News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: doubles tourney results  (Read 2256 times)

Offline incredibleskulk

• Ork Boy | KoN Veteran
  • I think, therefore I win
doubles tourney results
« on: August 22, 2010, 07:09:24 PM »
i paired with an eldar player for a doubles tourney Saturday. 1k points per player and sharing a FOC.

eldar:

eldrad and 6 guardians
8 banshees in a wave serpent
4 dark reapers plus exarch and the weapon thats ap3 blast 2 ignores cover
wraithlord

orks:

big mek, KFF, PK, cybork

2x 29 boyz plus nob, PK, bosspole

1x 28 boyz plus nob, PK, bosspole

15 lootas

round 1:

we are facing daemons and imperial fists, all footslogging. its a kill points mission, 1-2 more is a minor, 3-6 is major, 7 is massacre. 

reapers wiped 2 of three marine squads. we ended up piled in the middle in assaults, my orks were taking a beating against 8 marines, 2 princes, 4 terms, and Lysander. they were rerolling saves because of fateweaver. the lootas manage to kill fateweaver and the banshees come in and take out marines and orks finish off 2 DP, terms, lysander, immobilised vindicator. we get a massacre with a score of 9-2.

round 2:

we got tyranids and crimson fists. the guy playing the fists was a poor sport and needed to read the rule book again.

table divided into 6 quadrants, objective in each. deployment is based on rolling a d6 for quadrant for each squad. we got boned in deployment, took a massive beating, but won on objectives 2-1 because of a contesting wave serpent and one boyz squad kept 800 pts of tyranids busy for almost the whole game, and that side still got contested by the wave serpent. minor victory, but lucky because of the rough game.

round 3:

we got eldar and orks, yes it was eldar and orks vs eldar and orks for the championship. before we started we decided to keep the crimson fists and tyranids team from being able to finish in the money. we would wait to report until their table had finished and report based on their results. 1-2 more objectives is a minor, 3-4 a major, and all 5 is a massacre.

orks vs orks was fun as hell. he opted for 4 boyz squads instead of my 3. i stole initiative on them. i ended up getting the charge on the orks and wiped 3 of 4 squads in turn 2, with the help of lootas of course. we ran out of time, but we had them down to 7 boys and eldrad who was going to fall off the table(he was about a 1/4" from the edge). it was our turn and his 7 boys were out in the open in front of my lootas and about 15 of my boys. we would have tabled them, and had a massacre. we called the game a draw because of the agreement to keep the nids/fists from winning.

results:

our orks/eldar take first place, second place goes to the other orks/eldar team. despite the odds and the inability to win a single roll-off we pulled this one out.
The key to victory is the ratio of quantity divided by the ratio of quality multiplied by the points of an army, then times zero, minus how bad you roll dice on average.

Offline Foxfire

• Necron Lord of 40KO | KoN Veteran
  • Ancient
  • The picture is a werewolf
  • Armies: Necrons and Orks
Re: doubles tourney results
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 07:33:23 PM »
Sounds like a great time, though the CF/Tyranid players must have been really nasty if people were uniting against them just to keep them from second place, lol.  Thanks for the batrep.  Always nice to see a team work well together, and to see a bad sport punished.  The other Ork/Eldar team, how much different were they from you guys?  I know that the other Ork player opted for more Boyz rather than Lootas, but I'm curious otherwise.

Offline incredibleskulk

• Ork Boy | KoN Veteran
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 07:51:54 PM »
well the other eldar took two wraithlords instead of one, he did not take dark reapers or banshees, and he also took eldrad with guardians and i believe they were in a wave serpent. it was mostly ork on ork and eldar on eldar. i did kill the two wraithlords in CC, but lost a lot of boyz and took a bunch of 5 or less leadership checks against them and passed them all, they also had some wounds on them already. our eldrad and guardians got beat by his eldrad and guardians, and our banshees came in and wiped his guardians and sent eldrad packing.

we had two boys squads of 4 and 15, all the banshees, the wave serpent, and all the dark reapers left.
The key to victory is the ratio of quantity divided by the ratio of quality multiplied by the points of an army, then times zero, minus how bad you roll dice on average.

