News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Idharae-Loc's Demise: Final  (Read 2519 times)

Offline Kildash

• Infinity Circuit
Idharae-Loc's Demise: Final
« on: March 26, 2009, 02:20:37 PM »
Late 852.M41

The battle for Pugna was over. The Eldar had triumphed, and taken the dead planet back from the forces of Chaos. Though still inexperienced at that time, Khatri’Sann had proven to be exceptionally skilled. Not just in the skills of a Seer, but also in the leadership of an army. Though she had never before commanded such a large amount of soldiers before – it should be mentioned that the army on Pugna consisted of thousands of Eldar – she had done so with great skill, and not a single warrior had failed in his duty. They had slaughtered hundreds upon hundreds of enemies, heretical cultists and traitor Astartes alike.

But for what purpose, Khatri’Sann wondered, regrouping her forces.

Although the war for Pugna was over, the battle in the sky continued. High up in the void, just out of the planet’s gravity well, an infamous Black Legion Battle Barge realized what had happened. The traitor captain of the barge had used his full complement of skills to get past the Imperial ships - now long annihilated - unnoticed. All that effort had been for nothing. It turned its broadside towards Pugna, and began bombarding it in a last desperate move, victory out of its grasp.

At least, so it seemed to the captain of Terra’s Spear, and, unfortunately, to the supreme commander of Craftworld Idharae, His Lordship Autarch Kal Situs.

Deep within the enormous bulk that was Craftworld Idharae, Kal Situs observed the events that were unfolding above Pugna.

“My lord. The Chaos Barge is initiating bombardments on Pugna. Shall we engage?”

“Negative”, he replied. “The Astartes will deal with them.”

“Sir? The Young One is down there, does she not deserve our help?”

Kal Situs had never liked Khatri’Sann, or the Young One, as she was better known. To him, she was just another annoying pawn, to be used just like any other. In fact, he particularly detested this pawn. Twenty years ago, the rumor had spread that she was not fit for the role of Farseer, and the word was that her mind was impure. Of course, she always had a different opinion than everyone else, so that made her generally less likeable.

“No.”, he replied. “Let her burn.”

He didn’t get a reply for a few seconds, and then turned to face the servant. She was still standing next to his throne, but seemed paralyzed by the Lord Autarch’s words.

“Look, servant. The Astartes are already moving in.”

Still not quite sure what to think about her leader’s decision, the servant returned to her seat. Kal Situs turned back towards his own screen, but after a few seconds, he heard the servant’s voice again.

“Sir, the ‘Spear’…”

“What about it, servant?”, Situs replied, making no effort to hide his frustration at the servant.

“I’m sorry sir, but what is happening to the Spear’s bow?”

He turned back to his screen, increased the magnification on the ‘Spear’, and saw it too. The Astartes Battle Barge’s prow was slowly opening. Splitting in two from the center, the massive plough-shape opened, and revealed the Spear’s true power.

“By Asuryan…”, he whispered. “A Nova Cannon…”

“Orders, my Lord?”

Regaining his initial confidence, he continued.

“Bring us in, servant, but keep the holo-fields active. We need the ship hidden. Let the Astartes bring down the Chaos Barge first. Then, we’ll come in.”

The servant confirmed the orders, and adjusted the Craftworld’s heading and speed. Confident, the commander let himself sink into his throne. Then, slowly, he realized it.

The Nova Cannon, the apparently suicidal Chaos Barge, and the planet Pugna behind it. It all became clear to him. He would bet his rank and honor on it. The Traitor Barge had disabled its shields, and probably done everything in its power to make it more vulnerable and, more particularly, less resistant. The Nova Cannon, a weapon with unparalleled power, even by Eldar standards, would shoot clean through the Barge, and would hit Pugna.

He knew what that meant. The Gateway would open.

“NO!”, he screamed. “Servant, divert all power to the engines, but keep the void-shields active. Bring us in between the Spear and the Barge, and do it NOW!”

Not waiting for a reply, he reached out with his mind. Gathering up all his psychic power, more than any farseer on Craftworld Idharae, or any other Eldar that he knew off for that matter, he reached out. Thousands of miles away, a small distance in the void, he reached the Spear. Immediately, he felt dozens of attacks coming his way, trying to drive him out of the ship. Astartes psykers, he knew. Psykers that were now realizing Chaos was not the only enemy present in this system. For now, he was able to keep them at bay. He went straight for the Spear’s bridge, and entered the mind of the helmsman. A second later, and the Cannon would’ve fired. At first, he considered simply stopping the man’s mind from sending the necessary impulses to his index finger, the one that was on the button. Now though, the Astartes psykers were becoming a serious threat to him, and he decided not to. Instead, he burned the man from the inside. That would at least buy Idharae a few minutes, the time it took for someone else to take control over the Spear’s weapon systems. He started retreating with his mind…

…and was nearly killed. An extremely powerful psyker had just attacked him, and blood was oozing from his ears back on the Craftworld. He wondered where this attack had come from.

The Chaos Barge

Another mental stab made him cry out in pain, and he retreated to the Craftworld, back within the psy-shields that protected the Eldar ship and its inhabitants from psychic attacks.

“Lord! Are you all right?”, the servant screamed.

“Are we in position, servant?” he asked, his voice near-silent.

“Yes, my Lord. We are directly in between the Astartes and the Traitors, and our holo-fields have done their job. The enemy is still unaware of our position.”

“The shields…”, he sighed.

“Sensors indicate they are at full power sir. The enemy could bring ten Nova Cannons. We’re safe.”

Seconds before the Nova Cannon fired, the supreme commander of Craftworld Idharae, His Lordship Autarch Kal Situs, died.

Then, so did Craftworld Idharae.

