News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Dealing with the 'Gargantuan' Eldar!  (Read 5883 times)

Offline prot

• Infinity Circuit | KoN Veteran
  • Prot ZA113
Dealing with the 'Gargantuan' Eldar!
« on: April 28, 2015, 03:12:36 PM »
I am assuming this is safe to talk about on this forum now? The digital copies are out, and White Dwarf has confirmed several things, including the bikes, load outs, formations, and of course the Gargantuan, D-weapon toting Wraithknight!

Hopefully in an effort to get some conversation going here, we can talk about this new release.

The funny thing is I don't play the Decurion anymore. I said just wait til other codexes come out, and this (Decurion) won't seem so terrible, and here we are. I predicted to my play group that the next codex would 'magic bullet' us, and to a degree it has.

As we know D-weapons entirely negate Re-animation protocols, and the new Eldar have the best access to it. I also predicted, knowing GW, that the next release will sucker punch the Wraithknight which is also quite possible seeing how the Knight codex is also around the corner (sighted in White Dwarf).

So it's just a game of escalation. So how do we deal with such a creature (and the Wraithguard)? The eldar could quite likely own the air too with the Crimson Death formation.... lots to talk about. Anyone want to chime in?

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
Re: Dealing with the 'Gargantuan' Eldar!
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 10:00:31 PM »
I don't have much to say, other than I'm pretty sure that you could take down a WK the same way you'd take down a Land Raider. With Gauss. Lots of Gauss. So much gauss there's no air left because it's all been disintegrated.

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 11:31:59 PM »
If you were able to bring down a Wraithknight prior to their upgrade to Gargantuan, then you will be able to do it just as well.  The changes were only for instant death weapons and for their own shooting rules.  The wounding possibilities are the same as they were in the previous codex, which is why I am not concerned.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Wyldhunt

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2015, 12:43:24 AM »
If you were able to bring down a Wraithknight prior to their upgrade to Gargantuan, then you will be able to do it just as well.  The changes were only for instant death weapons and for their own shooting rules.  The wounding possibilities are the same as they were in the previous codex, which is why I am not concerned.

Ah, but Gargantuans have FNP, something that, if I'm not mistaken, they lacked before. 

Offline Grizzlykin

• Run little eldar, run! ... And KILL THEM ALL !
  • Armies: Eldars, Tau, Necrons
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2015, 04:27:01 AM »

Ah, but Gargantuans have FNP, something that, if I'm not mistaken, they lacked before.
Yep they do and did not before. As an eldar the more i look at the wraithknight the more i think it should be fine to fight him, first it's a low so it's limited to one. And there is also the fact that, it's still have a 3+ save... so anything that can go over that can wound him without much resistance and a feel no pain even if that migh save some of his hp should not make much of a difference.
The Grizzly's Arvandor Craftworld!

Quote from: Cavalier
ALL HAIL THE TORNADO! The legend is REBORN.

Quote from: Alienscar
The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member

Offline The Reborn

• I'm being out-gunned by a darn Carnifex....
  • Armies: Eldar, Harlequins.
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2015, 05:53:27 AM »
Not only FNP but Gargantuan also makes it MUCH harder to take them down with Sniper fire, Instant-Kill stuff and Poisoned weapons.
They are not the same as they were, they can potentially be much more of a nugget to crack now.  As always though, it's weight of fire that will bring them down. :)

Offline Grizzlykin

• Run little eldar, run! ... And KILL THEM ALL !
  • Armies: Eldars, Tau, Necrons
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2015, 06:06:45 AM »
I don't know much about necron's unit but don't you have something similar to what killed cavalier wraithknight in his last battle report?
The Grizzly's Arvandor Craftworld!

Quote from: Cavalier
ALL HAIL THE TORNADO! The legend is REBORN.

Quote from: Alienscar
The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member

Offline prot

• Prot ZA113
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2015, 09:41:02 AM »
I knew Gauss would be the quick answer, but I don't trust it to do the job with FnP on top of rolling 6's... I just don't see it as being efficient enough in time to stop the assault.

We need 6's to do something to it, and getting close enough brings in the fact(I'm just guessing here) that you have one turn to do it if you're in effective range because the Wraithknight will be scootin' 12" a turn right into your metallic horde.

I have been experimenting with Wraiths... another outside thought is scarabs, but they'll pop like nuts. Wraiths at least have the 3++ going in, until you get stomped... I honestly don't know what the answer is going to be.

Of the super heavies we have, the Obelisk isn't really up to this task.

