured troops (like Terminators)
The Exarch strikes and has 3 Attacks (example).
For each hit, he'll be able to roll again. If that throw hits home, he can take another one, and so on.
With his good WS its not hard to get some hits.
Most of the time, this will end with 12 power sord attacks. Deadly for a 5 man Termi squad.
"In this great futur, you can't forget your past"

We are far from redemtion

Offline Disno

• dont make me Robo tackle you
Re:Swooping Hawks - A ripp off?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2002, 09:38:08 PM »
the exarch is the only thing worth taking when it comes swooping hawks seeing how he can get alot of power weapon attacks

Offline ppryan

• Black Guardian
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2002, 10:48:47 PM »
Actually ive found a very good tactic for hawks against a tyranid army. What i do is i combine the efforts of a squad of hawks with a exarch with power weapon and substained assault and 3 support weapons with shadow weavers. What i do is if one of those squads of 32 tyranid gaunts (the shooty ones or cc ones) starts to threaten me i first target the center of the squad with the multiple barrage shadow weavers on the first turn. Then with a small gap already started i will deep strike the hawks increasing the hole with the granade pack and then deep strike them in the center (hopefully the hole is big enough so scatter wont matter). I will land shoot all of my weapons to down a bunch. Then on the nids turn the player will stupdily charge the hawks with the remainder of his guants (which is roughly down to 20-25). When he charges he quickly finds that his gaunts are toast as the hawks have a higher initiative and the exarch uses his power weapon and substained assault. If the assault takes longer than one turn i make sure that when i land i place the standard hawks around the exarch so that wounds dont have to be dealed to him.

Offline mick666

• I *Love* EldarOnline!
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2002, 10:50:25 PM »
no they just suck ass
rick

Offline Farseer_Sting

• Play Guard, Never be out gunned
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2002, 11:30:14 PM »
Hells no, they are great against bugs and guard. that gernade pack is excellent. Hawks are not like banshees/scorpions meaning that u just dont assault any enemy, thats just plain suicidal/stupid. You have to pick your targets carefully but with this technique you can be deadly. Just do you bump rushing death company! Try and take nice and small/expensive squads (for higher T enemies that is) otherwise like against tau or nids just pic who ever you fell is the greatest treat. Those guns they have are really good at taking down stuff at range, just not stuff in good armour.

Instant IQ test click here

Warp Riders Expeditionary Force
Win=15
Loose=2
Tie=0

Offline mick666

• I *Love* EldarOnline!
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2002, 11:37:51 PM »
man hawks wont kill any death company the death company are made for close combat.the hawks have punny guns and their strenght sucks.
rick

Offline ppryan

• Black Guardian
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2002, 11:48:29 PM »
man hawks wont kill any death company the death company are made for close combat.the hawks have punny guns and their strenght sucks.

not true ive killed death company with my hawks. When i started playing i needed extra points against my blood angel friend. He had i think like 8 death company and a chaplain in a tranport. I destryed the transport with my falcon causing the company to have to walk, then i deep striked the hawks 24" away after killing one with the grenade pack then i just shot at them while moving back. Since their pistols only have a 12" range i just kept backing up shooting at them and this made my friend angry so he decided to keep following them until he killed them (vengence). Well after i killed half the squad i let him get closer to me and then i charged him in cc and annilated him with the exarch and even killed the chaplain with sheer numbers. So hawks dont suck

Offline Kaladis

• i need to learn how to spell properly
  • rikku is hot!!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2002, 12:00:02 AM »
Your crazy if u think hawks can kill death company not everyone uses rigged dice!! geez and they die easy hell guardiens killthem lol (happened to my friends hawks) so i laugh at u ppl thinking hawks are good even against nids they aint

ultamite killing force. damn they r hot!!!!!
Awwwwwww The power of Cheese!!!!!!!!!!

Offline ppryan

• Black Guardian
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2002, 12:09:59 AM »
Eldar in general are known for their speed and as such are good at hit and runs or raids though raids are more for dark eldar but it doesn't matter. Sure hawks dont have the best weapons but a true player would use them and make them work. Also just becuase your opponent gets an armour save doesn't mean that the squad shouldn't shoot at them anymore, thats just taking the easy way out. For example, reapers arent that effective against terminators becuase their guns have an AP of 3 but that doesn't mean they cant kill them.