Offline Foxfire

• Necron Lord of 40KO | KoN Veteran
  • Ancient
  • The picture is a werewolf
  • Armies: Necrons and Orks
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 08:06:36 PM »
Sounds like a pretty convincing win, sir.  Congratulations on your victory!  Ork on Ork battle is always a plus, though that furious charge does seem to have a big impact on the result (and reasonably so, though I suppose it balances too in that the person with most shooting--you in this case--can afford to sit back, making the more CC-oriented all-boyz horde move within charge range, compensating for his greater numbers).  Good report, and very uplifting results.

Offline AXEBLADE

• Burna Mek
  • Armies: Orks, Eldar, Imperial Guard
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 09:23:00 PM »
by guardians presumably you mean warlocks right?

Offline incredibleskulk

• Ork Boy | KoN Veteran
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 11:13:01 PM »
they were calling them guardians. they had an artillery gun as well, which if im not mistaken comes with a guardian squad standard.

Offline AXEBLADE

• Burna Mek
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2010, 11:20:07 PM »
except that the minimum squad size for guardians is a 10 man squad. Your partner had 6 somehow.

Offline OD from TV

• Ork Warlord | Title of Doom status: pending | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 12:04:18 AM »
hmm, that Guardian thing is a slight problem, my guess is a mistake on minimum squad size.

Anyway congrats on the winnings incredibleskulk!  Eldar and Orks actually do make a fairly good team, they were both creations by the Old Ones after all (well the 2nd and 4th Edition fluff contradicts the Old Ones story, but nevermind that!).  The only thing I don't quite understand about your partner though is why he would take Eldrad or the Guardians in the first place.  Eldrad is way too points heavy for a 1000 point allotment even with a partner, and why bother with guardians when an allied Ork player was going to fill the minimum Troops allotment.

I think a slightly better choice for the Eldar ally would have been to have taken a regular Farseer and attach it to one of your Boyz units.  Imagine 30 Shoota Boyz with Guide assaulting SMurfs or Nids that have been targeted with Doom.  Also the Eldar's speedy Skimmers could have helped plop more Anti Tank into the mix, as well as fill those horribly depressed and empty Fast Attack slots.

Err... this is the Ork forum and I'm thinking/talking way too much about Eldar.  I mean da Panzy pointy heads.

Peace
~OD
Truly beautiful work. That's the kind of stuff that makes a true mekanik cry tears of joy.
OD, you once again prove that your are still the freakin Da Vinci of plasticard

Offline incredibleskulk

• Ork Boy | KoN Veteran
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2010, 12:10:23 AM »
it probably was 10, i was more focused on moving around 90 boyz in a quick and orderly fashion. although i must say they diddnt do much, well except for take a lot of shots off my orks. he had the 5+ cover setup with them and it took quite a bit to kill that squad, keeping more orks on  the board. he did use doom and other powers to our advantage, thats part of the reason my one 30 boyz squad took down about 50 boyz out of 60 in one giant multi assault, the rest were killed by lootas before assaulting.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 12:18:41 AM by incredibleskulk »

Offline AXEBLADE

• Burna Mek
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2010, 08:45:45 AM »
It does specify in the eldar codex that the guide and fortune powers can only be cast on eldar squads. Though doom would be awesome.

I agree with eldrad being to expensive (though I have found him to expensive even in 1500pt games). I think even funnier would be an avatar and 3 wraithlords with swords backed up by a green tide. THat would be a scary thing to see barrelling across the table. (and yes you can easilly do that in 1000pts)

Offline Mr.Peanut (Turtleproof)

• Ride Like Lightning, Crash Like Thunder | Infinity Circuit | Pork Sword of Mod-Justice | Took the basket, nuts and lol | Good grief, ye hennie pennies
  • Ancient
  • Turtleposting At The Speed Of SHift
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Sigmarines, Chaos, Demons
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2010, 05:51:10 PM »
I assumed you meant six squads of Guardians. 

No pictures at all from the tournament?
You are
What you do
When it counts
     -The Masao
"Getting what you want can be dangerous.