News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Back to the Catacomb Command Barge  (Read 2626 times)

Offline Idaho

Back to the Catacomb Command Barge
« on: January 18, 2014, 05:55:14 PM »
Some of you may remember I started a topic regarding the Catacomb Command Barge a while ago (is it really a year?) where I worried about its effectiveness in this edition. Well I don't mind saying I might have been wrong.

As 6th edition has moved on, we see the game being dominated (some have said ruined) by the inclusion of Eldar and Tau S7 spam, hiding at the back and in armies with units which are going to punish deep striking. How are we going to combat such a affront of nature?

Well it seems like an AV13 focus would be useful in today's game, with a bit of pace and tenacity behind it. I use Wraiths with a Destroyer Lord, which is a worry for those Eldar and Tau armies so will get focused for sure. I'm adding a Command Barge with an Overlord with a Sempiternal Weave and Phase Shifters so I can keep up the pressure. And if I have these units soaking attention I can move my Ghost Arks up the table keep firing my Annihilation Barges.

Oh and the idea of charging into assault with it isn't so scary as it has the benefit of Quantum Shielding. After all a penetrating hit is pretty terminal for an open topped Skimmer anyway.

So has anyone else found this vehicle to be successful against those evil armies out there? And I regard a win as a success even if it dies, as long as its death meant something else won you that game!

Oops forgot that Quantum Shielding doesn't work for the rear. Still think it's a useful vehicle but instead as an Assault platform like in last edition. Unfortunately we can't charge like we used to (12" theb disembark) but still.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 03:10:06 PM by Idaho »

Offline rumple

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
  • Armies: necrons
Re: Back to the Catacomb Command Barge
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 05:13:30 PM »
Hell yes, I use one in all my games but I never take the weave as the chariot rules already give you the bonus to your save. I also take the shifter for that all important survivability whilst on the barge and when it eventually breaks. I always take the warscythe so when he sweep attacks he is pretty much destroying whatever he passes over. He is just a brilliant unit to turbo boost into the opponents deployment screaming come deal with me if you can taking focus off the rest of my army.

I have a question though, if you jump off the chariot to be on foot for whatever reason, is the barge destroyed or can you climb back on at a later time as you would a dedicated transport?  ;D

Thank you

Offline Idaho

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2014, 05:52:50 PM »
It's a normal vehicle so you can always hop back into it.

I'd go with the Weave so I can guarantee the decent save at all times.

Offline Kaiju Senso

• Necrontyr Warrior
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Necrons, Guard, Tau, Marines
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 06:58:34 PM »
The Catacomb Command Barge has been a stable in almost all of my games of 6th edition (which sadly hasn't been in quite a long time due to moving away from my usual gaming group)

I like to save points by not using the Weave but will splurge on the Phase Shifter if it isn't dire to use the points elsewhere.

A point to note is if you assault into combat with it, the Overlord can still be picked out, and he'll be all alone. This can be a problem if you choose the wrong enemy. Mind Shackle Scarabs can help this weakness but it's no replacement for poor strategy!