News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Obelisk? Is it about that time? Or past its Prime?  (Read 3657 times)

Offline prot

• Infinity Circuit | KoN Veteran
  • Prot ZA113
Obelisk? Is it about that time? Or past its Prime?
« on: April 29, 2015, 06:57:44 PM »
So .... Super Heavy? Or Super dud?

I actually am thinking of fielding one for fun, but have zero experience with it, and just bought one. Here we are seeing Gargantuan Wraithknights, and a new Knight book on the way for imperials.... what do you folks think of the Obelisk?

Has anyone played it in the new 'dex?

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
Re: Obelisk? Is it about that time? Or past its Prime?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2015, 07:15:50 PM »
The obelisk is really good. It absolutely crushes fliers and flying monstrous creatures and thunderblitz is no joke.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline prot

• Prot ZA113
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2015, 10:40:12 PM »
Thanks but would you say it's actually worth its points? How do you think it stacks up against Knights and perhaps the new Wraithknight? Will it have any impact? How do you use it mostly? (As in what is your best use of it?)

Also do you use it in a formation. I don't have my codex in front of me but I actually have 2 monoliths so I could use the formation... which is crazy expensive for an 1850 army. lol

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2015, 07:31:30 AM »
It's not comparable to fighting those units. It's better at dealing with more normal sized models. Especially fliers.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline prot

• Prot ZA113
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2015, 08:53:59 AM »
Alright, well maybe Deathmarks would be better for the giant stuff.... but still not seeing a big value in the Obelisk. Guess I'll have to try it out when it gets here. It almost seems like a  unit that would be hard fought to make up its points?

About flyers.... is it just because of the 18" rule? Is that what you mean by good against flyers? (Don't have the rulebook in front of me but I don't think it has skyfire.

• Ancient
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2015, 11:22:40 AM »
Yeah, It has a bubble which effects even zooming fliers. It can also put out a lot of shots.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline prot

• Prot ZA113
« Reply #6 on: May 6, 2015, 02:51:33 PM »
Finally got mine up and running for it's debut game tonight... I don't expect to much from it, but it should be fun.

Offline Rampart

« Reply #7 on: May 7, 2015, 11:50:18 PM »
I'm eager to hear how it goes. I proxied one in my last battle, but the eldar just stayed out of range and sent the wraithlords in to kill it.

Offline prot

• Prot ZA113
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2015, 03:09:22 PM »
I gotta be honest... it was pretty fun. Suprisingly it is indeed the Thunderblitz table that makes this unit work.

I find the fire arcs appear really generous which is good, but far from overpowering.

The first turns someone sees this they think... oh no, I better kill it. Then they see it has trouble penetrating a Chimera, and they lay off of it.

I'm putting a Spyder on it to rebuild the thing... maybe 2. It's a fun unit, the funny thing is getting used to shooting Ork Boyz with your "Super Heavy" and they get Tshirt saves still.lol

It's not WraithKnight... it certainly is not in that arena, but it's a fun unit. I dont think it's going to make its point back but again, it's a fun unit for a Necron army.