News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: StraightSilver's Macragge PDF.  (Read 35568 times)

Offline StraightSilver

StraightSilver's Macragge PDF.
« on: October 7, 2009, 11:39:37 AM »
Hi everybody.

Well after a loooong time away from my paint  brushes I have once again decided not to finish what I was doing previously but start something new instead!

The funny thing is rather than start something completely different I have at least decided to start an army that can be incorporated into 2 of my existing armies!

So I have an almost finished 2000 point Cadian Army, and a half finished 1500 point Ultramarines army.

I actually surprised myself by really enjoying painting the Ultramarines, in particular the Scouts, and I learned a lot painting my Cadians, in particular how I could have finished them much sooner (they took 4 years on and off!!).

So I decided with the arrival of the new IG Codex to start a new Imperial Guard army, but the idea was that I could paint it up slowly and incorporate it into my existing Guard army, as I will be painting up new units that are lacking in my Cadians.

I will be constructing a 1500 point army which will be based around my interpretation of the Macragge PDF.

This therefore means bleached bone fatigues and Ultramarines Blue armour. The figures will pretty much match the colour scheme of Ultramarines Scouts.

For cool factor and also to speed things up all the models will be getting Forge World Respirator Heads, which means no faces to paint except on sergeants which will make painting easier.

I can paint tanks pretty fast too, and as I already have a fairly infantry heavy Cadian army this army will be fully mechanised with quite a few tanks.

Because Macragge PDF units are apparently better equipped and more disciplined than most Guard Regiments my troops choices will be veterans and there will be a high prevalence of plasma weaponry.

I will also be heavily converting my vehicles, using a combination of Guard and Marine parts to give the impression of better equipment and a link to the Ultramarines themselves.

I have only just started assembling the first squad: A 10 man Veteran Squad with Autocannon and 2 plasma guns in a Chimera, but I hope to have something to show very soon.

I am mainly running this PLOG to motivate me to get something done as I am notorious for slacking and haven't painted for several months!

My army will also follow the Codex Astartes, so will feature Marine markings (Tactical Squad arrows), helmet colours (red for sergeants, white for Veterans etc) and will have Ultramarines logos to represent Ultamar.

They will also be split up into 10 companies, but still follow a Guard Platoon Structure.

I plan to have no Penal Troops, Ogryns or Ratlings in this army as they don't fit into the epitome of Imperial Society that Utramar represents, but there will be lots of Vets, Stormtroopers, Sentinels etc.

Anyway, that's about it, hopefully have piccies soon!
Dig in, and wait for winter.

Offline StraightSilver

Re: StraightSilver's Macragge PDF.
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 11:39:48 AM »
Hi everybody, well I finally managed to get hold of a camera, only to discover that I then took some really rubbish pics!!

Still at least we have signs of progress, albeit slow. Didn't get as much done as I should have done over the weekend, but that's mainly because the conversions I had in my head didn't quite turn out to be so easy in reality!

First up is the almost complete Bungaroo Pattern Chimera.

However for fluff sake I present:

Guilliman Pattern Chimera with Auto Cannon and Heavy Bolter

Then just because I get distracted so easily instead of assembling the Hardened Vets to go with this I started making the mock up Turret for my Guilliman Pattern Hellhound.

In the theme of the army this uses Marine Razorback Parts mounted on a Chimera chassis, in this case a modified Razorback turret with converted Land Raider Redeemer flamers.

This is one of those ideas that worked really well in my head, but now in practice I'm not so sure (although it's hard to tell with the quality of the photos).

It does look like a Guard Razorback which is sort of the point, but I think the combination of the Razorback Turret and the Bungaroo pattern Chimera make the profile a bit too high.

I am considering mounting the Inferno Cannon further forward above the driver section (it is a remote turret similar to the Graia pattern Hellhound), but I will wait and see.

This is still very, very WIP. I plan to make some modifications to the Chimera chassis too to include the fule bowser etc, but this was just to get a feel for the turret.

And then I also started some of my Vets, but obviously haven't got far.