Khatri’Sann’s face turned grim. She didn’t have to look up at the explosions high in the air. She didn’t have to try and reach the Supreme Commander. She didn’t have to doubt.

She knew. Craftworld Idharae was dead, and there was only one thing she could do.

She gathered up the vast army arrayed around her, and entered the Webway.

895.M41

Things had turned for the worse. Somewhere, at some point, something had gone wrong. How, she didn’t know. Had she made a mistake, or had the Arch-Enemy interfered?

It didn’t matter. It was too late to change anything now. The path had been decided, and what would be, would be. There was but one variable.

The Fate of the Eldar of Idharae

The Imperium’s finest had arrived. At last, the noble chapter of the Invaders had descended upon the planets of the Arcotian Sector. War had come to Arcotia, on a scale like never before. The Imperium’s conquest of the system, the Tau campaign, the Ork Waagh…

They seemed like back-alley brawls compared to this. This, was real war, in its purest form. The relentless legions of Chaos versus the combined might of the Imperial Guard, and the Adeptus Astartes.

It was horrible. Both sides were inflicting an enormous toll on the other. Fighting with, respectively, pure rage or ever-lasting courage, both sides fought for every inch of every planet.

And Idharae was right in the middle of it all.

Arcotia Primaris had already fallen to Chaos. So had Secundus and Arcotia IV. Arcotia III was still in Imperial hands, and it was where the Invaders had set up their command center. Therefore, most of the citizens and leaders from Arcotia IV, the Sector’s capital, where fleeing to Arcotia III. Arcotia VI and VIII were Ork-held, with no fighting at all. The Farseer knew it wouldn’t be long before the Greenskin would join the war, eager for a good fight.

Watchpoint, the enormous space-fortress at the Sector’s galactic north, was under siege by the Chaos fleet, and the Farseer knew it wouldn’t last much longer.

Arcotia VII saw some of the fiercest fighting in the Sector. Some Eldar still remained there, failing to evacuate in time. By missing the Farseer’s deadline, they had trapped themselves on the planet, and had signed their death warrant.

Khatri’Sann knew there was nothing she could do for them. She had been forced to close the Webway gates on all planets. She knew some would fall, and she could not allow the Arch-Enemy to gain control of an entrance into the Webway. So she had closed them all.

All, but one. Arcotia IV, the Sector’s capital, and home to Idharae’s main base had been left alone, for now. The Chaos forces, in their arrogance, had decided to keep it for last, she figured.

And yet, this is where Idharae would make its stand. An hour ago, the Invaders had descended upon the capital. Intending not only to purge the system of the forces of Chaos and the Greenskin menace, they had discovered the presence of the Eldar. Of course, they had no clue as to their origin. Still, they were a threat. They were moving towards Khatri’Sann and her forces at this very moment, and Khatri’Sann knew that fully well. Still, she was unsure what to do.

Flee? No. That was no option. Not yet. What else? Fight the Invaders with everything she had, and wipe them from the planet? No. Doing so would cause the Chapter too much damage, and they needed everything they had to defeat the Arch-Enemy.

She made up her mind, gathered a small strike force, and attacked.

---------------------------------------------------

Hello again guys. This is it. The final battle of the Idharae-Loc’s Demise series. No worries, there will be more. For those of you who look at the reports section often, the next battle will be called "Dawn Ending", but, for now, let’s see what happened. I met up with a friend of mine, who had recently stopped playing his eldar, and had started a space marine (ultramarine) army with the new codex. Some of you might know him from the game he played against RRT, and then you will also know that he is not to be underestimated. We had agreed to a 2350 points limit (yeah, I know), and it turned out we would be playing a game of seize ground with 4 objectives, and spearhead deployment.

Forces:

For this game, I decided to simply gather up nearly all painted models I had, leaving only a few units out, and give my small unit of howling banshees a try.

-Farseer: doom, guide, fortune, spirit stones, singing spear, jetbike and runes of warding
-Farseer: doom, fortune, guide, spirit stones
-13 Guardian Jetbikes, including 4 with shuriken cannons, and warlock with singing spear and conceal
-10 dire avengers, including exarch with dual catapults and bladestorm
-Wave Serpent: spirit stones, star engines and twin-linked bright lances
-10 dire avengers, including exarch with dual catapults and bladestorm
-Wave Serpent: spirit stones, star engines and twin-linked bright lances
-5 Pathfinders
-3 Vypers: 2 with starcannon, 1 with scatter laser, all with shuriken cannons
-3 Vypers: 2 with starcannon, 1 with scatter laser, all with shuriken cannons
-5 Howling banshees, including exarch with executioner
-Falcon: Scatter laser, spirit stones, star engines, holo-fields and vectored engines
-Fire Prism: spirit stones, star engines, holo-fields

This gave me a list with some serious firepower, great mobility, and even a little close combat unit to throw at an isolated unit. Also, except for the banshees, I had been practicing with the other units, and this game gave me a chance to use them all at once. In short, I was very fond of this list.

My opponent brought the following:

-Librarian with Force Dome and Avenger
-Chaplain with jump pack
-5 Scouts with sniper rifles
-10 tactical marines, including missile launcher, meltagun and sergeant with power weapon
-Rhino Transport
-10 tactical marines, including missile launcher, meltagun and sergeant with power weapon
-Rhino Transport
-Rhino Transport
-10 tactical marines, including multi-melta, flamer and sergeant with power weapon
-Drop Pod
-9 Assault marines, including flamer and sergeant with power weapon
-A single attack bike with multi-melta
-A single land speeder with heavy flamer
-5 Terminators, including 1 with cyclone missile launcher
-5 Terminators, including 1 with cyclone missile launcher
-Dreadnought with multi-melta and dreadnought close combat weapon
-Predator with autocannon and heavy bolter sponsons
-Predator with autocannon and heavy bolter sponsons

This gave my opponent an impressive 68 marines, and 7 vehicles. Not bad for an elite army like the space marines. The list was quite mobile and had some serious firepower. In addition, the assault squad led by the chaplain, the terminators and the dreadnought added some assaulting potential. Of course, any list can be used badly, but I knew I’d have to be careful this time.

