News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Vanquish 40K Tournament, Bristol UK, April 2013!  (Read 20517 times)

Offline Koval, Master Verispex

• 40kOnline's Care Bear of Tanks | The Velvet Glove of Fated Tenderness and Ambition
  • Ancient
  • Well, that was unexpected...
  • Armies: Imperial Guard (Indelvian 190th Mechanised)
Re: Vanquish 40K Tournament, Bristol UK, April 2013!
« Reply #40 on: February 7, 2013, 02:50:38 PM »
Where are the best cheap hotels? :-X

Offline Arquarian

• Infinity Circuit
  • all is dust...
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2013, 05:51:42 AM »
There's a bunch of us staying at the travellodge in portishead. My room was £24

Offline Guildmage Aech

• FLAMER: Ego Bigger than his Common Sense Centre | 40KO's Care Bear of Spite | Dolphin Death Dealer | 40K Oracle
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2013, 06:41:39 AM »
If you stay in Portishead don't eat at the brewers Fayre in the travel lodge, it's crap, but there are lots of nice restaurants and pubs for food.

#Helpfulconsumeradvice
Rules Expert 2007 | Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit 2008 | Most Notoriously Valuable Rules Expert 2009 | Most Notorious 2014

• 40kOnline's Care Bear of Tanks | The Velvet Glove of Fated Tenderness and Ambition
  • Ancient
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2013, 06:44:14 AM »
Portishead also seems close to the venue judging by Google Maps... I am game. Good shout Arq.

Offline Arquarian

• Infinity Circuit
  • all is dust...
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2013, 06:55:53 AM »
If you stay in Portishead don't eat at the brewers Fayre in the travel lodge, it's crap, but there are lots of nice restaurants and pubs for food.

#Helpfulconsumeradvice
Well noted good friend!

Koval we'll see you there!

Offline Oliver009

• Armies: Tau
« Reply #45 on: March 7, 2013, 12:59:45 PM »
Portishead also seems close to the venue judging by Google Maps...
So long as you're driving. Then it's just one junction up the M5. Otherwise it's a small trek through the River Avon.

Good luck to all involved.

• Ancient
« Reply #46 on: March 7, 2013, 01:28:20 PM »
Portishead also seems close to the venue judging by Google Maps...
So long as you're driving. Then it's just one junction up the M5. Otherwise it's a small trek through the River Avon.
You know, I quite fancy going for a swim. And I'm sure my tanks will be fine, they're supposed to be amphibious. :P

Really looking forward to this, it's bound to be a laugh.

Offline SeriousCallersOnly

• Brother Sergeant
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • This is not a Space Marine
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Tyranids
« Reply #47 on: April 5, 2013, 11:06:12 AM »
Looking forward to seeing some of you tomorrow. We (Tarrin, me, a few others) are Team Splan International. You'll spot us in pink or purple polo shirts. I'll have SCO on the back, Tarrin has The Noo.

Offline Benis

• 77 Shades Of Decay | Lazerous Penguin | Death to the Emperor with a Pulse!
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Getkilling
« Reply #48 on: April 5, 2013, 11:23:13 AM »
Take lots of pictures!

Offline Killing Time

• Infinity Circuit | I put out on the first date | Tarrin's Sullied Cunning Stunt Double
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Brevior saltare cum deformibus mulieribus est vita
« Reply #49 on: April 5, 2013, 11:54:23 AM »
Take lots of pictures!

I'll try, but I never remember.

I'm not sure my camera will cope with the highly concentrated sulliment of Tarrin in a pink shirt.

Offline Arquarian

• Infinity Circuit
  • all is dust...
« Reply #50 on: April 5, 2013, 12:57:05 PM »
First long range report...

I spoke to Koval earlier and put him in touch with the boys at Premethean Games.  Martok is there with I think 3 other guys. sound off if you get this!....
See you bright and early tomorrow chaps.

Tally-Ho!

Offline Guildmage Aech

• FLAMER: Ego Bigger than his Common Sense Centre | 40KO's Care Bear of Spite | Dolphin Death Dealer | 40K Oracle
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #51 on: April 5, 2013, 04:54:44 PM »
I'll be there too, good luck guys!
Rules Expert 2007 | Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit 2008 | Most Notoriously Valuable Rules Expert 2009 | Most Notorious 2014

Offline SeriousCallersOnly

• Brother Sergeant
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • This is not a Space Marine
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Tyranids
« Reply #52 on: April 7, 2013, 04:41:02 PM »
A most excellent weekend - superb organisation, awesome tables. I thoroughly enjoyed all my games, even the ones I lost. All five opponents were really nice fellas, no rather unsavoury chap, what-ho old bean?s. Nice to see Killing Time, Hymirl, Koval, Google, anyone else I spoke to but didn't recognise from here. Many highlights, but I was particularly pleased with Belial punching Koval's Russ to death for a VP in Big Guns Never Tire.

Offline Arquarian

• Infinity Circuit
  • all is dust...
« Reply #53 on: April 8, 2013, 10:13:37 AM »

I second that, I had a great weekend with some great guys, amazing armies and great boards.  Well done Vanguard!

I think this may be an appropriate time to mention amusing / heroic / awkward moments in your games.

In my last game Sly Marbo turned up and lobbed his demo charge at a lone marine, who nutted it away as Josh my oppo rolled a 1 to wound.

In the same game in the dying moments Josh's Hydra Flak squadron attempted to tank shock me off my home objective which would have certainly won him the game however rolling a 1 for the dangerous terrain test for one of his tanks I simply moved out of the way and held on for a narrow win.

Oh and my famous last words, which I actually muttered in my first game. "what do mind shackle scarabs do again?" 4 turns later Lysander stops hitting himself and squashes a Necrolord.

many thanks to all my opponents
Dave's Necrons were gribbly
Joe's Salamander drop list. We're one each now Joe ;)
Tom's Eldar
Craigs Ultamarines
Josh's Imperial Guard

• Ancient
« Reply #54 on: April 8, 2013, 11:45:27 AM »
I'm back! Huzzah! And I had a great time! (But no drinks -- must try harder, guys!)

Game 1 was against someone who, I think, wanted to play a WAAC Chaos army -- double Heldrake armies are not fun. Needless to say, no batrep.

Game 2 was against SCO's Dark Angels. Highlights included ALL THOSE DEATHWING getting slapped with plasma of some description, and the game itself giving us a Bolivian Army Ending as my Deathwatch ended up in melee with the remains of a Tactical Squad. A loss (9-5 to SCO), but it was a good game. (And yes, Belial did punch my Vanquisher to death.)

Game 3 was against an Ork army, owned by a gentleman called John. Funniest game of the weekend, lots of stuff exploding everywhere and some fun exploding Ramshackle Wartrukk shenanigans. Ghazghkull called a Waaagh! and krumped one of my Chimeras in the same turn, but failed to charge my Executioner the turn after, leaving him sitting at more or less point-blank range in front of a giant plasma cannon; when the smoke cleared, there wasn't much left of him. Besides that, we were both rolling really badly for everything, and many hilarious hijinks were had. (Oh, and he won 3-2 with Linebreaker, as he got one lone Ork Boy to squeak over into my deployment zone.)

Game 4 was against another Dark Angels army, commanded by a guy named Danny (who won the Fluffiest Army prize). Fun game with a lot of stuff being blown up on both sides; more Deathwatch shenanigans ensued, and it was pretty cool to see some older 2nd Edition models mixed in with more modern stuff. Very enjoyable even if I did lose 10-7.

