News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Eldar Corsairs, Pre-Heresy Dark Angels + World Eaters  (Read 330638 times)

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
Re: Eldar Corsairs, Pre-Heresy Dark Angels + World Eaters
« Reply #1600 on: November 23, 2017, 06:37:36 AM »
All future victories will be untainted, this I swear!

You think you can win a clean fight?  ;)
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #1601 on: November 24, 2017, 01:41:26 PM »
@Looshkin- When you least expect it... the counter-burn will be coming. AKA I can't think of a good comeback now. But it'll involve me playing games and you not... if I can make something funny out of that... which I probably cant

@Everybody- Looshkin's black treachery aside... I've got a massive update for you guys. Unfortunatley its very little of mine... but it was so cool I just had to share. So my latest commission if ALL of the Triumvirates plus Magnus and Mortarion. I'm just about done with all the Triumvirates... just Cawl and one of the Gemenae left and then its on to the big boys. So here they are check them out!

IMG_7364 by Eldar Cavalier, on Flickr

IMG_7367 by Eldar Cavalier, on Flickr

IMG_7264 by Eldar Cavalier, on Flickr

IMG_7369 by Eldar Cavalier, on Flickr

IMG_7374 by Eldar Cavalier, on Flickr

hires1 by Eldar Cavalier, on Flickr

IMG_7399 by Eldar Cavalier, on Flickr

IMG_7400 by Eldar Cavalier, on Flickr

IMG_7403 by Eldar Cavalier, on Flickr

hires2 by Eldar Cavalier, on Flickr

My favorite has to be Cypher, Celestine and the Gemenae. I'm real happy with how they came out. They paint up super quick using that Retributor Primer. Just been a joy to work on. Can't wait to do Magnus... using the primer and sub-assembly he should paint up super quick. Mortarion should be interesting... not sure how I'm gonna approach him but I'm really looking forward to seeing him in person.

IMG_7393 by Eldar Cavalier, on Flickr

IMG_7397 by Eldar Cavalier, on Flickr

IMG_7398 by Eldar Cavalier, on Flickr

Anyway here is some of the stuff I've been working on for myself. This was the 3rd and final unit of Rangers to round out the battalion for my Shadowstrike Warband. I lost 2 of their backpacks a long time ago so I had to improvise something and I think they look pretty cool. Also did squad markings for all 3 units which was fun. I opted for little red rings on their guns... got the inspiration from the old Falcon Grav-tank art I keep referencing. Anyway hope you guys like them. Stay tuned because a 100% cheating free bat-rep is coming up soon! Re-match against Mike's IG with loads of characters and spammed out Conscripts so stay tuned! (especially Looshkin)
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #1602 on: November 24, 2017, 02:16:06 PM »
Holy beslubberballs! What an update!

I love that Cypher. I'm quite amazed by what a terrific job you've done on the cloak whilst only using 3 layers of painting. Seriously sweet work to be able to pull that off so effectively when constrained by the client's pay scale. It helps that Cypher is easily one of the coolest minis out of any of the Triumvirate sets, but you've done him justice and then some. Having looked at your Flikr account, I think the back of Cypher is possibly even better. The cloak is brilliant.

Celestine and her Geminae are superb. What colour did you use for the flesh Cav? They are wonderfully pale without looking...ill? The white hair on the Geminae is striking and really draws the eye in nicely. One question though, how come the Geminae have script on their purity seals while Celestine doesn't? Is it the paid standard that precludes the work or client wishes? The armour is lovely and rich, while the wings of Celestine are a wonderful contrast. How did you find painting the crevices where each wing fin meets? I thought they were a outrageously sexy lycra-clad pixie to paint. A proper outrageously sexy lycra-clad pixie.

Greyfax, Voldus and the Eldar are all brilliantly executed. It actually makes me want to paint Greyfax...something I never thought I'd say. Gully's sword is really nice as well.

I'm not a huge fan of the colour scheme for the Yncarne. I just feel that the teal elements don't fit as well as they might, but I think a lot of that has to do with the limitations of the contract...more blending would provide a smoother finish and therefore a less jarring result. Don't get me wrong, the painting is still of excellent standard, it's just frustrating to see your painting hampered by the brief.

As for your own Eldar...I'm loving those makeshift back packs. They really are great and very fitting for your corsair style army.

All in all Cav, this update is a triumph. You have certainly been a busy boy (Busy painting, not busy learning rules and whatnot) Cav. You have a seriously lucky client there.

Thanks for sharing.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #1603 on: November 24, 2017, 04:07:54 PM »
They all fantastic as always Cav, but what colours did you use on the gyrix?

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #1604 on: November 24, 2017, 05:01:39 PM »
How do you do the flesh on your Eldar?

Offline SeekingOne

• Exarch
  • May Hoeth guide our ways...
  • Armies: Eldar (Saim-Hann), Space Wolves
« Reply #1605 on: November 24, 2017, 05:12:33 PM »
Great update Cav! Especially love Voldus, he looks almost like a shot from a movie.
I fight against Chaos and for Order, because it means fighting for Life against Death. There is no other battle truly worth fighting.

"If it's not for a tournament then play whatever it is that you like. Without the pressure of having to utterly destroy your opponent it opens up alot more opportunity to have fun." - Lazarus

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #1606 on: November 24, 2017, 06:47:04 PM »
Niiiiice!
Can't top what has already been said about your painting skills, Cavalier. Both the commissions and your own project look Micky Mouse.

Am more impressed with your photography though. Everything comes out so crisp and you don't lose anything with the colours. Celestine actually looks like she has a glow about her. Pure magic. Thanks for sharing/inspiring... Pointy ears forever!! 

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #1607 on: November 25, 2017, 05:55:36 AM »
Those Rangers are so sleek.  The black and crimson combination gives them that sinister assassin feel, which is so apt for their infiltration ability.  A really impressive execution of that colour scheme.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #1608 on: November 25, 2017, 09:55:07 AM »
@Looshkin- Thanks bud.  Really appreciate your compliments on Cypher... damn is that model cool. I wish they'd just wrap up the whole "Fallen" storyline once and for all so I know if I can include him in my army (rant restrained). Thanks about the cloak too... putting bone over that black wasn't easy but I'm happy with how it came out so big time thanks on that. As for the skin I use Celestra Grey then Pallid Wych Flesh with a healthy Reikland Flesh over it and just a touch of clean up with the Pallid Wych Flesh. The Reikland really gives it some warmth... learned that doing my Yvraine. Doing the sort of crevasses between the wings wasn't too tough. I use a real thinned down Fenris Grey (or was it Calgar blue???) Lahmian medium and so any overlap with the wings was easily cleaned up. Although I found to my horror, the white wasn't a pure white on the wings so I had to mix some Celestra/White super quick but luckily I matched it right away and because I was pretty neat on the shading it cleaned up super quick and easy. Dodge a bullet because the last time it was nightmare doing Celestine with yellow wings. 

Yeah I hear you on the Yncarne... but my marching orders were match the GW paint scheme with a 2 highlight scheme so  ::) ... not easy. In the end I had to do a bunch of blending just to get the hair to mesh with the purple... but that was as far as I could go (and it was probably beyond what I should of done). Yeah I've painted about 4 or 5 Yncarnes now and none of them are how I'd paint them... but it was fun doing the pink and purple at least!

Also glad you dig the Rangers. I was tearing my hair out trying to find those back packs but I came up with a neat subsitute so I'm glad you like them. Also here's the finished Celestine! I didn't realize I uploaded the older photos. Anyway thanks so much bud and now I'm off to read the rule book!  ;D ;D ;D

IMG_7405 by Eldar Cavalier, on Flickr

IMG_7406 by Eldar Cavalier, on Flickr

IMG_7407 by Eldar Cavalier, on Flickr

@Magenb- Hey Mage thanks so much bud. Yeah the Gyrnix is Thousand Sons Blue (fantastic color), Aehriman Blue with Temple Guard as the final highlight. Super easy. Those colors are must have... I use them all the time. Anyway thanks bud!

@Partninja- Hey Ninja, super easy combo. Celestra Grey for the base, Pallid Wych Flesh with Reikland Flesh Wash... then clean up with Pallid Wych Flesh. You can do the same thing using Kislev Flesh as well which I use on most of my Lions of Asuryan. Hope it helps!

@Saim-Dann- Thanks as always my friend. Real glad you like the photography... in terms of lighting Just an overhead lamp and light from the window and I just adjust the contrast a bit to keep it real to life. I also use an old iphone so I'm not sure if thats a good camera or not but its served me well. Anyway thanks bud... and of course... Pointy Ears Forever! lol  ;D

@Irisado- Thanks so much Irisado. I'm real happy I went with that scheme not only is it fun to paint (because its different from my regular stuff) but its turned out well in terms of playing the game as well for distinguishing detachments. Really glad you like it... looking forward to adding some stuff to this particular Warhost in the future just for the sake of the color scheme. Anyway thanks Irisado always look forward to your awesome feedback.

@Everybody- Well guys I'm doing my Splintermind Craftworld Eldar review in just a bit. I'll make sure to post a link when its uploaded. Also we're gonna record an "outro" for the episodes and I'm gonna mentioned the forum and my FB so hopefully we'll get some new members here. Also keep an eye out for some updates on my Dark Angels. Got a mini refit planned (and my eye on some FW purchases as soon as I'm done with the World Eaters!) Anyway stay tuned guys and talk soon!

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #1609 on: November 29, 2017, 06:41:02 PM »
Lovely work Cav :) I'm continually impressed by how good even your lower-tier commissions look. Something about the CEL-shading style seems to work nicely even with limited highlights. Oh, and I think I've decided that the way you do cloaks and robes is my favourite touch. It's in those that the CEL-shaded style really stands out :)

Absolutely love the work on Celestine's scrolls too.

Oh, and I'm glad someone else thinks that teal and purple as a combo is jarring. That's always been my first instinct whenever I see it. I can definitely see how it's very striking, but it just always struck me as a little odd...

Perhaps that's the point?
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #1610 on: December 1, 2017, 07:59:31 AM »
@Ynneadwraith- Hey bud... thanks so much my friend. Yeah its my love of art and animation that usually carries the day with my painting. Very glad you dig my style... so thanks as always bud. Also yeah... I really do not like or understand the official paint scheme of the Yncarne. The cover art of Gathering Storm II seems to make a whole lot more sense thematically... but if you even look at other "ghostly" type models like Vampire Counts and the like... you think they'd have gone with something like that. I know thats what I'm gonna do when I get my Yncarne all painted up. Can't wait to have the Avatar and the Yncarne at the table at the same time (in a narrative game of course). Anyway thanks so much bud glad you like this stuff and totally agree with you on the Yncarne

@Everybody- Hey guys just a super quick update... I'm almost done with all the Triumvirates. I think Cawl needs about an hour's worth of work and I'll be done. Then on to Magnus and Mortarion... I'll take some photos of that after the whole project is done.

After I get my payout I'm gonna pick up the remaining 3 units for my World Eaters and my first ever non-Eldar army will be complete. Then on to Dark Angels... and in preparation of that... I've begun some minor refits on my Sgts. Combi-Plasmas and Power Swords across the board. My tacticals 2x10 1x5 are gonna be geared up up for close range action... I've got an extremely hard-hitting list prepared which should be very compatible with the new book. To be honest this is the army I'm most excited to play at the moment. I'm dying to play AGAINST the World Eaters with my Eldar, but the army I really am looking forward to learning and mastering is my Dark Angels.

Anyway check it out guys

IMG_7454 by Eldar Cavalier, on Flickr

IMG_7459 by Eldar Cavalier, on Flickr

IMG_7460 by Eldar Cavalier, on Flickr

Also for those new to the Project Logs, I paint my Dark Angels in their heresy colors and obviously use all the heresy era wargear (for the most part). My personal fluff the Dark Angels changed their armor back to black as some kind of cryptic symbolism regarding the return of Guilliman/bitterness that the Lion got passed over by GW in Gathering Storm 3 lol...

Anyway hope you guys enjoy. Take care and talk soon.

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #1611 on: December 2, 2017, 07:18:52 AM »
G'day Cavalier!
Nice additions there, mate. I too am looking forward to seeing your DA finished. It was with this army you introduced yourself to me on SS82 and have been keen to see them in action ever since... Pointy ears forever!!

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #1612 on: December 3, 2017, 03:41:35 AM »
Cool additions Cav. I'm liking your Heresy era paint work for Dark Angels. I prefer the green GW scheme...but I think that's only because I know that I can highlight green, whereas I struggle more with black. It's a testament to your skill that you pull it off so effectively. Those power swords are really striking.

Now hurry up and post the rest of your commission. I've taken a peek at Belisarius and I think folk around here are going to love him (Wasn't he fun to paint too? One of my favourite models so far. Although he'll never be Doomwheel fun...).

Cracking stuff Cav, keep it rolling!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #1613 on: December 3, 2017, 07:46:58 AM »
@Saim-Dann- Thanks so much my friend. That was a fateful encounter back on SS82's comments section. Now Lion & Wolf are rampaging across the forums lol  ;D ;D ;D Just wait till you see some of the cool stuff inbound for these guys.... this is a project I've been waiting to make a reality for nigh on a decade. Expect some Eldar level dedication to these guys once I get the ball rolling. Anyway thanks so much my friend.

@Looshkin- Thanks so much man. Yeah I love painting the all black armies... no shading necessary! lol Glad you dig the swords too... its awesome how all the fun stuff is so freaking cheap now. Really brings the armies to life for me.

But ask and you shall receive my friend. Here comes Cawl and thanks for the kind words on him my friend. He certainly was fun to paint

IMG_7470 by Eldar Cavalier, on Flickr

IMG_7473 by Eldar Cavalier, on Flickr

IMG_7471 by Eldar Cavalier, on Flickr

IMG_7474 by Eldar Cavalier, on Flickr

IMG_7475 by Eldar Cavalier, on Flickr

So with Cawl finished the Triumvirate Crew is complete! After finishing this lot... my god how fun would it be to play an Apocalypse game with all of these characters on the same side!? Especially with Magnus and Mortarion (who are next for me to paint on this project) rivaling them? Legendary!!! Some day I will get all this stuff for myself with a squad or two of Ultramarines to go with Guilliman, Grey Knights for Voldus, etc. etc.

This has probably been my most favorite project I've had so far... just having all these guys in the house has been really inspiring.

Also for some bonus round action

IMG_7466 by Eldar Cavalier, on Flickr

The last Ranger. I'm so glad I've got this guy in the collection. Such a great sculpt... I've got the Bonesinger waiting for some paint as well, but I'm gonna wait on him till I get my next lot of World Eaters stuff at which point I'll airbrush them all together.

Anyway guys... I've got Magnus waiting for paint at the moment and Mortarion up next. Hope you all enjoyed. Stay tuned.... more to come soon!
« Last Edit: December 3, 2017, 07:49:45 AM by Cavalier »

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #1614 on: December 3, 2017, 09:05:53 AM »
Oh, my!
When I look at the Triumvirate crew, I'm reminded of the last podcast with Lawrence Baker. I wouldn't even throw the dice. Crikey Moses, I wouldn't even have unpacked my models.

I like the scout, hiding behind the weeds, and Cawl?... Niiiiice! 

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #1615 on: December 3, 2017, 10:06:02 AM »
Cawl looks wicked Cav. I like the little splashes of colour you've added in the bright greens, blues, and yellows for cables and tubes and whatnots. It really helps break up the model which could be just a sea of metallics.

The collection of heroes in that group shot is staggering. That would be a whole lot of egos marshalling on one side of the battlefield. They'd be spending so much time posturing that Magnus and Mortarion would just roll over them.

Offline Orange

« Reply #1616 on: December 3, 2017, 07:39:59 PM »
Really outstanding Cav.

My favourite out of all that is the black ranger. Huge models with a lot of detail may be more time consuming but are easier in some ways, as you are guided where to paint. That ranger is such a simple model, but the way you've painted it gives it so much presence and character.

I've always skipped trying to paint black as I never seen it painted well, but you've made me want to give it a go!

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #1617 on: December 3, 2017, 07:43:48 PM »
That description of Ynnari painted in the vein of Vampire Counts ghostly ethereal stuff has got me itching to see you paint your own! I hope that where the proceeds for all these commissions are heading ;)

Dark Angels are looking excellent man :) if there's anything that you've got absolutely 100% nailed (and there's many things), it's bladed weapons that look like they've just been pulled form a forge.

Cawl's downright stunning as well, and the Triumvirate of Triumvirates is a phenomenal achievement :) what I want to know is how long it took! It feels like I've painted half a dozen crows in the time it's taken you to cover 20x the surface area (and a lot more detail!) ;)

I'm also a massive fan of that particular Ranger sculpt. In fact, all of the Ranger models are excellent. One of the few Finecast/metal kits for eldar that I don't lament not being in plastic because they're so good.

Can't wait to see your Bonesinger as I love that sculpt too. So much I bought two of them! Perhaps that should be my next model ;)
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #1618 on: December 4, 2017, 07:35:10 AM »
@Saim-Dann- lol... I hear you bud, even in an Apocalypse game this would be crazy to come up against. Of course I'd be fighting along side the good guys so I'd love it! lol Anyway thanks bud glad you like them  ;D

@Dog of War- lol... thats funny man. Well if MY Visarch was there he'd get them straightened out and pointed in the right direction... Path of Command and all that. lol Anyway thanks on Cawl bud. He was a beast to paint but fun glad you like all the little splash colors. I felt like they really added a lot. Always appreciate your feedback bud. Let me know when those transfers reach you!

@Orange- Hey bud thanks so much! Really glad you like the Ranger best of all... I actually do too! I painted him up as a reward to myself for finishing all the Triumvirates and I was in prime form to do so. I just love the Ranger sculpts especially this one... he really has a lot of character. Just the simple thing of him picking up that runic necklace (and the fallen spirit stone I added) is a nice piece of visual story telling.

Also that awesome about wanting to paint some all black units. Eshin Grey is one of GW's great gifts to humanity... its just the best color to work with. Its so close to black... but stands out just enough. Hit it with just a second highlight of Dawnstone and you are good to go. Personally I find it very easy... I actually thought everyone was gonna bust my chops for taking the easy way out painting my Dark Angels and my Alaitoc dudes in all black but its been totally the opposite. But seriously just get yourself some Eshin Grey and let a rip I'm telling you its easier than you'd expect! Anyway thanks Orange love your feedback as I admire your painting skills to death! Thanks!

@Ynneadwraith- Hey bud. Yes! I really want to paint up the Yncarne too... I've been thinking on how to do it for a long time and yeah I'm gonna do it Vampire Counts style super ghostly astral being type thing. I'm dying to add one to the collection... plus I want to paint up the proper Y'vraine model in the colors I painted my kitbash, and have a helmeted Visarch so I can represent them in either outfit lol.

Thanks on the Dark Angels I'm so stoked for their codex... and like I said they are the army more than any other I'm dying to play at the moment. Especially with the models I have in mind. I actually just got a shipment of bits the other day... can't say what for but you guys will see in the months to come.

About the Triumviate... thats funny man. There is actually a quota each month I have to reach in terms of output so I try to knock it out as quickly as possible. Plus I've painted nearly all these models before (I'm on my 5th Guilliman!) so that really helps. Plus their is a lot of repetition in terms of colors... especially the bone and red so I'm just replicating the same techniques over and over which is great! But if I was painting up my own guys I'd go much slower. It takes me like a week to paint up 5 to 10 guys of my own. Anyway thanks so much bud always love your great feedback. 

@Everyone- Thanks for the great feedback guys. Always inspiring... working on Magnus now... so I'll share that when I'm done. Sadly other than my Bonesinger I'm out of models of my own... but stay tuned I've got a good battle coming up this weekend. Bat-rep will be soon to follow. Talk soon!

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #1619 on: December 4, 2017, 08:21:11 AM »
Quik question, Cavalier!
Does Guiliman only hang with Ultra Marines or can any chapter wield him?