Battlefield and deployment:

Arriving first, I had already set up the board. Again, I had given it a little theme. In the back, I had set up an Eldar Webway gate and some more Wraithbone terrain, representing the Idharae base. In the middle, I placed some hills and a forest, creating an image of the hills and forests hiding the base. Finally, to the front, I’d places some ruined farm-like buildings, and an old mill, representing a countryside village, and I placed a small statue in the center of the village. Also, I placed some fences and low walls between the village and the forests, representing the borders of civilization. When my opponent arrived, he moved some stuff around a little, but the general theme stayed the same.

Before rolling for deployment purposes, we set up the objectives. We didn’t intend to do so initially, but all 4 objectives were placed along a near-straight line through the middle of the board. The first three are clearly visible, and the fourth can be seen on the statue in the village.

Then, we rolled. I won, and gave my opponent the first turn. A good start. My opponent chose the corner with the Wraithbone scenery piece, and started his deployment. Both of his predators hugged his own table edge, placing them in a safe position from my own units. Then, he placed two of his rhinos containing tactical squads, and continued with the dreadnought and another rhino. The vindicator, the land speeder and the attack bike then finished the semi-circular formation, and the assault marines, along with the chaplain, set up behind it. The unit of scouts would infiltrate, the librarian would join the tactical squad in the Drop Pod, and both units of terminators would arrive by deep strike.

This gave me a difficult choice. If I were to deploy, I would have to set up in the bottom right corner, which only contained a small ruin and the mill. Not much cover, I figured, and I realized I had to think about what was still coming. The librarian could arrive anywhere he wanted, and his avenger template would make short work of my jetbike unit. In addition, the terminators could potentially arrive behind my vehicles and pop them with the (now much improved) cyclone missile launchers. At that point, I decided to keep everything in reserves and outflank the pathfinders. Then, my opponent infiltrated his scouts on top of a building in the top right corner.

The deployment finished, and we started the game.
In darkness, a blind man is the best guide. In an age of madness, you should let a madman guide you.

Armies:
Iron Wolves: W/D/L - 0/0/0
Eldar of Idharae: W/D/L - 23/7/6

Last game: Idharae+Eldar vs Tau+Imperial Guard
Result: Win
List of my battle reports: http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=177565.0

Offline Kildash

• Infinity Circuit
Re: Idharae-Loc's Demise: Final
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 02:21:55 PM »
Space Marines: Turn 1 and 2

First of all, the droppod thundered down from the sky, just barely missing the windmill, and hit the ground, blowing its hatches. Everything else simply moved forward as far as possible, and my opponent extended his line over the entire left half of the board, while the droppod had landed to the right. In the second turn, he landed a single unit of terminators there as well, enforcing the village’s defenses. Also, he moved both the droppod’s passengers and the terminators into cover. Finally, every single tank popped its smoke launchers, and both the bike and the land speeder moved fast enough to get a cover save.

Eldar: Turn 2

I didn’t really know what to do at this point. There weren’t really any weak points in my opponent’s line, although the village was probably the way to go. I decided to roll for my reserves first. I had eight units, and received three. Not bad, but the units I got where in fact the ones I could’ve used a little later, namely both vyper units and the falcon, containing the banshees and the second farseer. This made the choice even more difficult. I had only a few choices. Fly up the far right, and engage the terminators. Despite their cover saves, the vypers had the potential to wipe the unit. But that would bring me within range of the tactical squad and, more particularly, the librarian. The librarian itself wasn’t such a problem, since he had been toned down a lot since the last codex, but his psychic hood could be a real problem. I could try to wipe him, and his squad of marines with him, but they had cover, so there was no way the vypers could do it by themselves, and I had to move the falcon on the board first, so I wouldn’t be able to assault with the banshees yet. Another option was to fly straight up the middle. I quickly dismissed that thought. It would mean moving over the hill, and then I’d have to roll seven dangerous terrain test, which I didn’t feel like. Also, it would bring me in range of the entire enemy army, which is about the worst thing you can do with a fragile army like the eldar. The last option was to arrive on the left, and try to break the left flank. It had the attack bike and the land speeder right near the edge, and the dreadnought, two rhinos and the assault squad would be able to reach any units there within two or three turns, but I decided to do so anyway. I could deal with the attack bike, and the other two units could pop the nearby rhinos, which would buy me some time.

The game was on, and I started rolling dice. The falcon immediately dispatched the dangerous attack bike, fearing the deadly multi-melta. The first vyper squad tried to shoot one of the rhinos and scored two penetrating hits, but my opponent made both cover saves. That would mean one of the tactical squads would definitely reach my lines, and I decided to accept that fact. I fired the other squad of vypers on the vindicator’s side instead, and wrecked the siege tank with a single clean hit.

Space Marines: Turn 3

I knew I was in trouble. The enemy would rapidly converge on my units, and I was fairly certain both of my vyper squads would be annihilated. First though, the second unit of terminators arrived. My opponent played a smart game, and realized he didn’t need them to the left. Then, he realized that if he converged most of his units on the left, the right side would be dangerously exposed, and my other reserves would walk all over it. Therefore, he placed the terminators near the central objective, next to the wrecked vindicator. They scattered a few inches north, bringing them right in front of the third rhino, which was capturing the objective.

Then, the attack commenced. Both other rhinos moved in, and deployed their cargo facing my vyper squads. Finally, the land speeder flew over them, and lined up next to the vypers for a good heavy flamer shot.

