News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: well, well well...  (Read 10690 times)

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
well, well well...
« on: April 25, 2017, 08:34:03 PM »
I feel bad that this section of our beloved site has some many tombs in it. Hopefully this will change in the near future. Hopefully the new rules will start a spark.

I do realize that a reason for this is that the necrons have become such a straight forward army that discussion went to the way side. I hope this will change with a new edition.

Necrons are my biggest army next to my Eldar and I for one am going to start using them again. No more formations just straight CAD lists with the old and new. Let's shake the dust off and start resurrecting the mighty machines for battle, whether it's Armageddon, small games or large total table battles.

Not much of a battle cry but after the new ed comes I plan on doing some serious comparisons on each unit as well as bat reps for this mighty race. How about ya'll?
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Saim-Dann

Re: well, well well...
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 09:09:27 PM »
Necrons are a tough arm. Haven't played against them often enough to get a handle on them yet. Love a challenge... Pointy ears forever!!

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 09:34:58 PM »
Played against Necrons a lot. Don't play them myself, but I used to back in 4th/5th. Neat army, very annoyingly hard to kill.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline gollee

• Armies: necrons, CSM
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 09:44:57 PM »
Advice for those who haven't played against Necrons used to their fullest extent. If you see a squad of Lychguard with shields, it WILL have Orikan. Which means it will not die, period. It is slow, with no ranged attacks, but they have toughness that terminators wished they had. The thing is one of the nastiest deathstars out there; I should know, it is great fun to take to tournaments if you are feeling cruel.
While the Nekthyst Dynasty stands, order shall not fall.

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 10:10:25 PM »
Advice for those who haven't played against Necrons used to their fullest extent. If you see a squad of Lychguard with shields, it WILL have Orikan. Which means it will not die, period. It is slow, with no ranged attacks, but they have toughness that terminators wished they had. The thing is one of the nastiest deathstars out there; I should know, it is great fun to take to tournaments if you are feeling cruel.

Yeah, the best way to deal with such a unit is to avoid it, or tie it up with something else which is hard to kill. Worst thing to do is feed it units piecemeal. I've made that mistake.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Dread

• Warlock
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 10:31:35 PM »
I'm guilty of using the decurion detachment as well as facing it. It's a legal cheat but makes survivability for them really good, hard to kill. My only success against them has been my jetbikes army. All of my others failed. Now we'll see what the new rules do to them.

So last week I got the necron warrior ghost ark box set. Finally sat down and opened it tonight and low and behold, 32 mm bases. But I said nay nay and dug out the ole 25's, thank goodness I have so many extras of those. I have 4 squads of 16 warriors, no way I'm putting the new on bigger bases.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 02:13:16 AM by Dread »
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #6 on: May 2, 2017, 06:58:35 PM »
Necrons are my 3rd army. I'm hoping they keep some semblance of their durability without being TOO durable like the decurion. I'd like to see monoliths come back to the table, and C'tan be more reliable/usable. As long as my 20 Praetorians with rods are still just as good, I'll be happy.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #7 on: May 3, 2017, 12:11:40 AM »
Yeah Necron's are my biggest non-Eldar army, got to have the old enemy to bash around every now and then ;)

I think Nercon's just went through a massively OP phase, followed by a nerf bat, followed by Decurion in a really short period of time. Then it got lost in the sea of new models. I am interested to see how the new rule set will affect them given there is no AV values anymore.

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #8 on: May 3, 2017, 07:10:27 AM »
Most of my losses in this edition have been to Necrons. I have a ton of respect for the army. As annoying as they are in this edition... it really reinforces how scary it must be to face a Necron army. I hope they remain just as nasty in the new edition.

If it weren't for the Traitor Legions book I would have built a Necron army.
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Dread

• Warlock
« Reply #9 on: May 3, 2017, 02:51:11 PM »
Shame on you Cav for not getting the Necrons...but seriously, they are my favorite next to my Eldar. I'm really hoping they don't ruin our rules as bad as AoS. I will do what I said either way and do write ups for them reguardless.

