News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Annoying in-game habits  (Read 11227 times)

Offline Lorizael

• GW Shill: Infinity Circuit: Synergistic Spotter of Numpties
  • Ancient
Re: Annoying in-game habits
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2009, 07:39:25 AM »
People who walk away from the table during your turn.

Most. annoying. thing. in. the. world.

If you're going to play a game with me then play the game! Walking off to see what other people are doing is just rude.
If people do it I am quite happy to tell them that I've just destroyed their whole army while they were away...

Also, people who are stuck in previous editions of the game. 5th is over a year old, learn it, deal with it. No your skimmer cannot pop up attack, yes I can see through that piece of area terrain, yes I can hold my whole army in reserve and no it does not mean I've lost the game because I have no models on the board...

Gah!!

Offline g00gle5

• Organisers Never Prosper
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • I would.
    • Promethean Games
  • Armies: Grey Knights, Necrons, Dark Eldar
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2009, 08:21:35 AM »
I'm sure the more seasoned tournament players are all too familiar with this, but when your opponent makes you feel bad because you beat him by pulling a rule that they weren't familiar with, and even when they are proved wrong they tick you in the difficult opponent box.

I can not tell you the amount of tournaments I have played in where I have a literally last turn, game changing debate (argument) about a rule because my opponent was unfamiliar with it. In the last few tournaments I've played with my close-combaty Chaos I must've had to explain to at least 4 or 5 people that you ignore the 1" rule for ALL models when charging into close combat so no, you can not string out your Terminators/Obliterators/Plague Marines with a 2" coherency gap to prevent me from assaulting your objective takers as my models can still move through the gaps inbetween your bases.

Yes, one unit can claim multiple objectives.

Yes, a Wave Serpent is just big enough to contest two objectives if you set them up bang on 12" away.

And so forth.

Basically, getting made to feel bad for playing by the rules, definitely the most irritating in-game habit I've come across.

Battle Reports | Wargaming Articles | Shop

Offline Draggo Blacksun

• The never ending crusade will, umm.... Never End!
  • Armies: Black Templar 6000+ pts, Soon SOB 1500 pts
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2009, 08:22:27 AM »
People, by that I mean friends, who won't let you ever forget one incident where you used common sense tactics to avoid losing a dreadnought (i.e. retreating it from a mob of melta bomb armed troops). Constantly asking if the yellow backed Dreadnought is in you army again this battle.

Well, Ive got them back in two ways.... sorta. I've re-painted my dreadnought with a Golden stripe down its back. And In a tournament this Yellow spined dreadnought took out half a sqd of fire dragons, and two wave serpents by its self.

Oh and when you go to play a game of 40k, you want to play the game and not listen to the other player/s argueing about something unrelated. Its really irrateting to have to remind the other guy to finish his turn. As it seems that everything distracts him.
P.S. They still poke fun at it and me, even after that.   ah well such is life.
For Sigismund, Dorn and..... FOR THE EMPEROR!
8th ed record
                                W / D / L
Black Templars         1 / 1  / 3
Sisters of Battle          2 / 0 / 1

Offline Blindmage

• Ork Yoof
  • Armies: The Ripper Horde, Kroot anything, rarely Necrons
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2009, 08:56:35 AM »
i can't see well at all. I'm nearly blind.

for me my opponant scooping up the dice too quick, or rolling way far away from what we're doing is a real piss off. also, 'forgetting' wound allocation. Everytime i need to use the wound allocation rules they're always surprised by how it works and i have to basically read out the rules cause they think i'm cheating or something.

Offline ~Iron Captain Softy~

• The Flesh is Weak!
  • Armies: Ghost Knights
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2009, 11:32:41 AM »
Everyone has pet peeves, and I hold one in particular: Dice rolls in batches. Apparently, I'm not the only one who is annoyed by this, so I'm glad.

Two people I know roll 4 to 5 dice at a time in a shooting or assault phase that has 20 to 30 shots in it, so I have to sit down and record all their hits and misses and whatnot to prove that they're not cheating, then watch them repeat the whole process for the to-wound rolls. What takes almost a minute for them to finish, I finish in a few seconds. Game dragging, extra work for me, and ultimately annoying. Just roll those darn dice all at once! is what I feel like yelling at them every time they do that, and sometimes I do.
They've got us surrounded? That simplifies the problem.
-General Lewis "Chesty" Puller, USMC

Offline Boss_Bannednutz

• FLAMER: I flame therefore I am banned.
  • "Quantity haz a qwality all'ts own"-Warboss Stalin
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2009, 12:23:18 PM »
I'm guilty of walking away in tehir move phase, but only to take pics of otehr games for our club's web site
"Don't Post Dat!  Spam kills!"

