News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Royal court lord OR vengeance weapon battery fortification?  (Read 2280 times)

Offline rumple

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
  • Armies: necrons
Question for all you necron players. What do you think is more useful, a necron Lord with warscythe / weave / scarab OR a vengeance weapon battery with quad icarus lascannon OR if I can find the points a battlecannon? The Lord would be put with a 5 man immortal squad. The weapon battery is automated so would fire each turn at the nearest unit hitting on 5's or can be negated when using a battlecannon and is the AV of a landraider. The Lord would give the unit survivability against AP3 shots, close combat killing ability with the scythe and EVERYONE hates scarab of course ;)  the immortals are always in a night scythe and could spend the entire game in the scythe should no viable use other than scoring come up during a game otherwise I tend to drop them out with my other immortal unit which is joined by a haywire cryptic for landraider killing ;)

I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Offline Kaiju Senso

• Necrontyr Warrior
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Necrons, Guard, Tau, Marines
Re: Royal court lord OR vengeance weapon battery fortification?
« Reply #1 on: July 6, 2014, 07:57:04 PM »
I have a hard time justifying expensive character models, especially when attached to smaller units, and even more especially if they'll just be sitting in a transport most of the game. Also we need to take a look at the list that one of these weapon batteries would fit into.

It sounds like you take multiple Night Scythes which lead me to believe you are probably fine for anti-air weaponry. Does the rest of your army plan on being right in the face of the enemy? If so maybe a poor ballistic skill Battlecannon would do more harm then good.

Perhaps your best option could be replacing the small unit of Immortals and this Lord with another Harbinger of the Storm (love them) and a larger unit of Warriors? More shots, more possibilities for glancing hits. Vehicles should be popular once again and Necrons love to laugh in their face. This combination also works well against infantry because of the number of shots still fired.