Offline Disno

• dont make me Robo tackle you
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2002, 08:16:21 AM »
well if you take a big squad of hawks you have some problems the exarch is the only thing worth it i got 20+ attacks on a necon warrior squad the other day

Offline Lord Calamir

• Member of the Council of Ulthwe
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2002, 04:29:09 PM »
Your crazy if u think hawks can kill death company not everyone uses rigged dice!! geez and they die easy hell guardiens killthem lol (happened to my friends hawks) so i laugh at u ppl thinking hawks are good even against nids they aint

I suggest you get some experience with them before posting nonsense here.
If you equip the Exarch with a Web of Skulls and shuri-pistol, and then charge into hth, he has four attacks, and for every hit he may take another one. You can get inhuman numbers of attacks that way (I once got 17, and I know you can get even more). Now, all these attacks are performed with a POWER WEAPON, ignoring armor saves! Even with the Exarch's mere strength of 3, that means you can cut down a small SM squad in a single round of combat! And you're telling me Hawks are useless? ROFL...
All hail Eldrad, for he shall safely guide us through the darkness until a new morning dawns.

Offline Khal Ynnoth

• Death before Dis-honour
  • Armies: Eldar - Saim Hann, Space Marines - Storm Crows
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2002, 04:31:30 PM »

You obviously read his description so thoroughly! You may have noticed the stat line of the Hawks Lasblaster, Assault 2 24" range? hmmm, if the idiot with the Death company didn't take Jump Packs that's his lookout. Give me 10 Hawks with an Exarch over 20 Guardians with a Warlock, hmmm.
Against Nids and Guard, Spiders and Hawks are great, at other times their uses are limited, but until they make the latest Assault rules official, then both are great for crossfire purposes.

"I Khal Ynnoth of the Dyanni Muathi hereby make a blood oath by my Kin, by my Clan and by my Craftworld to defend and uphold the honour of our brothers of Saim Hann and their allies.
Their cause is ours, this blood seals our fates forever!"
 - Khal Ynnoth of the Dyanni Muathi

Offline Asurmen_

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2002, 06:01:18 PM »
maybe you should read the post Khal Ynnoth he said they were in a rhino which means they CAN'T have jump packs and he destoryed the rhino

Offline Farseer_Sting

• Play Guard, Never be out gunned
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2002, 06:16:12 PM »
actually what started that entire death company debate was actually a spelling error by my self ;D i meant say dont charge death company!

Instant IQ test click here

Warp Riders Expeditionary Force
Win=15
Loose=2
Tie=0

Offline mick666

• I *Love* EldarOnline!
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2002, 10:16:10 PM »
to ppryan: you only kiiled the death company because you used weapons you didnt even go into close combat with them theyll smash your ugly face if you go in close combat
rick

Offline ppryan

• Black Guardian
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2002, 10:20:53 PM »
What are you talking about, i said that i wore down half of the squad with weapons and then charged them in cc and finished them off mainly with the exarch

Offline Monoglycer

• Supa-Mekboy!
  • Ancient
  • Hard work pays off later but laziness pays off NOW
    • Eldaronline
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2002, 10:38:30 PM »
It really depends on your tastes. If you like CC then of course you think hawks are useless  ::). But if you like shooting the crap out of the enemy then use them 8)

Offline mick666

• I *Love* EldarOnline!
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2002, 11:31:26 PM »
you had to use the exarch but you couldnt kill anything with it
rick

Offline mick666

• I *Love* EldarOnline!
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2002, 11:33:06 PM »
you couldtn kill anything without the exarch so they are useless and suck.
rick

Offline Rynadrae

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2002, 03:51:06 AM »
I think if you know what you're doing hawks can be one of the most devastating units on the field.  If you are a moron and charge SH into a full unit of say Death Company or World Eaters you deserve the ugly fate thats coming your way.  If you use them against IG, Nids, or Tau they tend to leave long lines of bloody bodies behind them.  In a single 2000 pt battle my squad of 10 killed at least 600 pts worth of Tau.  Just like anything else its how you deploy and use the strengths of a unit that decides the winner.  
Hey Mick666 why don't u take some banshees or scorps and charge them into a squad of 40 gaunts I guarantee if they live through the damage they'll be dead within another round.  Or how bout charge them across the field at some IG while the basilisks and lemon russ' make your precious units look like big blood smears on the field.  The point is you wouldn't do something like that because its tantamaunt to suicide.  Next you'll tell me that it could work if you had a waveserpent or falcon to transport them.  Well SH could do disgusting amounts of damage to either army and they wouldn't require an extra few hundred points to keep them alive either.
Personally I prefer just using my rangers and path-finders to make the enemy look like swiss cheese.
I am Aragorn so of Arathorn and if by life or death I can save you, I wil.