Game 5 was my only win of the weekend, but what a win -- I managed to table an Eldar army (and felt incredibly dirty for winning 14-0!), belonging to a fellow from Team Splan by the name of Tom. Night Fighting did not help either of us at all, although I'm just fortunate that my Executioner stayed alive after it wound up in range of a full-strength D-cannon battery. :P

Four out of five games will may be adapted to form a series of "Based On A True Story, But With Heavy Artistic Licence" style battle reports. Sort of like a Hollywood version of events. If I do this, we can expect the story to be released around August 2020.

EDIT: I suddenly have more things on my plate than I thought I did, so I don't want to commit to something that it turns out I might not be able to do after all. I'll see what I can do, but I'll make no promises.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 02:08:46 AM by Koval, Savant Preceptor »

Offline Killing Time

• Infinity Circuit | I put out on the first date | Tarrin's Sullied Cunning Stunt Double
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #55 on: April 8, 2013, 01:23:34 PM »
Great couple of days out.
5 really fun opponents, and not one power armoured body amongst them.

Game 1 was against the eventual 4th placed player, and winner of the best army prize to boot.
A fantastic Ork army featuring some big mobs of various types, a smallish squad of nob bikers, a dakka jet and a fabulously modeled unit of Khorne Storm boyz.
A really close match that looked like he was going to win handily, I clawed back to a draw in turn 4 and the he snatched a narrow victory in turn 5. There wasn't time to go to another turn, which was probably just as well as I don't think it would have looked pretty for me.

Game 2 was my first ever outing against the new Necrons. This army had been painted up to look like it had come straight out of Tron.
Though I don't really know Necrons this didn't appear to be a nasty list and again it was a very close fought affair. This time I was winning in turn 4, he shoved me off my objectives in turn 5 to nudge ahead. My troops were well positioned to reclaim the win when the dice said piss off and the game ended. So another narrow loss and I was headed for the bottom of the table.

Game 3 saw me face up against another Necron list, so from none to two in as many matches.
This list was a lot tougher, with a destroyer lord + wraiths deathstar supported by two flyers and a couple of the big barge things with more gauss than you can shake a big stick at.
I was completely tabled by the bottom of turn 4. Ouch.

Game 4 matched my up against an Eldar player from Team Splan, and I was finally on comfortable territory, as I know what an Eldar army can do. This was a super game against a great guy and I enjoyed it a great deal.
It finally ended in a victory for me, though I did make a few rookie errors like sticking a Land Raider in range of a team of D-cannon.

Game 5 was another super match, this time against Final Justice from the forum, brother to Serious Callers and arch-enemy of Tarrin. Another Eldar army, this time with the Wraithlord HQ thingy and a Warp Hunter.
In this game the only notable thing my army managed was the forgefiend using the power of the daemonforge to shred the warp hunter out of the sky with the first shot of the game. From then on the fiend was useless, and the rest of the army was worse.
The writing was on the wall when my 1ksons failed 6 from 9 saving throws to a deathspinner volley, and by the time my champion of Khorne got beaten in close combat by a pair of wraithguard it was all over. The champ was finally avenged by the raptor champ, who was the only survivor of the entire army.

So two losses, two crushing defeats and one victory left me 76th out of 94.
And I didn't even claim fluffiest army for my sub-optimised list of doom.

But as everyone agreed, the atmosphere of all the games was as good as it gets, and it was a super couple of days playing toy soldiers.
Next year a sensible army? Nah....

• Ancient
« Reply #56 on: April 8, 2013, 02:14:24 PM »
Was your Game 4 guy the same as my Game 5 guy? Pink polo shirt with Cegorach on the back, bright orange Eldar from Lugganath.

Offline Killing Time

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #57 on: April 8, 2013, 03:12:26 PM »
Was your Game 4 guy the same as my Game 5 guy? Pink polo shirt with Cegorach on the back, bright orange Eldar from Lugganath.

Yep. That's the guy.

Offline Guildmage Aech

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #58 on: April 8, 2013, 11:55:41 PM »
Final standings are on the club site, here!. If you follow the links for games, best armies and so on you can look at pretty pictures of tables, games, armies and stuff.
I think the highest placed 40KO member was Tarrin who sullied place 38 (out of 96 so a respectable finish).

Oh, Zilverscale! The battle report for our pre-tourny game is up over here!

Offline g00gle5

• Organisers Never Prosper
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • I would.
    • Promethean Games
  • Armies: Grey Knights, Necrons, Dark Eldar
« Reply #59 on: April 9, 2013, 05:16:04 AM »
I think the highest placed 40KO member was Tarrin who sullied place 38 (out of 96 so a respectable finish)

9th, thank you very much. And don't tell me Grey Knights don't count. The most common comment I got was "How are you winning, your army is tiny?" (20 MEQ, 10 TEQ, Dreadknight and Storm Raven).

And I lost a point for late list submission (due to my girlfriend being in surgery, but who's making excuses...).

A fantastic weekend, really well organised, I had a great time and was very thankful I wasn't the TO for once!

Game 1
Against Zilverscale and his nasty Eldar/Dark Eldar evading fliers from hell. I kept Zilverscale on the backfoot all game by playing a mixture of major aggression and big panzy hiding shenanigans behind a huge Necron plinth. When the game was called I had successfully taken my objective and denied him his but he pulled out his Vanquish Secret objective and it ended as a draw! Foiled by Vanquish's extra rules... (which were pretty fun).

Game 2
Against a lovely chap called Ollie and his Daemons. He was not impressed he drew against one of the 4 Grey Knight players and it all went swimmingly well for me until right at the end when you suddenly see the last-second objective denying and the VPs drop away. Luckily I completed my secret objective in this so I won 3 - 1, despite it could have easily been 12 - 1 in my favour. Crushing Victory.

Game 3
Really nice guy called Marc and his Blood Angels. Grey Knights do love a ruckus with Blood Angels as they counteract all their main strengths, so I felt confident going in. Relic and practically my whole army scoring saw me take it turn 1 with the Dreadknight and keep it until the last turn where he jumped off to go for Dante. However I completely forgot Dante had hit and run and the game became nail-bitingly close. A heroic Terminator instant death'ed Dante with his Hammer and with First Blood and Warlord against just his Warlord kill (Mordrak's Ghost Knights hate jumping in the way of meltas for him, useless dead bodyguards.) I got a Crushing Victory as I doubled his VPs at 2 - 1.

Good finish to the first day. Went out and got royally trollied with my 7 teammates. One of them also finished his day with 2 wins and 1 draw and we speculated what that could mean for tomorrow morning...

Game 4
So walking towards the table and I see my Space Wolves team mate. Game ended 12 - 5 to me and he was upset that it had to be me that ruined his undefeated run. Crushing Victory to me.

Game 5
OJ and his Crimson Fists. Another wonderful chap so I'm very thankful I had five great opponents across the two days. This was down to the wire. There was not a single point in this game that a dice roll didn't matter it was that close, and it shows you just how well the Swiss system works. Turn 5 victory to me. But we roll and get a turn 6. Now, once again I feel foiled by Vanquish's secret objectives. If I had read them carefully I could have played my last turn differently and get Mordrak to kill the 3-man Scout squad instead of the 2-man Tac squad in combat, however, I figured the Tac squad was more VPs so better overall. Turns out with Mordrak's remaining 3 wounds he would have seized the tac squad but as the Scouts equaled him there was no seize. Foiled again by a lack of knowledge of secret objectives! Draw.

Undefeated, lots of nice comments on my army and even one guy saying he would have voted for me for best sport. What else could I have asked for from a weekend of wargaming?

EDIT: Does anybody know what the winning list had in it? I heard it was rather nasty tabling four opponents...
« Last Edit: April 9, 2013, 05:26:43 AM by g00gle5 »

Battle Reports | Wargaming Articles | Shop