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #10 on: May 3, 2017, 10:01:35 PM »
Also hope they don't nerf the Necrons. As I've said, haven't beaten them yet. Would feel ripped off if my first victory over them was because they all decided to wear skirts. My opponent wouldn't let me hear the end of it either.

Offline Dread

• Warlock
« Reply #11 on: May 4, 2017, 12:57:54 AM »
Believe me I understand that. I might not win with my tinman all the time but they put up a heck of a fight. Hardest army I went against was Tau, just because of range issues. I've held my own against most others. Dunno against any eldar faction because I'm the only player around here with them. Orks were tough too but only because the player was trying to kill kill instead of going after objectives.

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #12 on: May 4, 2017, 08:03:35 AM »
@Dread- Hahahah. Well I've still got the models. 3 Wraiths, a Spider, a Lord and a unit of Warriors. After my World Eaters and Dark Angels are finished... I'll definitley work them up to a playable allied faction for sure.

Also don't worry bud, the new 40k is gonna be awesome. I'm convinced of it... all my favorite players are in love with post-generals handbook AoS (Frankie and Reece from Frontline, Lawrence from Tabletop Tactics) I'm sure its gonna make 40k even better... and most importantly faster for us creaky old veterans  ;D
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Dread

• Warlock
« Reply #13 on: May 4, 2017, 02:15:03 PM »
Thanks bud. I hope so. AOS got to childish for us so we opted out of it. As long as the don't have a rule where you pat your head and rub your belly whist hoping on one leg and making goo goo sounds to cause damage to units, I'll be happy. Sense not dumbing will be fine.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #14 on: May 4, 2017, 09:13:16 PM »
Also hope they don't nerf the Necrons.

The new rule set will mean they are nerfed in some aspects, every army will be hit by that bat in some way, and like with every other new edition, armies will play differently in the new rule set. This time, its practically wipe the slate clean and start over again.

Offline Dread

• Warlock
« Reply #15 on: May 5, 2017, 01:57:17 AM »
Your probably right on the nose Magenb. AOS did that. We saw all free rules, then new armies, not free rules but the new are more powerful. Hence my worries over the new. I haven't condemned it yet, YET my be to strong a word.

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2017, 06:06:13 PM »
With the Necron teaser out, I'm pretty satisfied. It seems my army will keep its durability. I like that this durability will rely on the Crypteks for the bonus to protocols. Gauss weapons are really good too. I'm sad the Monolith took a BS hit, but it does get to fire all of the guns on the move now (with no penalty). Hopefully this BS reduction doesn't carry over to the infantry (I could see warriors possibly).

Offline Dread

• Warlock
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2017, 06:51:12 PM »
I think the standard bs on all troops is 3 now. range bonus will fix that.

Got my glue and finishing up some warriors and an ark. Hopefully be ready for opening night

Offline Kaiju Senso

• Necrontyr Warrior
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Necrons, Guard, Tau, Marines
« Reply #18 on: June 2, 2017, 08:58:00 AM »
I'm looking forward to the revamp. It's been ages since I've been any good with Necrons on the table. 5th edition with 3rd edition codex is where my army lists have shined but I've struggled to figure out the new stuff. This is most likely due to my own forced handicaps in list design.

Here's to a new awakening, cheers.

Offline Dread

• Warlock
« Reply #19 on: June 5, 2017, 12:28:52 AM »
I have been reading the preview books and have come to the conclusion that the Necrons didn't really take a hit from the changes like I thought they would. Resurrection protocol is different but I like it. Being able to take crypteks again and make them worth it. Also the death ray can now be used on ground targets. The doom ark has two rates of fire that has potential whether it moves or not. Loosing gauss special rules not a big deal since they can still wound vehicles. The only kinda need is scarab but can deal with that. So much is just re-worded but practically the same as before.

Far as I can tell, a 3000 pt army will be about the equivalent of a 1850-2000 pt in 7th. Streamlined, eh, rules really look like after we get used to them should make games faster. Will no more on the 17th.