News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Painting Eldar Guardians  (Read 1795 times)

Offline MechTau

• Eldar for the Eldar God!
  • Armies: Tau, Eldar
Painting Eldar Guardians
« on: October 17, 2017, 02:21:57 AM »
I was looking through the 7th edition codex...

and I saw things like this:

and I thought, "That's amazing!"

Started painting a few Eldar Guardians... and I was trying to go for something like "armor on the guardian one color, cloth stuff underneath another color"

and I ended up not knowing how to find either on the model! The guardian model "cloth" faded into armor pads that didn't provide a good surface for the army.

So now I'm thinking like this. I'll use white and blue as my colors, blue as the primary color and white as the secondary color, good for things like helmets.

I'll prime the model white, then paint over most of it in blue, leaving the gun and the helmet white.

Then I'll wash the whole thing with a dark ink wash.

Then repaint the surfaces of things the color I want - very similar to the tutorial Cavalier posted!

My short summary: I tried to paint Guardians the same way I would paint Tau or Space Marines, kind of "paint by number," and it totally didn't work, so I'm learning from the resources here, and it's still hard but I'm learning and adapting.

It seems impossible though to get the ultra detailed paint schemes that I liked from the codex.

Offline laucian_meliamne

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Don't Panic; It's Open-Source!
    • The Place Where I Put Stuff Online
Re: Painting Eldar Guardians
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 05:01:38 PM »
Corrected image tag, for the curious:

The Guardians are pretty old models (they were new back in 3rd edition in the early 2000s), so the detail and quality of the sculpts are lower than what you'd expect now.  When painting my Guardians I tended to just paint in the missing edges on the plates that meld into the undersuit. You can usually imagine where the edge of the plate is supposed to be by looking at the overall shape and curvature of the rest of it.  Get a nice point on your brush and just paint a line to fill in where the sculpt lets you down.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: Painting Eldar Guardians
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 06:39:18 PM »
yeah the cloth does not have a defined edge in some parts, that the gun usually covers these parts anyway. If you really want to go at it, then a thin layer of greenstuff or similar putty would be another way to get the edge.