News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: New Guy!  (Read 2220 times)

Offline WaitWhat

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
New Guy!
« on: November 22, 2015, 03:30:07 PM »
Hey everyone!

I'm finally getting back into the hobby after a long hiatus. I started playing way back in school, not long after the 4th edition came out and the last time I played properly was probably just the start 5th. Sadly I had some financial problems, and them and Games Workshop don't mix! So I had to basically give up the hobby and sell most/all of my Warhammer stuff.
I always said I'd get back into it when I was in a better financial position, but by then I was working a lot (and had somewhat lost interest in the hobby).
But now, I've managed to achieve the most coveted of thing.. Some free time and a bit of disposable income!

So, I've decided to get back into the game. I've been missing and growing nostalgic for it recently. Some of my best friends from back then were made in Games Workshops and some of my best memories are staying up all night playing five man free for all games on my friends floor.

Back in the day I had Chaos, Tyranids and a very small Dark Eldar force (about 750 pts I think). I haven't decided what I'll go for this time around, but the 'nids look cool as hell now.
Apart from a few games over the years using borrowed armies and stuff I haven't really kept on top of the rule changes. I'm sure it'll be very different than what I can remember.

I actually used to browse this board back in 2005/06, I think I might have maybe had an account at some point. I remember it always being helpful, fun and full of great (and a few weird, maybe some older users will remember) users, so when I decided to give 40k another bash, I came right here!

So, after that biography.. Hows everyone doing? ;D
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 03:31:57 PM by WaitWhat »

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
Re: New Guy!
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2015, 03:43:51 PM »
Welcome (back) to 40K Online :).

Financial problems would certainly make it difficult to keep up-to-date with playing GW's games that's for sure.

The format of the rules hasn't changed too much from fourth edition, but what has changed is the scale.  There are larger vehicles, flyers, superheavy tanks, and even titans for use in regular games these days, which is viewed positively by some and not by others.  Providing you have a sensible gaming group and/or some good friends though, you don't have to follow the 'bigger is better' philosophy if it's not your thing.

Also, expect a bit more randomness compared to the last time you played, especially in terms of assault distance, psychic powers, and various mission related issues.  We can't go into specifics because of GW's tight control over its own copyright, but you'll seen get an idea from reading army list discussions here and from looking at the rulebook.

I hope that you enjoy taking part in the discussions here :).
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline WaitWhat

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2015, 04:29:34 PM »
There are larger vehicles, flyers, superheavy tanks, and even titans for use in regular games these days, which is viewed positively by some and not by others.

Man, that was all Forge World stuff back when I last played! What are they making now, life sized titans?

Thanks for the welcome, I'm sure I'll be posting more when I decide what army I want to play

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2015, 04:42:52 PM »
There's still quite a bit of Forgeworld stuff too, and a lot of the largest models are still covered by Forgeworld rules, so far as I am aware.  The difference is that it's more feasible to use them in regular games than it used to be.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline WaitWhat

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2015, 05:10:55 PM »
That's pretty cool, I look forward to seeing them!

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2015, 07:24:03 PM »
Hi WaitWhat, and welcome to the best 40k forum on the web!  :)

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2015, 08:10:21 AM »
Welcome back. I can completley relate to the $/time ratio imbalance and have been forced to come and go from the hobby a few times because of it. What has saved me from another withdrawal was eBay, although with a terrible Canadian dollar at the moment, those great deals are not as great as they used to be. I definitely suggest picking up a core rulebook. The mini one from the box set is the cheapest and easiest to find used on reselling sites. You should be able to find one for under the cost of a new codex.

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2015, 09:16:00 AM »
I remember it always being helpful, fun and full of great (and a few weird, maybe some older users will remember) users, so when I decided to give 40k another bash, I came right here!

Well Rummy & Mr.Peanut are still here and I don't think there's any users weirder as great as those two  ;D

It will be interesting to see how you get on with this edition of 40k.
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline WaitWhat

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2015, 03:20:34 PM »
The mini one from the box set is the cheapest and easiest to find used on reselling sites. You should be able to find one for under the cost of a new codex.

That's a good call! I'll look into that.

Thanks for all the welcomes guys