News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Firepower of the Tyranids  (Read 1499 times)

Offline Halberd-Blue

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Long Live C'Nesha
    • Lord of the Universe's Website
Firepower of the Tyranids
« on: September 1, 2002, 06:23:58 AM »
In a recent game against the nids (I was playing Necrons allied with one other person) he was able to shoot 14 S10 shots in one turn.

We had one detachment.

The units he shot them from were 2 Carnifex, 2 Zoanthropes, and a Hive Tyrant.  The reason he has 4 Heavy Support is because I was allied with another Necron player and we ended out having both C'tan and a Lord each.

Now my question is how can those 5 units get off 14 S10 shots.  On turn 1 he took out both C'Tan (we sucked at saving) and immobilized my Monolith.  All we had left was the 1000 or so points of warriors we took.

Was he cheating somehow?
"The rewards of tolerance are treachery and betrayal."

Offline Kei'Ariq

• Ancient
  • Ariq rides again
    • Wych Cult of Spank Me!
Re:Firepower of the Tyranids
« Reply #1 on: September 1, 2002, 07:26:52 AM »
A Carnifex with a Venom Cannon is S10 Assault 2, so two of those could fire four strength 10 shots.

Zoanthropes and Hive Tyrants can only get strength 10 by using the higher powered Warp Blast. That is a single shot weapon (Assault 1, not Assault X). So two Zoanthropes and a Hive Tyrant can only manage three strength 10 shots. If you meant two Heavy Support choices of three Zoanthropes each (not technically legal unless using two force organisation charts) then the Zoanthropes could fire six strength 10 shots.

14 shots is too many for that combination of units. It should be either 7 shots or 11 shots if there were six Zoanthrope models instead of two.

Offline chimera

• Whoa, this is the fourth time I died
« Reply #2 on: September 2, 2002, 09:34:08 AM »
I agree with archon.Four heavy support?
Ich bin die Verkörperung des Todes!

Im waitng in my cold cell,
When the bell begins to chime,
Reflecting on my past life,
And it doesn't have much time.

Cause at five o'clock,
 they take me to the gallows oooooohhhh!
The sands of time,
for me, are running low!

Offline Hivemind

« Reply #3 on: September 3, 2002, 10:25:34 AM »
The units you listed were actually 3 heavy support and an HQ.  The zoanthropes come 1-3 in a unit, but deploy and move independently from eachother.  

There's no legal way I can think of that he would be able to get 14 S10 shots from those models.  As the other's have said the max is 7.  The only thing that I can think of is if he was adding the extra attack from scything talons into the shooting profile, and considering the warp blast an assault X weapon instead of assault 1.

Then he would have 3 shots from each Carnifex, 4 from the tyrant and 2 from each zoanthrope = 14.  If he's a new player have him read his codex more carefully, since .  Pg 8 under 'Rate of Fire' and Pg 9 under 'Warp Blast'.
The Tyranids are the most rapidly evolving race in the galaxy.  They are super-predators destined to hunt all others to extinction.