News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: To be a basic modeler or to not be a basic modeler..........?  (Read 2743 times)

Offline Balthazar

• I *LOVE* euhm...........!
To be a basic modeler or to not be a basic modeler..........?
« on: February 15, 2013, 02:05:25 PM »
Hi all

As some already read I'm not a real orkzzz player yet. I'm hoping to buy myself an ork army of 1500 pts around august. I've been posting some list in my search of gamestyle and the pretty fast result is Zpeedzzz Freakzzz :-).

Alright and now more or less to the point of this post............
I'm not really a guy who uses the basic 40k sets with my armies. My space wolves are a big combination of SW, CSM, WoC, VSM. And for orkzzz i'm planning the same.

I was thinking of using a lot of IG pieces and some VSM.

What i wanted to ask you guys is what you do? Are you a basic modeler or do you want more then the basic?

Either way pictures are apreciated for inspiring me :-).
Hallelujah I suxxxxorzz but i'm having so much fun :-D ! ! !

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
Re: To be a basic modeler or to not be a basic modeler..........?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 02:55:09 PM »
That is the best part of being an ork player, you can loot anything to make anything in the ork army. Say you want a looted wagon, you could use a rhino to be the basis of it, or you could use a tau hammerhead, or a DE raider. Of course there are other non-GW model kits out there that can be used as well. Mostly the "rule of cool" applies as well as the ol' wysiwyg rule.

As for using the other races in the GW 40k verse, almost anything goes when it comes to orks. I have seen IG models with ork heads, and so on. Just as long as you explain to your opponent what each model is before the game starts it is usually good to go. Just avoid the sin of overproxy, where nothing in your army looks like what it really is, close enough is good, but accurate is better. IE space marine terminators do not make good grots, but the same terminators with ork heads would make good mega nobs, etc.

As an example; here are my tank bustas. Ork boys with rockit launchas looted from IG, SM, and Eldar parts.

Hope this helps.
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline enlg

• I like editing stuff.
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 08:06:47 PM »
Personally I think that putting time into modeling is a great aspect of the warhammer hobby. I can't get you pictures of my army, as I'm not at home currently (I'm a university student) but I converted each one of my models heavy (I play nurgle chaos) so that each one is unique, and I get a lot of compliments for my time and effort, and I think its worth it.

However, make sure that you playtest before you invest lots of time into modeling. It sucks to have an incredibly awesome looking bench-warmer....

Offline angel of death 007

• Dreadbash Warboss | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 10:53:40 PM »
I am far from a basic modeler.  I use all kinda different stuff when I build my models.  Most of my boyz are mixed from fantasy models, and my vehicles are usually converted using GW parts and about any other model kit I feel looks cool or ever plastic toys.....  Some inspiration for ya...

Lets go simple konversions first....
nob bikers using warbikers and nobz from the boxed set...

Painboy biker with the burna head, nob body, and nob cybersaw arm bit...   painted the bike red and white like an ambulance...

How about a dread to lead all dreads (i use him as my kff dread for apocalypse formation) he is a true bitz box mad doc scavanged project.

How about some ard boyz.... go ard or go home.... lovely mix of fantasy and 40k

Snikrot...pre GW model... built from nob and fantasy parts..

Some rokkit buggies..

Or you go completely crazy and the average ork trukk just doesn't cut it...

here they are WIP prior to being finished..

Orks are one of the best armies to konvert.  You can make almost anything look orky.  I got some major projects in design now as well...

But even something as simple as what I just did with my burna bomma....WIP...(work in progress)

magnatized for any configuration...

Hope that helps to inspire you some...as a boss I gotta lead by example  :P

Offline Balthazar

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 11:51:55 AM »
Pffffffffff don't post pictures anymore please. The pictures I already saw are making me look like a future idiot :).
No seriously this is some Nice stuff. I really really like the truck and bazooka thongs :).

So the more i see and the more i think about it ,you can use about EVERYTHING for an ork force :).

For the moment I'm thinking of some theme's for building my army. One of those is WW2. The more I think about it the more I'm sure it's going to be nuts ( a.k.a. OKRZZZZZZ ;-) ).
Anyhow , I'm still considering a lot of thing and really enjoying al the ideas you guys trow at me so i would suggest trow some more :).

Thx for the more then nice feedback already !!!

P.S. : I'm really starting to like the amount/quality of feedback of this part of 40k online. Thx for this greenz brotherzzzzz.

Post Merge: February 16, 2013, 11:53:45 AM
In the future, please use the modify button. Double posting is against the forum rules, and for that reason, the system merged your posts.

I also think by the time it's ordering time for the army i'm going to a toystore to get some more ideas and combine some general toys with the orkzzzz and other kits.

Nice nice nice :)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 11:53:45 AM by Balthazar »

Offline angel of death 007

• Dreadbash Warboss | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 07:26:51 PM »
Just trying to encourage not intimidate.   ;)  I get motivated when I see some cool conversions.  Our forum has a lot of great members and a lot of them are Green skinned. 

I know myself and OD both try to stretch our kits out pretty far.  With my dakka jet i ended up buying some extra bits, an extra hull online and used the extra bits from the kit and made my own wings.   Did the same with my dread and killa kans with a few small conversions.   

Finding toys, model kits or whatever that are cheap enough you can actually save a lot of money by stretching one kit into two or more.   Definitely one of the best things about being an ork.

As I am just going over to the more vehicle oriented lists (having fielded two battle wagons and a trukk in this last tourny) I am thinking of personally going more of a mad max kinda vehicle add ons for my army.

Offline Balthazar

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 03:00:46 PM »
Mhhhh mad max :-)

I think that truck in mad max 3 is going to be a nice battlewagon :-) or possible a truck :-).
Messa like :-)

Offline adamscurr

• Mega Armored Biker Boss
  • Armies: Evil Sunz, Crimson Fists
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 09:39:13 PM »
I"ll post a few pics for you....  I never make any two things in my ork army the same...  Adding to ork vehicals is easy...  You can bitz bash from any kit and you can add parts from toys...  Or even make vehicals out of toys...  Just go with whatever you think is cool and you'll not have a problem...  Just make sure you know the rules of your LGS in what they allow.  Some have policies of 79% GW parts and such...

Here's some stuff

Adam

Cause We's Da Orks, and You's Not!!!

Offline zachay2000

• Ork Boy
  • If we don't end WAAGH, WAAGH will end us!
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2013, 12:18:56 PM »
Being an Ork by nature means that we are prone to not being a basic modeller. I use looted rhinos and chimeras as trukks, I have a ork on a horse as a warbiker with a gun from a loota.
Check out the Two Headed Geek channel on Youtube! TwoheadedGeek's channel - YouTube *Latest Video= Army Update*

Offline OD from TV

• Ork Warlord | Title of Doom status: pending | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2013, 08:25:59 PM »
I'm not really a guy who uses the basic 40k sets with my armies. My space wolves are a big combination of SW, CSM, WoC, VSM. And for orkzzz i'm planning the same.
I was thinking of using a lot of IG pieces and some VSM.
Trust me Orks are up your ally.  They are the Konversion Kings of 40k.  You want Battledamage?  That's Orky to the point of necessity in my book.  Looted Bolters, make perfect stand in Sluggas plus have the added bonus of being their ancient weapon of choice!  And then you have the amazing count as rule which has lead to a LOT of people bringing back their old Cyboars as Bikers (and even people grabbing the Fantasy Ork Boar Boyz kits and overhauling them to 40k!)

Pffffffffff don't post pictures anymore please. The pictures I already saw are making me look like a future idiot :).
I wouldn't call you an idiot, in either past, present or future tenses.  Heck I started Orks on a bet, and when I did I had no idea they'd become my favorite army in the game, or that they were open to such a degree of insane Konversion opportunities.

Now I'm not going to lie, konversion work isn't always a walk in the park.  Personally I have something like a 2:1 ratio, for every great looking konversion there's at least 2 that just don't work or look painfully horrible, and I've been at it for years.  Even my earlier work when I look back on it now feels either incomplete or just bad, and that's in large part because each new project gives new experience, new challenges, and forces me to become better at konversion.

The mainstays of a Konverter are pretty simple, the largest bit box filled with all the bits you can get, a good Exacto blade, glue, plasticard/sheet styrene,  the creativity amplifier knob turned to 11, and then you have the supplimental helpful things like files, a Dremil, green stuff, plastic tubing, wires, guitar string, and an extra big bag of that creativity.  I know I said creativity twice there, but it's REALLY important, especially in looking at a bit and seeing more than just the standard possibility it was built for.

Now you said not to post any more pics, but I can't help myself, I swear I'll limit myself though...

Take a look at this klanking death of 11 Kans.  I used 1 standard kit of Killa Kans, and the rest is random bits, discarded PVC pipe I found in the road (that as luck would have it was the same size as the Kan body!), plasticard, and a lot of luck, glue, and hard work.

That project pretty much exhausted my entire bits box, and took a real heavy strain on me with lots of nights spent over the workbench.  When I started out with Konverting things, I could never, and I mean that NEVER conceive of such a project, let alone finding a way to get it done.  And as good as these are, they pail in comparison to the next project I did, which was a massload of Dreads built out of 1 Dread box supplimented with every Carnifex or Hive Tyrant bit I could get my grubby hands on.

If I hadn't done the Kan project, this Dread project wouldn't have come out anywhere near as good as it did.  In fact I wouldn't have thought to use Nid Bits like that if I hadn't been running out of bits for the Kan project and looked to Warrior bits to fill the missing pieces I didn't have time to scratchbuild.

But like I said, there are plenty of bad konversions going along with the good, and plenty of projects that ultimately fall flat and look absolutely dreadful.  In fact it wasn't that long ago I was trying my hands at scratchbuilding Meganobz again, and that proved to be a disaster.  I mean truly it was the worst work I put together in years, to the point that I'm too embarrassed to post pics of it.  And the thing that gets me is that I've made Meganob konversions before, that admittedly don't look as good as the stuff I scratchbuild nowdays, but even them were practically laughing at how bad the new ones looked.

Konversions are ultimately easy to do.  The hardest part is making them look great, next to that is the creativity of figuring out what and how to build, and then of course motivating yourself to keep working a bit over to make it look great because you just can't accept it looking lame or like another modeler's work.  Okay maybe that last part is just me, but I take a lot of pride in the konversions that turn out right, as does every modeler.

So Balthazar, get out there and start building, even if you think it isn't turning out right don't just give up on Konverting Orkz, rather if it helps think of it like an RPG game.  Each project gives you more XP and in time you'll pump out great work look back on it and go, "wow how the [expletive deleted] did I pull that off!"  Trust me, that's the best feeling in the nightmare future of 40k.

Peace
~OD

Post Script Addendum: By the way AoD that burnabomma is going Great!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 08:29:28 PM by OD from TV »
Truly beautiful work. That's the kind of stuff that makes a true mekanik cry tears of joy.
OD, you once again prove that your are still the freakin Da Vinci of plasticard

Offline adamscurr

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2013, 07:23:23 AM »
Od...  Those Dreadnidz always give me a chuckle...  I picture a big mek poking electrodes into different parts of the nid and seeing what happens! lol

Adam

Offline Ork E Nuff

• Ork Boy
  • 'ere WE go, 'ere WE go, 'ere WE go!!!!!
  • Armies: Orks, SM (occassionally)
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2013, 12:52:09 PM »
Model...convert...k it-bash...revel in what makes the orks the orks...the unorthodox, the unpredictable, the almost unacceptable...WYSI WYG until your fingers bleed! (literally, happens; occupational hazard...).  Don't let the pictures and posts intimidate you, we all started from square one at some time...practice, practice, and practice again...Now, get out there and do something orkish!
Blood n Guts is nuffin more dan bio-d-gradible axle grease.....Remember, that which does not kill you, will only try harder the next time...I've named me attack squig "Skippy"....is that wrong?

Offline Balthazar

« Reply #12 on: March 6, 2013, 07:00:27 PM »
Finally some time to post again .....

So I see some REALLY !!!! REALLY !!!! nice stuff in here . Like you guys say and from what I understand Orks are the real deal for not so basic modelers :). And I have to say it's sounding better and better to start with orks :). There even is a possibility that I'll start earlier then the end of the year so we'll see :).

For the moment I'm having a sort of Mad max theme going on in my head ( with the new movie coming perhaps ? ;) ). Like I mentioned earlier I really like that truck from MM3 ................. I'll see when it's that time :).

Anyhow ladies , I like to thank all off you for contributing to my topic and helping me out for idea's and thoughts.

Offline adamscurr

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2013, 04:23:56 PM »
The mad max theme is perfect for orks...  I went with a rolling scrap heap theme myself.  I made sure no two models in my army were alike.  You cna really get creative with your modeling...  I like to take a toy and make it into an ork vehical.  You get so much in the kits these days that you can pretty much use your extra bitz to ork things up... 

I'm sue I said it earlier, but check your LGS rules to see what they allow.  If they are GW sticklers, they might not let you bring in scratch built stuff...  But I have found that the "rule of cool" applies most places.  As long as your stuff looks cool, most people are good with it...  It doesn't hurt to use as many GW parts as possible tough!

Adam 

Offline OD from TV

• Ork Warlord | Title of Doom status: pending | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2013, 06:21:12 AM »
I second adamscurr on his points.  A lot of the store's I've gone to, both GW's and LGS's use a 70% GW material rule.  I've never been to a GW that's cool with using another company's bits or models, I even saw a guy asked to put a conversion away because it was based off a toy (although truth be told it was far too big for a counts as Leman Russ, I mean it was the size of a Baneblade if not larger).

Which in itself is a really important bit of info for konversions.  Be sure to be close on scale, you don't have to be exact of course, but within the right ballpark.  Buggies the size of Bikes will make some opponents irate and accuse you of cheating by modeling for gaming advantages, and the same can be said for obscenely large konversions with the addendum of the model becoming incredibly easy to target and therefore be taken out.

Peace
~OD

Post Script: when you start your work, please be sure to grant us the glory of some pics
Truly beautiful work. That's the kind of stuff that makes a true mekanik cry tears of joy.
OD, you once again prove that your are still the freakin Da Vinci of plasticard

Offline adamscurr

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2013, 09:55:55 PM »
Also...  I find that it is ok to go bigger, but not as accepted to go smaller...  There are LOS problems with smaller models...  Bigger is normally ok unless you go much bigger and are using the model to hide behind...

Adam