Apart from the FW heads these are pretty much straight Cadians apart from the sergeant. I have shaved off some of his chest armour and added a Brass Etched FW Aquilla. This is to make him look more Ultramarine like, without going too far.

I have also shaved off the little lug things on the back of their armour to give a smoother more streamlined appearance.

Cheers for looking, I promise to take better photos next time!  ;D

« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 12:09:04 PM by Chris Parsons »

Offline Fugitive

• Major, Best Painted Sentinel
  • Tuseday is soylent green day.
    • my portfolio
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 02:15:11 PM »
Hey Chris, nice to see your "new" army starting to take shape. I like the idea of your army. There was a thread about this on the IG board about a month ago. If you haven't read it you could dig it up for inspiration.

From what I can see in the pictures, I think the hellhound looks great. I think putting the turret up front wouldn't look as good.

The small modifications to the standard guardsmen looks good. The eagle on the sgt awesome. I'd tell you to do the same on every guardsman, but I suspect it would become too expensive.

Will you be painting them like ultra marine scouts (white fatigues/blue armour)? Hope to see a painted test mini soon. :)

I survived the "CoC Crackdown".

Offline Guildmage Aech

• FLAMER: Ego Bigger than his Common Sense Centre | 40KO's Care Bear of Spite | Dolphin Death Dealer | 40K Oracle
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 10:12:04 PM »
I like the chimera but I don't think it would work for a chimera, you don't want a flamer turret mounted at the back of the tank.... its going to go end in tears. Besides having a more normal superstructure will help it look different from the chimeras, because of the marine style auto-turret it won't look too much like a standard IG model.

As a side suggestion I was thinking of making a marine armour chimera but never finished it, for the turret I was going to use a razorback turret but replacing the barrel of the lascannon with a multi-laser and putting a heavy bolter in the other side (techncially it would make the heavy bolter able to fire outside its normal arc but thats easily solved by simply not doing it!).
Although if you prefered to keep the heavy bolter hull mounted I'm sure you could use the space for the heavy stubber, a computer visual system or a hunter-killer even!

You could think about saving posh predator turrets for command chimeras that way.

Incidentally whats the paint scheme going to be? Camo with ultras blue segments and presumable white unit IDs or something more similar to the ultramarines themselves?

You mentioned different colour helmets but I would suggest sticking to single stripe (similar to the cadian whitesheilds style), as a full helmet coloured differently will have a lot more impact on an IG than it does on a heavily armoured marine (who has big shoulderpads etc), you don't want them to look like they have bobbly heads or something.
Rules Expert 2007 | Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit 2008 | Most Notoriously Valuable Rules Expert 2009 | Most Notorious 2014

Offline lijah_cuu

• Best Painted Hellhound; Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 01:51:24 PM »
Looking lovely mate! Now all you have to do is paint them........
I've done bugger all recently, have managed to airbrush the red onto my SH termies and thats about it.
Works been knackering me out by the time I get home and im just being really lazy!

Offline tryanotherone - smurfernating

• SPAMMER: I swear I am not an ad-bot!
  • Pray hard - life is short!
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 04:11:46 PM »
Good work on the chimera. It looks very good. Always wanted to do a bunch of those but never got myself started. There is just not enough time.

How many more of those are you going to do?
Taking a very long break.

The Rumour Mill - bending the fabric of time and space

Remember Brimstone - legends live forever

Offline StraightSilver

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2009, 06:06:50 AM »
Hi Guys,

Well first of all apologies for the delay in posting updates. This is mainly because I haven't really got a huge amount done to be honest!

I made a start painting up my first squad, didn't like them and so repainted them!

These are still very much work in progress but I am happy with the final paint recipe so thought I would let you guys have a look.

So far only the fatigues and Armour have been finished, so things like bases, grenades, lasguns, webbing etc still have yet to be done.

The Ultramar iconography also needs adding, as well as Squad/Platoon numbers which will go on their backs. I have painted on the tactical Squad Arrow to conform to the Codex Astartes, but I cannot seem to get the white to sit properly so may have to redo these.

These were also originally intended to be Veterans (so White Helmets and more special weapons) but will now be an Infantry Platoon.

The only major issue I had with these was the fatigues. I had worked out in my head a very quick way to paint them as I have already painted lots of scouts for my Ultras and thought I could use the same recipe, but in reality it didn't work.

I had used Gryphonne Sepia wash over Dheneb Stone, but this gave too warm a colour which didn't suit the coldness of the blue, so I went back and toned them down with them some more subtle washes and glazes and repainted all 10 of them!

The final recipe is Dheneb Stone with a Gryphonne Sepia wash as the base colour. This is then highlighted using Kommando Khaki and Bleached Bone, with a couple of glazes made mixing Kommando Khakli and Gryphonne Sepia.

Obviously these 3 are by no means finished but they give a good impression of how the army will look and I am pleased so far.

And then a pic with a couple of my Ultras just to get a feel of how they match up

@ Tryanotherone: Cheers, I had originally only planned on having 3 Chimeras (2 for the Vet Squads and 1 for the HQ), but after playtesting the list this has now increased to 5 as I am adding in an Infantry Platoon mainly because I need more troops.

Cheers for looking.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 08:50:10 AM by Chris Parsons »

Offline Fugitive

• Major, Best Painted Sentinel
  • Tuseday is soylent green day.
    • my portfolio
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2009, 07:00:43 AM »
Wow Chris, they look great. Especially the sergent. I had my doubts about giving them different coloured helmets, but it looks good on him. The aquila on his armour does indeed remind me of marine armour.

I survived the "CoC Crackdown".

Offline DarkstormUlthwe

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2009, 07:58:31 AM »
They look very good Chris! The fatigues and blue go really well together. I'll be a very nice force once completed.

2nd place - 40kO painting competition expert category April 2005
1st Place - 40kO converting competition beginner category June 2005

Offline Semaj_14

• "I don't need Luck, I have Flamers!"
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2009, 11:22:21 AM »
Awesome. I look forward to seeing the scheme on the tanks and this army as a whole painted on the table top (wish there were people devoted like that around here)
"Through the Fires of battle Unto the Anvil of war!"

"When In doubt Just add More Melta!"

Offline Benis

• 77 Shades Of Decay | Lazerous Penguin | Death to the Emperor with a Pulse!
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Getkilling
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2009, 11:36:04 AM »
Very nice indeed. Made me think a lot about the Battle for Macragge GW did some time during 2nd edition with Valhallans to represent the PDF supporting the Ultramarines on the north pole of Macragge, your models would have been so much cooler, very fitting for cold climates and the parade colour scheme would probably look good in Arctic warfare.

Offline StraightSilver

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2009, 11:47:17 AM »
Cheers guys.

And Benis cheers, I wanted them to look like a cold weather force. I imagine them to be stationed either at one of the poles or in the mountain regions, which is why they all have respirators and gloves.

I think the colour scheme although bright wouldn't look too out of place in an Arctic Setting.

Offline StraightSilver

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2009, 06:00:19 AM »
Ok so I have made a start on the Hellhound Variant.

This was my first ever attempt at using Plasticard and to be honest I am not entirely happy with the results, but the photos make it look worse than in real life though.

I think the problem was buying Plasticard which was simply too thick, which made it difficult to cut. I should really have waited until my next trip to Model Zone, but unfortunately I am a bit too impatient....

So basically I have stuck with the Bungaroo/Razorback configuration. I know this loses me a bit of range in game terms, but I tried the turret in other positions and this was by far the most aesthetic and fits the theme beter.

I have changed the side panels (the shoddy plasticard work) and added some fule tanks for the Inferno Cannon here, as well as adding a Fuel Bowser at the back (although this now just looks like a hatch stuck on the back - which is pretty much what it is - so i may change that)

[IMG]http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff258/geekfilth/DSC00627.jpg[/IMG

Offline Semaj_14

• "I don't need Luck, I have Flamers!"
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2009, 03:48:41 PM »
If there are some gas stations near you that hand out those Gas Cards (like credit cards but for gas) See if you can pick them up. They dont tend to actually cost anything and if you happen to know the people they may give em to you by the handfull. Those (and other gift card equivelents) have been what I use for Plasticard. Too thin? just stack them and glue. By the way Its looking great! I really like the use of the Flamestorm cannons on that hell hound.
"Through the Fires of battle Unto the Anvil of war!"

