News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1500pts, help before I invest!  (Read 1979 times)

Offline Evolutionary Fault

• You're never too old to play with toys!
1500pts, help before I invest!
« on: September 26, 2012, 12:42:01 PM »
Some of you may have noticed by now that I'm putting up a lot of these posts over the different forums.  I've finally managed to track down a couple of guys to play 40k with in my area; but due to their lack of figs, and the costs associated with the hobby, they're pretty hesitant to jump in with both feet (i can't blame them).  Regardless, I've got ten years worth of figures (I ballpark 10000pts of imperials, and 6000pts of "mean" xenos), so I'm happy to share.  Problem is, the majority of my non imperial armies are unfinished from 3rd edition.  I'm getting 1500-2000pt lists stood up by counting, sorting, and making a few purchases (turns out my armies are pretty close already!).  Since I've got GK and Orks sorted out, my next project is finish my 'nids before the new CSM book comes out (I've been saving my Dark Vengeance figs for that very day!!!).  I've read every list on this board, several pages back, and skimmed a few other boards too (oh the heresy?), so I'm hoping this list won't be total fail.  It's for casual games, take on all comers.

Anyway; here's my prospective (or perspective?) list:

HQ
Tyrant - 2x devourers/Leech, Paroxysm, Leech Essence, Tpxin Sacs

ELITES
2x Tyrant Hive Guard

2x Zoanthropes

TROOPS
20x Hormagaunts (screen for below)

15x Hormagaunts - Toxin Sacs (or are adrenal better here?)

11x Termagaunts - Devourers

10x Genestealers

4x Warriors - Boneswords, Deathspitters, 1x Venom Cannon

FAST ATTACK
Harpy - Spore mines, TL Heavy Venom Cannon, Toxin Sacs

HEAVY SUPPORT
Carnifex - TL Devourer/Leech, Crushing Claws, Toxin Sacs

TOTAL - 1498

I thought this was a pretty balanced list; although I'm sure it's far from optimized. I already own all the little bugs, and 6x warriors.  Two of the warriors are slated for Hive guard conversions, and I've got bitz lined up to make the zoans.  I'm planning on purchasing the Carnifex/Tyrant/Harpy (mawloc/wings) in one fell swoop (PUN!), and magnetizing everything.

Is this going to work alright on the field; or am I DOA?  The nids were my brother's army, and I acquired them in a trade; so i've never actually played with them...

As far as list changes go; I'm pretty much open to anything.  I sated what I have just a second ago, but I've got a pretty extensive bitz box, and I'm willing to rip arms of any/everything to make the list work.  I would perfer if I didn't have to go buy a whole bunch more gaunts or something; but that'll come I'm sure.

For 2k (and this is JUST spitballing, and totally open) I'd probably add a tervigon, Flyrant, and a mycetic spore+3 termagaunts to the existing squad.  should take me up to 1998.

Thanks guys; anything's appreciated
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 06:18:43 PM by Evolutionary Fault »
Join the BYB movement!!!
Change the world.

Offline Hive Fleet Bahamut

• I like to play with my food before I eat it!
Re: 1500pts, help before I invest!
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 08:06:52 PM »
First off welcome to the Hive Mind.  Sounds like quite the collection, glad to see the Nids got to be a part.  I noticed you said you were willing to adapt, but by in large this list is fairly balanced. 

A few things to consider are..  Hive Guard not Tyrant guard are in Elites.  Also, unless you can't scrounge some points, your Tyrant can take great advantage of the new Flying Monstrous Creature rules with wings. (Also it would be a great compliment to your lone Harpy, which can't hurt fliers with its blasts, and is autocannon bait.)  Or if on foot the shiny new 2+ being safe from most power weapons now with their fluxuated AP's.  Tyrant guard aren't as amazing now with cover being available to MC's, but it adds wounds to your synaptic anchor.

