News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: speed and static combined?  (Read 544 times)

Offline -V-

• Infinity Circuit | O:nk's my painting bitch | Ork Yoof
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Fear the Shuriken
speed and static combined?
« on: April 21, 2007, 05:02:21 PM »
ok would it make sense in a mechanised force where speed is the essence for the majority of my force to use a haeavy weapons platform battery? 

the idea of them has always appealed to me despite its un eldar sit back and shoot approach, but i really dont know what to fill up my third heavy choice with, im not keen on the idea of wraithlords even though i love and play iyanden weird huh but i have no use for a second falcon any more since i cnt transport any more units with one, a second fire prism would send me crazy in the building and painting process.

now i can see advantages and disadvantages to this approach... the disadvantages

*weapons battery would be left open to a counter attack as they have no protection near them since my army is way up field
*my other units would obstruct LOS to vital targets for the weapons battery
*expensive in points cost and not very durable
*low manoueverability

advantages
*powerful and effective weaponry en masse with good Bs and likely to cause lots of damage
*a distraction to other aspects of my force
*variety of weaponry effective against vehicles, MEQ's and horde armies

so you see im stuck, i had considered war walkers as they are monouverable and bring heavy weaponry to bear but are very fragile and a primary target for opponents, plus this isnt a fluffy way to go for iyanden since they have to risk as few lives as possible

ok my list is so far

autarch with swooping hawk wings, reaper launcher,power weapon

10 guardians with weapon platform

10 dire avengers, exarch with 2 shuris and bladestorm

5 rangers

2 units of 5 wraithguard with warlock and waveserpent

8 warp spiders inc exarch with withdraw

6 banshees inc exarch with warshout and mirror blade mounted in falcon

fire prism

so as you can see a very mobile and elite force hope the list helps
« Last Edit: April 21, 2007, 05:10:43 PM by Valar »

Offline baumann

Re: speed and static combined?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2007, 05:42:33 PM »
First of all, it looks to me like you do have some slow, static units in your list. Your opponent, if you have not already intercepted his entire force with your mech units, is likely to try and reach your static troops with his assault/close range units. Fortunately, support weapons can be a very decent counter against this threat.

In a mech list, I'm not sure vibro cannons would be a decent choice because your grav tanks are fairly large, and therefor might get in the way. It's possible that your opponent will find ways to actually hide behind your tanks to avoid vibro cannon line of fire.

The shadow weaver is a very cheap option point-wise. It provides you with long-ranged support, but that might not be used to its full potential when the enemy is closing in on your static firepower troops, which will probably be close to your support weapon platforms I'm assuming. The other thing about shadow weavers is their lack in psychological effect. They are not really that powerful, so the enemy might just ignore them alltogether..

I think D-cannons would suit your list perfectly. These tank-killing/heavy-armor-ripping guns can be the ultimate psychological defense against oncoming assaulters. They pack an amazing punch in just 150 pts worth (100 pts can be decent as well). If you keep them close to your static troops, I guarantee your opponent will think twice about entering the d-cannon zone.

anyway, hope that helps.

Offline Nyarlathotep

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2007, 10:19:17 AM »
True, but what about the ability of shadow weavers to kill and pin squadmembers from turn 1?

You provide instant covering fire for your advance, which gives you the chance to pin heavy weapon teams as your vehicles approach.... Also, I think all barrage weapons threaten pretty well, especially if you have 3 blasts every turn.

I'd suggest a warlock with embolden leading them. It comes to just 120pts all up, which is really quite good. Given that your objective is to get to the enemy quickly, the fight will be closer to their deployment zone, so you should be safe from most enemy units.

The D-cannons would be excellent against close combat armies though. But all the juiciest targets should be killed by the wraithguard, making them perhaps a little superfluous. The shadow weavers could make up for the lack of long range power.

Offline mikesusername

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2007, 12:38:59 PM »
go for the second prism,  if you already have a falcon i have a quick and easy conversion for you.

1) grab one of those old school small flyer bases

2) run down to a local bead/precious stone shop,  find something that looks apropriate.  (it might take a bit but i found the perfect thing in like 10 miniutes)

3) turn the old school flying base upside down, glue some eldar bits on,  glue some upside down guardian smokestacks to act as holders for your stone,  glue some piece to the rear of the stone that looks like some kind of power providing widget. 

4) glue and paint,

5) add stone

presto,  a sweet looking fire prism turrent made in likely 1 hour for 10$ or less that is swapable with a falcon turet.  double your tanks cheep and easy!.  I did this conversion my self and it looks pretty awsome. plus it saved me having to get any fireprism models as i can just convert my three falcons.

Offline Mr.Peanut (Turtleproof)

• Ride Like Lightning, Crash Like Thunder | Infinity Circuit | Pork Sword of Mod-Justice | Took the basket, nuts and lol | Good grief, ye hennie pennies
  • Ancient
  • Turtleposting At The Speed Of SHift
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Sigmarines, Chaos, Demons
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2007, 01:01:52 PM »
The problem with platforms in a speed army is keeping-up with the rest of the army.  For me, that puts out D-Cannons; they're short-ranged and inaccurate anyway.  Shadow Weavers are great against light infantry, but there aren't many Dark Eldar, Imperial Guard, or Ork players in my area- they do have the longest range, though. 

Personally, I use Vibro Cannons.  I have two batteries for anti-tank and targets of opportunity against multiple hordes.  Their range and accuracy are nominal and two in each battery doesn't cost that much.
You are
What you do
When it counts
     -The Masao
"Getting what you want can be dangerous.

Offline Lascidel

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2007, 06:54:22 PM »
If you have a free heavy slot open, for not many points, a Vibrocannon is a no-brainer. Other heavy options are also good, but vibros are the cheapest and can still be very effective in any list, so long as there is adequate LOS blocking terrain.

That being said, if your list already has 1 prism, adding a second is a good deal. Fire Prisms really shouldn't be fielded in singles. The versatility of having a pair gives each of them greater cost-effectiveness.
"Out we come, bloodied and squalling, with the knowledge that for all the points on the compass, there is only one direction, and time is its only measure."
-Rosencrantz (an Eldar at heart) from Tom Stoppard's Rosancrantz & Guildenstern are Dead

"I... like using a mallot to kill kittens."
-Roy