News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: If you suddenly found yourself in the 40K universe..  (Read 10701 times)

Offline Heretek

• General Freyberg | Out, damn'd Grot! | Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
Re: If you suddenly found yourself in the 40K universe..
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2008, 03:02:40 AM »
Again, I recall something about requiring deeds, or bonds to own a ship, but I can't remember where I recall it from...

I seem to remember a similar comment.  Perhaps it's from Ravenor, since it focuses on Rogue Traders a fair amount?

Actually, I think it's one of the Eisenhorn novels. I'll have a flip through, see what I can find.

Offline Janek Sunber

• Any job worth doing is worth dying for.
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2008, 03:41:29 AM »
I wish like... the whole world maybe changed to the 40k universe. I know the phrase "Careful what you wish for"... but, honestly, it might be fun ;D

Besides, everyone else in the world who ever took the mick outta 40k would be absolutely pwned. Us gamers would know how everything works, and everyone else would be like: "Help us! We're sorry we took the piss!" and we'd be like: "No, go join the imperial army or navy!" and they'd be like... "Wha? You're such nerds, you know this stuff!" and we could shoot them with a bolter or something ;D

And for those of us who'd read all the books and stuff would know exactly how to apply for Stormtrooper training, or become space marines... or how to worship Slaanesh or something ;D If you ask me... I think it'd be slightly fun. The sense of adventure, no?

Let the auto-censor do the work for you.  You may change your preferences to view forum posts in their uncensored form.  -Mr.Peanut
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 06:04:58 PM by Mr.Peanut »
Star Wars Galaxies Character: - Caffran Cloudrunner (Stormtrooper, Server: Starsider)
                                            - Friszk Fizzlebolt (Trandoshan Warsmith, Server: Starsider)

Vassal 40k Name:                   - Caffran Cloudrunner

If you roleplay, I'm more than happy to play online with you!

Offline Irandrura

• Only mildly annoying
  • Ancient
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2008, 03:45:07 AM »
The OP asked what would you do if you 'suddenly found yourself in the 40 universe', not 'what would you like to be in the 40k universe?'

We are assuming, though, that we're going to find ourselves on an Imperial world. As opposed to appearing in deep space somewhere in the 40k universe and freezing to death even faster than we'd asphyxiate, which considering the size of the universe is statistically the most likely outcome. Unless we count the Warp, which is apparently just as large as the Materium, so we're left with something like a 50% chance of instantly dying as we appear in deep space, a 50% chance of instantly dying due to naked exposure to the Warp, and a negligibly small chance of landing somewhere survivable.

Assuming we do land on a habitable (and hopefully habited) world, I guess the first thing to do is pray that it's not a nightmare hellscape and that the ruling power has nothing against humans and has no particular reason to be otherwise hostile to you. Really, it's probably best to hope for an Imperial world, or possibly a Tau world depending on the human population there. It's better than landing on a daemon world and becoming a tortured Chaos slave for all eternity, landing on an Ork world and being crushed by the local boyz, or, even worse, Catachan.

Then, I suppose the next problem would be language. Chances are we don't speak the local language, due to thousands of years of lingustic drift, if we're lucky enough to land on a world inhabited by human descendants in the first place. On the other hand, I do know how to make up nonsense Latin phrases that sound non-specifically ominous, so I suppose I'm fluent in High Gothic. :D

Assuming the language problem is magically solved, though, then there's the immense culture shock. Even for the best of us, blending in may be difficult.

Quote from: Janek Sunber
And for those of us who'd read all the books and stuff would know exactly how to apply for Stormtrooper training, or become space marines... or how to worship Slaanesh or something  If you ask me... I think it'd be slightly fun. The sense of adventure, no?

Why does everyone go for Slaanesh? Worshipping Slaanesh is not fun. Remember Fulgrim?
The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Offline Heretek

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2008, 03:50:12 AM »
The OP asked what would you do if you 'suddenly found yourself in the 40 universe', not 'what would you like to be in the 40k universe?'

We are assuming, though, that we're going to find ourselves on an Imperial world. As opposed to appearing in deep space somewhere in the 40k universe and freezing to death even faster than we'd asphyxiate, which considering the size of the universe is statistically the most likely outcome. Unless we count the Warp, which is apparently just as large as the Materium, so we're left with something like a 50% chance of instantly dying as we appear in deep space, a 50% chance of instantly dying due to naked exposure to the Warp, and a negligibly small chance of landing somewhere survivable.

Assuming we do land on a habitable (and hopefully habited) world, I guess the first thing to do is pray that it's not a nightmare hellscape and that the ruling power has nothing against humans and has no particular reason to be otherwise hostile to you. Really, it's probably best to hope for an Imperial world, or possibly a Tau world depending on the human population there. It's better than landing on a daemon world and becoming a tortured Chaos slave for all eternity, landing on an Ork world and being crushed by the local boyz, or, even worse, Catachan.

Then, I suppose the next problem would be language. Chances are we don't speak the local language, due to thousands of years of lingustic drift, if we're lucky enough to land on a world inhabited by human descendants in the first place. On the other hand, I do know how to make up nonsense Latin phrases that sound non-specifically ominous, so I suppose I'm fluent in High Gothic. :D

Assuming the language problem is magically solved, though, then there's the immense culture shock. Even for the best of us, blending in may be difficult.

A series of fair, and well-reasoned - if long-winded - points. To which my response is:

Shut it, you.

Offline Jehan-Reznor

• The Dude in Japan
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2008, 03:54:57 AM »
Why does everyone go for Slaanesh? Worshipping Slaanesh is not fun. Remember Fulgrim?
But Fulgrim resisted his fate it is much easier when you go with the flow (or whipping ;D)

Like a corny quote, ressistance is futile :p

Well i guess a thru slaneesh follower would be like the marquis de sade to the power of 10, you do not want to be on the receiving end.  :o
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 03:56:02 AM by Jehan-Reznor »
"this can't be happening, Man!"
my projects;
http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=169427.0 budhhist space marines
http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=163611.0 Doombringer my space marine chapter
http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=150109.0 Hello Kitty Space Marine Army

Offline Janek Sunber

• Any job worth doing is worth dying for.
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2008, 08:22:20 AM »
I'd probably join the Imperial Army myself... Or the Tau, depending on which world I ended up on. I wonder if your qualifications would count towards anything in the 40k universe... probably not. A laptop computer would probably be considered a heretical item, or unsophisticated *shrug* (Though it's probably better than the rubbish technology the imperium employ).

Actually it wouldn't be a bad idea to try and be an Imperial Scientist, and come up with better ideas than the whole "Old technology and ancient designs will purge the unclean" school of thought.

And by the way we'd proably end up on Terra, because we're on Earth, and I don't see that changing any time soon.

...Finally, how come the Imperium have female loveslaves? (Reference to the Space Wolf Series "Wolfblade", where Rangar is looking at the fat bloke with the naked girls tending to him, and then later on, when they raid an asteroid and there's all those girls) I mean... they have a go at Slaanesh, but they're doing practically the same thing!
Star Wars Galaxies Character: - Caffran Cloudrunner (Stormtrooper, Server: Starsider)
                                            - Friszk Fizzlebolt (Trandoshan Warsmith, Server: Starsider)

Vassal 40k Name:                   - Caffran Cloudrunner

If you roleplay, I'm more than happy to play online with you!

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2008, 09:27:17 AM »
Given the amount of space the occupy, I'd say odds on I'd randomly appear on some Ork world, and be promptly killed by some greenskin with a tire-iron.

Provided I showed up on an Imperial World, I'd probably go back to doing what I do now--teach composition. I'm betting I could get a job for some kind of Administratum training program for scribes and such. Doesn't matter how far in the future it is, people will still need to know how to read/write.

As for the 'joining the IG/Marines/Stormtroopers/Inquisition' bit--c'mon guys, let's be realistic here. While all of us could wind up as conscripts in some IG regiment (shudder), I seriously doubt many of us could hack the stormtroopers (unless you happen to be a solider/in great physical condition already), would be accepted by the Inquisition (we're all of us heretics), or have a chance in hell of ever, ever, ever making it as a Space Marine. Their entrance exams alone would probably kill every one of us.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 09:29:33 AM by Wyddr »

Offline Heretek

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2008, 05:04:59 PM »
(Though it's probably better than the rubbish technology the imperium employ).

Rubbish technology like personal laser weapons, anti-gravity technology, and interstellar travel, you mean?

Offline Two Blades as One, Samurai Ichirou

• Old men start wars; Young boys die in them.
« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2008, 05:15:46 PM »
Sign up for the Space Marines, I'm still young enough (barely) to pull it off. If not that, bounty hunter.
Still I lay cold, my soul seeks light / my eyes are tired; my heart's last fight
Around my shell of wood and cloth / trickle sound of wound and loss.
Broken voices of tears and cry's / sorrow and love for a Nation's son's life.
Mother and Father alone in thought. / Of the bravery and pain in the battle we fought.
We move slowly we three welcomed home. / A parade of silence, hands and flags wave
Above our bodies, they gather as on, / Along this highway of heroes for two seconds of light.

Offline Fury

• Glory to the Dark Gods
« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2008, 05:22:05 PM »
I might have been wrong about the rogue trader thing. I've forgotten my fluff a bit lately. I could always hijack a ship an be a galactic outlaw. "I'm a wanted man. I'm wanted in fourteen different systems...etc..."

If I suddenly popped into the fantasy world of 40K, I would probably try to be as inconspicuous as possible. Time/reality travel and heresy might not be that far apart. Probably get a job at the plasteel factory and try to grind it out in a hive world. I'd try to find a modestly priced hab-unit, and a nice Valhallan girl to settle down with.

Come on, let us have our little fantasy. Galactic outlaw. Yeah.
Ruinous Powers - My Chaos Space Marines Blog
http://ruinouspowers.blogspot.com

Offline qwertypp7

« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2008, 05:27:13 PM »
I think a better title for this would be "What would you do if Earth (as we know it) was actually a forgotten Imperial world and they suddenly came back to reclaim it?"

Imagine it if an Imperial battlefleet suddenly appeared in orbit above Earth and demanded our fealty to the Imperium of Man... That eliminates the possibility of people appearing randomly across the 40k universe doing whatever they want. You would be you in your life which has suddenly been swallowed by the 40k universe...

Although in answer to the original question... I would try and lie low for the rest of my life unless I turned up somewhere remotely pleasant in which case I guess I would try and build a peaceful life for myself... beslubber the Guard and the Marines. I wouldn't want to join either...

Offline Two Blades as One, Samurai Ichirou

• Old men start wars; Young boys die in them.
« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2008, 05:35:39 PM »
Imagine it if an Imperial battlefleet suddenly appeared in orbit above Earth and demanded our fealty to the Imperium of Man... That eliminates the possibility of people appearing randomly across the 40k universe doing whatever they want. You would be you in your life which has suddenly been swallowed by the 40k universe...

Bush would shoot at them. And they'd blow us up. Plain and simple.
Still I lay cold, my soul seeks light / my eyes are tired; my heart's last fight
Around my shell of wood and cloth / trickle sound of wound and loss.
Broken voices of tears and cry's / sorrow and love for a Nation's son's life.
Mother and Father alone in thought. / Of the bravery and pain in the battle we fought.
We move slowly we three welcomed home. / A parade of silence, hands and flags wave
Above our bodies, they gather as on, / Along this highway of heroes for two seconds of light.