Second, I am happy to see Devilgants, but can tell you from experience that 11 although meeting the requirement for Troop Tervi, (only scoring MC by the way..) they will get demoted to biomass by anything shooting at them.  I find 15-20+ is where they shine.  Keep fnp on them or at least covered and let the opponent underestimate Tyranids infantry shooting.  Up to 90 shots at medium range is going to hurt anyone.  Who cares about their terrible armour, if they shoot your gants you are in control, because all your heavy hitters wander unscathed.

I have found although swords are sexy on warriors they share the same problem Walkrants/Swarmlord has.  They lack speed to get engaged, unless used as counter assault.  I have used shrikes a few times and although more expensive with a lesser save, their added mobility is grand.  24" potential charge isn't bad.

The Carnifex in my lists got a sex change and births children.  More force multipliers and less overcosted shooty.  Remember all MC have smash too, so max strength can be achieved on your harpy etc.  Tervigons 1 on 1 can beat a carnifex and they are characters.  Precision shooting stinger salvos killing that special weapon is worth its weight in gold.

Only suggestions, good luck with the battles to come.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 08:12:31 PM by Hive Fleet Bahamut »
Tyranid assimilation brought to you by the letters "Om nom"

Offline Master Bio-Titan BT

• Armies: Chaos Marines and Tyranids
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 12:24:27 PM »
Tyrant Guard are purchased for the Tyrant as one HQ unit. 

2 Zoanthroapes without delivery will be cannon foder, easy KP.  Take 3 in a Spore to best utilize them, their range is too short to footslog them.

Hormagaunts:  Swap out your numbers for the screening unit should be 15, and the larger 20 squad with T.Sacs is the most common option.  They were great with both A.Glands and T.Sacs because on the charge they used to get +1 Strength, now they don't, so no-rerolls To Wound with St4 on the charge anymore Vs. MEq armies (Marine Equivalents aka T4).  Hormagaunts also lost a boost with the changes to to Fleet.

As said, the Termagants are too small to take Devourers.  "Devil-Gants" are best in a Mycetic Spore with 20 gants full with Devourers, thats 60 shots on the drop!  Its beautiful!

Naked GS are great, no problem there.  Infiltrate them for this army setup.

I can't say much more about Warriors, I don't use them.  I can say the more points you put in them, the less you have for the rest of your armylist and will draw more attention from your opponents St8+ AP4 or better weaponry!  Good bye Expensive Warriors!

I am still not sold on the Harpy yet, mostly because a model doesn't exist yet.

C.Claws have become a little more interesting with the introduction to "Smash" rule.  With St9, they hardly need to use it, so I still say C.Claws are not for Fexen.  Make them shooty for footslogging, CC oriented for Spore dropping!  Thats my best advice.

2008 CSM Poster of the Year

My CSM Conversions & Tutorials (Updated 12-22-12) 

My Tyranid Conversions & Tutorials  (Updated 12-23-12)

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 06:42:03 PM »
Hive guard.  I meant hive guard (damn).

Alright; since you guys said it was pretty balanced (yay!  I'm glad I getting bugs), but one of my assaulty squads was shooty....here's something a little different; incorporating you're reccomendations:

HQ
Hive Tyrant - 2x Leech Devourerers, Toxin Sacs, Wings

ELITES:
Doom of Malan'tai (sweet!!!)

2x Hive guard

2x Hive guard

TROOPS
Tervigon (as recc'd) - T. Sacs

14 Devilgaunts (best name ever, by the way)
Spore

20x Hormagaunts - T.Sacs

15x Hormagaunts

10x Genestealers

HEAVY SUPPORT
Carnifex - 2x Leech Devourer, T.Sacs

TOTAL - 1500 exactly

Same idea as before.  I swapped out the harpy for a Tervigon, and grabbing a flyrant to fill the role; and managed to find points for a spore and three more termies (I'm trying!).  The warriors gave rise to another set of hive guard (I'm already chopping up two of the six...), and the Zoans swapped for the Doom; who just seems awesome.

I'm concerned about lack of synapse for the main herd (hence the inital inclusion of warriors), and if so needed; the first things to go are the Doom and one of the  hive guard (making a squad of three with the remainder) for a quad of shrikes or warriors.  Thoughts?  Better, Worse?  Same?

Thanks guys, you've been great thus far
Join the BYB movement!!!
Change the world.

Offline Khira'lyth

• Archon
  • I *LOVE* EO and 40K.ca
« Reply #4 on: October 5, 2012, 07:39:53 AM »
Some extra thoughts...

I won't say don't take 2 sets of Devourers on a Flyrant, but I will say that only taking 1 set is a viable option.  It opens up the Sword/Lash (namely - Lash) option, which is important if you plan to get into assault.  Given that Biomancy can turn a Tyrant from decent in combat to downright brutal.  Vector Striking is not something to be ignored completely... while not as effective as a 2nd Devourer against light vehicles, it's going to be in the same-to-better range vs infantry (barring 2+ saves).

If you take Doom, take a spore.  Always.  He has a 6" range.  Standard 'thropes, now that telekinesis powers exist, are more at home walking than they used to be.  Remember that powers are swapped *after* you know what you're up against (making them far more versatile).  I've taken to walking them in order to use more buff powers from the start.

As for toxin vs Adrenals on gaunts... depends on what you want them to do.  Toxin is simply better vs infantry (or anything with a T value).  Adrenals (ie, S4 on the charge) allows you to play can opener with all but a few vehicles in the game (ie; 40-odd attacks vs AV10 = dead tank).  I like the idea of having my horm's be able to punk vehicles, but I keep finding that the cost of the upgrades is hard (for me) to work into lists.  I don't think that stock hormies are bad (for the points) though, so there's that.

ps - for the tervigon, I'd highly suggest finding the extra points for adrenals in order to further buff produced broods.  Turning basic gribblies into universal threats is downright mean... not to mention effective.

pps - be careful with Genestealers.  I find them to be one of the only 'nid units fairly effected by the new Overwatch rules.  Gaunts can absorb the odd casualty or two, and MC's will shrug off most of it... 'stealers, though, will find losing 1-2 guys on the charge pretty nasty.  I suggest one of two things - either take more (for the standard ablative wound idea) or make them more effective.  Toxin Sacs on 'stealers has always been good (re-rolling to wound, and by default increasing Rends), but now that poison is better, it's even more worth the cost.  Something to think about.

Khira'lyth

« Reply #5 on: October 5, 2012, 02:47:23 PM »
Ok; with everything everyone's told me; and what more I've read; here's the final.  I've included shrikes; because it seems I have more warriors than I'd initally thought, and a few less gaunts.

Hive Flyrant - Sword/Whip, TL Devourer/Leech, Wings, Toxin Sacs, Hive Commander

2x Hive guard

2x Hive guard

25x Hormagaunts

10x Genestealer Brood

15x Termigaunts/devourer
     ^Mycetic Spore

Tervigon/Toxin Sacs

4x Tyranid Shrikes/ Devourers, Rending Claws

Carnifex/ TL Devourer/Brainleech, Heavy Venom Cannon, Toxin Sacs

Total:1500

I'm really tossing up who gets the spore, between the termagaunts, tervigon, or two hive guard.  I'm also really considering making the shrikes down to warriors (in the spore), and pulling two hive guard for Zoans (or Doom in a spore).  The unit that gets outflanked is the termagaunts (if they're sporeless), or it goes depends on the situation (fex or shrikes, probably; but maybe the tervigon).

The real challenge is going to be in magnetizing everything...
Join the BYB movement!!!
Change the world.

Offline Khira'lyth

• Archon
  • I *LOVE* EO and 40K.ca
« Reply #6 on: October 5, 2012, 06:23:10 PM »
Double-check what all can fit in a spore... that'll cut down your options a bit ;)

If you're running Shrikes, I'd suggest making them strictly CC... especially since Dev's force a penalty to the "zomg I'm hit!" morale test, you don't want their target falling back out of charge distance.  Also, be careful, that 5+ is going to hurt against overwatch (and normal shooting) just like 'stealers.

Khira'lyth