News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Playing a 1.5k game against Crons Need to know what to expect  (Read 4835 times)

Offline Gal'rgae Neverborne

• Armies: Eldar, Deathwing, Daemons
Playing a 1.5k game against Crons Need to know what to expect
« on: February 11, 2015, 05:21:56 PM »
Hey Fellas,

As the post states i've got a game against Crons with my Eldar and i've not played them since their original Dex so I have no idea how they work or what to watch out for, can anyone help?

Offline Radec

• Armies: Chaos Daemons, Genestealer Cults (soon, yess soon)
Re: Playing a 1.5k game against Crons Need to know what to expect
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 06:10:08 AM »
 Well, in short expect the following things:
1. Less shanenigans. No more cryptek teleporting squads etc. Crypteks now boost Reanimation protocols.
2. The army is still slow moving but is now EXTREMELY tough. As a friend remarked, you're literally fighting against undying robots that are advancing slowly against you.
3. Depending on the chosen formations, you can most probably expect a half chance of successful RP armywide. Wraiths are now even more bothersome than before with their spyder formation.
4. Necrons are as before kind of weak in CC, but now it is much more difficult to sweep them - RP happen at the moment of a failed save so you may end up inflicting no casualties at all.
Prepare for an interesting match.

Offline Wyldhunt

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2015, 01:36:31 AM »
I watched my dreadnaught and my buddy's terminators fail to bring down a a single 'cron in melee the other day.  The dread was destroyed, a terminator killed, and the terminators got swept.  Later, my own terminators lost 4 bodies on the charge against a 10 man 'cron squad.  This was pretty bad luck, but beware! New 'crons are arguably tougher than before! 

They're also not *that* slow moving if he's loading them up into the transport flyers, so don't plan too heavily on being able to kite them. That said, kite them!  They're at least moderately effective against pretty much every type of target in the game from infantry to MCs to vehicles, but they're also mostly rocking a 24" (maybe 36" for destroyers) range.  Toss night spinners at them.  Their low initiative means you'll be reducing their reanimation power by 1 step.  Toss prisms at them.  You'll ignore their armor and have a chance of hurting 'liths.  I'd say toss serpents at them, but I don't advocate serpent spam. 

'Crons are basically unchanged from before with the following broad changes:
*Their over-the-top stuff got nerfed, but only just enough to bring them in line. 
*Their melee stuff became usable.
*They got slightly tougher to kill, and melee is no longer a great way to bring them down.
*They can now threaten MCs with their basic units.

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2015, 06:47:06 AM »
Any weakness that can be exploited, any single points of failure?

Offline Kaiju Senso

• Necrontyr Warrior
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Necrons, Guard, Tau, Marines
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2015, 11:00:04 PM »
If you haven't played against Necrons since their 3rd edition codex then you'll need to watch out for the mighty Tesla Destructor mounted on Nightscythes and Annihilation Barges. These were very very common in the 5th edition codex and I don't see them going away in 7th. You'll have to deal with many med-high strength hits so this paired with everything else having Gauss, weak vehicles and infantry should fall quickly.

Monoliths are not used much anymore and don't put out as much firepower.

Warriors have a high armor skimmer transport too so slow blocks moving across the board is a thing of the past.

Wraiths are very tough and dangerous in this codex so watch out for those as well.

The 7th edition codex looks very well balanced and the new book hasn't been out long enough to know what to expect. All Necrons have very low initiative,  a much more frequent "we'll be back" , and all of the vehicles have medium to high armor values.

Offline Rampart

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2015, 10:34:12 AM »
Necron HQs are absolute beasts in close combat. Properly outfitted they will butcher Phoenix Lords, Avatars, and whole squads of Banshees.

Necrons do not care who goes first in CC. They're made to take those light str hits and then pound you right before powerfists.

If you see s a special character named Trayzn, keep your large units away from him at all costs.

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2015, 12:37:40 PM »
Alright so far i'm they're basically impossible to kill and don't even send you're best CC units in against their basic troops. - It sounds like I might as well not even bother deploying any units..