If you traveled at the speed of light, there would be no darkness, and thus no need to turn your headlights on in the first place.  I swear, were you asleep in Physics Class?

Offline Rozzie2

« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2009, 02:57:26 PM »
theres a kid in my club whos sometimes quite annoying, he makes his dead people come back to life and prance all over the board, as well as suddingly getting a dreadnought that was never part of the origional force and playing around with it.
last week he was in and out of the game looking at vidoes on youtube.

makes for some great laughs though XD

Offline GaleRazorwind

• Hormagaunt
  • Ziltoid Lives!
  • Armies: Nids, BA, CSM
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2009, 03:28:21 PM »
At my NLGS, I have to deal with a load of immature kids/teens. The store sells all sorts of small toys and puppets and whatnot, including many wind-up toys and stuffed-animal diseases (like AIDS), and they love to fool around with them during a game and put them on the tables.

They can also get distracted easily, even if they haven't left the table. They might start talking to someone during their turn and end up taking way longer than they should. That really pisses me off.

Since I play with armies that can get a lot of attacks in CC (often about 30-40, but up to 120 at times), I tend to roll my dice in batches, but I still roll a reasonable amount at a time. I usually roll 15-20 at once, and I prefer to immediately roll to wound with the dice that hit before moving to the next batch. This can potentially save time as my opponent can take saves to see if he is wiped out before I have to roll more dice.
Ziltoid is so omniscient, if there were to be two omnisciences, he would be both!

Offline Fugitive

• Major, Best Painted Sentinel
  • Tuseday is soylent green day.
    • my portfolio
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2009, 04:04:53 PM »
stuffed-animal diseases (like AIDS)

Wait what!? :o ???

I survived the "CoC Crackdown".

Offline GeneticDaemon

« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2009, 05:29:53 PM »
@ Fugitive:
I think he means the plush microbes. I know they're on ThinkGeek. They have many STIs and things like the flu, common cold, etc. Pretty funny (when you're in life sciences like me anyways :P)

On-topic:

Borrowing or "borrowing" of templates. During a friendly tourney of 16 players IIRC, I think 4 had NO blast/flame templates. And 2 guys were constantly borrowing my flame template. During the last (fourth) match, someone took my flame template. Without asking. Once the game was over, he hadn't brought it back. Had to ask everyone TWICE who took it, before he took it back and said "well, you said I could have it". I had told him that he could use it ONCE, during the first match of the day, when he was on the table just beside mine... Yeah...

And at the same tourney... one guy who explained to me ALL that he did. And why he did it. Example: "I'm moving my stormtroopers to flank your banshees/warp spiders." Half the time, they were bad tactics, or just exceedingly obvious.

Offline Amaya

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2009, 06:07:17 PM »
I have a friend who plays Dark Eldar but doesn't know his own codex.

Having to go back and correct someone is very annoying.

I knew another guy who will roll one dice at a time when taking saves...even for regular troops.  It's blatant cheating because you can tell he's trying to roll the dice to get a passing save. :P

Offline Raktra (So long, I guess)

• Skarboy | Ripper | Princess of Baal
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Armies: Grey Knights
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2009, 06:16:16 PM »
It's such a bad thing when someone wants to pass their save isn't it...  ::)

The thing I've found annoying is the (often verbally expressed) idea of "I have unit X, you suck so much my unit's beslubbering ywh-condemned awesome bahahaha....". We have a uy here, mid twenties, here who does this with every army. Example, playing against a beginner kid (who's 1500 SM army had about 16 models in it); "Ha, your Vanguard must be crap, I've got Gaunts with (proceeds to list all the upgraded stats)". Yes, well bloody done, you've taken an overpriced unit and made a 10 year old feel like amphetamine parrot. Shame you won't play a veteran.

Offline Big Bad Wolf

• nomnomnomnom
  • Armies: Space Wolves, Eldar, Dark Angels, Daemons
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2009, 06:25:43 PM »
The one that always gets my goat is when people roll scatter dice 3' away from where the template/drop pod is actually hitting, causing this ridiculous game of trying to figure out what direction the arrow is pointing at in relation to the template/pod.
Sunrise Village Games Workshop ~ Puyallup, WA
Home of the SunrisV Gaming Club
"Forever on the Dawn of War!"

Rule #2 - Double Tap

Offline Lazarus

• Infinity Circuit - The Voice of Reason
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Space Wolves & Imperial Guard
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2009, 06:49:53 PM »
The one that always gets my goat is when people roll scatter dice 3' away from where the template/drop pod is actually hitting, causing this ridiculous game of trying to figure out what direction the arrow is pointing at in relation to the template/pod.