Whatever the solution it'll have to be figured out fast since we know new Knights are around the corner as well. This is 40K moving forward, I think. Closer to mini-apoc than the squad based game we used to know. :)

Offline Rampart

« Reply #8 on: May 3, 2015, 11:45:47 PM »
Recently fought against eldar with the new wraithknight. It was shooty, and he was so afraid of my wraiths reaching his line that he wasted all his shots at them, and I never failed a save. So he charged them, completely ignoring the Nightbringer they were screening. Yeah, he stomped a wraith, but the C'tan made short work of him in one round. 

More worrisome was the Vortex of Doom power, which killed a squad of warriors and a monolith and there was nothing I could do about it. Farseers simply has too many warp charges for me to counter.

Offline The Reborn

• I'm being out-gunned by a darn Carnifex....
  • Armies: Eldar, Harlequins.
« Reply #9 on: May 4, 2015, 05:12:59 AM »
I played a large battle yesterday against a friend's Tyranids, fielding two Wraithknights.  He had a Harridan, about 6 or 7 Carnifexes, 2 exocrines, trygon Prime, flyrant.  It was a brutal affair that I was lucky to win 18-14, though it all hinged on the final battle of the day, final turn of the game....Prime against Wraithknight with sword of vaul.....no contest.
Wraithknights have swung round in terms of weapon load-out.  Suncannon used to be the best choice, now it's third in my opinion.  Second is wraithcannons, first is glaive and shield....this combo makes him so hardy and a crap kicker in combat.
All of those wounds at his high toughness, coupled with the shield save and FNP.....nasty.

Offline prot

• Prot ZA113
« Reply #10 on: May 5, 2015, 03:59:30 PM »
I played a large battle yesterday against a friend's Tyranids, fielding two Wraithknights.  He had a Harridan, about 6 or 7 Carnifexes, 2 exocrines, trygon Prime, flyrant.  It was a brutal affair that I was lucky to win 18-14, though it all hinged on the final battle of the day, final turn of the game....Prime against Wraithknight with sword of vaul.....no contest.
Wraithknights have swung round in terms of weapon load-out.  Suncannon used to be the best choice, now it's third in my opinion.  Second is wraithcannons, first is glaive and shield....this combo makes him so hardy and a crap kicker in combat.
All of those wounds at his high toughness, coupled with the shield save and FNP.....nasty.

What is the shooty Dweapon called that the Wraithknight can take? I fear that more than anything...

Recently fought against eldar with the new wraithknight. It was shooty, and he was so afraid of my wraiths reaching his line that he wasted all his shots at them, and I never failed a save. So he charged them, completely ignoring the Nightbringer they were screening. Yeah, he stomped a wraith, but the C'tan made short work of him in one round. 

More worrisome was the Vortex of Doom power, which killed a squad of warriors and a monolith and there was nothing I could do about it. Farseers simply has too many warp charges for me to counter.

The C'tan beat the Wraithknight in CC? Did I read that correctly?

I have a 'fun' game coming up tomorrow, I'm fielding a Mephrit with the Burning Conclave and using a Shroud as well as Godshackle on the 2 crypteks. I'm hoping to get close and personal ASAP with the Nightbringer. :)

I confess I haven't even used the C'tan this codex because the powers are so bloody random.

Offline Rampart

« Reply #11 on: May 7, 2015, 11:47:15 PM »

The C'tan beat the Wraithknight in CC? Did I read that correctly?

I have a 'fun' game coming up tomorrow, I'm fielding a Mephrit with the Burning Conclave and using a Shroud as well as Godshackle on the 2 crypteks. I'm hoping to get close and personal ASAP with the Nightbringer. :)

I confess I haven't even used the C'tan this codex because the powers are so bloody random.

The Nightbringer is your go-to C'tan for melee. Check his stats and you'll see that high toughness means nothing to him. Add in the wraiths with their hyperdimesional claws and they can put a lot of wounds on a shooty knight while laughing off his initial attacks. Can't remember if the knight has an invulnerable save, but if it does my opponent failed all of them.
« Last Edit: May 8, 2015, 01:13:33 AM by Grand Master Lomandalis »

Offline prot

• Prot ZA113
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2015, 03:13:30 PM »
I ended up playing the Wraithknight with my Grey Knights.

Forget it... a C'tan should never make it to CC with this thing. Why your opponent would even let a C'tan in CC with you is beyond me... I mean I just played my Nightbringer, and I randomly drew the worst powers every turn. It was gross...

He just kept backing away and shooting the Nightbringer with tanks... until it popped harmlessly. It caused Zero wounds all game.

I am trying the transcendent C'tan with a lock (mephrit) this week for more 'fun'.

Truly, the Wraiths are just so much better, faster, deadlier... 'reliable'. I put the C'tan in the same category as the Obelisk. A scary -looking- unit.