"When In doubt Just add More Melta!"

Offline Only Slightly Crazy

• Those Damm commies! Impurifing our bodily fluids!
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2009, 08:58:13 PM »
I second Semaj. I occasinaly get free credit card promo witha little card in them, those should work. The flamer's placement compared to the main hatch is hillarious problematic, though. "Bob, use the stubber. Oh, an ork! Sorry, Bob." :)
DISCLAMER! Any thing offensive can be considered a joke in bad taste. Thank you!

Offline The Black Dahlia Murder

• NRPH forever...
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2009, 11:14:00 PM »
Everything looks great. I love the chimeras and variants. How did you make the chimeras? I would love to make a few of these for my army.

Offline Artcore

• "It's such a fine line between stupid and clever"
    • My jazz combo: Starlight Jazz Trio
  • Armies: Ultra Marines
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2009, 06:59:15 PM »
Good to see you took up the brush again, Chris!

Those models look great! Funny to see Ultramarine IG. I don't really get it; what is the macragge pdf?

The freehand tactical arrows look great; wish I didn't have to use those stupid decals anymore...

Please post more pics when you've got some painting done; always a pleasure to see your work.

Offline Only Slightly Crazy

• Those Damm commies! Impurifing our bodily fluids!
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2009, 10:29:01 PM »
I don't really get it; what is the macragge pdf?

Well, PDF stands for Planetary Defense Force. These are a local militia raised on each world in case of invasion. On Maccragre, they would use UltraSmurfs colors, to denote their planet. Chris is doing a sterling job of representing this force.
DISCLAMER! Any thing offensive can be considered a joke in bad taste. Thank you!

Offline StraightSilver

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2009, 05:21:58 AM »
Hi Guys, cheers for all the great comments, I am really enjoying painting this army so hopefully won't get too tempted to start something else in the mean time!

And on that note I have to confess that progress has been slooooow....

The sad thing is for once I have the urge to paint and get frustrated when I can't (normally I have no urge so capitalise on it when I can!), but recently I have been very busy with "real life" which has meant I haven't made a huge amount of progress.

But just to show that I have done something here are some shots of my Guilliman Pattern Hellhound.

Obviously still nowhere near finished, but it is looking promising.

The decals do look awful but they are only temporary and are there to give me an idea of how much white there will be on the model. This is because my Ultramarines Rhinos all have large white Tactical/Assault etc symbols on them which breaks up the blue and I want something similar (but more subtle) on my PDF vehicles.

I should also really be painting up my Infantry Platoon as they are my first troops choice but for some reason I keep getting drawn back to this model....

I may change a couple of things. Some of the highlighting on the side panels is incorrectly placed and a bit messy, but I will wait and see what it looks like with all the edge highlighting in place first (this takes me ages and is quite boring which is why I haven't finished it yet!).

@ Artcore: Cheers, how are your Marines coming on btw? And Only Slightly... has pretty much nailed it, the Macragge PDF are the Planetary Defence Force for Macragge and were involved in the battles against the Nids alongside the Ultramarines. They form part of the wider Ultramar Defence Force, whci is similar to other Imperial PDF regiments, except that the UDF is commanded by Marneus Calgar rather than an Admistratum appointed Governor. Hence the colour scheme and slightly more exotic equipment etc.

Cheers everybody. :)

Offline Artcore

• "It's such a fine line between stupid and clever"
    • My jazz combo: Starlight Jazz Trio
  • Armies: Ultra Marines
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2009, 05:57:57 AM »
Hey Chris, the tank looks very good! The blue is... enchanting  :o

Obviously still nowhere near finished, but it is looking promising.
LOL I think for most of us the model looks finished, except that it needs some guns. This gives me an idea why your painting is slow :) You just keep painting and improving the model. And the results are great.

Are you gonna paint all those symbols free hand? Wish I could do that and say goodbye to the stupid decals...

If you're interested here's my blog on my Ultramarines: http://www.40konline.com/index.php?topic=181922.40