News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: How would YOU beat this Eldar list?  (Read 965 times)

Offline Aesir Yggdrasil

• The Twisted Haemonculus
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Serious as a hemophiliac in a razor blade factory.
How would YOU beat this Eldar list?
« on: January 10, 2004, 10:13:19 PM »
Okay, I'm playing Tau in a 40k in a Flash campaign, and I'm using Iyanden for the first time, so I'm just a little nervous. Why you ask, is this strangle little person posting on the tau board? Simple, becuase I want to know who a Tau player would go about beating my army list, and what weaknesses he/she would exploite. Tau players know how to do this best, so here's the end result. Anywho, here's the list:

Troops:
Wraithlord w/Shruiken Cannon
5 Wraithgaurd

Heavy Support:
3 Dark Reapers
8 Gaurdians and Starcannon platform

Thats it. Now for a quick caption of 40k in a flash:
Like 40k in 40min, but you can have three wound things (But not 4+ wound things), and the lists are 500 points, not 400, and you can spend only 200 points on vehicles (But they can have greater total armour than 33) Other than that they are the same rules (I think, might be one or two little things I missed).
People ask how come I play such a twisted army. I reply that I have the heart of a young boy; in a jar right next to his brain.

Now with Extra Lung!

Offline Frgsinwntr

• Sisters burn
Re: How would YOU beat this Eldar list?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2004, 02:32:34 AM »
2 stealth squads and a hammerhead with an ion cannon and pulse cannons. 
« Last Edit: January 11, 2004, 02:33:35 AM by Frgsinwntr »
Chain swords are awesome.  The only way would be cooler is if they had tits and were on fire.

Offline Moonsinger

• The Cause of Priapism | Meanie!
  • Ancient
    • KFD-Comics
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2004, 04:18:28 AM »
I do belive a Hamerhead got greater armour value then 33.

but some stealthsuits can take care of Dark Reapers and Guardians.
And... gaah, what a dificult list to take down in 500 pts.

Maybe:
6 Stealthsuits
8 Fire Warriors
2 Broadsides
1 Shas'vre XV8 with plasma rifle, fusion blaster, missile pod.

that is atleast what I would use.
Dwarf Females <3
Priapism is considered a medical emergency, which should receive proper treatment by qualified medical people

Offline Aesir Yggdrasil

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2004, 06:55:48 PM »
Thank you very much for your replies in such sort notice. A few things, and I'm sorry if my post was confusing, In this 40k varent you can take a vehicle with as much armour as you want, however you may not spend more than 200pts total on vehicles. So, I think you could take a Hammerhead... though I'm not sure (My not having a tau codex has something to do with that).
People ask how come I play such a twisted army. I reply that I have the heart of a young boy; in a jar right next to his brain.

Now with Extra Lung!

Offline Poe, the Sociopath

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Imperial Vengence at its finest.
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2004, 07:44:10 PM »
Some Firewarriors to deal with the Gardians/Reapers with a Broadside for the 'Lord and Farsight to kill the rest.
Rosethorn wishes Aegis; Whisperless Void.

From death I come for you!

Offline Aesir Yggdrasil

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2004, 07:51:14 PM »
Don't braodsides have a 2+ save? It seems as though these are the wort things that I would face (And they are. I have painful memoirs of a fleet of raiders and a ravager going down on the first turn, before they so much as moved!).

Now with Extra Lung!

Offline Poe, the Sociopath

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Imperial Vengence at its finest.
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2004, 07:53:44 PM »
Yup.  Broadsides Are amazing.  They deal HUGE amounts of damage and can take a MASSIVE amount damage (like 500 points of fricking IG and then being charged by like 40 Guardsmen and still living). 
Rosethorn wishes Aegis; Whisperless Void.

From death I come for you!

Offline The Orange

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2004, 02:30:23 AM »
Well id have to say the scarriest think in your list is probably your Wrathlord, lol who would have guessed.  But i think your greatist weakness is in your low number of troops and short range. 
Guardians are easy meet for Tau pulse rifles, pt for pt, a ten man team of FW's should kill half the squad in turn one.
The Reapers should not be considered for such a small game, they are a small and an expensive squad.  With there low T value, and only 4+ save, even taking some fire form a squad of FW's, from the Taus weekest weapons, str 5, will eat them up, and cause a moral check.  With only 3 men, they cant really stand up to 12 shots form a full man FW squad.
The wrath guard are tough, but there weapons only have a 12" range,  they will be easily wilted down by a crisis with plasma cannons or fusion blasters. There only chance is trying to go after FW squads, as they will never catch up to anything in a battle suit, and will probably spend most of the game going across the field, just trying to get into shooting range.   
As i said your wrathlord is probably the scariest thing you have, and im sure it can hold its own with its SC and high Toughnes, but realize, it will never get a crisis suit into hth, and thus its 10str hth attacks will never be used, and its SC has too short a range to be trulley effective, in the end it probably wont ever make its pts cost back in a short game. However if you put the star cannon on the wrathlord, which has a higher BS then guardians, then you turlly have something your opponint has to worry about, because its tough, it has wounds, it has long range, and the starcannon can easily hunt down crisis suits and broadsides alike.
Im afraid that Iyanden is just the wrong army list to use agians tau. 

Offline Teh Preacher

• Baby Got Back
    • Lehigh University Gaming Club
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2004, 05:27:31 PM »
Here goes:

Heavy:
3 Broadsides w/Multi Tracker [225]

Elites:
2 Crisis Suits w/Plasma Rifles & Flamers, MTrackers [114]
2 Crisis Suits w/Burst Cannons & Flamers, MTrackers [102]
1 Crisis Suit w/Fusion Blaster & Flamer, MTracker [53]

494 Points

Broadsides will tear down the Wraithlord, hopefully on turn 1 with any luck.  Then they can fire upon the Wraithguard.  The team with Plasma Rifles can take down the Reapers from 24" since its an AP2 weapon.  The Burst Cannon team will go for the Guardians since they will have the most shots and its an AP5 weapon.  The Fusion Blaster is in the grim possibility that the Broadsides do not take down the Lord/Guard.  It can also be used against the Reapers.  Any of the flamers can be used to finish off the Guardians, which are of little threat to the Tau.

The key to a Tau victory would be maneuverability.  With 5 Crisis Suits that each move with Jetpacks, the Eldar should have a hard time finding targets.  Keeping the Broadsides out of range of the StarCannon is a must.  My objectives would be:

1. Wraithlord
2. Wraithguard
3. Starcannon
4. Reapers
The 13th Cadre of Vior'la 2005 Record
1 Victory -- 5 Losses -- 0 Draws

Vs. Orks: 0-2-0
Vs. Chaos: 1-0-0
Vs. Eldar: 0-1-0
Vs. Space Marines: 0-2-0

Offline Praetor

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2004, 04:00:38 PM »
Heck Deep Strike some Steathsuits or Gun drones right behinde the Reapers and let lose some lovin.

PS who missed me :D lol

Offline Aesir Yggdrasil

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2004, 09:30:51 PM »
Okay, played the game today, and sorry, broadsides with their 2+ save aren't allowed (Would stick a sad smily, but thats be glitched). My opponents list looked something like this:

Hammer Head

Fire Warriors

Crisis team

Hammerhead did nothing the entire game (Ended up getting gunned down by wraithgaurd). Crisis suits took down 2 gaurdians, before the gaurdians and the Dark reapers using the gaurdians as a screen, wiped them off the face of the earth. The fire warriors, for all their S5 weapons, did little to stop the advance (And constant rain of Star cannon fire) that was my wraithlord. T8 does that sometimes...

Now with Extra Lung!

Offline Teh Preacher

• Baby Got Back
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2004, 10:12:48 PM »
Sounds like you were playing an inexperienced Tau operator.  If the Hammerhead was ineffective was it due to poor usage or to poor rolling?  How did he equip the Crisis Suits?  Burst Cannons give more shots, but without Plasma Rifles he could do little with them to cause serious damage.  Its too bad broadsides arent allowed, but good for non-tau players I suppose.

Offline Aesir Yggdrasil

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2004, 10:58:54 PM »
The hammerhead moved 12", fired rail gun (Not using TVR, talk to our campain organizer about that), rolled a one to hit. Next turn WG shoot, destroying one burst cannon and rail gun, along with stuning it. Next turn, wraithgaurd move in for the kill.
As for the crisis suits, the shot, rolled a bunch of ones (They did manage to kill 2 gaurdians with their missle pods), jumped back, failing to relize that gaurdians with starcannons can move and shoot. Two starcannon shots hit, two wounded, and along with the help from a nearby wraithlord, made the Crisis suits run away. The suits did manage to regroup, but just in time to be blown out of the water. Fire warriors just hid behind some terrian unit the WL came over and finished them off.

Now with Extra Lung!

Offline Frgsinwntr

• Sisters burn
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2004, 01:03:23 AM »
you obviously played on a very small table then hehe, the hammer head should have been able to avoid being shot very easily.  If your opponent fielded 2or more crisis suits he should have done single suits in a unit each, causeing you to split shots more plus he should have fired plasma rifles at the wraith lord.  the firewarriors doing nothing is a surprise to me, they should have had a marker light ;).  and finally back to the hammer head... it should have fired the submunitions shot.
Chain swords are awesome.  The only way would be cooler is if they had tits and were on fire.

Offline Moonsinger

• The Cause of Priapism | Meanie!
  • Ancient
    • KFD-Comics
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2004, 02:52:19 AM »
Yes, that have to be a VERY small table...
Dwarf Females <3
Priapism is considered a medical emergency, which should receive proper treatment by qualified medical people

Offline Teh Preacher

• Baby Got Back
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2004, 08:04:45 PM »
mmmmm... markerlight, i wonder if those are made by Mag-Lite?

Offline Aesir Yggdrasil

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2004, 09:39:24 AM »
It was a 4x4 table with cover, lots of sweet cover. As for the hammerhead, it never got to fire. It tried, missed, then died. The three crisis suits tried to kill my gaurdian screen squad, and failed badly.

Now with Extra Lung!

Offline Teh Preacher

• Baby Got Back
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2004, 02:48:07 PM »
He should buy new dice, and incarcerate the ones he used.