Any vulnerabilities that can be exploited or is the Cron codex simply unstoppable cheese?   

Offline Kaiju Senso

• Necrontyr Warrior
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Necrons, Guard, Tau, Marines
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2015, 01:39:55 PM »
No no no it's not nearly unstoppable as you seem to have been led to believe. Reanimation protocols is very similar to Feel No Pain but without the drawbacks, hitting back in combat is no better then standard tactical marines until you run into actual close combat units. Howling banshees will take care of Warriors and Immortals without issue, it might just take a little longer to finish the squad off.

Against land vehicles, penetrate their armor and their shields will fall, that will make the vehicle easier to hurt.

In a 1000 point game last week I was run over by a unit of Thunderwolves, my decked out Destroyer Lord was wiped out in the first round of combat because he didn't have enough attacks against the Wolf Lord. Then Of course poor invuln and reanimation rolls.

Offline Slick Samos

• Que!!
  • Armies: Tau, Dark Angels & Salamanders
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2015, 06:06:48 PM »
I've heard that one of their weaknesses is lack of long range weapons ... as in most of their weapons have a maximum range of 24" ... would be more helpful if you were playing Guard, but perhaps worth keeping in mind?  Perhaps  by out ranging you can force them to come to you, which'll make it easier to get into assault...  So perhaps aiming for either Turn 3 or 4 where all your force comes onto them as opposed to Turn 2 or 3?

Slick Samos
Play more games, paint more models...

Offline Rampart

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2015, 11:27:16 PM »
I'd say our biggest weakness is mobility. Not speed, we can move fast, but turning the army around once it starts heading somewhere is dam hard. Ghostarks can only carry warriors, and you can't currently get back in nightscythes once you get out.

So if you were to deploy first, put your entire army in one corner. On say turn two zip most of your force to the other edge. You're Eldar, this is your stock and trade. Leave something long range like a fire prism behind. That'll make him agonize on whether to turn everyone around, or still send some units after the pie plate sniper.

If he has a monolith mid field or in reserve, take it out asap. Its the one thing that can pull those straggling units back into the game. Wraithguard and Fire Dragons are made for this job, just don't expect them to survive the next round.

And use your psychic powers. And then use them again. We have no psykers so we generally just have to take whatever you dish out.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 11:32:45 PM by Rampart »

Offline Wyldhunt

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2015, 12:00:32 PM »
They definitely don't seem unbeatable. You just can't really wipe them out with the same flourish we normally do.  You just have to keep hitting them and hitting them until they stay down.  I'd be squeamish about assaulting them because it's very hard to finish them off in a single assault, and eldar (aside from scorpions) are sort of vulnerable to return attacks. 

The biggest downside to 'crons that I've seen is that their guns are largely short-ranged. This means you'll get a turn or two of shooting in before they really become a threat.  There are a couple of ways to handle this.  Either concentrate your fire and keep shooting the same unit until it's gone (thus preventing him from spawning replacement models for damaged units) or concentrate on taking down as many quantum shields first turn as you can, and then cripple his vehicles. 

Also, if you've been itching to use your dark reapers, necrons are a great target for them.  Their launchers can crack open quantum shielding and clear out swaths of infantry alike.  Their ability to deny jink means they can even take a stab at flyers in a pinch, though you'll want to guide them if you're going to gamble on that.

Offline prot

• Infinity Circuit | KoN Veteran
  • Prot ZA113
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2015, 09:21:21 AM »
It's definitely a different era.

Beware the Decurion for the 4+ RP. But be aware of the mini-formations like the Canoptek Harvest. Many of these smaller formations do rely on a single unit for a special ability. So in the case of the Canoptek Harvest, try to kill the Spyder to neuter the special abilities of that formation.

The Necrons work best together. Play a Maelstrom mission for best results. Remember with Decurion they won't have ObSec.

They don't fade like they used to but I'd say the composition has also changed a lot.