News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Join the BYB movement!!!  (Read 3698 times)

Offline Evolutionary Fault

• You're never too old to play with toys!
Join the BYB movement!!!
« on: October 30, 2012, 11:40:47 AM »
Right; I've been playing 40k since 3rd edition; when we affectionately referred to the rulebook as the BBB (or "big black book"), as the cover was mostly shades of grey/black.  I put the hobby on hiatus just as the 4th edition rules came out, this time with the cover in shades of green; earning it the moniker of the BGB (big green book...).  Once I got back into 40k, towards the end of 5th, we had moved into the BRB, as the cover art was mainly red...

So why are we calling the core rulebook, with it's yellow art the BRB still?  when did our clever, affectionate nicknames change from edition specific, colour based ones, to a generic "Big Rule Book" (as that's the only sense I can make of the "R")?

From henceforth, I declare we shall refer to the 6th edition rules as the BYB, or the 'Big Yellow Book."  now I only need to convince the rest of the world to listen to a grizzled old vet like me...

Honestly though, what the F?  Is there something I missed between 4/5th edition that changed the standard?  :o

There you have it, join the movement, fight the power, and bring back colour coded editions!

*mods: I figure this belongs in general 40k, but if it better belongs in the tavern or something, by all means send it away*
Join the BYB movement!!!
Change the world.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
Re: Join the BYB movement!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 11:51:09 AM »
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Dev Null

• GW has copyrighted my ability to be wrong.
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 01:20:27 PM »
Didn't even know it was supposed to have something to do with colour or size; I always thought it stood for Basic Rule Book.

Offline Evolutionary Fault

• You're never too old to play with toys!
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 11:00:16 PM »
You're really late to the party.

This makes me sad.

Regardless, the initial post stands.  I'm lobbying for tradition, instead of silly nicknames; as many of the suggested monikers (BDB especially) will apply throughout 7th, 8th (and so on) editions as well.  Some (or many) shall mock, but if there's one thing that I am, it's stubborn.  more stubborn than a guardsman with a commissair's bolt pistol held to his temple.  LONG LIVE PRIMARY COLORS!!!

But still.  BYB.  It just makes sense, especially if you feel like comparing editions (the evolution of rapid fire from the BBB to the BGB; or the change in assault from BRB to BYB, for example)

Didn't even know it was supposed to have something to do with colour or size; I always thought it stood for Basic Rule Book.
Educating the masses!
Join the BYB movement!!!
Change the world.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 11:18:44 PM »
4th Ed was the Big Grey Book, not green.

Unfortunately two of the previous editions were black and grey which certainly are not primary colours hence you're trying to make a tradition out of 1/5. Not a good look. The new edition is the Big Damn Book as it is as you can see. If 7th Ed comes into being even larger then we'll deal with that issue when it happens and not worry about it now.

Tradition is what you tell people when you've forgotten why you do certain things in the first place. Onion on your belt? Tradition as it was the style at the time.  ;)
Drink
Knights Tippler

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, 05:54:06 AM »
I'm with E Fault. Damn makes no sense to me as I keep reading it as damned or damnation, none of which make sense when referring to a book. Problem is my edition of the 6th edition rule book isn't very big or yellow as it came from the starter set.
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Arquarian

• Infinity Circuit
  • all is dust...
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2012, 06:52:20 AM »
BRB, Big Rule Book

Its Big and its a Rule Book

+++End Of+++

Offline Guildmage Aech

• FLAMER: Ego Bigger than his Common Sense Centre | 40KO's Care Bear of Spite | Dolphin Death Dealer | 40K Oracle
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2012, 08:04:59 AM »
But Big Damn Book is silly, most people will use and carry the small rulebook from Dark vengeance... Which isn't unusually big.

But we've had Brown, Grey & Red. Yellow seems reasonable, although given there is rarely ever a need to refer to a previous edition simply using BRB to refer to the current big rulebook seems sufficient.

I just tend to say main rulebook, it's not that hard. 
Rules Expert 2007 | Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit 2008 | Most Notoriously Valuable Rules Expert 2009 | Most Notorious 2014

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2012, 10:44:44 AM »
BRB, Big Rule Book

That was the last one.

But Big Damn Book is silly, most people will use and carry the small rulebook from Dark vengeance... Which isn't unusually big.

But is it yellow enough?

« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 10:46:11 AM by Rummy »
Drink
Knights Tippler

Offline Arquarian

• Infinity Circuit
  • all is dust...
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2012, 10:49:36 AM »
BRB, Big Rule Book

That was the last one.

There is only one!

[gmod]There is no need to post in all caps. All caps is akin to shouting. If you want to emphasize your words, there are other ways of doing it.[/gmod]
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 01:27:17 PM by Grand Master Lomandalis »

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2012, 10:52:19 AM »
Not according to my bookshelf. Yours must be much smaller.  ;)

If we're just going to refer to it as the rule book then a TLA is hardly necessary and would basically be redundant. Same as labeling army lists with the prefix of "6th".
Drink
Knights Tippler

Online Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2012, 01:35:11 PM »
Well if we are going to refer to it by what it is, then BRB makes sense for the rule book aspect.  But if we are going for  naming it based on what is on the cover then I disagree with with calling it yellow.

Because to me, the yellow areas behind the Dark Angel captain looks more like a very pale green than it does yellow.  So I would say either Big Green Book for the fact that it has all the green from the Dark Angels and the pale green from the air or the Big Dark Angel Book.  If we wanted to keep with the 3 letter system then BDB would work for that as well.  OR!  Seeing as the Dark Angels and their successors are called the Unforgiven, it could be the Big Unforgiven Book!

Yeah... I like calling it BUB lol
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Guildmage Aech

• FLAMER: Ego Bigger than his Common Sense Centre | 40KO's Care Bear of Spite | Dolphin Death Dealer | 40K Oracle
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2012, 02:44:08 PM »
In additon to that I've thought of a nickname for the Dark Vengeance based on its contents.

Box of traitors.
Rules Expert 2007 | Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit 2008 | Most Notoriously Valuable Rules Expert 2009 | Most Notorious 2014

Offline Arquarian

• Infinity Circuit
  • all is dust...
« Reply #13 on: November 1, 2012, 05:51:09 AM »
In additon to that I've thought of a nickname for the Dark Vengeance based on its contents.

Box of traitors.

And so to abbreviate.... BoT

Hymrl you little cheeky  :)