News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: GW not doing so well?  (Read 10757 times)

Offline Farceseer Syranaul

• Infinity Circuit
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The Redux Dentist
  • Armies: The Buanneth Fhirin
Re: GW not doing so well?
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2007, 01:27:37 PM »
Besides, a game of DoW is nothing compared to true tabletop action.

At least for me, I play Eldar, and the Eldar fo DoW are nothing at all like the tabletop Eldar. They are terribly done in DoW.

I fully agree with Roy's opinion on this.  Eldar were an after thought, and it shows.

I played the first Dawn of War game, and I wasn't that impressed.  Sure it looked cool, and it was different with it's squad based units.  However, the game's AI was way off.  I would send an army to their doom only to find out that 1/3rd of it is bouncing off of the terrain because they are to stupid to let one thing pass.  If the AI has been improved I would like to know.  I might just give it another chance.
"Simple Changes, and Small Additions"
"It is easier to add something than to remove something."

Quote from: Starrakatt, LolDeer of Doom
So, maybe I'm being dense here

Offline Naikee

• Wych
  • Dear, dear..
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2007, 01:48:25 PM »
i find DOW a completely different expierience than the goo ol table top game...both are fun ...but i think alot more whil playing on the board than on the computer...on the game it basically who has the biggest and best army in the time given...on the board it requirs though...then there is the whole painting and modelling side...

i find starting a new army is now harder than ever with the price of the rulebook basic units and codexes being so high...i feel GW might have to find a new angle at bringing in new gamers to the hobby

"Death is my meat, terror my wine."

Current w/d/l with my Slaanesh HOC: 3/1/0
last game against vampire counts 2500

Offline Aron Figaro

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2007, 02:04:35 PM »
DoW Eldar were indeed an afterthought, but that seems to match the current state of tabletop Eldar. The codex feels extremely unfinished, and still too lacking in fluff and completeness for what you're paying for it.

As for GW hiding profits...yeah, it'll hide some profits, but there's no profit to hide when your overseas divisions are losing money. Trust me, paying taxes is a much more pleasant fate than having your investors think you're going under. :p
Sorry if I'm not sugar-coating your codex enough. Tier lists are tier lists. Argue and whine, or put your quarter up. I'm here to play.

Offline Nurble

• "For the Emperor"
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2007, 03:31:08 PM »
 :o  :o  :o

Looking at all the boards i feel sick to my stomach! I cant believe this! What does this mean for GW future? Will there still be a GW in years to come? Will the hobby still exist, or is this a low point not threatening there existance? This does not mean the end of GW, does it?

People who buy there GW models from ebay and not GW stores are contributing to this low in GW stocks. maybe if more people buy from the actual stores rather than ebay there could be more of a gain. And letd not to mention the amout of good it would do GW if they would just ditch LOTR now.

Can any one answer my question its realy worring me.
"Strength-Determination-Mercyless-Forever"

Offline Chuckles, The Space Marine Clown

• Can't Touch This; Captain; Swarmlord - Tyranid Sweatshop Operator; 40KO's Official WMD; "No American orphans, please"
  • Ancient
  • I kill, maim and torture because I care
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2007, 03:40:43 PM »
People who buy from eBay are typically people on a budget. Blaming them for the fall in GW ignores a basic principle of the market: firms exist to serve the people, people don't exist to keep a firm in existence. If GW can't react to public demand they'll go under. Simple as
The forum rules are fair and just. *twitch*

Offline [-Nero-]

« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2007, 03:49:29 PM »
I was going to say much the same. I'll still go through with it.

That is the nature of competition (if you want to call them that). They keep prices reasonable by competing for customers. Problem is, GW ignores it. They don't work on a level playing field. They still make money off of 40k being sold from most sources (if not all). And GW is still shopped at besides the price differences.

If it was that big of a deal, they would at least start thinking about dropping prices. I would expect lower prices and some advertising if they saw they were going down.

Offline tryanotherone - smurfernating

• SPAMMER: I swear I am not an ad-bot!
  • Pray hard - life is short!
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2007, 04:17:10 PM »
Does anybody know where GW produces their products? It can´t be in China or somewhere over there. Prices would be much lower then. That could be a reason why others tabletop firms are less expensive product wise.
I mean, they all do them same thing, right? Develop a tabletop game, minis rules and the like. There must a reason why GW products cost so much.
Taking a very long break.

The Rumour Mill - bending the fabric of time and space

Remember Brimstone - legends live forever

Offline Chuckles, The Space Marine Clown

• Can't Touch This; Captain; Swarmlord - Tyranid Sweatshop Operator; 40KO's Official WMD; "No American orphans, please"
  • Ancient
  • I kill, maim and torture because I care
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2007, 04:18:20 PM »
I think it happens in England, but don't quote me on that. I could easily be wrong
The forum rules are fair and just. *twitch*

Offline Kitsune Tsuki

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2007, 04:27:09 PM »
I think it happens in England, but don't quote me on that. I could easily be wrong
I think your right.  I'm pretty sure that GW hasn't outsourced the model making part to china yet.  I think books and such are though.  You could probably find the answer on a book of troops.

EDIT:  I have a box that says 'Assembled in the USA" on it.  I think that mold all models in the USA or England for the most part.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 04:30:07 PM by Kitsune Tsuki »

Offline tryanotherone - smurfernating

• SPAMMER: I swear I am not an ad-bot!
  • Pray hard - life is short!
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2007, 04:31:03 PM »
It wouldn´t be around London, now would it? I read somewhere living there is quite expensive.
Taking a very long break.

The Rumour Mill - bending the fabric of time and space

Remember Brimstone - legends live forever

Offline Felix Faustus

• Failed Anti-Mod Revolutionary
  • 1 part idiocy; 2 parts irony; 3 parts lobstrosity
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2007, 05:06:19 PM »
I heard that the factories were in Brimingham somewhere near HQ.
If you can stage the conditions right, creating a chaos god of biscuits could be quite possible.

Offline Nurble

• "For the Emperor"
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2007, 06:17:08 PM »
...But does all this mean that Warhammer is not going to exist any more? If they go under so does the hobby? is this the end of GW? or just a little low?
"Strength-Determination-Mercyless-Forever"

Offline HolyFuel

• Bearer of His Holy Hatred
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2007, 06:20:13 PM »
If GW goes under, some other company will buy the rights to 40k.  It may change, but the concept is worth too much for it to just go away.
"Carry the Emperor's Will as your torch; with it destroy the shadows."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Let Hatred fill you.  Hate is good, for our goal is a Human galaxy.  We are called by the Emperor with a sacred duty to conquer it in His name."

Offline FarseerUshanti

« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2007, 06:32:42 PM »
The question I have is what was the profit margain over the years on a year by year basis since aorund 1990 or so. I would really like to find out if this was a normal type year for GW before becoming a public company, or if profits are lower than before LotR. If profits are similar when factoring inflation from the 1990's then there isn't much to worry about. If profits have decreased since even then I might be a bit worried
War is politics by another means but I perosnally just enjoy blowing the crap out of my enemy.

The idea of war isn't to die for your country, but to make the other guy die for thiers

Offline .:Darkness:.

• Zombie Jesus is notoriously hard to put down.
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2007, 05:09:05 AM »
Ebay isnt a problem. Think about it, where do the sellers get there stocks from? GW.

If anything ebay is helping alittlebit, if people cant afford minis straight from GW they can buy them from ebay for less. GW still sees the money. If those people cant afford GW and theres no ebay then half of those people wouldnt buy warhammer all together.
“Why did I have to get the imperial guardsmen, you don’t even have any good weapons or features”
“I do so” I said defensively. “I’ve got my lasgun and my trusty bayonet”
“What a gun that will give the other contestants cancer in ten years, or at worst will make them squint. Then you have a blade that’s more suited to opening cans and to top it all off, your covered in cardboard for armour.”

Offline The Reborn

• I'm being out-gunned by a darn Carnifex....
  • Armies: Eldar, Harlequins.
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2007, 05:27:40 AM »
BUT, they themselves then said they know what's wrong, "bad habits etc" and that they're fixing them atm, and more effore and time will be going into |WHFB and 40k again.

In other words, more price rises folks. :-\  The traditional method for GW to pick themselves up out of the poo is to increase prices.  They do this like other companies axe jobs...

I heard that the factories were in Brimingham somewhere near HQ

I live around 8 miles from Birmingham, GW HQ is a good 50 miles from me....if the factories are in Brum and near HQ, then they are bloody large factories mate!!  I think they do a lot of their stuff in Nottingham.

Does anybody know where GW produces their products? It can´t be in China or somewhere over there. Prices would be much lower then. That could be a reason why others tabletop firms are less expensive product wise.

Don't tell me you honestly believe that?  The prices would not change, all that would change is a price rise to "smooth-out" the transition and set-up costs abroad, followed by the same prices we see now, making bigger profits for GW.
If you think they are remotely concerned about you, or saving you money, you're kidding yourself.
When's the last time you saw GW have a sale? ;)

If it was that big of a deal, they would at least start thinking about dropping prices. I would expect lower prices and some advertising if they saw they were going down.

I've been playing GW games for over 20 years.  From my experience, they would cut jobs, axe shops before lowering prices.

As Roy mentioned, they are still reeling from their LoTR "hiccup"......eventually, you'll see an improvement.  It wouldn't hurt for them to make more friends where the gaming community is concerned, rules updates/errata etc....the guys in the shops are usually great, but the company suck.

-Reborn. :)

Offline Col.Gravis

• General; Best Painter
  • I take the Pith so you dont have too!
    • Blog
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2007, 08:09:50 AM »
Aye model production takes place largely at the company HQ in Lenton, Nottingham (Warhammer World), though as I recal they have a manufacturing facility in the US now as well somewhere. I'm not sure where they send their printing though.

Offline [Thor]

• Beliskner, the Chariot of Thor
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2007, 09:48:36 AM »
Makes you wonder, what with the poor quality of WD, the poor quality of rules/armies books never being written very well, etc,:

What the hell do they do all day?

If the game developers are bringing out badly written versions of army books and rules, and not bothering to make FAQ's to fix their errors, and White Dwarf being such sub standard, what are they doing all day? From the army books, I would hazard a guess that the so-called "Games Developers" spend about 2 hours a day working, the rest of the time playing.

Offline Felix Faustus

• Failed Anti-Mod Revolutionary
  • 1 part idiocy; 2 parts irony; 3 parts lobstrosity
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2007, 11:41:15 AM »

I heard that the factories were in Brimingham somewhere near HQ

I live around 8 miles from Birmingham, GW HQ is a good 50 miles from me....if the factories are in Brum and near HQ, then they are bloody large factories mate!!  I think they do a lot of their stuff in Nottingham.

-Reborn. :)

Bugger, I meant to say Nottingham, I was getting mixed up with Games day, but I did mean Nottingham...
If you can stage the conditions right, creating a chaos god of biscuits could be quite possible.

Offline Lazarus

• Infinity Circuit - The Voice of Reason
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Space Wolves & Imperial Guard
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2007, 12:20:12 PM »
My last employer was extremely good at making it look like his business was losing money every year....there are lots of ways to hide and juggle money around.

Lazarus.
"If someone used the ridiculous cover saves rule on me I'd probably punch him in the face. If he's still standing he would be entitled to punch me in the face, take my army, and my woman if he can. This is known as the Conan rule of play, and is not forbidden in the core rules and encourages serious amounts of sportsmanship." - Carniflex