News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Building celtic patterns and painting freehand  (Read 2955 times)

Offline Skeeve

• Brushmaster 5000
    • My painting Blog
Building celtic patterns and painting freehand
« on: November 10, 2010, 10:53:00 AM »
This is started as a "learning by doing" project before the last GD but had to be put on hold due actively encroaching real life. So the main idea is to learn how to paint and build effective Celtic-looking patterns. Celtic patters, especially the real one from Irish medieval books or tombstone looks very, VERY complicated. In addition they are pretty large. There are several examples when Celtic-looking patterns were effectively used to decorate vehicles, for example here
http://www.coolminiornot.com/150262, or larger miniatures (54mm +). On 28 mm using "real" Celtic patterns is more difficult because of obvious size issues.

So, I figures that I will try to adapt these patterns to 28 mm scale and learn how to build and paint them in the process.

Here is the result of this effort. The first pictures is pure "patternology" with some some thoughts about constructing patterns that could be painted on a small scale without degenerating into invisibility or becoming to complicated to paint. The second is actual painting on a  inner surface of a cape from  converted Space Wolf Lord.

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

Offline nesbitt_bub1

• Infinity Circuit
  • Stop looking at my AVATAR, read what i did write!!
Re: Building celtic patterns and painting freehand
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 02:03:28 PM »
If you can pull it off i'll be mighty impressed!

For some inspiration have a look at the artwork of "the book of Kells". It's a crossover Celtic book from the change from pagan to Christian religion in Ireland and Scotland. The artwork is probably some of the best examples of it's kind.

Offline Skeeve

• Brushmaster 5000
    • My painting Blog
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 09:14:58 PM »
If you can pull it off i'll be mighty impressed!

I though I did, or at least I tried :)

Offline web ghost

• Lookit me! I did something useful!
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • "Beware of this and that" -Edward Gorey
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 11:51:23 PM »
well good look with that.  Seems like a mighty ambitious project.

....just kidding.  Those designs look fantastic.  The highlighting makes it looks like it's been embroidered or gilded onto the cloth.
Very natural looking.  Great work.

Offline DJ-of-E

• Slow Painter is Slow
    • DJ-of-E's 40k Album
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2010, 03:26:18 AM »
What brushes did you use for these patterns?  If I would guess the size, it would be a difficult task to do, even with the 000 brush.

Offline Skeeve

• Brushmaster 5000
    • My painting Blog
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2010, 07:46:23 AM »
What brushes did you use for these patterns?  If I would guess the size, it would be a difficult task to do, even with the 000 brush.
When I started this little project I talked to several people at GD that are known to paint pretty elaborate freehands. Based on their recommendations I bought Raphael 3/0 and Winsor and Newton series 7 miniature 000.  I am using raphael  more often and I think it is more convenient. It is is bigger then the W&N. W&N miniature series 7 is tiny and dries too fast. Since I am not a big fan of retarders I prefer Raphael - it holds more paint. Both are Kolinsky sable brushes

However, a different painter who also paint an amazing freehands every morning instead of breakfast swear by synthetic DaVinci brush (also 000). Davinci brushes are somewhat cheaper. Then again, Price is relative. W&N over the internet is cheaper then local GW brushes.