Yep. It's funny to watch that tape measuer magically move 50-90 degrees off of the nagle the scatter shows by the time they get it accross the board. Irritating things is, I'll always mention it's better off to roll the die near the blast to avoid that and they do it anyways. If it comes up as a scatter they might "remember" and re-roll it near the blast anyways (lol).
"If someone used the ridiculous cover saves rule on me I'd probably punch him in the face. If he's still standing he would be entitled to punch me in the face, take my army, and my woman if he can. This is known as the Conan rule of play, and is not forbidden in the core rules and encourages serious amounts of sportsmanship." - Carniflex

Offline Lorizael

• GW Shill: Infinity Circuit: Synergistic Spotter of Numpties
  • Ancient
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2009, 07:47:30 PM »
Yes! I always have to tell people to roll their scatter dice as close as possible to the blast marker, deepstriker etc. Some times the scatter direction can change sooo much while travelling across the board.

Rolling in batches doesn't bother me and will encourage an opponent to do so if they run out of dice or need to roll 50 at once (though rolling buckets of dice is always fun...).
Rolling in batches of 5 would be annoying though.
Never bothered with writing it all down though- just remember it as it's going.

Offline Sayt

• The Devil you think you know.
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2009, 07:52:35 PM »
Yes! I always have to tell people to roll their scatter dice as close as possible to the blast marker, deepstriker etc. Some times the scatter direction can change sooo much while travelling across the board.

This!  There's this guy at the LGW who almost refuses to roll his scatter dice on the same tablequarter as whatr's scattering @.@

Offline Ail-Shan

• The vehement supporter of Swooping Hawks.
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2009, 08:03:42 PM »
At my new LGS there's a small group of 8th graders who come every Saturday. Apparently they've been told they had to go in the basement (there are more tables down there, not a dungeon) because their poor rules lawyering was bad for business. They tend to shout, argue, etc. over the course of their game, usually about seemingly obvious stuff.

No your rune priest doesn't get their 5+ against psychic powers against potw. Yes you have to test for wraithsight without a psyker within 6". Yes pathfinders have a 2+ cover save in 4+ cover. Many of these are played wrong anyway.

When doing a game with them I was secretly asked by one of my friends to kill him as he couldn't stand it. I managed to get half a 2500 point game before they could get a 2k game set up (they follow wysiwyg to the letter, for who knows why. Apparently a wolf guard can't sub as a wolf lord).

I suppose that's a second thing I'm against is wysiwyg. Since money is not quite what I have by the train load at the moment I'm still proxying half my army if not more, and so long as you differentiate what everything is in a noticeable way, I really don't care if you're using sisters of battle models for tau, or tyranids for chaos marines.
You have your way, and I have mine.

Offline Fafnir

• Ork Boy
  • tied and gagged in the back of your car
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2009, 08:05:36 PM »
As much as I agree about the scatter thing, I absolutely hate stray dice hitting my models, so I do like to keep some distance. Not half a table away, but far away enough that I won't peg my Grand Master in the head.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 08:06:48 PM by Fafnir »

Offline Big Bad Wolf

• nomnomnomnom
  • Armies: Space Wolves, Eldar, Dark Angels, Daemons
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2009, 08:07:36 PM »
As a side note to the pain that is batch rollers ( I have a few in my gaming group), I have found the easiest way for me to alleviate the aggravation is to keep track of the hits and wounds using my dice, keeping a few separate with the number of hits/wounds showing on the face of my dice (so if in the first batch they hit 5 times, I turn one die 5 up, second batch 3 hits, I add one die with 3 up etc...).
Sunrise Village Games Workshop ~ Puyallup, WA
Home of the SunrisV Gaming Club
"Forever on the Dawn of War!"

Rule #2 - Double Tap

Offline Mr.Peanut (Turtleproof)

• Ride Like Lightning, Crash Like Thunder | Infinity Circuit | Pork Sword of Mod-Justice | Took the basket, nuts and lol | Good grief, ye hennie pennies
  • Ancient
  • Turtleposting At The Speed Of SHift
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Sigmarines, Chaos, Demons
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2009, 08:36:47 PM »
I'll tell you the most annoying in-game habit.  I take at least 20 minutes for each turn.  At least.

I made a Deathwing army because it had the fewest number of models possible at the time, and later a Daemons army because there are fewer choices to make.
You are
What you do
When it counts
     -The Masao
"Getting what you want can be dangerous.