Offline Irandrura

• Only mildly annoying
  • Ancient
« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2008, 06:38:57 PM »

Hail to the Emperor. May the one true master of mankind bless and protect his loyal servant from the perils of the daemon, alien, and heretic. May he harden my heart against the lies of the unbelievers of this world, and fill me with sanctified disgust at the name of the xenos. May he bring understanding to those others, and reveal to all humans of this Earth the glories of his righteousness, that they may worship him and worthily revere his holy name. Let his blessed invasion fleet meet no resistance. Let us welcome our brothers from the stars with open arms and rejoice in the truth they bring us.

Also, I for one welcome our new Imperial overlords, and would like to remind them that as a trusted 40kO personality, I can be invaluable in rounding up others to toil in their underground plasma mines.

Offline Heretek

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2008, 06:44:35 PM »
It occurs to me that my copy of The Imperial Infantryman's Uplifting Primer will come in very handy, should that happen.

Plenty of prayers to recite.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 08:19:50 PM by Khemri, the Laughing Man »

Offline Minsc

• Ork Boy
« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2008, 08:18:38 PM »
I'd say most 40ker's that ended up in the 40kuniverse "for real", would probably quickly become high-ranked officers in the Imperial Army. Why? Becasuse we know almost anything about the 40k-universe, and most armies weakspots.

"So you're up against Eldar? Good, I know exactly what they're afraid of!"
Plastic Modell + Acetone = Ugly Conversion

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2008, 08:25:03 PM »
I'd say most 40ker's that ended up in the 40kuniverse "for real", would probably quickly become high-ranked officers in the Imperial Army. Why? Becasuse we know almost anything about the 40k-universe, and most armies weakspots.

You mean in the same manner most 40Ker's should be high ranking officers in our own nations' armies as we know even more about our own universe and most armies weakspots? That's ignoring the fact that 40K is not a realistic simulation, and was never expected to be, of warfare.

The short answer - Bwahahahahahaha!.  :)
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Irandrura

• Only mildly annoying
  • Ancient
« Reply #56 on: January 16, 2008, 08:35:52 PM »
"So you're up against Eldar? Good, I know exactly what they're afraid of!"

The army lists are so abstracted as to make our knowledge of them entirely useless when it comes to actual combat.

That said, there are things we'd know due to codices and such that most people would not, though this is coupled with incredible ignorance of more basic concerns, due to the codices' obvious focus. For example, we all know the Dark Angels' terrible secret. It's common knowledge. We know a lot of those things the Imperium likes to cover up, especially regarding Chaos.

Offline Jehan-Reznor

• The Dude in Japan
« Reply #57 on: January 16, 2008, 08:43:46 PM »
Haha most of us would be rounded up by the inquisition anyway.
I know the weak points of the eldar.
How do you know so much about these Xenos filth!
Tyranids? there is no tyranid threat! don't say these disrupting thoughts to your fellowman. Common sense? those thought lead to the path of damnation!
Most people forget that the imperium is run like the USSR during stalins reign.
too much initiative and insights only gets the intentions of the inquisition.

Ah here is my card, Torquemada from the inquisition, i have heard so much about you lets talk.
and that is the last we heard of that strange off-worlder with that funny accent.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 08:46:06 PM by Jehan-Reznor »
"this can't be happening, Man!"
my projects;
http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=169427.0 budhhist space marines
http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=163611.0 Doombringer my space marine chapter
http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=150109.0 Hello Kitty Space Marine Army

Offline 42

• Cry havoc and let lose the dogs of war
« Reply #58 on: January 16, 2008, 09:02:54 PM »
remember the imperiums huge right? and world to world comunication is equally poor right? lots of us have copies of the primer the munitorium guide and forge world specs and codices and we meet and learn from better gamers, I have it the planet is a lost schola training commanders and inquisiters via a worldwide disguised system of training camps.
How the Chimney-sweepers cry 
       Every blackning Church appalls,
       And the hapless Soldiers sigh
        Runs in blood down Palace walls

Offline Gornak

« Reply #59 on: January 16, 2008, 09:17:15 PM »
Go mad from the horrors of the far future and the fact that everyone I ever knew was dead! Then mimic the culture of a local Ork warband paint my skin Green and recruit like minded individuals and create the first Uumie ork warband!