News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: What to buy next...  (Read 1137 times)

Offline .Martin.

• I *LOVE* EO and 40K.ca
What to buy next...
« on: August 14, 2006, 02:10:29 PM »
There are a lot of rumours floating around on this forum about new eldar models and new codex. I would like to know which units are worth buying concerning the recent rumours about new eldar rules.

I thought about buying new boxed set of rangers (cause they look so cool) and also I read that their shot becomes AP1 on a roll of 5 or 6 to hit, so this makes them an interesting option.
I also thought about buying heavy weapon platform for my guardians but I've read that they are not so good as before (something about their increased min squad size and worse heavy weapon choices than before - like starcannon becoming H2).
So I would like to know what the pros are thinking about the new rangers and guardians rules as well as other troops vehicles.
I already have:
1 falcon
1 serpent
5 reapers, exarch included
10 scorpions with ex
5 spiders with ex
2 heavy weapon platforms
2 vipers
3 seers and 6 warlocks
30 defender guardians
1 wraithlord

I was also thinking about banshees and hawks or maybe storm guardians but I just cant decide what to buy next.
Will the hawk models be redone?
"Yes, I am a scythe in field at summer,
I am a thunder that awakens the earth,
I am that, which gives the night air it's chill..."
 Bal-Sagoth

Offline magikot of alaitoc

• Infinity Circuit
  • The lovable li'l pagan
Re: What to buy next...
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 02:36:01 PM »
I thought about buying new boxed set of rangers (cause they look so cool) and also I read that their shot becomes AP1 on a roll of 5 or 6 to hit, so this makes them an interesting option.

This will require a point increase. The standard rangers (AP1 on a 6) are getting a squad increase to 5 minimum, and can be upgraded to the pathfinders with the AP1 you mentioned for an addition point cost. A complete list of the models getting redone and the point and stat changes for certain models are listed through out the Rumour Mill. Have a check there.
"Your reality, Sir, is nothing but lies and baulderdash! And it pleases me to announce that I have no grasp of it what-so-ever!" ~ Baron Munchausen, The Adventures of Baron Munchausen

Offline Lord Ulthanash

• Armies: Eldar: Corsairs and Ulthwe
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006, 02:37:14 PM »
rangers would definetely be a good choice, I bought mine yesterday. Also, wraithgaurd will be a good choice because there models arent changing. you might want to get more spiders because there not changing and I think they're being changed to fast attack. I don't know whats happening to the banshees but if you are going to get them get them now because I think these banshees look better.

He who sees his own doom can better avoid its path. He who sees the doom of others can deliver it.

Offline srintuar

• Infinity Circuit | I'm too rational to have a mod-imposed dumb title, I suppose.
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • 電光石火
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2006, 02:50:44 PM »
If you want something to work on right now, consider filing out that spider unit to full size.
Their models aren't changing, and they wouldnt match your current spiders if they did.

The nowly available rangers are very nice looking, even if they arent our best model they
still look cool.

I would suggest getting more wave serpents too, as you only have 1.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2006, 04:30:39 PM by srintuar »

Offline Naikee

• Wych
  • Dear, dear..
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2006, 04:18:34 PM »
i definatly advise getting one more falcon or maybe 2!
the models arnt changing and they are nice models. the rules are amazing pretty much the best tank in the game apart from the monolith so it is worth it. if the rules of the falcons change well they will be made a bit worse but cheaper so it is all good

"Death is my meat, terror my wine."

Current w/d/l with my Slaanesh HOC: 3/1/0
last game against vampire counts 2500

Offline .Martin.

• I *LOVE* EO and 40K.ca
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2006, 04:49:25 PM »
Serpent is worse than falcon now but that may change, so I'll wait until new dex comes out to decide (or the roumors about serpent).
I guess I'll fill spider unit up as they will probably get deepstrike (and are very good unit overall).
The avengers are getting some cool stuff so I guess I'll buy 2 squads of them at least.
I'm considering buying a squad of banshees but are they going to work?
Concerning the jetbike squads, do you think they will be a viable option?
Sure, their points will decrease but each bike is just 2 shuri shots which is not good imo.
What do you think?
"Yes, I am a scythe in field at summer,
I am a thunder that awakens the earth,
I am that, which gives the night air it's chill..."
 Bal-Sagoth

Offline Warlock Mischel

• It's GO TIME!!!
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2006, 06:41:24 PM »
I still don't like the Jetbikes even with their points decrease.  The offense is still a tad weak.  Go ahead and buy them though, the models ain't changing.

Avengers are coming out with new models so you might want to hold off until then.

Serpents are always good, I mean what else are you going to transport your Scorpions, Banshees, and etc in that has a 12 model capacity? (I think this is still a rumour, but still...)

Like others have said fill out your Warp Spider squad, get a Wave Serpent and if you want, the new rangers.
Eldar: 1500 Points
Eldar Summary Battle Report:
Eldar: 3/0/1
Current Victory Over: Chaos (1000)
Mission: Seek & Destroy
Level: Gamma (without Nightfight)
Result: Victorius Slaughter (Opponent forfeited)
Quote of the battle:  How the **** did your Spiders kill my Rhino! 
2nd Quote of the Battle: You blew up my Dread and Pred in one turn...

Offline Thinbalion

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2006, 04:00:53 PM »
Serpent is worse than falcon now but that may change, so I'll wait until new dex comes out to decide (or the roumors about serpent).

Surely you jest, a fast transport that is the backbone of many eldar armies... and as far as firepower can be better than a falcon because of the twin-linked turret... I couldn't dissagree more.

--Thinbalion

Offline srintuar

• Infinity Circuit | I'm too rational to have a mod-imposed dumb title, I suppose.
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • 電光石火
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2006, 05:39:29 PM »
Surely you jest, a fast transport that is the backbone of many eldar armies... and as far as firepower can be better than a falcon because of the twin-linked turret... I couldn't dissagree more.

If the rumor about wave serpents gaining access to holofields is correct, you might see them in a whole new light.

Offline Thinbalion

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2006, 08:17:04 PM »

If the rumor about wave serpents gaining access to holofields is correct, you might see them in a whole new light.

All I was saying is that they are good already... so why wait... if the rumors that they will be better come the new codex are true.

--Thinbalion

Offline Killgore

• Guardian
  • Ulthwe
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2006, 06:49:55 PM »
I'v yet to buy any Wave Serpents for my Eldar army, but now I'v just managed to perchase alot of aspect warriors rather cheaply I will need to buy a few WS

is it best to equip them with TL Bright Lances? as i find my armys tend to lack av and feel that StarCannons are best left on the Falcons and Guardians

Offline Thinbalion

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2006, 06:57:48 PM »
My feel is that brightlances fare better on things w/ higher BS, (a.k.a. the wraithlord) since it's a single shot weapon. However, the WS is probably the next best thing for it being twin-linked... In fact that's what my next one is getting.

--Thinbalion