More to the back, he moved the dreadnought and the assault squad towards my units as well, all the while keeping the predators near the center, with lines of sight to nearly the entire board.

Then, the first tactical squad shot one of my vyper squads. The massive amount of shots, combined with the wave of fire from the land speeder wrecked two vypers, and destroyed the last one’s starcannon. The second tactical squad tried the same to my other vyper squad, and wrecked two vypers as well, though the third remained unharmed. Finally, both predators fired at the falcon, and it ended up shaken and with a disabled pulse laser.

Eldar: Turn 3

Damn. That hurt, although not as hard as I had expected. I rolled for reserves, desperate to get some units on the board and, especially, my jetbikes. Unfortunately, my bikers didn’t show up, and neither did the pathfinders. Both wave serpents and the fire prism however arrived, and I was eager to place them on the board. I decided to reinforce my other units, and continue the push into the left flank. The howling banshees and their farseer jumped out of the falcon  and moved and ran towards the enemy. Although my opponent had done some serious damage to my vypers, he had also come within charge range of the infamous marine-slaughtering ladies. The Falcon then moved north flat out. One of the wave serpents moved flat out behind it, while the other came up where the falcon had been and deployed the dire avengers inside it. Finally, the fire prism moved up as well, and secured a clear firing line to the second squad of tactical marines, which were nicely lined up next to their transport. A focused blast later, only three out of ten marines remained.

The vyper that hadn’t taken any damage moved to the left, and fired sideways at the tree remaining marines, and killed the sergeant, taking the power weapon out of the fight. The other one moved in between the two rhino’s, and tried to shoot one, but failed. The wave serpent then fired at the dreadnought, but failed to do any damage. The dire avengers fired a normal burst of firepower into the land speeder. I knew it wouldn’t be enough to destroy it, but I would need my shooting in the next turn, and all I needed to do was shake the little skimmer, which is exactly what I did. Finally, the howling banshees and the farseer charged into the other tactical squad, but only managed to kill 4, despite the doom psychic power. Two banshees were cut down in return. My opponent decided to try and flee, but I stopped him, although he made his two no retreat-saves.

Finally, both the falcon and the second wave serpent kicked their star engines, and reached cover behind the Wraithbone structure, my opponent’s initial base.

Space Marines: Turn 4

Well, that was nice. Although my opponent’s initial blow had been hard, my counter-push had just crippled two tactical squads. Not bad. My opponent realized he’d have to do something about my advance, and started his turn. The dreadnought moved closer towards the combat between the banshees and the tactical marines, but was still out of assault range, and fired its multi-melta at my fire prism. It scored a penetrating hit, and rolled a double six for damage, exploding my tank in a spectacular fashion. It seemed his luck hadn’t ran out just yet. He moved the unit of terminators near the center towards the left a bit, onto the hill, while the assault squad jumped towards my vyper behind the Webway gate.

They fired their pistols, and immobilized the skimmer. My opponent decided not to charge them in, so we turned to the close combat nearby. My banshees did much better this time, and killed an impressive 5 marines, taking only a single casualty in return. Only the marine sergeant remained, but his nerve broke, and he tried to run. I rolled badly for sweeping advance, and he ran away 4 inches, while I consolidated 6.

Eldar: Turn 4

Okay. Let’s assess the situation here. It was turn 4, so I’d have to start thinking about objectives. What did my opponent have nearby? Two rhinos, two crippled tactical squad, a dreadnought and a massive assault squad. I figured I could ignore the rhinos for a while, just like the tactical. The dreadnought would have to be dealt with, though. Of course, the main priority at this point was the assault squad, since it could kill pretty much anything I had from that position. I rolled for reserves, and was granted my jetbike squad, while the pathfinders still didn’t arrive. I moved the vyper from between the rhinos into cover from the Webway gate, while the dire avengers nearby moved forward a bit, securing a line of sight to the assault squad. My jetbike squad then flew in right between all those units, also getting a line of sight for about half of its models to the assault squad (which is where I had smartly placed my shuriken cannons).

More to the north, I turned the falcon towards the assault squad, and let the nearby wave serpent drop its cargo between 12 and 18 inches of the assault squad(I didn’t measure, but I’m getting really good at guessing these things).

The footslogging farseer left the squad of banshees and engaged the dreadnought, but before it did so, it guided the nearby avengers, and doomed the assault squad. Then, the jetbikes and both units of avengers opened up on the assault squad, though only the one to the north used bladestorm. Their combined firepower caused about fifty saves, and not a single model remained, not even the holy chaplain.

Encouraged by the shooting nearby, the falcon fired at the land speeder in front of it, and the light skimmer exploded. The farseer then charged the dreadnought. Swinging faster than the behemoth with her witchblade, she caused two penetrating hits and… stunned it. Angry at being stabbed by a girl, the dreadnought hit back, and caused a single wound, but I made my invulnerable save. Then, the banshees simply assaulted the nearby rhino, and the exarch wrecked it with her executioner. Finally, my jetbikes used their assault move to move a little closer to the Webway gate, ensuring they’d get over it in the next turn, and be close enough to take the objectives behind it.

Space marines: Turn 5

Things had turned around now, and my opponent realized that fully. Although I still didn’t control any objectives, he knew he’d lost the first one, starting from the left of the board. The second one was still within range, so that was still possible. My opponent still had his third rhino, containing a full tactical squad, on the third objective, and his scouts were close enough to move, run and capture the fourth in the village. Two or three to one seemed good enough for him, and he started his potentially last turn. The terminators moved a little further up the hill, followed by the librarian and his tactical squad, which finally started moving, now that no more reserves would be arriving near them. More to the north, both predators turned towards my dire avengers.

In the countryside village, the second squad of terminators broke from cover, just like the scouts, which secured the objective in the center.

