News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1k list for a new player  (Read 2491 times)

Offline faitherun (Fay-ith-er-run)

• Armies: Pointy Ears and bugs
1k list for a new player
« on: February 2, 2014, 03:22:30 PM »
So I am teaching some new players the game. They have a relatively good understanding of all the rules except for flyers - so no flyers are allowed.

The biggest issue they have is with making decent army lists - so I have made some for them. Here is my idea of a 'Cron 1k list. Please feel free to C&C

135 pts – Overlord with Sempiternal weave and Resurrection Orb

100 pts – Royal court; Lord with a Resurrection Orb and a Cryptek with a voltaic staff and lightning field
   The lord will attach to the other unit of warriors. The Cryptek will go with the unit of Deathmarks. This allows them to have a slight deterrence to being charged, as well as some anti-tank via the voltaic staff

232 pts – 9 warriors, mounted in a Ghost Arc
232 pts – 9 warriors, mounted in a Ghost Arc

95 pts – 5 Deathmarks

45 pts – 3 scarabs

160 pts – 3 Spyders, one with a Fabricator Array
So, what your saying is it's not your fault you look stupid by using words you don't get?
Flawless logic.

Offline Milford Cubicle

• Might I enquire about your spoons?
  • Armies: Necrons, Tyranids, Blood Angels
Re: 1k list for a new player
« Reply #1 on: February 5, 2014, 10:54:01 AM »
You have a lot of points invested in Res Orbs for Warrior squads. I wouldn't bother with them, as most of the time your Warriors will be within those Ghost Arks and safe from harm. Even after the Arks are destroyed, most enemies probably have enough firepower to remove enough of the squad for it to be a real threat, even with 4+ WBB. I'd give the Overlord the "classic" Warscythe, Weave & Mindshackle Scarabs, so he's a pretty good deterrent for most melee threats. The other Lord I'd let go, he's probably not going to pull his weight. With those points you could fit in an Annihilation Barge, for example.

There's a problem with the Cryptek joining the Deathmarks. He cannot Deep Strike, so the squad cannot do so either. Also adding anti-tank to Deathmarks seems like a waste, as their preferred targets vary so much.

Add the Cryptek to a Warrior squad instead, they work great together :). The weapons of the Warriors, Ghost Ark and Cryptek all have similar strength and can glace vehicles.

All in all a pretty solid list. I've had pretty good success with Spyders' Fabricator Claws in some games, while in others they don't get to do anything :D. But if they're keeping my vehicles moving/shooting just one turn longer than otherwise, I think they're worth it.
Strange movements at the graveyard detected... Is the Necron board coming back to life?!

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
Re: 1k list for a new player
« Reply #2 on: February 6, 2014, 05:17:14 AM »
List is nice and playable but my add in here would be just take 1 HQ. Load him out but flood the field with troops. Lots of warriors and maybe an immortal squad to put the overlord in. Guass weapons are so versitile. Also if this is for learning games, a more toned down list would probably be better to teach with especially at 1k. Giving the learners a chance to learn what each unit is capable of. Throw in some wraiths, maybe a Annilation barge, just make it well rounded. If you are just going for blood then, yes, by all means the list you have is great but Milford's ideas are on point.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword