News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 2013 40k Online Tournament - Is it happening this year ??  (Read 10679 times)

Offline Rathstar

• Rathstar's 40k Ramblings
  • Armies: Dark Eldar, Necrons, Tau, Space Wolves
2013 40k Online Tournament - Is it happening this year ??
« on: February 6, 2013, 09:25:41 AM »
Hi,

After missing last year's tournament, which looked like another excellent event from the forum posts, I wanted to get dates (and a pass from the other half) sorted early, but I haven't been able to find any early details.

Is the tournament happening this year ?  My big concern is that Triple Helix has decided to stop being a gaming centre and had stopping taking bookings for events.  Will the tournament return to Bracknell ?

Rathstar

[mod]It's on! For more information, see this post[/mod]
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 11:01:30 AM by Chuckles, The Space Marine Clown »
___________________ _________________

View my 40k Blog at: Rathstar's Ramblings

Offline Shas'Oink

• Sky Ray Pimp Daddy | Infinity Circuit | Ban me, I dare you! | The Fallen didn't fall, they were pushed. | Winner of the 2008 40K Online Longest Title Competition, awarded again with oak leaves, five years and running | Now with O:nkling! | Axe
  • Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
    • oinks overambitious terrain project(s)
Re: 2013 40k Online Tournament - Is it happening this year ??
« Reply #1 on: February 6, 2013, 09:41:24 AM »
You hit the nail on the head.

THW are seemingly no longer taking bookings for their hall. Confusing considering it sounds like it will otherwise be left sitting unused. I am awaiting further communnication from Steve there though.

In the mean time however, I've been looking around for other potential venues. Unfortunately the only further one I've found that sounds like it can meet our needs is Tabletop Nation... but this is right the way over in South End - on the east coast which is exactly on the wrong side of the country for most of our line-up which tends to hail from around the west side of the country.

An alternative is to head back to ye olde bracknell forest gamers but I still need to contact Dan about this. A secodn alternative is to speak with the Bristol Vanguard...

Offline Chuckles, The Space Marine Clown

• Can't Touch This; Captain; Swarmlord - Tyranid Sweatshop Operator; 40KO's Official WMD; "No American orphans, please"
  • Ancient
  • I kill, maim and torture because I care
« Reply #2 on: February 6, 2013, 10:04:18 AM »
Bristol Vanguard seems the most sensible (as long as it doesn't clash with one of their events of course) to me. After all Bristol and Westbury are about 30 miles apart, and Bristol has the M5, M4 and Temple Meads and Bristol Parkway, so I suspect it's much easier for people to get to Bristol than it is to Westbury.

The forum rules are fair and just. *twitch*

Offline Shas'Oink

• Sky Ray Pimp Daddy | Infinity Circuit | Ban me, I dare you! | The Fallen didn't fall, they were pushed. | Winner of the 2008 40K Online Longest Title Competition, awarded again with oak leaves, five years and running | Now with O:nkling! | Axe
  • Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
« Reply #3 on: February 6, 2013, 10:08:01 AM »
Bristol Vanguard seems the most sensible (as long as it doesn't clash with one of their events of course) to me. After all Bristol and Westbury are about 30 miles apart, and Bristol has the M5, M4 and Temple Meads and Bristol Parkway, so I suspect it's much easier for people to get to Bristol than it is to Westbury.

Agreed, I'm trying to get the ball rolling on this avenue. If anyone knows of any other venues that may be able to cater for our needs then do feel free to chime in.

Offline Killing Time

• Infinity Circuit | I put out on the first date | Tarrin's Sullied Cunning Stunt Double
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Brevior saltare cum deformibus mulieribus est vita
« Reply #4 on: February 6, 2013, 10:22:04 AM »
Hymirl and I have spoken at length about trying to get the tournament over to Bristol.
I'm pretty sure we could make this happen through the Vanguard, although there are a couple of issues that would need to be resolved.
Firstly we'd need to clear it with Vanguard committee to get access to their tables and scenery.
Secondly we'd need to find a good venue, such as a school or church hall. The Vangurd do this a lot so I suspect the avenues are already there.

Let's wait for Hymirl to stick his nose onto the boards to offer the Vanguard perspective.
But yes, I'd certainly be keen to help host this year if Bristol gets the nod.

• Can't Touch This; Captain; Swarmlord - Tyranid Sweatshop Operator; 40KO's Official WMD; "No American orphans, please"
  • Ancient
« Reply #5 on: February 6, 2013, 10:24:26 AM »
Man if this is the first year I bring a proper competitive army and I get drawn against g00gle in the final round I am going to be irritated.

Offline Shas'Oink

• Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
« Reply #6 on: February 6, 2013, 10:35:57 AM »
I've sent Hymirl a PM about things so I'll be able to keep you guys updated as things get organised.

I'm also waiting for more information from Steve of Triple Helix Wargames.

As I've already mentioned, I looked at some alternatives but want to ensure that the final venue is close to the majority of our existing attendees! Tehre's no use me finding somewhere that's close to me for my own convenience when it means that most people will be making a dog of a journey!

Just for that Chuckles... we'll make sure that you get to play him in the first round instead!

Offline Killing Time

• Infinity Circuit | I put out on the first date | Tarrin's Sullied Cunning Stunt Double
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #7 on: February 6, 2013, 10:36:42 AM »
We'll also need a date ASAP.

Man if this is the first year I bring a proper competitive army and I get drawn against g00gle in the final round I am going to be irritated.

We'll put you together in round 1 instead.

Or we can give you to Tarrin...

Offline Shas'Oink

• Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
« Reply #8 on: February 6, 2013, 10:37:46 AM »
Or we can give you to Tarrin...

seconded...

Yes, my primary goal is to secure a date somewhere... details following this can be ironed out after the fact but its important people know well in advance in order to be able to secure time off work and make arrangements etc.

« Last Edit: February 6, 2013, 10:39:01 AM by oink »

Offline Rathstar

« Reply #9 on: February 6, 2013, 10:47:58 AM »

Bracknell is closest for me, but I think Triple Helix was the most central for everyone.

Hopefully as they're still doing the booked tournaments for the rest of this year (and therefore can't use the space for anything else) I'm hoping that Steve will allow another tournament in.

Bristol is doable for me, but it makes it an overnighter, where as I could just do Triple Helix and back in the same day.  Depending on the date it'll make it harder to get a pass from the other half with friends (and more importantly my son's & daughter's) birthdays being in August.

Rathstar

Offline Killing Time

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #10 on: February 6, 2013, 10:53:35 AM »
I'm surprised you find Triple Helix easier than Bristol.
It might be closer, but we're right off the M4. THW is in the middle of nowhere.

• Ancient
« Reply #11 on: February 6, 2013, 10:55:07 AM »
I agree with Killing Time, I too am surprised that THW would be easier to get to than Reading. According to Google Maps Reading to Bristol actually takes ten minutes longer than to Westbury. Are you no longer based in Reading?

Offline Rathstar

« Reply #12 on: February 6, 2013, 11:05:53 AM »

No, I'm still in Reading.

I could be wrong on the journey, I just remember that Bristol was a bit of a journey from my mates house who lived near THW.  I'll check out a route planner, if it's only 10 mins difference it wouldn't make a difference for me which venue we had.

I suppose it'll just depend on which venue is easiest for the TOs

Rathstar

• Ancient
« Reply #13 on: February 6, 2013, 11:09:47 AM »
I presume you drive? As Killing Time says, to get to Bristol you just get on the M4 and drive until Bristol happens to you, THW involves lots of fannying about on back roads. That's probably what caused the issue actually, if you add the time it takes to get from Reading to THW to the time it takes to get from THW to Bristol it will come out as a lot more than if you're just trying to get to Bristol directly from Reading.

EDIT: my post count is now a palindrome. I can never post again :'(
« Last Edit: February 6, 2013, 11:10:58 AM by Chuckles, The Warhammer Clown »

Offline Guildmage Aech

• FLAMER: Ego Bigger than his Common Sense Centre | 40KO's Care Bear of Spite | Dolphin Death Dealer | 40K Oracle
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #14 on: February 6, 2013, 12:15:21 PM »
In theory, it should be fine to sort out a tournament in bristol. I will investigate!

Edit: Progress is progressing!
« Last Edit: February 6, 2013, 06:26:21 PM by Hymirl »
Rules Expert 2007 | Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit 2008 | Most Notoriously Valuable Rules Expert 2009 | Most Notorious 2014

Offline 666_Mutley_666

• Mass debating - a filthy group habbit!
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2013, 10:28:01 AM »
In theory, it should be fine to sort out a tournament in bristol. I will investigate!

Edit: Progress is progressing!

any luck yet?
oink is a nancy!

Offline Benis

• 77 Shades Of Decay | Lazerous Penguin | Death to the Emperor with a Pulse!
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Getkilling
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2013, 12:36:58 PM »
I'm mildly interested this year too so it would be good to know what dates are set. Not so surprisingly I have little input on location though Bristol would mean one less step on the journey.

Offline Koval, Master Verispex

• 40kOnline's Care Bear of Tanks | The Velvet Glove of Fated Tenderness and Ambition
  • Ancient
  • Well, that was unexpected...
  • Armies: Imperial Guard (Indelvian 190th Mechanised)
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2013, 02:29:41 PM »
I'll give Hymirl a poke around Vanquish time if we've not heard anything by then. :P

Offline Shas'Oink

• Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2013, 03:46:12 PM »
Yes, there has been some progress. This years event WILL be held in bristol and in partnership with the bristol vanguard club. I gor one am very much looking forward to this prospect! Once more details have been ironed out we will be able to set up a brand new tournament thread with everything we need

Offline Killing Time

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2013, 05:15:34 PM »
I'm currently working on the new rules pack.
We still need to confirm the venue, but we'll have it up as soon as everything is rubber stamped.