The lone marine sergeant ran further away, since he was still within six inches of my farseer and banshees. Nearby, the two other tactical marines jumped in the remaining rhino, and drove north, making a run for the objective, but not quite making it.

Then, he opened up. Both predators fired through the bushes at my unit of dire avengers, but only managed to kill two in total. The terminators on the hill did better, and fired at the dire avengers near the wave serpent. Their cyclone missile launcher scored two direct hits with the blasts, and 6 aspect warriors died, including my exarch.

Eldar: Turn 5

At last, my pathfinders arrived. I rolled to see at what side, and it seemed that the dice gods favored me again, because they arrived on the right, right in the middle of the village. I moved and ran them towards the objective, but didn’t quite make it, so I charged them into the scouts. I didn’t kill any, and lost one of my own, but the pathfinders didn’t flee, and the objective was contested. Still, if there was a sixth turn, the terminators would charge in and kill them all, so I needed a backup plan to contest that objective. I decided to use the empty falcon, and flew it flat out along the northern board edge, and then kicked its star engines, ensuring that I would be within range to contest. Also, I moved the northern dire avengers back into their wave serpent, moved twelve inches, and then used the star engines to position them onto the third objective that was being held by the tactical squad in the rhino, contesting it as well.

More to the left, the jetbikes flew over the Webway gate, right onto the first objective. I aimed their firepower at the rhino that contained the two marines, but, somehow, I only managed to shake it. The howling banshees then moved up to the lone marine, preparing to charge him, while the vyper moved up near them and tried to stop the rhino as well, but failed.

In the assault phase, my jetbikes used their assault move, bringing them within capturing range of both the first and the second objective.

Nearby, the battle between the farseer and the dread continued (it had for quite a while now), but neither side managed to hurt the other, either missing or failing to wound. We actually got a detailed view of what was happening there. My farseer, agile and fast, was constantly darting around the dreadnought, disappearing and reappearing behind it, and the dreadnought couldn’t get a good hit in because it was so slow and cumbersome. However, the farseer needed to keep focusing on moving that every time she struck the behemoth in front of her, her witchblade simply bounced of off the armour plating. Anyway, the banshees nearby did better, and easily massacred the lone sergeant.

Finally, the wave serpent near the Webway gate shot the rhino containing the two marines, and immobilized it. This ended my turn. I controlled two objectives firmly, while the other two were contested. If it ended now, a major victory would’ve been mine. However, it didn’t, and my opponent started his sixth turn.
In darkness, a blind man is the best guide. In an age of madness, you should let a madman guide you.

Armies:

List of my battle reports: http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=177565.0

Offline Kildash

• Infinity Circuit
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 02:22:17 PM »
Space Marines: Turn 6

Realizing how bad things were looking for him, my opponent started moving. On the central objective, the tactical squad jumped out of its rhino, and fired at my wave serpent, but only blew the bright lance off. The tactical nearby split from the librarian, and moved up as well, but only shook the transport. Meanwhile, the rhino moved through the forest, and placed itself onto the objective behind it, while the two marines jumped out of the nearby rhino and jumped into this one (I realize now that this is illegal, but we looked over it at that point), contesting the objective. The predators then realized what my falcon was doing and fired at it. A single penetrating hit was scored and, despite my cover save and holo-fields, the tank was immobilized. Luckily, I had bothered spending the points for vectored engines. The terminators to the southwest moved off the hill and charged into my farseer, eager to finally finish the annoying psykers. My farseer took 4 wounds, three of which would insta-kill her, but I managed to save them all. The other squad of terminators near the fourth objective charged into my pathfinders, and made short work of them, after they killed two scouts. Finally, both tactical squads near my wave serpent charged in, and the tank exploded, allowing me to place the avengers still within contesting range.

Eldar: Turn 6

Okay. Now, this was a problem. I still controlled the first objective, but the second and third was contested. The fourth was clearly held by the scouts. This meant we were drawn in objectives, so I had to do something. Getting something close enough to contest the fourth objective wasn’t an option. Nothing was close enough. For a minute, I thought my opponent definitely had that objective. Then, I realized that wasn’t true. It was just three scouts. I moved the vyper flat out onto the objective near the center, so that I had two units contesting it. Then, I unleashed a bladestorm on the scouts with the avengers. It killed them easily, clearing that objective from troops.

I decided I didn’t want to finish this game without blowing up one of those thrice-accursed predators, and my falcon didn’t have anything else to do anyway, so I fired the scatter laser at one of the predator’s side armour. I rolled single six for penetration, scoring a penetrating hit, and then rolled another six, blowing the tank sky-high.

First, it should be mentioned that both of my Farseer’s attempted casting two powers. They both attempted to fortune the jetbikes, and then some dooming and guiding happened, but failed. In fact, I had made all of my psychic tests, but that damned librarian and his psychic hood had come within range to block my powers. And no, the psychic hood doesn’t work once per turn anymore. Only a single librarian can attempt to block any one power, but he can block any and all powers that happen within his range in any give turn. Anyway, I circled some of the jetbikes around the rhino containing the two marines. The farseer and the warlock threw their singing spears, wrecking it. Nice. Since I had encircled the tank entirely, the tactical marines couldn’t disembark, not even by emergency disembarking, so they were destroyed.

Finally, the assault phase began. Finally, the farseer managed to slice the dreadnought’s close combat arm clean off, but was then crushed simultaneously by three power fists. Both units consolidated towards my jetbikes. This ended my turn. Again, I had captured two objectives, while my opponent had none. Victory…

Space Marines: Turn 7

… Or not. The dice gods decided we’d be playing yet another turn, and I knew things were looking grim now. My fears were quickly realized, as everything around the central objective turned on the avengers and the vyper, killing both units, while the terminators charged my jetbike squad in the back. My farseer and warlock were too far away to strike, and I lost the entire squadron to the deadly Power Fists. My opponent then consolidated the terminators the full six inches, and spread them so that they would contest both objectives.

Eldar: Turn 7

Okay, now that was unexpected. I had nearly nothing left. An immobilized vyper behind the Webway gate, an immobilized falcon to the north, 4 avengers underneath the Gate’s arc, and a wave serpent nearby. My opponent had ensured that I would be unable to claim any objectives. There was no way I could clear any without moving fast enough to get the avengers on them. In the movement phase, I moved the wave serpent in front of the dire avengers, and let them board. Then, in the shooting phase, I did the only thing I could do. I used my star engines, and moved up next to the central objective.

This ended the game. The first objective was unclaimed, and so was the second and the fourth. The third was contested.

Result: Draw

Aftermath:

Phew, what a game. This was one of the most intense battles I have ever played, and it should be mentioned that it was great fun as well. Not only did we both really enjoy this game, so did the rest of the store, of which about ten people had been watching from turn two. This game shows how you should never stop fighting, never give up. Initially, things were looking really bad for me. Bad reserve rolls, bad locations to bring my units up… Then, around turn 4, things suddenly changed. My opponent’s units started vanishing, and the entire left flank fell. From then on, I thought I had the game in the bag. In fact, I did. I just had no choice but to sit on the objective and continue shooting the terminators, hoping they’d die before they reached me, but they didn’t, and I couldn’t move off of the objectives. Then, in the end, the game suddenly turned around again, and I found myself with almost nothing left. Actually, if there had been an eight turn (I know it’s impossible, but still), I would’ve been wiped entirely, I’m sure. I have to admit, I made quite some mistakes in the beginning. I think it would’ve been a better idea to deploy everything anyway, despite the lack of serious cover and the librarian that would be coming in. Even if he cooked a few jetbikes, He’d have been dead next turn, and I’d have walked over the right side easily. This would result in sort of a mirror image of what happened this time, but then I’d be able to count on the vypers’ firepower to support me. I believe that would’ve made a huge difference. I believe the draw perfectly represents the balance between my own and my opponent’s skill. Yes, I would’ve won on turn 5 or 6, but I really believe that our abilities equal, in a way. As for the man of the match award, I don’t think there’s any real competition here. The prism did good, and so did the dire avengers, but I think the award should go to the Space Marine Terminators. After all, they are the only unit EVER to kill my entire squad of jetbikes in a single turn. People have killed it before, but not in a single phase. And not only did this cause some serious cheering amongst the people that were watching the game (I’ve become the bogeyman, I think. I’ve been winning a lot around there, and people always support the other player. It’s like people cheer for anyone that plays AGAINST Redrivertears ;) ), it also turned the battle into a draw instead of a loss for my opponent.

Men of the match: Space Marine Terminators

-----------------------------

It was over, and she knew it. The Eldar had fought the Marines to a standstill, but now it was over. They were losing massive numbers, and her own life was in danger. They could still hold the line for hours, she knew, but there was no point. She would need every Eldar she had at her disposal, and there was no sense in throwing them away into the meat grinder.

Besides, she had to think about the Invaders as well. Ironically, they were not the enemy here. Allies was the wrong word to describe the relation between the Astartes and the Eldar, for there was none. The Space Marines were tools, she considered. They couldn’t be damaged too much, or they would become useless. Idharae had butchered many of the Astartes, but now they were bringing in the elite. The Elite of the elite. The bearers of Tactical Dreadnought armour. Terminators. Not only were these warriors near-unstoppable without the right weaponry, but they were also the Chapter’s most valuable asset. They could not be harmed, Khatri’Sann knew. The Imperials would still need them in the fight against Chaos. She ordered the retreat, and quickly disengaged from combat.

Lightning-fast, the Eldar strike force moved back into the forest, leaving the noble Space Marines behind.

Fate was cruel she decided. She had here before.

She started the rites of Sealing for the Webway. It would have to be closed. It would be used once more, and never again.

Melancholic, she took a step forward, and vanished…

Light-years away, in an entirely different sector of the Imperium, lay Ogrys, home to a chapter of the Mon-Keigh Emperor’s finest warriors. The rest of the system was empty except for the local star and a few uninhabited moons, each one housing hundreds of defense batteries to protect the system from attack. On Ogrys itself,  hundreds of watch points, super-scopes and scanners were monitoring the void. For years now, they had detected nothing significant. Nothing.

Then, for a split second, they all spotted a blue planet-sized ship, right above the planet.

A split second. Then, a single pinprick of light emerged from the ship, and destroyed the planet.

On Craftworld Alaitoc’s bridge, Veh’Sanith whispered.

“This one’s for you, old friend…”

Armies:

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 02:41:07 PM »
Replying now.. and editing as I get through it... And thanks, as I have been anticipating this one...

Stary started great, and ended better... Very well done BTW...

I pressive army lists.. I think that I would have rather seen a second Fireprism over the Pathfinders (just because it flies).. OK; but both lists look like a lot of fun.. Board set up had a nice feel to it.. Nice tough with the Eldar WebWay in there. Not sure how a Windmill got in there; but hey,.. you use what you have. on to the Fun.

How dare the SM's Castle like that for set-up.. its so much better when their strung out and easy to pick off... He was off to a strong start.. and your reserve deployment gave him freerain to grab contorl of the battle field, so I hope when you come in.. you hit like hammer... or your in trouble.

You did not get that great of an entrance; but without an autarch to push up the chances to gain units... 3/8 is not that bad... You did bag the Atbike, and a Vindicator.. and I find it funny that the Rhino tends to always be the toughest tank in the game... So ended t2 though, with a few SM's gettting zipped up, and not Eldar casulties.. so it was a clean start at least.

Oouch, 4/6 Vypers wasted and some weapons gone too... you did a decent recovery; but that was a hard hit from your opponent... Too bad about the Reserve rolls again; but 6/8 in now is not off the mark.. unfortunate about the order; but not unexpected. At least you crippled him with a nice shot to the knee cap in there... (two Tac squads is a decent return)...

Turn 4, and you lose a skimmer .. could have been worse though, and you were in a position to start applying more pressure... so in come the JB's and start the business at hand (killing mon-kiegh)... "Poof" is how I describe what you did to the Ass-Marines and Chaplin.. and they deserved it, so well done to smoke them... Not only that though, you actually were well set for table control...

t5..What the hell was going on with your Farseer and Dread.. that was funny... the Banshees were still wasting Marines.. that is unbelievable for a such a small squad (well done).. PS... the way you re-positioned to take, contest, or set up for Objectives was excellent BTW.

t6 .. Now this was a contest of stamina.. and you were slowing gaining in some areas.. Nice; but the SM's did have a few tricks left (psy hood is silly but effective sometimes)... anyway, you were maintaining some pressure so well done again..

T7 Marathon game... You got bagged by some good play and probably some decent dice by your opponent.. Good of you to recover to a draw though.. as I thought it was done for sure... You certainly were at a VP deficit though... But most games don't go 7 turns, either and we all know that Eldar are not nearly as tough as SM's...

Anyway, Awesome game, great write up.. great story.. Sad to see it end; but looking forward to the next series... (your gift is in the mail, BTW)... Thanks a lot for sharing...

CaHG
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 03:22:36 PM by moc065 »
Join POC: Saim-Hann
or Read the Guide to Eldar
or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering

Offline Dunedain

• Distance..out of reach...just a hair's breath away
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 03:02:37 PM »
That sounded like a really good game, and i look forward to the next.
We passed upon the stairs. He spoke of was and when. Although i wasn't there, he said i was his friend. which came as a surprise

I spoke into his eyes "I thought you died alone, a long long time ago."

He laughed "Oh no, not me, we never lost control, you're face to face, with the man who sold the world"

Quote from: Warfare;45947
Thank you Captain Politically Correct.
To survive in this world, one must be as mad as a hatter...thankfully, i am

I will kill the pedobears.All of them. Forever

Offline Paraplegic

• Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 03:12:34 PM »
But it's the final one. Now he has to buy a WHOLE another army and write up new fluff cause he went and killed this one off :-\.

I really enjoyed your story series. I normally ignore ALL fluff when checking a batrep but yours were interesting enough that I ignored my Imperium prejudice towards all things xenos and followed your army along.

...you ARE going to come up with a new fluffy eldar army right?

Offline Kildash

• Infinity Circuit
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2009, 03:31:36 PM »
But it's the final one. Now he has to buy a WHOLE another army and write up new fluff cause he went and killed this one off :-\.

I'm sorry, i didn't kill this one off. If you re-read the ending, you'll see that, just like after the Craftworld's destruction, Khatri'Sann took the brunt of her forces (still a few thousands of eldar) with her, and fled into the webway. They'll be back, and sooner than you think.

And it's gonna get REAL interesting now, just trust me.  8)

Armies:

Offline Paraplegic

• Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2009, 04:43:28 PM »
I just noticed you named the planet Pugna, play any dota per chance? ^^

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2009, 07:05:51 AM »
Clan Saim-Lucster was severed from the Saim-Hann Craftworld years ago, as part of their immediate family succumbed to the ways of the Dark Kin and the shame was too much for them... ... Yet Saim-Lucster regained his families honour through the test of battle, and works to re-unit all Saim-Hann families now.. (in fact he is considered one of the Saim-Hann driving forces and might even be the Wild Rider Chief... Although the Craftworld is vertually gone (abandoned for the most part ~~ not quite distroyed)... but several of the Clans are massive and still holding to the Saim-Hann ways... Although they have had to adapt in order to survive better...

I think Kildash did a great job to show a progression out of 3-4th ed and into 5th with his family, and now that he is fully on his own, he will have a lot more freedom to expand his model range..

Nicely done...

CaHG
Join POC: Saim-Hann
or Read the Guide to Eldar
or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering

Offline SMVaughn

• "I am and always shall be your friend." - LN
  • Armies: Space Marines, Dark Angels, Eldar, Chaos Marines
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2009, 07:56:11 AM »
The story had me hooked! I thought I was going to run to a Book shop for a novel!

Great game and amazing strategem.

The "fluff" story was .... addictive.

Offline Droofus

• Ork Boy
  • It is YOU who will suffer greatly!
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2009, 10:42:22 AM »
Very good report! 

Sounds like you both had some good and bad luck (your opponent wrecking your prism, you with your Die-Hard Farseers).  Masterfully played on both sides - a real chess match.

Not sure about Craftworld Altaioc being a fully armed and operational death star though...

I take it Ogrys is the homeworld of the Invaders?
\

Offline Sheepz

• Marshal: The beatings will continue until discipline improves!
  • Ancient
  • Getting away with murder.
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2009, 11:06:00 AM »
Well played. You only ever fought one half of the opponents army, which made me feel that he A: Lacked mobility or B: Forgot about half his units.

That said, he acted well to cover all the bases. I would have probably gone for charging everything at your first wave and leaving myself open. Skillfully played by both sides.

Why did the Craftworld sacrifice itself? I was thinking that Holofields (in the BFG game) would probably be enough to stop the Nova Cannon, but I guess their strength is not in being actual shields, but in confusing the enemies aim. That said, I'm dubious a Nova Cannon could annihilate the Craftworld so easily. They only do D6 points of damage (DON'T MIX FLUFF AND RULES!), so they'd struggle to take out an Eldar Cruiser, presuming it hit, only achieving it 1/6th of the time. A Craftworld would undoubtedly be large and have more damage points than a regular ship of the line, so would one Nova Cannon really do the trick?

