News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Your 40K pet peeve?  (Read 43568 times)

Offline Andro Ist Keine Schwedischen

• Da Biggest; His Fluffiness; Warboss
  • Lazerous Penguin
Re: Your 40K pet peeve?
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2007, 04:07:30 PM »
Personally I hate highlighting.  Real pain in the rear sometimes.
You're probably doing it wrong... ;D

No, I'm doing it right.  I just don't enjoy doing it.

~Andromidius
aka. Boris the Bear

Offline mr_mich

• I make it rain
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2007, 04:24:37 PM »
It was a joke...if it's a pain in your rear then you might want to try painting some other way. :)

Offline myles

• Lazerous Penguin
  • This is my game face
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2007, 04:32:34 PM »
I hate it when I'm pressured into letting people break the rules because they are rules that are just a little bit too minor to make a fuss over. Otherwise I somehow turn into this guy:
1 hour games that take 3 hours. I'm sure everyone knows the kind of players that extend games in this manner by arguing everything but the bloody color of the sky...
And suddenly I'm the bad guy! WTF is that? Just 'cause I actually know and play by all the rules instead of just some of them... >:(

The one rule that I see get ignored more than anything else is that you can't move through friendly models. Argh! Drives me nuts!
The first problem is the creation of meaningless e-personas. Such personas are undesirable because they lead users to prejudge a post and its content based on their impressions of the author. One is predisposed to criticize a perfectly legitimate comment or praise a stupid one simply because of preconceived notions about who wrote it. Anonymous posting avoids this situation by removing identity from the post, making any praise or criticism directed solely at the content.

Offline KINSMAN

• Infinity Circuit
  • Death is old and slow, she will not catch me
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2007, 04:42:32 PM »
older players who look down on you because your 'too young' (im 12)

i have no problem with unpainted armies, as long as i see progress (my armies almost grey but i try to paint a few models a week...)
KINSMAN, the verbal punchbag

Everytime a noob says eldar are like legolas with a gun a little bit of me dies

see telemnar for a great banner/avatar

Offline jebus-san

• Let them hate so long as they fear.
    • save the internet
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2007, 05:14:41 PM »
i'd have to say my biggest pet peeve is people who play powergamer armys. And quiters. I had a friend spend all this time talking up his new nid army. it was a genestealer army. his first 3 games where against tau. he got his but handed to him so he quit nids and sold his army. now he plays a super cheese chaos army.
Save the Internet!!! go to Save the Internet | Join the fight for Internet Freedom | Free Press to see whats going on

Offline Benandorf

• Waaargh! Orkz Ruinz me Life!
  • Why so heretical?
    • Texas ...TeamPlayers...
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2007, 05:24:02 PM »
People who check LoS or measure before they declare a target.  I usually call them on measuring, but the LoS bit is so rampant around here I've just given up.  And GW's LoS rules piss me off too.  Yeah, you gotta know the size of your model, but then you actually look to see if you can see the model, and then check the size, and then...  It's overly complicated and makes conversions either have a massive advantage or disadvantage.

Also, the nudgers get on my nerves.
Quote from: Yuenglingdragon
When life gives you anything, charge it with Genestealers.
Alarm clock? Genestealers.
Your boss? Genestealers.
The rednecks that cut in front of me at Wal-mart like I didn't have anything better to do than stand in line? Genestealers.

Quote from: unknown
Asking for advice on using VC to beat O&G is like saying "I'm 6'3", work out, and consider myself pretty tough.  Can anyone give me advice on how to beat up the handicapped kid down the street?"

Offline Czar

« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2007, 05:48:59 PM »
I forgot to say something that REALLY gets my goat;

WYSIWYG.

To a certain extent it's fine. Claiming that a marine has a powerfist and plasma pistol when he clearly has a chainsword and bolt pistol is fair enough and that's where the rule should apply, but for every bit of wargear? Sorry, but no. I sometimes don't want to stick superfluous crap on my models to make them fit in with a rule. What if I want a squad to have grenades one game, but then not the next? Does GW honestly expect me to buy two squads and put grenades on one but not on the other? And how the hell am I supposed to model something like a shadow field without obscuring my paint job?

WYSIWYG is a terrible and poorly conceived money rule as it stands now, and is something that should be left completely up to the players. If they both agree on something, then let it stand. If everything is declared before the battle then no one should complain.

Offline Gwaihir

• Infinity Circuit
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2007, 05:49:40 PM »
Got another one to add.  This comes after reading numerous rules debates around here.

RAW.

That has got to be one of the most ridiculous ideas that GW has ever promulgated.  We are told to follow to the letter what a ruleset that conflicts with itself, was written by people who didn't consider how various rules would interact, who did not carefully consider the various implications the particular verbiage which was chosen, failed to effectively edit says.  Rather than promoting consensus agreement, they throw the door wide open for people who like to sit around memorizing rules and finding obscure and idotic ways of applying them, to ferret out some pet advantage that suits them, or block headed application that makes no sense.  Never mind that if player A can find a riduculous way of applying RAW to his advantage, player B can find an even more ridiculous application.

Read the story behind custom titles and tell us about yours.

"You cannot win tommorow, for you do not know why we fight today."  --Farseer Fa'alorath, Craftworld Fa'alnor-The Fate Weavers.

Offline myles

• Lazerous Penguin
  • This is my game face
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2007, 06:24:33 PM »
Got another one to add.  This comes after reading numerous rules debates around here.

RAW.

That has got to be one of the most ridiculous ideas that GW has ever promulgated.  We are told to follow to the letter what a ruleset that conflicts with itself, was written by people who didn't consider how various rules would interact, who did not carefully consider the various implications the particular verbiage which was chosen, failed to effectively edit says.  Rather than promoting consensus agreement, they throw the door wide open for people who like to sit around memorizing rules and finding obscure and idotic ways of applying them, to ferret out some pet advantage that suits them, or block headed application that makes no sense.  Never mind that if player A can find a riduculous way of applying RAW to his advantage, player B can find an even more ridiculous application.

Well, as a person who likes RAW debates, I feel like I should speak up. Gotta defend by beloved R&Q board after all. ;)

I highly enjoy debating RAW and discussing exactly how rules should interact with each other, as I find that kind of wordplay to be a lot of fun. However, most of these discussions aren't really meant to be applied to playing the game. I do think that talking about RAW is good for understanding the game better, but I don't think that people even mean to use the most grievous RAW applications in actual games. Like that thread I started about skimmers moving over friendly models, obviously in any game I play I'm going to allow it, and I'm going to expect to be allowed to do it. Or even crazier stuff like res orbs helping enemy necrons... I mean, obviously no one expects to go with RAW off of that, and the people that do aren't the kind of people you would play more than once anyway.

Basically, while it's obnoxious to stop a game many times to extract every ounce of advantage from strict RAW interpretations, I see nothing wrong with leisurely talking about it in a non-game situation. (Like the R&Q board :))
« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 06:26:19 PM by myles »
The first problem is the creation of meaningless e-personas. Such personas are undesirable because they lead users to prejudge a post and its content based on their impressions of the author. One is predisposed to criticize a perfectly legitimate comment or praise a stupid one simply because of preconceived notions about who wrote it. Anonymous posting avoids this situation by removing identity from the post, making any praise or criticism directed solely at the content.

Offline Galderon

• Infinity Circuit
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2007, 10:09:02 PM »
I forgot to say something that REALLY gets my goat;

WYSIWYG.

To a certain extent it's fine. Claiming that a marine has a powerfist and plasma pistol when he clearly has a chainsword and bolt pistol is fair enough and that's where the rule should apply, but for every bit of wargear? Sorry, but no. I sometimes don't want to stick superfluous crap on my models to make them fit in with a rule. What if I want a squad to have grenades one game, but then not the next? Does GW honestly expect me to buy two squads and put grenades on one but not on the other? And how the hell am I supposed to model something like a shadow field without obscuring my paint job?

WYSIWYG is a terrible and poorly conceived money rule as it stands now, and is something that should be left completely up to the players. If they both agree on something, then let it stand. If everything is declared before the battle then no one should complain.

I agree, I hate WYSIWYG nazis, for eg, a lot of the time you model a weapon eg Star cannons on a Falcon or Heavy Boltas on a Predator cos you like the look (and they are permantly fixed to the model) but play them as Scatter Laser or Plasma Cannon on ocassions and the WYSIWYG nazis start screeming.
And I hate hate HATE!!!! people why cry cheese simply based on the army. I really wanna slap those guys.
I love the sound of squealing marines in the morning. I justifies my Wraith Lord.

Offline comradeDa

• Dracon
  • That's right. I have no nose.
    • EAC PRD
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2007, 10:10:38 PM »
Talos being T7, compared to Wraithlord's T8. (sorry about the stats posting.
-=[Sybarite]=-
Sure, I'm a dracon. Shh... I like Sybarite, 'cos it sounds cooler.
My stories and stuff:
The Other Side
Operation Black Hand

My webcomic:
Evil Atheist Conspiracy Public Relations Department

Offline Bumbles

• I supported No'Akei and all I got was this silly title
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2007, 10:19:08 PM »
And I hate hate HATE!!!! people why cry cheese simply based on the army. I really wanna slap those guys.
That boils my goat as well, I play a DE army and people scream cheese at the drop of a Dark Lance (namely the fact that Squaddies can carry the most powerful weapon in my army par example).

Offline SlaveOne

• He's no good to me dead
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2007, 10:49:04 PM »
I just hate when people pick up you miniatures without asking.

I know this can sound a bit pre-madonna, and i am no great painter by any stretch of the imagination. However it really pisses me off when im pulling out my models for a battle and the this pimple face, unbathed, nerd with greasy hair picks up my models, and not off the table mind you but right out of the foam tray! And ask "what is this, your Farseer?" as he is clearly holding Jain-Zar!  ???

...Man if Quentin Tarantino could only capture the many violent scenes taking place in head at that moment, he would have enough footage to redo Kill Bill 2.  >:(

This just happend last night as im still very emotional ;)
Dear Developers,

Please nerf rock, it is too powerful. Paper is just fine.

Thx,
Scissors

Offline BFTrick

« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2007, 11:30:42 PM »
I just hate when people pick up you miniatures without asking.

i agree.  It isnt so much that they ask, just that when they pick them up that they respect them and treat them with care.

And i dont hate the little kids, after all, we all at some point used to be one.  And besides they tell me my models look good.   ;)

Offline Xodiac

• Infinity Circuit
  • For there is nothing new under the sun
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2007, 12:26:09 AM »
I agree with plenty of what's said so far: 7" movers, unpainted armies, model touchers, RAW rules abusers, GW employees (often these last two are one and the same) and plenty more.

One I want to add is mid-game quitters. Now I'm not talking about someone who on turn 5 because time has gone long and you've got to wrap up agrees he's lost. But players who on turn 3 decide they can't win and start packing up. I had a guy do this and I managed to convince him to play on, by turn 5 it was almost even and I only just beat him in the end. Turned out to be a good game, but it almost wasn't. I hate people who spit the dummy when they're losing.
What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun.                      -Ecclesiastes 1:9

Offline Le Cruel

• Warrior
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2007, 02:12:41 AM »
I'm one without properly painted armies, simply because I haven't had the time TO paint them.

My peeve has to be people who think I'm cheating when using combat drugs.  I have a dark eldar player and another person who knows the drugs rules watching me, and I let them read my codex, and they STILL say I'm cheating!!!  Sorry, by that stage they say that Dark Eldar are broken (which they slightly are) and that it's not fair that I put all my units behind buildings  ??? .

Oh well, sunday I have a DE vs DE battle....at least I won't get called a cheat.
Archon Tirkhazair of the Kabal of Cruel Hope:  Monolith killer.
Dracon Miatake of the Kabal of Cruel Hope:  Serial Dreadnaught destroyer.

Offline Grand Master Rex Nihilo

• Victory is one part planning and nine parts Faith
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2007, 03:04:06 AM »
I have a problem with people who quit a game too. I have taken a beating at times, it happens but it also happens that you come back and overcome the initial setback and WIN those are the most satisfying. Quitters will never know.

But I would like to mention another PET PEEVE that has not been mentioned yet and that is the rules set as a whole. i.e. The rules allow a unit in cover with a good field of fire to be charged by a fast unit in some cases 30" with out getting a shot off! Maybe I am a gaming purist having played MANY strategy wargames over the last 4 decades but this is a bit ridiculous. I understand simple rules make for fun and relatively quick games but to over simplify them causes problems too.

Rob

7000 points of Grey Knights
6000 points of Fire Drakes Space Marines

Offline nurgle5

« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2007, 05:24:53 AM »
i play WYSIWYG as it stops cheating, and i hate people using flamers as meltas, grrrr....
i won't spend hours arguing about rules, but i will ask to see a rule if I'm unsure.
(i know I'm going to get a beating now) i refuse to let terminators charge after firing a heavy weapon, the local GW staff back me up, as do everyone bar SM players.

Offline Midnight Walker

• Mad skillz. I has them.
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2007, 05:45:52 AM »
I agree with a lot of what's been said. Unpainted armies, grabbing my models, etc. Can't stand it.

MEQ hate pisses me off a lot. I play chaos, amongst others, and I enjoy them. I also play against a LOT of MEQ armies. But I don't mind. Sure, it's probably more fun to play against different armies, but hey, a game's a game, and I won't deny someone a game just because they happen to like marines. It seems to boil down to nothing more than elitism, and it's really stupid. ("I play Eldar, they require skill and thought, not like your damn fool marines. A monkey could win with them.") In a similar vein, Eldar seem to be becoming the new Marines at my local GW. So I wonder if this will last much longer...

Something else is the sheer anality of some players. I'm all for a good bit of rules debate - hell, I love the R&Q board. But not, for the love of Gork, when I'm playing a game! I'm there to play, not argue over every little finnicky thing. If I'm in a game and a dispute pops up, I'll just D6 for it if it can't be resolved within <1 minute, and then sort it at the end of the game.

Oh, and don't get me started on people who butt into games with 'advice'...
Last match: Draw! Dwarfs vs. Vampire Counts

Offline nurgle5

« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2007, 05:49:35 AM »
the only MEQs i hate are the one s who hide for the entire game.
i play DG(for some reason i outnumber everyone i play bar IG/Orks/'nids) i swamp my opponent with squads in CC. i leave one squad behind at max. i just can't stand SM who hide.