News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 2k list of large mobs  (Read 2489 times)

Offline Ollieb

• Ancient
  • I'm only here for the beer!
2k list of large mobs
« on: December 23, 2012, 07:21:56 PM »
Doing an inventory and counted 349 fully painted Orks so decided to see how many I could pack in a 2k list.  Fought another ork list that had IG allies and came out with a win.  Going to paint up the other 2 loota boxes and debating on whether or not I want to build those other 90 Boyz as shootas. 

HQ
WB - EA,PK, squig,cybork

Elites
2x Lootas 11 in each

Troops
3x full shoota mobs- 3 BS, Nob (PK/BP)
2x full CH/SL mobs - 3 RLS,Nob (PK/BP)

FA
2 x Deffcopta -TLRL
2 x Deffcopta -TLRL, Buzzsaw

HS
Looted Wagon - Boomgun, ard case
Looking for a compliment here is like looking for a girlfriend in a cemetary.  You know you will probably not like what you dig up, but you'll take it anyway.

Offline angel of death 007

• Dreadbash Warboss | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
Re: 2k list of large mobs
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 06:27:19 PM »
WOW 349 painted boyz...   that is massive. 

I like a lot of bodies and have had a lot of luck with shoota boyz.   I dunno, having a flyer usually is benefitual, and our fliers are pretty nice. 

I have yet to try groups of deff koptas since 6th.   The green baron has let me down a lot in the latest edition though.   A squad might work out ok though. 

Warboss and no nobz or better yet, mega nobz?   ???

Offline Khulric

• Everyone's favorite lurker.
  • Armies: Necrons, Alpha Legion (everything)
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2012, 07:32:26 PM »
I like the list.  Personally I think you are a little light on the Boyz  ;D  I mean, you can never have enough, right?

One question though, sir.  Where are the pics of this near 350 horde of yours?  (You should go paint one more to make it even.)

Offline Ollieb

• Ancient
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2012, 08:09:00 AM »
Oops 352.  Forgot to count my Skullhamma, kill bursta and kill Blasta. 

I got number 353 painted yesterday.  Turning my bikers into Nobs and finished a pain boy for them. 
Looking for a compliment here is like looking for a girlfriend in a cemetary.  You know you will probably not like what you dig up, but you'll take it anyway.

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2012, 12:00:23 PM »
Running a green tide list in this edition seems to work rather well. While I have only played three games with my tide, it does have a 3-0 record.

My list
Boss eavy, cybork pk bp squig
Boss eavy, cybork, bp, bc, squig

3 squads 30 choppa boys all with nob with pk bp. One squad has 3 rockits
2 squads 30 shoota boys, nob with PK BP three big shootas
1 squad 30 grots with three herders

1 squad 15 tank bustas nob with BP and hammer
1 squad 15 lootas

212 models on the table.

I don't play it often enough to claim to be an expert but it is fun, however the movement turn does take a while.

I still prefer my speed freaks with lots of trucks and buggies (still disgusted with the dakka jet as it really doesn't do anything but show up and die) with the change from choppa boys to shoota boys riding in the trucks.  8)

"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline Ollieb

• Ancient
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2012, 09:07:57 AM »
I have those models painted.  I may have to loot that list and try it out.  Have you played a list with fliers in it yet? 

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2012, 09:51:38 AM »
Yes I played an IG and a necron players who both had fliers, and the tank bustas shot down all three vendettas and two of the four necron fliers, however those destructo barges were harder to take out with that armor 13 thing. The lootas took out the other two necron flying moons.
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)

Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline CheesyRobMan

• Burna Mek
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2012, 10:55:16 AM »
The lootas took out the other two necron flying moons.

Hehe - at our club they are known as the Death Croissants  :D

Although if anyone plays Bad Moons, they'd be an awesome moon-like looted flyer...  *pokes Baron Wastelands*
"Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!" - Marvin the Martian

Offline Khulric

• Everyone's favorite lurker.
  • Armies: Necrons, Alpha Legion (everything)
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2012, 06:25:57 PM »
I've been playing Necrons since 3rd, and had been getting back into them lately (as well as the Orks of course). 

I played a match against our LGS Tournament Organizer with my Crons.  He used a similar list except with buggies instead of coptas, and no Wagon.  Between 2 Ghost Arks, 2 Doomsday Arks, and 2 Triarch Stalkers, I lost only one of the Ghost Arks. 

I'm not trying to gloat; I'm trying to make sure you don't underestimate Necron vehicles.  Though I am not really impressed with the Doomscythes (Death ray).  I've never used them, but fought against 3 in the final round of a tournament.  They won't be able to kill enough of your wave to really bother, and they are easily shot down with enough weight of fire.  However, the Arks, and Stalkers can take silly large blast templates.

I tabled roughly 180 Orks because of them.  Particularly the Stalker.  It can be equipped with the rough equivalent of a half range, large blast, autocannon that gives the rest of the Necron army twin-linked agaisnt it's target.  Two of those, and it wasn't hard to wipe a squad or two per shooting phase.

So, in my experience, if I face a similar list with my Orks, I will target Stalkers before the flyers.

Offline Ollieb

• Ancient
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2012, 08:49:54 AM »
That information is good to know. 

Offline Locarno

• Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Could I interest you in a small bribe?
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2012, 12:24:52 PM »
In all honesty, he's right - largely ignore flyers. For the most part they struggle to do massive damage to ground targets anyway, especialy since the new rules prevented Dark Eldar and Ork fighter ripple-firing off all their missiles in one turn.

I've been playing a swarm infantry list myself, and my usual response to flyers is "yes, and?" - ignoring the aggravating little gnats has done fairly well so far.

I Wholehearterdly support lootas - they're awesome and massed BS2 fire means you needn't be too scared of snap firing - meaning going to ground, moving and firing or shooting at flyers works surprisngly well. The four flyers I'd make a priority target, given your list, are the Valkyrie (rarely seen in favour of its lascannon-toting sister the Vendetta, though), the Vulture, the Nightfire Launcher-armed Phoenix, and the Baleflamer-armed Helldrake. All of the above can do unspeakable things to horde armies. Anything else is an irritation at worst.

I would advise shoota boyz vs Sluggas. Since you can't run then charge, you always get to fire, and you can pre-measure at any time if concerned about killing guys in charge range, so you might as well take them. They put out scary amounts of shooting - and scarier amounts of overwatch fire - meaning they're the ideal front rank to take the kills, get the shots in, and shoot up any counter-assualt units your enemy has. They don't loose that much killyness in combat, and they form a nasty skirmish screen for the choppa-armed boyz in the second wave.

My one warning is that with only a looted wagon on the table, it's going to go down like a sack of squigs every time. People will look across the table and see that the only viable target for all their long-ranged anti-tank is a single fragile rhino chassis with an extremely dangerous battlecannon on it. If it makes it to turn three, ever, I'll be most impressed. When the superheavies are on the board it's a lower priority target and may last long enough to achieve something, but not on its own.
Stories to read....
Songs of Earth
The Will to Survive Series

Tervigon Army List:
Games Played: 35
Termagants expended for the Hive Mind: ~2685

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2012, 09:52:35 AM »
Another trick I learned about playing the hoard (from a nid player) is always try to go second. This is to prevent you setting up your army in a long line and then your opponent doing the refused flank (i.e. turtling in the corner) to take on 1/3 of your army with all of his and the far flank has to move and run all game just to get close.

By going second, you can then let your opponent set up and then you can concentrate your layers depending on his positions. Not to mention that on the last turn of the game you have the option of the move/run or move/charge to take or contest objectives thus causing a close fight to be a glorious victory. Or getting a near loss into a tie, thus causing it to be an ork victory; as if the other side thinks they didn't win, then that means the orks did win!

Offline Ginger farseer

• Ork Yoof
  • Armies: Space wolves, Eldar, Orks
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2012, 03:54:31 PM »
Another trick I learned about playing the hoard (from a nid player) is always try to go second. This is to prevent you setting up your army in a long line and then your opponent doing the refused flank (i.e. turtling in the corner) to take on 1/3 of your army with all of his and the far flank has to move and run all game just to get close.

By going second, you can then let your opponent set up and then you can concentrate your layers depending on his positions. Not to mention that on the last turn of the game you have the option of the move/run or move/charge to take or contest objectives thus causing a close fight to be a glorious victory. Or getting a near loss into a tie, thus causing it to be an ork victory; as if the other side thinks they didn't win, then that means the orks did win!

Although, if you are facing lots of blasts, then you will have to spread out a lot anyway, and you will take up the width of the board, so you may as well go 1st and avoid an extra turns shooting.

I think that fielding that many large bobs of boyz is great fun, although I have nowhere near as many as you.

WOW 349 painted boyz...   that is massive. 

Agreed, even painting a model a day it would take you almost a full year! :o
Be nice to nerds, you'll probably be working for them.

What if by 'fly you fools'  Gandalf was actually telling the fellowship to call the eagles and fly to Mordor?

"Thunder rolled... It rolled a six"

+++Melon melon melon+++
+++out of cheese error redo from start+++
+++Divide by cucumber error. Please reinstall universe and reboot+++

Offline Ollieb

• Ancient
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2012, 07:02:08 PM »
This army is in the neighborhood of 15 years old.  Not really sure how many of the original models I have left but they are on their third paint job.  Started them out as Bad Moons, went to Goffs then opted to make them Deffskulls.  Next time I go with a new clan I'm buying new minis.  Stripping a ton of Orks is a royal pain.