Offline Kildash

• Infinity Circuit
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2009, 12:12:42 PM »
Very good report! 

Sounds like you both had some good and bad luck (your opponent wrecking your prism, you with your Die-Hard Farseers).  Masterfully played on both sides - a real chess match.

Not sure about Craftworld Altaioc being a fully armed and operational death star though...

Okay, I'm not sure where you're getting the death-star thing... I just mentioned a local star, and nothing else, because the craftworld was fully hidden by holo-fields and other eldar-stuff.

Ogrys is indeed the homeworld of the Invaders. I mentioned it in, I believe, the 9th or 10th report. Initially, I didn't know GW had a name set for them, but then I was looking at the space map in the new marine codex, and I saw Ogrys: Invaders

Ow, and Sheepz: He didn't forget his units. During turn two and three though, my jetbike unit would still be coming on the board. Therefore, if he moved the terminators and the drop-podded tacticals to the left like you say, his right would've been too exposed, and I'd have walked all over it. He didn't forget. He WAS however frustrated as hell that he couldn't risk moving them out of cover.

So, Ironically, the fact that I rolled so badly for reserves effectively pinned a big part of my enemy's units down.

Ow, and about the Craftworld thing: I see your point, and I've never taken a look at battlefleet gothic. THIS IS AIMED AT ALL INTENSE READERS:

in the previous report, right after the mass-suicide of the chaos fleet, I said that the Craftworld had remained undamaged, right? Or, at least, according to the sensors. I also mentioned again in this report that the SENSORS said the damage shields were up.

In the previous report, I then said:

"For many years after that day, Khatri’Sann would curse the stupidity and idleness of her brethren, and would never trust another sensor…"

This indicates that the shields were in fact disabled by the massive shockwave from the fleet's detonation. In my oppinion, a craftworld has two types of shields:

holo-fields: these hide the craftworld from view, and, if they are spotted anyway, makes it harder to hit them
eldar-style void shields: these are what absorbs the damage when the craftworld takes a head-on hit.

I know that in BFG, they only have a holo-field save or something, but I believe that's for game purposes, since holo-fields sounds more eldar-like, and it's hard to find in-game rules for a ship that has TWO types of shields.

Just my oppinion. Ow, and don't forget Idharae is just a minor craftworld, not like Alaitoc, Biel-Tan, Saim-hann or the others.

And no one ever said every craftworld works in the same way :)

Armies:

Offline Droofus

• Ork Boy
  • It is YOU who will suffer greatly!
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2009, 12:34:49 PM »
Very good report! 

Okay, I'm not sure where you're getting the death-star thing... I just mentioned a local star, and nothing else, because the craftworld was fully hidden by holo-fields and other eldar-stuff.

It was a star wars reference to the giant space station that floats around blowing up planets.   Here's what I'm talking about:

A split second. Then, a single pinprick of light emerged from the ship, and destroyed the planet.

"You may fire when ready!"
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 12:36:04 PM by Droofus »
\

Offline NewHeretic

• Same Heretic, New God | Ork Boy
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2009, 12:58:17 AM »
Such awesome fluff!  Kildash, if you write a book, I'll actually buy it myself instead of convinicing the local librarians to buy it for the library.  :D

That battle was a true test of both of your tactical abilities.  Congratulations to both commanders on your mettle under fire.  :)

And no, the psychic hood doesn’t work once per turn anymore. Only a single librarian can attempt to block any one power, but he can block any and all powers that happen within his range in any give turn.

Psychic Hoods have always worked this way.  Well, since 4th Ed., anyway, they have never been limited in the number of times they may be used during a turn -- just that only a single 'Hood could be used against any particular psychic power.  The only change from the previous Marine codex is the new addition of a limitation on their range.

That first picture of the pop can on the table gave me quite an unpleasant start.  I thought, "Oh, my heavens, no!  With such beautifully painted models in the two armies, how can they stand a pop can proxy for the Drop Pod?  :'(  Then I remembered that it was dropped near the windmill and realized that I had been mistaken.  :D

Again, excellent battle report.  Keep them coming.

NewHeretic
Good advice from Joshua:

Choose you this day
Whom you will serve...
As for me and my house,
We will serve the Lord.

NewHeretic, forum policeman.

Offline Kildash

• Infinity Circuit
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2009, 04:15:31 AM »
Such awesome fluff!  Kildash, if you write a book, I'll actually buy it myself instead of convinicing the local librarians to buy it for the library.  :D

I very much appreciate that, NewHeretic. Books are still a little out of my league, I think. I have been considering writing a shortstory or two though. Still, those are a lot harder, since every story needs a battle, and you actually need to describe every battle in a detailed but still interesting way.

That battle was a true test of both of your tactical abilities.  Congratulations to both commanders on your mettle under fire.  :)

And no, the psychic hood doesn’t work once per turn anymore. Only a single librarian can attempt to block any one power, but he can block any and all powers that happen within his range in any give turn.

Psychic Hoods have always worked this way.  Well, since 4th Ed., anyway, they have never been limited in the number of times they may be used during a turn -- just that only a single 'Hood could be used against any particular psychic power.  The only change from the previous Marine codex is the new addition of a limitation on their range.

Ow... right... I forgot about that, thanks

That first picture of the pop can on the table gave me quite an unpleasant start.  I thought, "Oh, my heavens, no!  With such beautifully painted models in the two armies, how can they stand a pop can proxy for the Drop Pod?  :'(  Then I remembered that it was dropped near the windmill and realized that I had been mistaken.  :D

Yeah... I remember those days, but they're long gone now that the model has come out...  8)

Again, excellent battle report.  Keep them coming.

NewHeretic

Armies: