News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: [2000] Iron Warriors - Competitive  (Read 2151 times)

Offline Akaitsuki

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
[2000] Iron Warriors - Competitive
« on: August 19, 2017, 09:36:24 PM »
Theme - In this list I wanted to hold true to what Iron Warriors are supposed to be all about fluff wise while trying to make it as competitive as possible. While most would say the 'ignore cover' trait is the weakest link and I'd be inclined to agree it doesn't come off as particularly strong...I have first hand play test experience with my Imperial Fists army vs Imperial Guard that the trait is actually quite powerful against the right opponent. I decimated astra militarum in 2 turns of shooting and I expect iron warriors can do just as well.

The daemon prince is geared to be increasing to S10 on the charge with extra attacks thanks to his psychic powers. The terminators and sorcerer drop in near the prince with warp time I can guarantee their assault aswell as shooting those meltas within half range. The weaver of fates power is there to be used on any target in the army to grant them a 4+ inv at any given time this is specially useful on the prince and daemon engines whom can regenerate wounds every turn thus increasing their survivability.

The army has an in your face assault component as all the daemon engines rush forward no holding back! Even the defiler is geared for combat everyone regens and lays waste to the opponent.

The havocs support from a distance with cover ignoring firepower. I am very happy with this list if you have a suggestion though I'd be glad to hear it. Perhaps there's some Iron Warriors combo that i missed

++ Spearhead Detachment +1CP (Chaos - Chaos Space Marines) [52 PL, 973pts] ++
Legion: Iron Warriors
+ HQ +

Daemon Prince with Wings [9 PL, 180pts]: Mark of Tzeentch
Daemonic axe, Fleshmetal Exoskeleton
Psychic Power: Diabolic Strength

+ Elites +
Chaos Terminators [14 PL, 310pts]: Mark of Tzeentch
Chaos Terminator Champion: Combi-melta, Power fist
Terminator: Combi-melta, Power fist [x4]

+ Heavy Support +
Defiler [11 PL, 179pts]: Mark of Tzeentch
Defiler scourge, Reaper autocannon

Maulerfiend [9 PL, 152pts]: Mark of Tzeentch
Lasher tendrils

Maulerfiend [9 PL, 152pts]: Mark of Tzeentch
Lasher tendrils

++ Spearhead Detachment +1CP (Chaos - Chaos Space Marines) [49 PL, 1023pts] ++
Legion: Iron Warriors
+ HQ +

Sorcerer in Terminator Armour [8 PL, 158pts]: Mark of Tzeentch
Combi-bolter, Force axe
Psychic power: Warptime, Weaver of Fates

+ Heavy Support +
Havocs [7 PL, 165pts]: Mark of Tzeentch
Aspiring Champion: Boltgun
Havoc w/ heavy weapon: Missile launcher [x4]

+ Flyer +
Heldrake [10 PL, 185pts]: Mark of Tzeentch
Baleflamer

Heldrake [10 PL, 185pts]: Mark of Tzeentch
Baleflamer

++ Total: [101 PL, 1996pts] ++
Total CP: 5

Offline Akaitsuki

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: [2000] Iron Warriors - Competitive
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2017, 07:03:26 PM »
Got a DRAW vs Tau using this list. 4 commanders fusion blaster, 3 hammerhead (longstrike) and a bunch of firewarriors (fireblade) and stealthsuits. The mission being Secure & Control.

Lessons learned.
-Defilers suck seriously they suck and that's that. I know i know...i wish it werent' so but seriously they suck.
-Maulerfiends are decent choices but not optimal the daemon engine rule is a detriment to all units that carry it. The volume of attacks helps, lasher tendrils are the best way to run these.
-Heldrakes got fielded in two games and engaged the enemy turn 1 which is great but did very little damage and died very quickly after. A small annoyance to the enemy. Heldrakes will not see much use in my lists going forward.
-Havocs carried me for most of the battle. They always perform very very well.
-Terminators are very solid choices.
-Warptime is the #1 draft pick when choosing psychic powers.
-Daemon Prince do pretty good being characters.

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2017, 10:40:31 PM »
I wouldn't discount the helldrakes too much. True, they are not offensive terrors, but are the fastest assault unit in the game. They are great to have to tie up an enemy shooty unit turn 1. Due to their speed, they can charge pretty much anything, and then stops that unit from shooting (for a turn or two).

One thing you might want to try is making some of the units slaanesh, instead of tzeentch (particularly shooty units), as then you can pop that slaanesh stratagem for them to fire twice in one turn. Pretty nice.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Akaitsuki

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2017, 04:07:26 PM »
Great insight i didn't even think to fire twice i was more concerned with the defense. The terminators certainly could've used it. Their 4+ inv went to waste i thought the opponent was going to drop those commanders to kill the terminators but he went straight for the heldrakes and wiped them with fusion blasters and then wiped the terminators with Cadre Fireblade and a amphetamine parrot ton of pulse rifle fire.

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2017, 04:56:25 PM »
If you want to run defense, you might as well run the Alpha Legion legion traits for the -1 to hit beyond 12". Deepstrike slaanesh alpha legion obliterators beyond 12" and then blast away twice the turn they drop in, and then all return fire is at -1 to hit. Very very nice.

Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Akaitsuki

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #5 on: September 3, 2017, 12:30:29 AM »
Yeah but that would break the theme of an "iron warriors' list. thought your advice is solid it just doesnt fit into the list I was going for. The other stuff though was gold.

• Ancient
« Reply #6 on: September 3, 2017, 01:09:09 AM »
Yeah. Shooting twice is beslubbering awesome. Let us know how it goes! The new chaos book has a lot of great options. 
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria